Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

noirstronaut posted:

Just for the sake of information, jailbreaking doesn't really need a guide. Just google "jailbreak [firmware you're on]" and download the app in the first link, follow its instructions, done.

This is not good advice. Sometimes the first search results are SEO engineered to appear there and come bundled with loads of crap software.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Bouchacha posted:

This is not good advice. Sometimes the first search results are SEO engineered to appear there and come bundled with loads of crap software.

I don't think this has been an issue since 2007.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Skilleddk posted:

well yeah obviously. And yes I need snapchat for (drawn) dick pics

OK, one never knows :)

I don't actually know the answer to your question, but this might be a genius bar/applecare question. :(

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

noirstronaut posted:

I don't think this has been an issue since 2007.

Not true. PageRank isn't perfect and people clicking on lovely results in Google has been a prime source of malware infection for a very long time and continues to be the case. Most computer users are not like us, you have to remember that and accommodate accordingly.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Michael Scott posted:

Not true. PageRank isn't perfect and people clicking on lovely results in Google has been a prime source of malware infection for a very long time and continues to be the case. Most computer users are not like us, you have to remember that and accommodate accordingly.

I think the people that are more like us are the ones looking to jailbreak their phone via recommendations from goons.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

I fell for one of the bundled jailbreak search results because I was in a rush and not actively paying attention. It wasn't anything particularly harmful but still. Therefore, I maintain that it isn't good advice to suggest to "just google it and click the first result"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It honestly takes a bit to find a good jailbreak link. Best to find an article talking about it and the link within.

Hell I'm sure someone is selling an ios9 jailbreak for $10 you'd find via Google

But idk why you guys aren't just using a thread specific to jail breaking

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

But idk why you guys aren't just using a thread specific to jail breaking
Because they're idiots most likely.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Gonna do a restore etc... but my wife's 6 has some 100% repeatable/replicable behavior when plugging in headphones. All 3 headphones we have at our disposal presently have inline controls, but it has happened with all 3.

(I did check for dust with a pin and with blowing.)

The things happening:

1) Plug in headphones. Without even touching the phone, Siri comes on and is like "how can I help you.

2) Whatever was last listened to starts autoplaying. Sometimes even minutes after plugging in the headphones, but it does happen.

3) Plugging in headset to continue a phone call often terminates the call.

Obviously my course of action is a restore and then if still bad, a trip to the Apple store. No biggie. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced or heard about this. :)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Gonna do a restore etc... but my wife's 6 has some 100% repeatable/replicable behavior when plugging in headphones. All 3 headphones we have at our disposal presently have inline controls, but it has happened with all 3.

(I did check for dust with a pin and with blowing.)

The things happening:

1) Plug in headphones. Without even touching the phone, Siri comes on and is like "how can I help you.

2) Whatever was last listened to starts autoplaying. Sometimes even minutes after plugging in the headphones, but it does happen.

3) Plugging in headset to continue a phone call often terminates the call.

Obviously my course of action is a restore and then if still bad, a trip to the Apple store. No biggie. I was just curious if anyone else had experienced or heard about this. :)

Those are all things that happen by using the button on the headset. It sounds like it's shorted in the 3.5mm jack on the iPhone.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
I've got a Verizon iPhone 4, and an AT&T 4S that both need unlocking. Mom gave them to me and does not have access to the Apple ID email accounts associated with either. I've looked around for bypass software but it looks like a lot of garbage adware juke sites. Already got duped once. Anyone know a legit site I can get a bypass from or are these phones just paperweights now?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

slowm posted:

I've got a Verizon iPhone 4, and an AT&T 4S that both need unlocking. Mom gave them to me and does not have access to the Apple ID email accounts associated with either. I've looked around for bypass software but it looks like a lot of garbage adware juke sites. Already got duped once. Anyone know a legit site I can get a bypass from or are these phones just paperweights now?

You are SOL.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
So they're pretty much just iPods now?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What do you mean when you say "unlock"? Are they carrier locked or activation/FMI locked or both? If it's FMI locked then I don't even think you can use them as iPods.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I assumed FMI locked, given the Apple ID mention. If that's the case, then you can't even get through the setup workflow if you were to factory reset them, they are bricks unless you have the Apple ID password.

If you're talking carrier lock, then you're still out of luck on the Verizon iPhone 4, there is no "unlocking" a CDMA phone with no SIM slot. Use it as a really slow iPod.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
If it's Apple locked your best (only?) bet is to try to reset the password online somehow, like hopefully she set up a recovery number or email that she does have access to.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Might try to sell the 4 on Craigslist to someone on a Verizon contract or just use it for wifi and music. The 4S is hosed, mom doesn't have the Apple ID password and the email she used was a work email and she doesn't work there anymore. I'm fine with just getting a new phone but I don't want to just toss two working smart phones in the trash.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
How could you lose access to an email address forever? If it's a work-related thing I'm sure her workplace or Apple would be able to work with you to change your Mom's account around if it's obvious she's the owner. It's not like you're squabbling over a couple bucks, those are expensive devices that you should have access to.

Can't Apple do something after the issue is escalated above whatever call center they have these days?

maduin
Mar 4, 2003

Michael Scott posted:

How could you lose access to an email address forever? If it's a work-related thing I'm sure her workplace or Apple would be able to work with you to change your Mom's account around if it's obvious she's the owner. It's not like you're squabbling over a couple bucks, those are expensive devices that you should have access to.

Can't Apple do something after the issue is escalated above whatever call center they have these days?

I doubt Apple will touch it; they're pretty specific about what will happen if you're dumb enough to lock yourself out.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

slowm posted:

Might try to sell the 4 on Craigslist to someone on a Verizon contract or just use it for wifi and music. The 4S is hosed, mom doesn't have the Apple ID password and the email she used was a work email and she doesn't work there anymore. I'm fine with just getting a new phone but I don't want to just toss two working smart phones in the trash.
You could sell them on eBay for parts, so there's that, at least. Probably won't get a whole lot, but yeah, if they're FMI locked, you're SOL.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

If she can prove without a shadow of a doubt that she was the original owner of the phone, Apple can circumvent the FMI lockout, but I understand that it's an extremely rare occurrence when they do and is somewhat of a hassle for the customer.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
I have a feeling mom contacted them about it and gave up. She told me "you just need to get a new phone". I think it's possible we could find a solution but it's not worth the hassle and would rather me just YOLO a new phone.

slowm
Sep 5, 2013

live slow, die whenevs
Moms.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.
Anyone having an issue with Spotlight where you enter a multi-word sesrch and then when it ends up in Safari, one or more of the words are truncated from the search? Like if I were searching for "brown dog fox", when Safari loads up the search it ends up as just searching for "brown"? It's been happening a lot lately and is annoying.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Is it normal for there to be no audio when trying to play video podcasts at 1.5x/2x speeds from an iOS device to an Apple TV via AirPlay?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
If your mom used a work email and doesn't work there anymore, she can easily contact Apple support about it. I don't know your mom, but I'm almost drat sure she just doesn't want to bother with it all. Her Apple ID has both security questions, her address, full name, etc, all stuff she can prove are valid and hers to Apple support.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Are there any cheaper Lightning to USB Cables that are built ok, or is just the official Apple one the go-to?

My wife bought a couple cheapo ones that obviously broke really quickly, so I'm looking to replace them. Don't mind buying Apple if it's the only thing that will last, but thought I'd ask.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

triplexpac posted:

Are there any cheaper Lightning to USB Cables that are built ok, or is just the official Apple one the go-to?

My wife bought a couple cheapo ones that obviously broke really quickly, so I'm looking to replace them. Don't mind buying Apple if it's the only thing that will last, but thought I'd ask.

Amazon makes an AamzonBasics certified lightning cable for $11. I've had pretty good luck with AmazonBasics branded cables and equipment like their USB hubs. I'm not sure how much I'd trust other off brands.

Anker also makes a braided one for about the same price as Apple's, but I imagine it doesn't exhibit the stress-cracking that the Apple one's do. It's got really good reviews on Amazon as well.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

flosofl posted:

Amazon makes an AamzonBasics certified lightning cable for $11. I've had pretty good luck with AmazonBasics branded cables and equipment like their USB hubs. I'm not sure how much I'd trust other off brands.

Anker also makes a braided one for about the same price as Apple's, but I imagine it doesn't exhibit the stress-cracking that the Apple one's do. It's got really good reviews on Amazon as well.

I was going to recommend monoprice but they are sold out of all lightning cables until march except for 4 and 6 inch long ones.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Hopefully I found the correct thread to ask this...

Iphone 5S running newest version of ios8. About 10 or 15% of the time when I drag down on a home screen and do a spotlight search I don't get any Apps returned in the results. I'll get Contact results and Bookmark results for my search term but no Apps show up in the list. The other 85%+ of the time Apps show up fine. Anyone seen this and have a fix?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lawen posted:

Hopefully I found the correct thread to ask this...

Iphone 5S running newest version of ios8. About 10 or 15% of the time when I drag down on a home screen and do a spotlight search I don't get any Apps returned in the results. I'll get Contact results and Bookmark results for my search term but no Apps show up in the list. The other 85%+ of the time Apps show up fine. Anyone seen this and have a fix?

Do you have millions of apps?

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

Do you have millions of apps?

Yeah, quite a few...like 250 (just did a rough count and holy poo poo). I take it it's a known issue with having hundreds of Apps on the device? Kinda ironic since having that many apps is why I need spotlight search to find poo poo for me in the first place.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

Lawen posted:

Yeah, quite a few...like 250 (just did a rough count and holy poo poo). I take it it's a known issue with having hundreds of Apps on the device? Kinda ironic since having that many apps is why I need spotlight search to find poo poo for me in the first place.

Yeah, it just takes awhile to propagate. It should work after a bit, though.

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)

Lawen posted:

If you go to General-Settings-About it will tell you how many you have.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

noirstronaut posted:

Yeah, it just takes awhile to propagate. It should work after a bit, though.

Makes sense and also explains why I'll sometimes get an app result with the default golden mean icon in results. Any idea what forces the reindex of Apps? First time you search after a reboot, maybe?

Thanks for the help.

marmot25
May 16, 2004

Yam Slacker
Spotlight app search being broken in iOS is absolutely a known bug. I have the same issue with less than half that number of apps and on a 6.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
Spotlight works fine for me whenever I've used it, but I really wish they'd implement some sort of "jump to" functionality when searching for a bit of text in your messages. Whenever you click on the returned result (whether through Spotlight or the Messages app itself) you're always placed at the end of the most current message, nowhere near the term you're searching for.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Spotlight won't ever find "YouTube" for me. I have the app, everything else shows up, I have no idea.

Dream of Janney
Aug 25, 2013

Corsi Enthusiast
I'm thinking about getting an iPhone 6 Plus today, and since I can't find a post on it in the thread, what are the generally recommended cases? Obviously want protection, but looking to minimize bulk too.

EDIT: After digging around here a little, it would seem some variation of a Spigen case, or the Apple leather case are pretty recommended. I'm pretty good about not dropping it, so I'd say grip/lack of thickness takes a slight edge over military-grade protection.

Dream of Janney fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 20, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I love the slim Spigen case. Had mine on the 6+ since day one and it's perfect.