Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Echeveria posted:

Details, details. It's in the oven at any rate. I only had really expensive bottles of red wine, so I used a splash of beer instead. Also the obvious no cheese thing. My poor husband misses out on all sorts of deliciousness because of me.

Open wine, use wine, drink wine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Drink and Fight posted:

Open wine, use wine, drink wine.

We're both in crummy moods. Drinking usually makes it worse.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Echeveria posted:

We're both in crummy moods. Drinking usually makes it worse.

You're doing it wrong.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You're doing it wrong.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Drink and Fight posted:

You're doing it wrong.
Coming from you? With that user name? :banjo:

Edit: operation: gumbo continuing as planned. Roux currently the color of milk chocolate.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 17, 2015

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

GrAviTy84 posted:

pedalboard pic snype

downsized to this from a flight case and about a year ago cause I was doing less road gigs and more in town gigs and multiple per-day gigs so portability was def an upgrade
Got any opinions on pedalboard power supplies? I usually play clean (because ~*jazz tones*~) but sometimes throw a compression pedal or maybe a little reverb in there and the power supply noise makes me meshugga. Unfortunately powering pedals is one of those things that rapidly veers off into crazy audiophile only orient-your-batteries-along-the-Ley-lines horseshit so looking online for reviews is looking into the mouth of madness.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Will post mine tomorrow. I've got some sort of voodoo labs thing powering it all.

All of these cooking guitar players idgi

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I'm using a joyo jp02 right now. If you have a ton of pedals with a lot of digital stuff you'll want something with isolated outs like a voodoo power plant or similar to keep the internal clock noise isolated from other pedals. If you only have a few analog pedals like a compressor and maybe a light drive, a visual sound 1spot is probably fine.

Fwiw, the only digital pedal on my board is the timeline and I have that on it's own power supply for that noise problem. The rest are on the jp02 which is a fancy daisy chain with higher voltage outs for certain pedals that run at 18V.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[
Do range hoods solve the problem of aerosolized oil coating everything after deglazing a pan?

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

geetee posted:

Do range hoods solve the problem of aerosolized oil coating everything after deglazing a pan?

yep (if they powerful enuf)

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

SubG posted:

Got any opinions on pedalboard power supplies? I usually play clean (because ~*jazz tones*~) but sometimes throw a compression pedal or maybe a little reverb in there and the power supply noise makes me meshugga. Unfortunately powering pedals is one of those things that rapidly veers off into crazy audiophile only orient-your-batteries-along-the-Ley-lines horseshit so looking online for reviews is looking into the mouth of madness.

Its been mentioned already, the voodoo labs is the sort of common choice. I use a t-rex fuel tank since its the same thing without a sag channel and was cheaper. In most cases though, Ive found that a onespot with carefully routed wires works fine. YMMV

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

geetee posted:

:aaaaa: Is that why I have to scour lacquer-esque oil off of poo poo? Jesus christ.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Echeveria posted:

My sheppard's pie recipe blows, give me a better one?

Cook's Illustrated shepherd's pie is by far the best I've ever had. It uses milk though.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

RedTonic posted:

:aaaaa: Is that why I have to scour lacquer-esque oil off of poo poo? Jesus christ.

Yeah it took me a bit to figure out too. Using a grease screen helps a little.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009
For some reason my partner has become increasingly sensitive to me cutting onions / garlic. In the summer it's fine because we just crack a window, crank the (dinky, not very strong, consumer-grade) hood fan, and maybe throw on the ceiling fan to try to get it out. But today he said that garlic and onions were "not worth" the pain in his eyeballs, particularly not for grated garlic.

I do the trick with vinegar on the cutting board & knife, I guess I'll start wiping down the grater / microplane if I need to grate garlic, my knives are very sharp, what the gently caress else can I do? (Besides sever, because obviously I am not going to stop cooking with garlic and onions for the sake of his poor baby eyeballs, he doesn't need eyeballs to eat my goddamn food.)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Croatoan posted:

Cook's Illustrated shepherd's pie is by far the best I've ever had. It uses milk though.

I'll try this one next. Husband really likes shepherds pie, so I'll make it again soon. Milk can easily be subbed out, or just removed it it's not essential. Thanks for the recipe.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Nicol Bolas posted:

For some reason my partner has become increasingly sensitive to me cutting onions / garlic. In the summer it's fine because we just crack a window, crank the (dinky, not very strong, consumer-grade) hood fan, and maybe throw on the ceiling fan to try to get it out. But today he said that garlic and onions were "not worth" the pain in his eyeballs, particularly not for grated garlic.

I do the trick with vinegar on the cutting board & knife, I guess I'll start wiping down the grater / microplane if I need to grate garlic, my knives are very sharp, what the gently caress else can I do? (Besides sever, because obviously I am not going to stop cooking with garlic and onions for the sake of his poor baby eyeballs, he doesn't need eyeballs to eat my goddamn food.)

Soak a cloth in urine and drape it over his face a la first world war emergency gas measures.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
How does garlic hurt his eyes?

Sounds like he needs a big dose of HTFU.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Nicol Bolas posted:

http://smile.amazon.com/Mirror-Hand-Large-Black/dp/B00027YZKM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421539963&sr=8-2&keywords=hand+mirror

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

RedTonic posted:

yes. my wife and I sold our last place (a condo) last year and bought a house. once we moved everything out it took us like a solid week of spending hours after work scrubbing cabinet surfaces down and poo poo - we had an open kitchen and even furniture in our living room has oil lacquer on it (I cook hard, sear my steaks with the heat of a million suns)

we vowed the first kitchen improvement we'd make was getting a gigantic gently caress off vent hood. I haven't really cooked with it yet, but I'm anticipating it being a gamechanger. we've been pussyfooting around cooking poo poo since we moved in, as we don't want to repeat our previous LifeMistakes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Man the biggest benefit I found when I got a hood with duct work going to the roof was the fact that I could use the oven in the summer without the kitchen getting up into the 90's. gently caress this state sometimes.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Does tempura batter usually have dairy in it? I went out for sushi, and I'm reacting like I ate dairy.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Echeveria posted:

Does tempura batter usually have dairy in it? I went out for sushi, and I'm reacting like I ate dairy.

Nope.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Nicol Bolas posted:

Do some onions hurt worse than others? Like are you using super storage onions? Maybe shallots, white/red onions, elephant garlic, leeks, or green onions would lessen the effects.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

To expand, most tempura batters are a combination of rice flour/cornstarch/flour (usually only 1 or 2 of these and never just flour), egg, and water/soda water.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Anybody got experience with active filters (carbon I guess) instead of a vent hood - I am eyeing something like this:
http://mobile.falmec.co.uk/Products/COLLECTIONS/E.ion-Collection/Mare-E.ion

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Can't wait to get a real hood. :ohdear: My electric kettle was near the stove for ages, and now it has this uh. Disgusting look. (Still works great!)

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

pile of brown posted:

To expand, most tempura batters are a combination of rice flour/cornstarch/flour (usually only 1 or 2 of these and never just flour), egg, and water/soda water.

That's what I thought. I'm not sure what it was then.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

GrAviTy84 posted:

pedalboard pic snype

downsized to this from a flight case and about a year ago cause I was doing less road gigs and more in town gigs and multiple per-day gigs so portability was def an upgrade

So this is mine, inside a repurposed suitcase.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Mr. Wiggles posted:

So this is mine, inside a repurposed suitcase.

Woo messy board bros :hfive:

Have you considered putting the volume before time effects and after dirt? Then you can get pretty delay trails with swells.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I do that with my guitar knob if I need to. having the pedal as the last thing gives me the ability to instantly cut off my sound for a break if i need to, as well as do a better job adjusting total volume live since there's never sound guys worth a poo poo anywhere if at all.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

Eeyo posted:

Do some onions hurt worse than others? Like are you using super storage onions? Maybe shallots, white/red onions, elephant garlic, leeks, or green onions would lessen the effects.

It's mostly regular sweet / bulk bagged onions, but the other day it happened with elephant garlic. I got some leeks and we'll see how they do, but shallots are definitely too expensive to straight up replace all my onions. (I use a lot of onions.) And I refuse to forego making onion soup ever again.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

If he's genuinely feeling pain in his eyes when you cut alliums in the other room, then I'd encourage him to see a doctor, because that's abnormal.

And buy him a pair of goggles.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

bombhand posted:

If he's genuinely feeling pain in his eyes when you cut alliums in the other room, then I'd encourage him to see a doctor, because that's abnormal.

Yeah, this. Unexplained sensitivities to things that one was previously not sensitive to should probably get checked out

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

Yeah, this. Unexplained sensitivities to things that one was previously not sensitive to should probably get checked out

Agreed. But a temporary fix could be having a misting bottle with water nearby, just spray over your cutting area every few minutes on the finest setting. It works wonders, I'm guessing it captures the evil spirits of the onion god and drowns them or something. Or maybe it just binds all the aerosoled allium particles. Either way, it really makes a difference.

Echeveria
Aug 26, 2014

Dane posted:

Agreed. But a temporary fix could be having a misting bottle with water nearby, just spray over your cutting area every few minutes on the finest setting. It works wonders, I'm guessing it captures the evil spirits of the onion god and drowns them or something. Or maybe it just binds all the aerosoled allium particles. Either way, it really makes a difference.

Alternately you could get one of these types of things

My mom gave it to me for Christmas, and I use it pretty much exclusively for onions. It's hand powered, you just pull the handle and it spins the blade. 2-3 pulls for coarse, 5-6 pulls for finely chopped. Then I use a garlic press for my garlic, instead of chopping it.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Woo messy board bros :hfive:

Have you considered putting the volume before time effects and after dirt? Then you can get pretty delay trails with swells.

You guys have cool boards, but holy poo poo cables! (my cable ratsnest is underneath a tier so it cant be seen). I put my volume near the front for swells and fast volume changes during strumming when I cant quite reach the knob...

Tonight is monthly dinner party with :effort: food. Yay. Underseasoned chili with mild cheddar cheese as a topping. Im bringing some onions, tomatoes, vinegar, and hotsauce to try to salvage this...

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Happy Hat posted:

Anybody got experience with active filters (carbon I guess) instead of a vent hood - I am eyeing something like this:
http://mobile.falmec.co.uk/Products/COLLECTIONS/E.ion-Collection/Mare-E.ion

I don't want to be a Debbie downer, because I love you happyhat - but my experience with recirculating hoods has been horrible. I've used 3 or 4 with varying sorts of "filters", and they've been about as helpful as a jackrabbit caught with its britches half-mast in the middle of a shanghai crosswalk.

The technical specs on your link aren't even talking about airflow volume or CFM or anything - I'd be wary. If you own your home and can punch holes in the wall, I'd figure out how to get some real venting in there.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Is there a restaurant called Debbie Döner, because there should be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

AllTerrineVehicle posted:

I think we figured it out for this, actually! Last eye appointment he had, he was diagnosed with whatever the thing is where you don't produce enough tears. So basically the enzyme that rips your eyes up sticks around in his eyeballs longer because he produces less tears to wash it away. The solution for both this and the whole thing in general is to go get artificial tears and use them to supplement natural ones. So the solution is what I originally advised, which was something along the lines of "suck it up, cupcake" unless he wants to go finally get those fake tears for his man eyeballs.