Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Yeah he's a complete chump if you're a strider, just jump onto his face and stab him in the eyeball repeatedly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Neo Helbeast posted:

I see no problem with fighting the Beholder over and over, it's a fun fight and gives off a lot of experience.

I wish they made it a possible rematch in the Black Abbey, but eh! Its a good fight.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

It respawns on a five game-day timer after you kill Daimon the first time.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The thrill of slaying dragons with a giant gently caress-off hammer in Dragon Age: Inquisition brought me back to this game, and it is still such a blast. Last time, I ended up going Magic Archer, but this time I decided to steer towards Assassin, although I am tempted to go back to Warrior if only because one-shotting a chimera never stops being amazing. If any of you guys are still playing on the 360, feel free to take my Pawn for a spin *cough, cough*.

Anyway, I had a couple of questions. Is there an inclination that makes Shield and Greatsword Pawns more likely to use their spring board skills? It's not an issue right now that I'm an Assassin, but if I do go back to Warrior it could help against drakes and stuff. And is it a bad idea to bring two magic based Pawns? I always tend to try to have one Pawn of each general type, but having a Sorcerer raining hellfire while a Mage throws out status healing spells sounds very useful. Finally, what's the best bow-skills for an Assassin? Aside from Blast Arrows, I mean. It felt like I had a much easier time downing large flying enemies as a Strider.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I got about halfway through this game when it was released but now I think I might want to start from the beginning and try to get all the way through. Are there still enough pawns to use on 360 or will that be a problem?

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Crowetron posted:

Anyway, I had a couple of questions. Is there an inclination that makes Shield and Greatsword Pawns more likely to use their spring board skills?

The only inclinations you should ever use are scather / challenger in either order. If you want your pawns to use springboard, switch to a vocation that has it and fling them at dragons for a while, they should eventually get the idea.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

If there's one thing that Dragon Age: Inquisition has made me realize, it's that I want Dragon's Dogma to have a grappling hook.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Crowetron posted:

And is it a bad idea to bring two magic based Pawns? I always tend to try to have one Pawn of each general type, but having a Sorcerer raining hellfire while a Mage throws out status healing spells sounds very useful.
It's actually better to bring 2 sorcerers, as they'll mirror each others' spells and wreck poo poo. You shouldn't need much healing as you get higher-level anyway and you should have enough items to get you through fights.

Lotish posted:

If there's one thing that Dragon Age: Inquisition has made me realize, it's that I want Dragon's Dogma to have a grappling hook.
Striders sort-of have one. I think it's called Implication? Doesn't have the DA effect of pulling them to you or you to them, but it yanks them down and is helpful as all get out. It will even stagger large humanoid minibosses.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I got about halfway through this game when it was released but now I think I might want to start from the beginning and try to get all the way through. Are there still enough pawns to use on 360 or will that be a problem?

I just started playing and got to like level thirty, I haven't had any problems finding the kinds of pawns I want. In fact I've got more options than I need, since I still don't understand the game very well.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Basebf555 posted:

I've got a level ∞ you can use, GT: Mechwarrior.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Neo Helbeast posted:

I've got a level ∞ you can use, GT: Mechwarrior.

Keep in mind that high level pawns will soak up a lot of XP and make leveling slower.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Cool sounds like I'm back in. Last time I crapped out because they drop a Cockatrice on you without any warning really(I think it attacks the main hub city) and I had no clue how to deal with it. I was a "jump on things and stab them until they die" character and I couldn't figure out a way to not get petrified by it within 30 seconds. My mage pawn also was getting petrified so he was no help. Are there anti-petrification items I can make sure I stock up on to prevent that this time?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Crowetron posted:

Anyway, I had a couple of questions. Is there an inclination that makes Shield and Greatsword Pawns more likely to use their spring board skills?
Utilitarian might, but I can't really confirm it. I don't think I ever had a pawn equip those skills.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm pretty sure you're right. I remember putting Utilitarian on my guys a lot, but when i'd give them Springboard they were always pretty bad about when to use it and would go into position at the most useless times.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Basebf555 posted:

Cool sounds like I'm back in. Last time I crapped out because they drop a Cockatrice on you without any warning really(I think it attacks the main hub city) and I had no clue how to deal with it. I was a "jump on things and stab them until they die" character and I couldn't figure out a way to not get petrified by it within 30 seconds. My mage pawn also was getting petrified so he was no help. Are there anti-petrification items I can make sure I stock up on to prevent that this time?
Yes, but I'll be damned if I can remember the name. Whatever the hell they're called, I do remember that you can find one in the cave of the Dragonforged, so look there and read item descriptions.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Surprisingly, Warrior and Assassin have great synergy and by spending a lot of time in both, the only things you'll be lacking are Mag and MDef, and gently caress those stats anyway, you're going FULL RED!

Crowetron posted:

Utilitarians will use these kinds of support skills more often without training, but on the other hand utilitarian is best left to Strider and Mage pawns. titties has the right idea by simply modeling the behavior a few times successfully; your pawn will get it eventually.

quote:

And is it a bad idea to bring two magic based Pawns?

Two properly-raised Sorcs will dual cast, which is a truly magical thing. A triple Bolide will annihilate any group less than a goreclops. A Sorc and a support Mage can buff and support each other, but they'll run into trouble with big bruisin' baddies.

quote:

Finally, what's the best bow-skills for an Assassin?

Lyncean Sight is great. I've had mixed success with Puncture Dart: it's great for mobs and occasional dudes with shields but it is wasted on singular monsters. Fivefold and Mighty Bend are both bread and butter skills. Sadly, by the time you get around to Plegic Arrow, it stops being very useful.

quote:

If any of you guys are still playing on the 360, feel free to take my Pawn for a spin *cough, cough*.

I have a ~160 support Mage with Legion's Might (auto-resurrecting!), if you don't mind high level pawns cutting down your XP growth. Add me and I'll probably take yours out for a spin sometime, too. GT: Pacouranga

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Basebf555 posted:

Secret Softeners are the single-person unpetrification medicines, and I'm pretty sure Camellia just sort of sells those. Cockatrice Liquors are the ones that cure everyone in the party.

Panaceas will also do it, of course, and Sorcerers have High Voidspell if you're high enough level for that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Picayune posted:

Secret Softeners are the single-person unpetrification medicines, and I'm pretty sure Camellia just sort of sells those. Cockatrice Liquors are the ones that cure everyone in the party.

Panaceas will also do it, of course, and Sorcerers have High Voidspell if you're high enough level for that.

Ok it seems like I have a few different options so I'll be prepared this time. As I remember it the thing attacks the main city without warning and I couldn't back out of the encounter to do more prep for some reason. Or maybe some other game came out right around the same time and I just never put all that much effort into finding a solution.

SoldadoDeTone
Apr 20, 2006

Hold on tight!
I've been on a sword and shield kick lately, and I'm interested in starting a new game with the intention of being a fighter in the end game with decent damage (not full on tank). Does anyone have advice for how to build this character? I was thinking of starting as a mage and then leveling sorcerer to level 20 or 25 to get a sizable amount of magic defense to start. Then I would switch to assassin for 10-20 levels for a physical attack and stamina boost and then finally to fighter for the more balanced attack and defense growth. Am I a complete idiot?

If this idea is remotely feasible, what abilities would you recommend for a high level fighter?

I backtracked through a lot of the thread and could not find this information. I'm sorry if this has been covered before.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I think I'll start as a fighter and then make sure to get those levels of sorcerer. No sense in doubling up on magic classes.

SoldadoDeTone fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 16, 2015

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

SoldadoDeTone posted:

I've been on a sword and shield kick lately, and I'm interested in starting a new game with the intention of being a fighter in the end game with decent damage (not full on tank). Does anyone have advice for how to build this character? I was thinking of starting as a mage and then leveling sorcerer to level 20 or 25 to get a sizable amount of magic defense to start. Then I would switch to assassin for 10-20 levels for a physical attack and stamina boost and then finally to fighter for the more balanced attack and defense growth. Am I a complete idiot?

If this idea is remotely feasible, what abilities would you recommend for a high level fighter?

I backtracked through a lot of the thread and could not find this information. I'm sorry if this has been covered before.

Edit: Upon further reflection, I think I'll start as a fighter and then make sure to get those levels of sorcerer. No sense in doubling up on magic classes.

If you mean endgame as in ~lvl 50 Ready To Fight Griggs endgame, then it's absolutely feasible. I have no idea why you want to dump so much into blue classes if you're aiming to be sword and board. You could level Magick Archer or Mystic Knight to focus on MDef while not losing out so much on physical growth, or if you're willing to loot around you could pick up some rings that slow down burning/thundershock/freezing/whatever proc-ing and just focus on those Assassin and Warrior levels without worrying about MDef.

If you're looking for straight physical chutzpa augments: Vehemence (Fighter), Ferocity, Proficiency, and Clout (Warrior) are all great. Bloodlust, Autonomy, and Exhiliration can boost Strength under certain circumstances. If you get hit a lot, you'll want Bastion (for Def) and Awareness (MDef).

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe
I'm fairly confident that I will never kill the online Ur-Dragon. I just made 5 attempts in grace mode and burned through a 150 conqueror's periapts and 30 liquid vims and only popped one heart each time.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Neo Helbeast posted:

I'm fairly confident that I will never kill the online Ur-Dragon. I just made 5 attempts in grace mode and burned through a 150 conqueror's periapts and 30 liquid vims and only popped one heart each time.

Whelp I lied.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Neo Helbeast posted:

Are you using a Ranger with Tenfold Flurry and Blast Arrows?

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

No, 2 4k atk fighters and 2 3k magic sorcerers, I stole a gamefaqs user's strats and went after the hearts in a specific order. And of course I got everything except to the two weapons I wanted and that was way to much effort to do again. So, I'm looking for a Lambent Shield and a Talarian White, willing to trade for basically anything.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you're in Dark Arisen, I think you should just go get BBI gear instead.
Unless you want them as trophies or whatever.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Man, I wish that Capcom would release this as an PS4 title, I'd buy that day one, no problem..

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Same here.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
PRetty much.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

SoldadoDeTone posted:

This fighter trick comes online pretty late but dragonforged duke's/queen's clothing and stone/steel will will both halve all physical damage you take, and they stack. Duke's clothing requires beating the main quest on hard and the best ways to dragonforge are all post game anyways, so it's mainly useful in bitterblack.

But if you have both the original game and dark arisen you can start out with the queen 's clothing by having a savefile for orginal game when you start dark arisen and could farm the grove drake to dragon forge it before the end game.

If you have about base 500 defense before armor and 5000 Hp you can survive the eliminator grab once at full health and cursed dragon bites barely scratch you. It's hilarious.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

Nahxela posted:

If you're in Dark Arisen, I think you should just go get BBI gear instead.
Unless you want them as trophies or whatever.

Well that's the thing, I have pretty much everything else except a few BBI armor pieces. So it's just me wanting to round out a complete collection.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Neo Helbeast posted:

No, 2 4k atk fighters and 2 3k magic sorcerers, I stole a gamefaqs user's strats and went after the hearts in a specific order. And of course I got everything except to the two weapons I wanted and that was way to much effort to do again. So, I'm looking for a Lambent Shield and a Talarian White, willing to trade for basically anything.
What platform are you on? Pretty sure I have a couple Lambents.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety
I've been having a lot of fun with Dark Arisen the last few days, really enjoying the SotC style monster climbing though I wish magic focused classes had a few spells that encouraged jumping onto big enemies and casting pointblank nukes.

Speaking of which, is there any effective (and actually damaging) way a sorcerer can fight a golem? My fighters were able to take out all its lower points, but when I got down to a final upper arm weakspot none of my dudes would go after it and I was eventually forced into unequipping my staff, jumping onto its upper arm, and just baby-tap punching it for around three minutes. Don't get me wrong, seeing my wizened wizard hugging the flailing golem limb as it crushed my other dudes and just slapping it over and over again was pretty hilarious, but I'd love to know if there's any magic or enchantment that would work against it.

Pawns are very neat, hired companions being able to give quest and general monster advice is a real nice way of incorporating diegetic hints and tips. While obviously they're useful in battle, I think their ability to smash breakables and pick up loot is my favorite aspect as far as them making the game more enjoyable. I gave all my dudes pickaxes so I pretty much never miss hard to notice mining nodes, and going into a loot filled room and seeing them empty it in seconds is really satisfying.

I do notice that they don't seem to pick up dropped loot very effectively, and I'll often miss tiny item drops (like golem pendants, or the little phantasm astracites that love to fall into bogs and be lost forever). Would increasing my main pawn's acquisitor inclination make him snappier with getting those, or is making it a secondary not that much of improvement / actually a bad thing to do as far as combat is concerned? Honestly I wouldn't mind them seeking out items during combat because I pretty much do the same thing, unless it was super obnoxious and utterly handicapped their fighting capability.

If they do a sequel I hope they provide a little more granularity to modifying pawn AI, having a simple set of preferred actions and priority lists that could be actively modified by the player would go a huge way in making them feel even more useful. I made a pretty good Haggar from Final Fight and would love the ability to force him to only barechestedly grapple enemies, and while it sometimes works out with him holding down wolves and hugging lizard men it just isn't consistent enough for my liking. Would utilitarian as a primary get him to do that?

Haggar's a lvl 37ish scather / mitigator warrior with sinew and suasion if anyone wants to use him (PS3 gamertag Everdraed), against my inner desires I ended up covering his chest with armor and giving him a beefy weapon and he seems to kick butt decently enough.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
It is a goddamn tragedy Capcom hasn't done more with this franchise.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Everdraed posted:

Speaking of which, is there any effective (and actually damaging) way a sorcerer can fight a golem? My fighters were able to take out all its lower points, but when I got down to a final upper arm weakspot none of my dudes would go after it and I was eventually forced into unequipping my staff, jumping onto its upper arm, and just baby-tap punching it for around three minutes. Don't get me wrong, seeing my wizened wizard hugging the flailing golem limb as it crushed my other dudes and just slapping it over and over again was pretty hilarious, but I'd love to know if there's any magic or enchantment that would work against it.

Funnily enough, equipping the Bloody Knuckle ring from Bitterblack Isle and punching them is the most effective way. Since that requires killing high level enemies, you're probably out of luck unless you switch classes.

BattleTech
Jun 6, 2010

Is this easy mode?
Fun Shoe

SubponticatePoster posted:

What platform are you on? Pretty sure I have a couple Lambents.

360, If you have any shields I'd absolutely love it my gamertag is Mechwarrior.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die

Everdraed posted:

barechestedly

You could try holding down enemies yourself to see if he would pick up the habit there, don't know about the inclination.

There are a couple of belt armors in the game, the earliest one you can get either in Cassardis or from Reynard if I remember correctly though it does cover the chest a bit. Late game and BBI does have belts that don't cover the chest.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

Calaveron posted:

It is a goddamn tragedy Capcom hasn't done more with this franchise.

I would totally forget about Dead Rising 3 PC completely not working for me months after release if they'd just release Dragon's Dogma on Steam.

Everdraed
Sep 7, 2003

spankety, spankety, spankety

mirarant posted:

You could try holding down enemies yourself to see if he would pick up the habit there, don't know about the inclination.

There are a couple of belt armors in the game, the earliest one you can get either in Cassardis or from Reynard if I remember correctly though it does cover the chest a bit. Late game and BBI does have belts that don't cover the chest.
I think I found a skull belt early on which worked well enough, but it's the lack of constant grappling and fist fighting that brings Haggar down.

Dragon's Dogma really needs a monkish hand-to-hand / pure wrestling vocation. Picking up wolves and throwing them at gryphons, pile driving lizards into wraiths, just lariating goblins for minutes as a mage sits atop your shoulders and shoots a constantly rotating stream of flames.

Everdraed fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 18, 2015

Konig
Feb 24, 2012

This stink up's mega
bam-bam to the J-Stop
So I've decided to pick this game back up, and I want to give Mystic Knight a proper go. I'm torn between two builds; in both of them I wanted a minimum of 500 Attack so I could still dish out a respectable amount of pain, but the main difference is what happens after L100, either 100 levels in Sorcerer or 100 levels in MK. I'm leaning towards the MK one, simply because MK is the end goal for the build, and gently caress dicking around in a class I don't want to play for 100 levels, but am I going to miss that ~800 Stam and ~130 Magick?
code:
Magick-Heavy Superoffense

HP:    3450
Stam:  3768
Att:   500
Mag:   683
Def:   240
MDef:  413

Tankier, More Balanced Offense

HP:    3800
Stam:  2968
Mag:   558
Def:   315
MDef:  513

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Konig posted:

So I've decided to pick this game back up, and I want to give Mystic Knight a proper go. I'm torn between two builds; in both of them I wanted a minimum of 500 Attack so I could still dish out a respectable amount of pain, but the main difference is what happens after L100, either 100 levels in Sorcerer or 100 levels in MK. I'm leaning towards the MK one, simply because MK is the end goal for the build, and gently caress dicking around in a class I don't want to play for 100 levels, but am I going to miss that ~800 Stam and ~130 Magick?
code:
Magick-Heavy Superoffense

HP:    3450
Stam:  3768
Mag:   683
Def:   240
MDef:  413

Tankier, More Balanced Offense

HP:    3800
Stam:  2968
Mag:   558
Def:   315
MDef:  513

You'll miss the extra Stamina when you're running around throwing down GC's and Sigils and keeping the party enchanted AND trying to get between enemies and your casters, riposting attackers the whole time. I'm spoiled by playing stamina-lite classes like MA and Ranger, because whenever I give MK a go, and I'm right around 3000 too, I'm ALWAYS running out mid-fight. That's my two cents, anyway. The ~130 Mag won't make or break your build.

• Locked thread