Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robzilla
Jul 28, 2003

READ IT AND WEEP JEWBOY!
Fun Shoe

Evilreaver posted:

As a PS2 Megasperg, I can say:

SOE tends to take five steps forward (:buddy:) and 2d6 steps back (:geno: to :stonk:) every patch. Sometimes they add a bunch of cool things that genuinely improve the gameplay while only breaking one thing that half the people loved, sometimes they patch out a bunch of bugs while reintroducing a flock of bugs they've already patched out.

Smedley is genuinely a bad influence in his games. You can be sure that if he says he's going to do something, even if it sounds good, they'll gently caress it up on his word. If something happens and you haven't heard it was going to happen, it's probably a good thing for the best. On the other hand, sometimes they will take a bunch of people saying things ironically and treat them seriously and actually buff one of the most powerful weapons in the game. Then a different one. Then they'll castrate a super-overpowered weapon and hugely overbuff one that's in a good place in the same patch. Seriously, roll a die on each balance tweak.

To date, they have treated me well enough. They've made some grave errors, but nothing unforgiveable and PS2 is wholly playable. As I read this thread, I'm very optimistic for H1Z1.

Sounds like battered spouse syndrome to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Robzilla posted:

Sounds like battered spouse syndrome to me.

Could be. Sunk cost fallacy, Stockholm syndrome, there's a buncha things it could be. :smith:

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Tonight, we found a pub base near camp, and then we went on a field trip to visit our new neighbors. They hid inside their terrible little shack and tried to log. They weren't fast enough. Somebody said they'd post a video at some point.

E: Regarding that letter thing I posted about, here's an example of what you can get out of the cache:

For reference, that is a poo poo-ton of shotgun shells.

LuciferMorningstar fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Jan 18, 2015

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Found this in the user options:

[AutoRefuse]
FriendInvitation=0
DuelInvitation=0
GuildInvitation=0
HideUi=1
TradeRequest=0
HousingInvitation=0
GroupInvitation=0

[VoiceChat]
EchoEnabled=1
EchoVolume=0.500000
ProximityEnabled=1
ProximityVolume=0.500000
FactionEnabled=1
FactionVolume=0.500000
GroupEnabled=1
GroupVolume=0.500000
GroupLeaderEnabled=1
GroupLeaderVolume=0.500000
RaidEnabled=1
RaidVolume=0.500000
GuildEnabled=1
GuildVolume=0.500000

Also info to disable shadows, fog and flora lmao

Akumos fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 18, 2015

Siljmonster
Dec 16, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Akumos posted:

Found this in the user options:

[AutoRefuse]
FriendInvitation=0
DuelInvitation=0
GuildInvitation=0
HideUi=1
TradeRequest=0
HousingInvitation=0
GroupInvitation=0

[VoiceChat]
EchoEnabled=1
EchoVolume=0.500000
ProximityEnabled=1
ProximityVolume=0.500000
FactionEnabled=1
FactionVolume=0.500000
GroupEnabled=1
GroupVolume=0.500000
GroupLeaderEnabled=1
GroupLeaderVolume=0.500000
RaidEnabled=1
RaidVolume=0.500000
GuildEnabled=1
GuildVolume=0.500000

Also info to disable shadows, fog and flora lmao

Its all holdover from SOE's games. They're aligning the codebase between EverquestNext and PlanetSide and now H1Z1. They have a really good engine actually, just lovely development.

Siljmonster fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Jan 18, 2015

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Siljmonster posted:

Its all holdover from SOE's games. They're aligning the codebase between EverquestNext and PlanetSide and now H1Z1. They have a really good engine actually, just lovely development.

Are clans going to be a thing?

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

warcrimes posted:

Are clans going to be a thing?

Being unable to easily identify allies sounds like one of the things the crazy people who play these games demands. Instead they want more hand gestures so allies can identify each other with a double chest-bump into a middle finger.

Also I want walkie talkies.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

LuciferMorningstar posted:

Tonight, we found a pub base near camp, and then we went on a field trip to visit our new neighbors. They hid inside their terrible little shack and tried to log. They weren't fast enough. Somebody said they'd post a video at some point.

E: Regarding that letter thing I posted about, here's an example of what you can get out of the cache:

For reference, that is a poo poo-ton of shotgun shells.

Holding on to one of those said letters stating the cache is under some piss-something water tower. Sounds like it will be time for a putting tomorrow.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Eonwe posted:

fuckin :agreed:

I think the main channel should be general loving around and no real comms discpline needed

When we are off raiding we should be using the designated channel and it should be the leaders of our outing talking and other people talking when they have a specific need or something related to say, we had a ton of people talking over each other

im not trying to boss anyone around I just know we'll have a lot more fun if we adopt Planetside 2 style comm discipline in those channels

A couple of comments/tips about comms discipline from DayZ:
  • Eonwe is totally right about multiple comms channels. Originally we had a couple of squad channels. When things got crazy (more than 16 people) we broke down separate channels for map regions and even individual cities.
  • Saying "Break!" in mumble means "everyone shut up, I have something I need to say. Repeating break ("Break break break!") means "this is really serious life or death, shut up right now". And you have to shut up when you hear someone say "break".
  • Since there were absolutely no identifiers of players in game, we utilized the "Goon wiggle" - if a player called "wiggle" or "Goon wiggle" into Skype, all the players would lean left/right. It was a really good way to identify friend or foe. Plus if you called a wiggle, they didn't wiggle, and took the shot, the blame was pretty squarely on them for not responding to the wiggle.
  • If you're going to be in a real-deal combat situation (like against another armed group), try and use alert-orient-describe-expound to efficiently call out what you see (contact enemies north five men with ARs)
  • Don't get too milsperg, and poo poo will invariably happen, you will probably get shot by a goon once and awhile*, and you might make mistakes too

How much information does Sony want for that station account? Is it just a username/e-mail/password or do they want all kinds of other information (name, address, etc.)? And will this game run OK on a fairly new GeForce 260GTX card?

* - I've been shot, run over, and poisoned a couple of times by Goons in DayZ.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jan 18, 2015

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Carecat posted:

From what I remember of PS2 the main issue was they didn't properly playtest base design and metagame. Bases were horrible as they were designed around chokepoints so at some point defenders would just get camped in their spawns, not so sure what the metagame issues were but they changed back to the same linked base design as PS1 to fix it.

I read that they've heavily nerfed the rate at which F2P players can unlock stuff to get people to pay more money.

Yea, the big issue in Planetside 2 were the bases were awful . It was impossible to defend them so you couldn't do much but attack and that was made really easy with the abysmal hex system they had going on, you could basically never have battle lines as the enemy could attack almost anywhere. The lattice system they put in fixed that and they overhauled all the terrible bases so you can defend them but it was way too late and the goon EU clan had died like a year before they did any of that.

They also didn't release the game with enough continents so they couldn't put any strategic elements in. Planetside 1 you'd basically only be fighting on like 1-2 continents at a time and it was a big thing which one your empire decided to attack but there was none of that in PS2. It's just like "why the gently caress am I playing this when I could be playing battlefield?"

Finally, it's hard to get back into it because upgrading poo poo does make a big difference in some areas like flying and add the pay2win weapons in and it's just even harder. You're never gonna compete with someone who's put like 1k hours into flying and if you want to stand a chance you have to throw money onto the lock on weapons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
break

lol

over

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Now you got it! :shobon:

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

This game is really bad

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I came across a shack in the middle of the woods. Pubbie saw my gun and instantly jumped inside to hide. While I was contemplating how much damage I could do to the door his two friends came up behind me but I heard them and spun around in time to kill one and send the other running off into the woods away from me. The one I killed had a cache note!

It's for a cabin somewhere near Ruby Lake so we can go on an adventure later.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke
oh boy, adventures! and yes, this game is bad, over

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

Oh yeah, don't get any strange ideas based on my posts: game is bad.

Is it less bad than other zombie survival games?
Maybe.

Compared to say, 7 Days to Die, since I was playing that a bunch recently it has worse zombies, more bugs, fewer features and smaller area to explore. However, it has no server admins to gently caress with you if you find their super awesome secret base, there is no rollback because you destroyed the admin's friend's base and people don't bail on the server because you killed them and raided their base once. After getting raided once on a 7 Days server people would start leaving and that was killing the game for me because your success would empty out the server.

IMO the longevity depends more on how well they deal with the inevitable hackers than how quickly they fix bugs and add features.

Space Skeleton fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 18, 2015

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

It's almost as if this genre of game is complete garbage

Werkwerk
Dec 23, 2003
Fat.
Always be friendly to the pubbies that come in and talk to them in voice comms. Then have one goon run up with a shotgun behind them. Works a lot better than chasing them everywhere.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

What server is everyone playing on?

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Lou Takki posted:

http://127.0.0.1

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

It's almost as if this genre of game is complete garbage

Yeah the genre isn't great, best title in the genre is probably State of Decay. However these online ones have tapped into some of the most satisfying kind of PvP.

Lou Takki posted:

Requiem

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Had a great run today. Started with a character that apparantly had been starving. After picking some hundred berries I got myself a better health and made a bow from my shirt and a stick I found. Found a player base without any players, so I went inside and took some food and used their campfire to boil water. Suddenly heard a car stop outside, the driver apparantly needed to use the campfire as well. Tried stealing the car but another player also showed up, hitting me with an axe and sinking me from 70% to 2% health, so I just high tailed out of there until I almost reached the end of the map, I think. Found lots of player owned bases, saw a guy standing completely still so I headshottet him with an arrow and stole his berries. Went over to his neighbour and took his car. Drove around the map killing pubbies and having fun until I went off road and flipped the car so that it exploded. Got out just in time and was near the dam area, so I went over there. Found a couple of players building a camp so I started sniping them with arrows, but turned out they were 3-4 so I withdrew to the other side of the mountain, where I found a small city filled with people who want to kill me.

All I need is scrap metal for building a hatchet goddammit.

ICMB
May 28, 2003
Iron Chef MonkeyButt
I was able to play for like 15 whole minutes this morning without a crash. There's hope. I even found a couple pieces of loot finally -- just water, but it's something.

I really wish they'd either jsut drastically adjust the rate of health/hydration loss or make blackberries be about 10x more efficient, at least until more of the other stuff is sorted out.

Also some pubbie tried to punch me so he got a branching. Too bad he just had a stick on him. I wish at least you could loot the clothes for scraps of cloth

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

I was just browsing some pictures around the webby web and this one reminded me of you guys.

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

Drinkfist posted:

I was just browsing some pictures around the webby web and this one reminded me of you guys.

This is a really funny post. Great picture, Drinkfist. Can I save and use it in another thread here on something awful?

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Getting this game now to join in on the fun. Look for a clueless newb named President Evil.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

snodig posted:

This is a really funny post. Great picture, Drinkfist. Can I save and use it in another thread here on something awful?

for you cutie. anything.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

This is two game threads in a row I've seen you just come in and say how bad they are. If DayZ is your bread and butter I can find the link for you.

And for content:
How exactly do you get metal from broken vehicles with a crowbar, tried beating them but nothing seems to happen.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Kizurue posted:

This is two game threads in a row I've seen you just come in and say how bad they are. If DayZ is your bread and butter I can find the link for you.

And for content:
How exactly do you get metal from broken vehicles with a crowbar, tried beating them but nothing seems to happen.

it's rng. sometimes you will hit a broke down thing and get 4 in a row. sometimes nothing for five hits.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

Blazing Zero posted:

it's rng. sometimes you will hit a broke down thing and get 4 in a row. sometimes nothing for five hits.

Now does it have to be a vehicle that can be fixed or do the stationary broken ones work?

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

Kizurue posted:

Now does it have to be a vehicle that can be fixed or do the stationary broken ones work?

any of the stationary broken cars/trucks will work. those fifth wheels with working doors do not.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Look, the game is bad, but then again all games are bad. That being said some people are going to have fun with this.

Also they nerfed crates too hard. Crate drops did a good job of creating excitement and fun for both the person who bought it and the players in the area. Now they suck rear end and nobody is going to waste money on them.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Its loving great watching bigger companies drop Zombie survival games only to lose to the Fun Pimps.

Seriously 7 Days to Die is peak Zombie survival minecraft. The only thing they were missing was vehicles and they are adding a buggy this month so that is totally checkmate.

I have been looking at this H1Z1 game you guys all paid to play and wonder why people can't just wait for something to release and buy into Early Access for a SOE game no less. I can totally understand a Early access to a small indie dev company because the bankroll they make always seems to find it's way back into the game or the next project. SOE has the bankroll already and proves time and time again they don't know how to manage games. Why the hell does John Smedley still have a job as president? They should have had he step down after the last 100 PR disasters and dumb poo poo he has pulled on their own games. Why the gently caress does SOE need to Early Access a game? This should have been some invite only closed/open beta game. Get this garbage off steam Early Access. gently caress John Smedley.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

7 Days is really fuckkin great except the dedicated server system means it's a minefield of power tripping admins and when you do find a good server all the players who can't build themselves a secure backup vault somewhere get run off the first time they get robbed which is really lovely for whoever is doing well because now they got a dead server.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

please don't convince me to buy another zombie game

snodig
Oct 5, 2014

ethanol posted:

please don't convince me to buy another zombie game

Ok I'll try and convince you of not buying it.

Let's break h1z1 down and see what we got:

- MMO.
- zombie "survival" which attracts the absolute worst of the worst in a community that's already full of really bad people.
- early-access alpha testing (that you pay for)
- f2p, which in the real world means p2w. Nothing is free. Don't be an idiot.
- SOE
- Smedley

So right off the bat and we learn it's the worst genre in gaming. It's going to stay early-access for about a year until SOE decides to ship "as is" and transfer 95% of the development team to smedley's next project, at which point a new zombie IP comes up and all the goons jump ship.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so who cant wait for Everquest Next and the $150 buy-in

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I can't wait for the 40 dollar H1Z1 package followed by the 100 dollar package that people in this thread will buy.

iamthehans
May 1, 2012

Third World Reggin posted:

I can't wait for the 40 dollar H1Z1 package followed by the 100 dollar package that people in this thread will buy.

I will buy the 100 package because i am not a filthy poor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I so want to jump into this but have gotten spoiled with my PS4/controller rather than m/kb. Does the game even have controller support? I'm guessing no since so many other things are broken or not implemented. I know I would be at a disadvantage to m/kb players but I really don't care.

• Locked thread