Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

As much as I hate Zell too, the other idiots aren't that much better right now.

"poo poo, he broke our secrecy."

"Wait, they broke the camera earlier."

"Dead men tell no tales."

*MURDER EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

FeyerbrandX posted:

As much as I hate Zell too, the other idiots aren't that much better right now.

"poo poo, he broke our secrecy."

"Wait, they broke the camera earlier."

"Dead men tell no tales."

*MURDER EVERYONE IN THE BUILDING*

They're a team of ragtag sociopaths, which is what makes them awesome.

Variant_Eris fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 18, 2015

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

CmdrKing posted:

We could probably wank our way into justifying this worldwide broadcast, but it'd require FFVIII Tvs to work differently from any real-world models. We'd basically have to assume that, despite being 17 years since it was physically possible to broadcast, TVs are designed to scan radio frequencies and automatically display any signal besides the static it picked up. Which is loving nuts to say the least. I mean maaaaybe TVs are government issue and not privately manufactured? We are making a fuckton of assumptions at this point.

I might have to disagree on this, if only slightly. There are two explanations I feel fit within our reality.

1) Everyone knew that there was going to be a big announcement and that it was going to be televised. Hell, isn't that how the whole kidnapping plan starts? Rinoa knows that the president is being transported by train to show up to this address. It's a little hard to imagine in our modern world of 'always on' technology, but imagine in some disaster scenario where all TV was stopped (and there was no internet). So, the bad version of the cold war. You turn on your TV and get nothing. No picture. No sound. No static. And then, you have someone in a nice suit going door to door in your neighborhood saying "Relax, everything is going to be explained. The president is going to be on TV at 6pm on Friday." You can be drat sure that everyone would be seated in front of their TV at 6pm with it turned on and ready to go. OK, maybe after 17 years, you don't have a TV anymore, but if that were the case, it would be more like old school early days radio and TV - If you didn't have one, you went to your neighbor or bar or whoever was nearby and listened/watched there.

2) Broadcasting the same program across all channels. This is easy enough to add to point number 1. If you are the government, and you have control over what the TV stations are broadcasting, it's probably not all that hard to broadcast the same thing on all channels. It doesn't matter if you are watching channel 2 or 50 or anything in-between. They all have the same show, and it's the president on live TV. Also, isn't this the idea behind the Emergency Broadcast System (Now EAS)? If something is happening on a large scale, there is a means in place across multiple forms of communication to broadcast emergency information? I remember having that happen pretty often as a kid, watching some show and having it be interrupted with the buzzing alarm and "This is a test of the emergency broadcast system. For the ext 60 seconds...This has been a test. If this had been an actual emergency instructions would have been given..." Nowadays, in the real world, stuff like this comes on our phones, but the technology certainly existed 20+ years ago to get a message across all channels at the same time.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

So wait, the radio noise that is stopping people from broadcasting is actually a legit broadcast coming from somewhere? And it's some kinda eerie message? And it's been going for 17 years and nobody has investigated it? What the hell?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The_Frag_Man posted:

So wait, the radio noise that is stopping people from broadcasting is actually a legit broadcast coming from somewhere? And it's some kinda eerie message? And it's been going for 17 years and nobody has investigated it? What the hell?

This is another thing to keep in mind for the next six months.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

CzarChasm posted:

I might have to disagree on this, if only slightly. There are two explanations I feel fit within our reality.

1) Everyone knew that there was going to be a big announcement and that it was going to be televised. :bravo2:

2) Broadcasting the same program across all channels. :bravo2:

I think the suspension of belief is caused because both your theories require people to have had their TVs on, playing just static and white noise, for 17 years. This is not likely.

Sure they could have used these HD cables to make sure everyone in Galbadia watched it, but other nations and 'the people in the wilderness' would never had seen the thing.

Weavered fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jan 18, 2015

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
There's another hole in the simpler explanations, but I'm not sure if the game has presented the information needed to work it out yet. Have they name dropped the other major power yet? I really don't remember.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Weavered posted:

I think the suspension of belief is caused because both your theories require people to have had their TVs on, playing just static and white noise, for 17 years. This is not likely.
No it doesn't. Re-read point #1. Galbadia already let everyone know through other means. It's clear that there ARE other forms of communication available. Galbadia used the other communication channels to say "Hey everybody, the most powerful ruthless military dictatorship government in the world will be making the first broadcast in two decades next Friday. This is clearly an announcement of supreme importance since as you may have heard, we started a major war just for the ability to do this. You know that old TV set you've been using as a doorstop? Wipe the dust off, turn it back on, you won't want to miss this!"

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
The message could be being simulcast- over the cables as well as over the air to TVs like the giant one in Timber. It's mostly a show of strength being able to broadcast it.

Say every major city has a giant screen like that for emergency broadcasts (erected before the noise issue)- FF8 has a pretty messed up world, and the noise problem can be overcome as we can see so you wouldn't tear them down- it's not beyond reason since they've talked about the cables getting cut semi-frequently. It could be showing in the middle of every city.

But mostly it's just about "hey we're doing a thing no-one else can do, we're pretty powerful eh? Also, we have a sorceress on our side." So, even then it's mostly directed to the people running other countries/cities - it would be easy enough to inform those people ahead of time and they would likely have the resources to score an old school TV if they weren't normally using one anyway.

The president really doesn't care that some forest hermit hasn't left his TV on for 17 years and didn't get the message.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Maybe nobody watched the broadcast. :shrug:

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

MagusofStars posted:

No it doesn't. Re-read point #1. Galbadia already let everyone know through other means. It's clear that there ARE other forms of communication available. And other :bravo2:

Strong Convections posted:

The message could be being simulcast- over the cables as well as over the air to TVs like the giant one in Timber. It's mostly a show of strength being able to broadcast it. Even more :bravo2:

A real world equivalent to what you're arguing is China discovering something amazing (say quantum computing) and then announcing this to the world via Betamax. Sure it'll go over the internet/normal media but they're still using Betamax. It's very silly. Like the rest of the plot from now on pretty much.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Maybe nobody watched the broadcast. :shrug:
If a president gives an address in the forest and nobody watches it, does it make an impact on global politics? The sound of one hand clapping.

Weavered posted:

A real world equivalent to what you're arguing is China discovering something amazing (say quantum computing) and then announcing this to the world via Betamax. Sure it'll go over the internet/normal media but they're still using Betamax. It's very silly. Like the rest of the plot from now on pretty much.
Sure, if the world hadn't really moved on from Betamax (uhh... which isn't really in any way comparable to a live stream but okay) technology and the world isn't whizzing ahead technologically at the pace it is in the real world. There's nothing to indicate people are even using different TV sets to what they had 17 years ago- it's more like they've got the exact same thing plugged into the internet instead of the aerial.

Um, I think it's more like China 'discovering' the atomic bomb and announcing it over the radio.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

Um, I think it's more like China 'discovering' the atomic bomb and announcing it over the radio.

Exactly and it's pretty silly.

Edit: shall we agree to disagree until the next silly plot point?

Weavered fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Jan 18, 2015

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I'm happy to disagree with you.

I'm sure the game has a better, more satisfying explanation for you later on.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bwahahaha.
Explanations, this game has. Satisfying, not very. Honestly, the best one to go with is that everyone in the world is a complete idiot.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I'm pretty sure people have been watching TV for the last 17 years. They've just only used cable signal, which is not as stable.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

I've played the game before. There is never a satisfyingly explanation later on, for this or pretty much anything else.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
The broadcast was announced off-screen and references to this are made on-screen. This is not where the plot turns dumb. Don't be so eager, it'll get dumb in time and it'll be all the better for the wait.

And boy howdy does it get fuckin dumb.

Strong Convections
May 8, 2008
I was trying to make a joke based on how notorious this game is for it's somewhat lacking explanations further in, guess it didn't come across. If you've played before then you might be happier thinking about it trying to reach a particular someone/where that is a bit reclusive and would stay tuned in to the noise for 17 years.

I'm happy with a few explanations for the broadcast, I don't think it's glaringly stupid. Maybe I'm just desensitised because of the stupid self-aggrandising things real politicians do everyday.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Cool Ghost posted:

[
Ah, yes, the propaganda tower. I wonder what they do there.

How has no one else pointed this out yet? Talking about the feasibility of broadcasting in a town that has a place called Propaganda Tower.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
First it's "We can break through all that static, because we're just badass like that." Then it's "Oh, BTW, we've got a sorceress on our side."

Sure, they could have made the announcement over more traditional means and they probably did, with the same impact. But why do just that when we can also transmit a signal so powerful, that it drowns out a planet-wide creepy signal that's been around for almost two decades.

Galbadia's just flexing nuts here, and other than the party getting crashed by a couple of washouts, they did a pretty good job of it.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CmdrKing posted:

There's another hole in the simpler explanations, but I'm not sure if the game has presented the information needed to work it out yet. Have they name dropped the other major power yet? I really don't remember.

I think the name has shown up, but nothing else.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Cool Ghost posted:

Squad C Student: Looks like Galbadia's real target is the communication tower.

Wait, the comm tower they repaired was their target? It seems like there might have been a better way to get there than invading Dollet.

Squad D Student: But radio signals are useless, even if they get the tower to work.

Yeah, they're probably just gonna put some stupid DJ on there. I'll stick to tapes.

Squad C Student: Why?
Squad D Student: It was on last week's exam, remember? How any form of communication using radio signals can't be used.

That's...a lot of types of communication. Wow.

They'll give you peter cancer.

(This is the real answer.)

: The worldwide signal interference.

Yeah, thanks.

Squad D Student: Worldwide signal interference. It started without warning 17 years ago. That's why we communicate online, and use chocobos as messengers now. That's why there's no reason to get the tower up and running.

So what the gently caress were they doing? :iiam:

The real issue is they repaired an already existing tower, that had fallen into disuse because it didn't work anymore with all the signal interference. I don't remember the game ever explaining why it suddenly works now, but maybe I've just forgotten. Guess we'll wait an see.

Technical Analysis
Nov 21, 2007

I got 99 problems but the British ain't one.
That tower clearly got an upgrade. It was transmitting a radio signal so powerful you could literally see it.

They aren't cutting through the crazy signal, they're just yelling louder than it.

nonrev
Jul 15, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

I actually imagine it being like an old silent movie where Quistis starts out chasing Seifer, then suddenly they realize the train is coming, so they agree to a temporary truce and both crank the handcar to keep ahead of the train for something like 8 goddamned hours.

With this playing in the background on continuous loop.

FFVIII already has the perfect silent movie music for this theoretical amazing minigame.

edit: polsyed the link to avoid youtube comments

nonrev fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jan 19, 2015

Silegna
Aug 20, 2013

Hey, heads up. I'm about to unleash my rage.

nonrev posted:

FFVIII already has the perfect silent movie music for this theoretical amazing minigame.

Might want to polsyfy that link to avoid Comment spoilers.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

nonrev posted:

Oh my god, I'd forgotten about that one. :allears:

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Cool Ghost posted:

Part Sixteen: Really, This is the One I Should Have Called "Taking the Train"

A bit late, but clearly the best name for this update woulda been "President Evil." Just sayin'. :downsrim:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.

anilEhilated posted:

Bwahahaha.
Explanations, this game has. Satisfying, not very. Honestly, the best one to go with is that everyone in the world is a complete idiot.

Yeah, I can think of some very terrible movies and games that had better explanations than what this game offers.

I will admit though that at least the game is fun enough (in a "what the hell is wrong with this thing" kind of way) that I would prefer playing this game rather than watch or play those movies/games

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Mega64 posted:

How has no one else pointed this out yet? Talking about the feasibility of broadcasting in a town that has a place called Propaganda Tower.

How has nobody pointed out how they had trouble finding a TV station that not only literally dwarfs every other structure in the city, but also has a shitload of searchlights going in every direction.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Foxhound posted:

How has nobody pointed out how they had trouble finding a TV station that not only literally dwarfs every other structure in the city, but also has a shitload of searchlights going in every direction.

They had to ask around because they could only see the pre-rendered backgrounds.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Foxhound posted:

They were clearly playing entirely off the lovely minimap that the one guy made. Looking around is for chumps. :colbert:

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Foxhound posted:

Or how we couldn't get in to the TV station originally because there were "too many guards," only to have Seifer single-handedly get right to the president with no trouble, and we were able to follow him 5 seconds later without encountering any resistance. I guess we're to assume that Seifer just killed EVERYONE.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
We're trying to be at least a little quiet, and we also want to be in one piece when we leave. Seifer's only interested in getting to Deling, and probably doesn't have much of an exit strategy. He might not have killed everyone, but he sure as hell got their attention, so Squall can just sneak in in the aftermath.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Seifer didn't think he needed an exit strategy. Aside from that woman, Galbadia has nothing that can stand up to a SeeD (Candidate), let alone 3-5 of them.

Cool Ghost
Apr 13, 2012

MORE YOU SWEAT、
LESS YOU BLEED。
MORE YOU WEEP、
LESS GAME OVERS。
...OVER
Part Twenty: Regrouping

So, recap: Seifer attacked the President, then left with a strange woman.

Now, here's our friend/contract-holder Rinoa. Hey, Rinoa.

"Fuckin' beats me. Dude walked into a wall."

: We don't know.

Rinoa's not a huge fan of that answer.

: ...He'll be ok, right?

The odds are bad.

Well, there's nothing more we can do here. Let's go home.

You can't go back to the TV station, by the way. This camera angle isn't great for things like "making out details", but I think this guard is one of the Galbadians who doesn't care much about his job.

As you can see, the TV is back to its old tricks.

Well, gently caress.

: And everyone else?
: They're fine. They're good at escaping.

That's good, then. :shobon:

This little segment involves a lot of just following Quistis and Rinoa along the already-linear path. It spaces things out a little oddly, to be honest.

: Is there a safe place you can take me? This is an order, an order from your client, remember?

Things are pretty bad for the SeeD team right now.

We're still obligated to protect Rinoa, though.

At least we have these incredibly useful Scan spells to get us through this trying time.

Yeah, I heard it got blown up.

Mother: Come over to my place until things settle down.
: I appreciate it. Thank you...
: What are you waiting for, Squall? Come on!

I'm just waiting for the text boxes to clear. Give me a drat break.

And now it's back to the house next door to Timber Maniacs.

: Thanks, chief.
: Chief?
: She's the leader of the 'Forest Fox'. Almost everyone's a resistance member in this town. But right now, we're the only ones that are really active.

That's probably not gonna last long, what with your blown-up base.

We get a fade to white here, probably while everyone debriefs everyone else on the failures of their various missions. Character-wise, what the Timber sequence establishes is that we're all loving terrible at our jobs. Everyone did well in the controlled conditions of the field exam, but once we got out on our own, pretty much all we did was gently caress up and almost get each other killed.

: What did Seifer come here for?
: I think...he came to help us, the 'Forest Owls'.

She's probably right; Seifer is the type of guy who would run all over the place to try to be a hero and save the girl.

: I talked about it a lot with him. So please...don't think too badly of him.

Instead, he just got himself wrecked and the girl feels guilty about the whole thing.

Ah poo poo, it's the heat.

The old lady's got it in hand, though.

: Will she be ok?
Daughter: She'll be fine. The legend goes...that my mother took down many soldiers with her strength, cooking, and beauty.

Jesus, Selphie, you're in her house.

As soon as we're upstairs, Selphie takes the opportunity to relax.

Also of note, Zell has been spending time crouching in the corner, because he feels terrible about putting Garden in Galbadia's crosshairs.

I think everyone is tired after a hard day of completely making GBS threads the bed on their mission.

Of course, Zell doesn't have anything to say.

: 'What!? They might end up fightin' the whole Galbadian force! And all they dispatch are 3 rookie SeeD members!? Dammit! I'm going to Timber!'

Huh. Seifer always seemed so level-headed.

: I never would have guessed he was serious about it.
: (That guy's always serious. You should know that by now...)

It's one of those oblique character things, but part of why Quistis is bad at her job is because she can't really understand people well.

Rinoa still feels like it's her fault if anything happens to Seifer, even though he probably didn't come for her specifically.

Jesus Christ, have you ever heard of tact?

: (...Feel sorry? Seifer would hate to hear that.)
: What's so funny!? You're terrible!

Screenshots, but Squall sort of laughs when Rinoa says she feels bad for Seifer.

: So...why do you think Seifer may already be dead?
: (Because...) The president of Galbadia and the sorceress joined forces. Seifer attacked the president. It's no surprise that Seifer may have been killed because of it.

Like the chat with Quistis in the secret area, this is one of those situations where Squall's not wrong, but he's being an emotionally ignorant rear end about it.

In contrast to Quistis, though, Rinoa isn't going to take it lying down.

Rinoa is much more emotionally honest than either Quistis or Squall; she's actually able to communicate with another human being because of it.

Squall's not a fan.

: As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain.

Note here that Rinoa turns away from Squall because she's sick of talking to him. People tend not to like this bit because of Rinoa's using "meany," but it's not just because she's a child, but because - as I said - she's more honest than other characters, and it wouldn't fit for her to use formal or flowery language to express the idea. She's mad at Squall and she's speaking ineloquently out of anger.

She's mad at you, you dunce.

: ...Sorry.

Thanks for breakin' that up.

Mother: If you're gonna leave town, now's your chance! You know how persistent those soldiers can be!

Everybody else leaves, but Rinoa takes one last look at Squall before she goes.

Downstairs, we get another chance to chat.

Zell's still not sayin' anything.

Neither is Rinoa.

Selphie's reaction is understandable, but likely not tactically sound.

I don't think we really have one. Honestly, it's a big weakness.

Understandable.

: (We have to get out of here first...)
: Getting out of here is only the first step.

For her flaws, Quistis at least has some experience, and she's probably the best planner in the room.

Squall is bad at plans.

: What do you mean?
: Garden code. Article 8, line 7.

Ah, yes, the Garden code. I know it well.

: (8:7...... In the event that returning to the assigned Garden is not possible, report to the nearest Garden.........)

Uh, seems bad. I guess we don't have anything better to go with, though.

Conveniently, the trains have started up again.

: I've been there several times. We should be ok.
: ...Ok then... We'll escape from Timber and head to Galbadia Garden. The party will be...

And so, we get the chance to make another party!

Cool Ghost fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Mar 31, 2015

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
What is Zell doing to that chimney?

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
If we're voting, then Squall, Selphie, and Rinoa.

If we're riding a train then Selphie has to be in the mix. And Rinoa probably knows the area.

Quistis is out because she's a nerd and is all "follow the Garden code!" and gently caress that noise you're not my teacher any more. Zell is out because Zell.

Also the "As long as you don't get your hopes up, you can take anything... You feel less pain." line is just so 90s :emo:. It's terrible and also awesome.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Bring Selphie and Quistis!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
For all that it really matters, let's go Squall, Selphie, and Rinoa, if we can. I forget what the obligated party members are sometimes.

• Locked thread