Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
What should be used to judge potential?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

it'll knock off a star the second they reach their mid twenties

I thought that players could not progress AT ALL past 24?

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

Mandalay posted:

I thought that had to do with physical properties of a player, mentally they can still grow.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Anyone seen this mod before? It looks pretty ridiculous and incredible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/2sl32i/fm_2015_usa_world_class_14_by_graaa/

fake edit: I know. Reddit.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

joshtothemaxx posted:

Anyone seen this mod before? It looks pretty ridiculous and incredible.

http://www.reddit.com/r/footballmanagergames/comments/2sl32i/fm_2015_usa_world_class_14_by_graaa/

fake edit: I know. Reddit.

What looks ridiculous is the terrible optional club and comp logos. I've seen better Photoshop skills in FYAD.

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009
I wanted to play a poo poo national team to see if I could make them any good, so I decided to play Guatemala. I get to the 2015 gold cup and get to the semi final (and lose to Mexico 8-4). Though what really grinds my gears is the fact that Canada won against Mexico in the final. The winning goal was even someone without a club to make it even more Canadian

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandalay posted:

Have you really never seen a stat go up on a player in their late twenties? Players still develop in their 30s (just not physically).

Rate of progress slows down as players get older but you can still get a player to fulfill his potential late in his career, provided he's playing regularly, using good facilities and not picking up a lot of injuries.

If they never reach the peak star rating that was predicted for them as teens, it was probably not possible in the player to begin with, and either the coaches and scouts were wrong in their estimate, or the metric they use to decide how good a player is was stupid. Usually both.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Jan 16, 2015

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

Have you really never seen a stat go up on a player in their late twenties? Players still develop in their 30s (just not physically).

Rate of progress slows down as players get older but you can still get a player to fulfill his potential late in his career, provided he's playing regularly, using good facilities and not picking up a lot of injuries.

If they never reach the peak star rating that was predicted for them as teens, it was probably not possible in the player to begin with, and either the coaches and scouts were wrong in their estimate, or the metric they use to decide how good a player is was stupid. Usually both.

Fair enough, but the Potential Rating will definitely equal the Current Rating after 24.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
There's an Argentinian AMC called Angel Correa who I signed on a free in 2019 from Atletico. If you're early in game see if you can pick him up as he's absolutely amazing.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandalay posted:

Fair enough, but the Potential Rating will definitely equal the Current Rating after 24.

This makes no sense for so many reasons.

rizzen
Apr 25, 2011

sassassin posted:

This makes no sense for so many reasons.

It's also decidedly false. I believe the star ratings on your squad screen are still based upon your AssMan's judging current/potential, and are in comparison to the league you're in. From my experience, the 10-20 rating point things that a player at 27/28 might be missing is a lot more noticeable when you're in the lower leagues. I know I've seen that much before classified as a whole star after I've looked under the hood with the editor. Once you're higher up the pyramid though, the players get better, reach their potential 9/10 times at an earlier age due to better training facilities, regular playing time, etc.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Stars are a rough, short hand approximation given to make things look easier for people who are too lazy to click on each of their player's attributes pages. A player losing a star from their potential when they reach 24/25 means only that the coach/scout has decided that they are less likely to reach their former max, or have invested too much of their potential into attributes they don't consider important for their main roles (like Decisions). It is an assumption on behalf of the AI, nothing more.

Potential ability rating is a fixed number that never changes. A player has this number until he retires. There are tens of thousands of players in the database over 24 with a potential rating higher than their current ability.

Current ability rating is a constantly changing number produced by adding up the player's attributes and weighting them based on the positions they play. Whenever a player gains or loses an attribute, or gains or loses even a couple of points of familiarity in a position, this number is recalculated and adjusted up or down.

Current ability can never exceed Potential, and the difference between the two is the amount a player can develop. This is true for players of all ages.

It's just easier for younger players to gain stats, and easier for older ones to lose them. Attributes like Professionalism and Ambition also play a big part in this.

Shroud
May 11, 2009
Stars are relative to the strength of your squad. If you buy players better than the current ones, you'll see their stars go down, because they're not the top dogs anymore.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

XBenedict posted:

What looks ridiculous is the terrible optional club and comp logos. I've seen better Photoshop skills in FYAD.

Still not the worst part. The worst part is this person went to all this trouble to create league that don't exist in real life and then added fake sponsorship to them.

Ffs he made his own league that he could call whatever he wanted. He could call it the "North American Super League" or the "USA Premier League" or the "Dickbutt League for Idiots". What does he choose?

quote:

Level 1 – Verizon MLS Premier League – MLS - 20 teams with E/W conferences.
Level 2 – Xbox MLS National League – MLN - 20 teams with E/W conferences.
Level 3 – Citigroup MLS League 1 – L1 – East/West - 44 teams, split into East and West divisions (22 teams each).
Level 4 – FedEx MLS League 2 – L2 – East/West - 44 teams, split into East and West divisions (22 teams each).
Level 5 – Subway Minor league Soccer AAA – 3A – Northeast/Southeast/Central/West - 84 teams split into 4 divisions (20-22 teams each)
Level 6 – Subway Minor League Soccer AA – 2A – Northeast/Southeast/Central/West - 88 teams split into 4 divisions (20-24 teams each)
Level 7 – Subway Minor League Soccer A1 – A1 – Northeast/Midwest/Southeast/Atlantic/ Heartland/Southwest/Pacific/Northwest - 128 teams split into 8 divisions (12-20 teams each)

Fuuuuuuuck that.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Seems pretty realistic to me.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Playing Arsenal at the moment, who come with a very comfortable transfer budget and room to improve. I sold Joel Campbell for a good amount (think it was 15m) then brought in Lars Bender, Inigo Martinez and Ricardo Rodriguez, strengthening up the defensive line.

Early days yet but it'll be interesting to see what happens.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

vyelkin posted:

Still not the worst part. The worst part is this person went to all this trouble to create league that don't exist in real life and then added fake sponsorship to them.

Ffs he made his own league that he could call whatever he wanted. He could call it the "North American Super League" or the "USA Premier League" or the "Dickbutt League for Idiots". What does he choose?

Fuuuuuuuck that.

Yeah that was pretty loving obnoxious. I am probably going to download it and change all the dumbass names he went with.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
How do you set up a testimonial for someone and how long have they had to have played for your club?

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
Is there an easy way to see how many staff you are allowed to hire? I've gone from Conference to L1 and I think I'm due more than my backroom team of 5!

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

The boardroom screen will tell you just keep asking for more sadly this usually only increase the allowance by 1 each time.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

The Croc posted:

The boardroom screen will tell you just keep asking for more sadly this usually only increase the allowance by 1 each time.

Ive had it increase by 4 before, which caught me entirely by surprise

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Coohoolin posted:

How do you set up a testimonial for someone and how long have they had to have played for your club?

10 years, and it's an option you can add when setting up a friendly when you have one available.

I never bother, because Alan Tate can go gently caress himself.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Why is this happening?

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

joe football posted:

Why is this happening?

Holy poo poo. Um, injuries? Age? Civil war? Could it be your tactics?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

joe football posted:

Why is this happening?

Severe mental breakdown, also known as the Michael Johnson Effect?

Generally, for a decline as precipitous as that you should have gotten some kind of news item at the time, whether it's a horrific injury or whatever. I remember in some old thread someone was shocked to see a 2-point decline in all attributes on a player due to "serious off-field personal issues" or something like that.

joe football
Dec 22, 2012
Neither of these guys had any really bad injuries. I think it had to be something with messing around with the real time editor, though I never touched those guys. Kind of sucks, one of them was actually my captain

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.
You sure you didn't change anything about their positional ability or something like that? I've only seen drops like that when the game has been forced to recalculate for some reason - dire injuries / off field events or retraining to a completely new position (like when asshat striker refused to be sold even though I'd never play him and I'd been dumb enough to give him a 5 year contract so I started giving him hard training as a LB).

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
You either changed their CA, PA or trained them to be goalkeepers.

Either way you deserve it for being a cheat.

9-Volt Assault
Jan 27, 2007

Beter twee tetten in de hand dan tien op de vlucht.

joe football posted:

Neither of these guys had any really bad injuries. I think it had to be something with messing around with the real time editor, though I never touched those guys. Kind of sucks, one of them was actually my captain

You probably upgraded their skills but not their PA/CA.

Erin Esurance Waifu
Sep 28, 2006
So I'm playing a save as Barca trying to figure out the best way to run a good youth program when I run into this 16 year old sitting around at Tottenham that looks like he has quite a bit of potential. This is what he looks like a year later...

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.

Erin Esurance Waifu posted:

So I'm playing a save as Barca trying to figure out the best way to run a good youth program when I run into this 16 year old sitting around at Tottenham that looks like he has quite a bit of potential. This is what he looks like a year later...

Jesus Christ. That kid is awesome and I've gone blind from looking at that skin

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Capped his CA at 17? Get rid of him. The lad can't even jump!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
lol at that aggression, bravery and natural fitness.

He'd never survive a wet Tuesday night at the liberty (when I'm managing).

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sassassin posted:

Stars are a rough, short hand approximation given to make things look easier for people who are too lazy to click on each of their player's attributes pages. A player losing a star from their potential when they reach 24/25 means only that the coach/scout has decided that they are less likely to reach their former max, or have invested too much of their potential into attributes they don't consider important for their main roles (like Decisions). It is an assumption on behalf of the AI, nothing more.

Potential ability rating is a fixed number that never changes. A player has this number until he retires. There are tens of thousands of players in the database over 24 with a potential rating higher than their current ability.

Current ability rating is a constantly changing number produced by adding up the player's attributes and weighting them based on the positions they play. Whenever a player gains or loses an attribute, or gains or loses even a couple of points of familiarity in a position, this number is recalculated and adjusted up or down.

Current ability can never exceed Potential, and the difference between the two is the amount a player can develop. This is true for players of all ages.

I understand all of this and misspoke. What I should have said is that in my experience, after age 24, Potential Rating Stars always equals Current Rating Stars.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Mandalay posted:

I understand all of this and misspoke. What I should have said is that in my experience, after age 24, Potential Rating Stars always equals Current Rating Stars.

Oh yeah? Well here's 5 paragraphs of nonsense that says you're wrong.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
I've read this entire thread now on a cold Thursday morning in bed and as a fm14 holdout player I'm now gonna ask if I should for sure be in it for 15.

Read some things regarding lotsa bugs and 3d kits not working so I'm slightly perturbed like Messi on a warm tax day in barcelona and wondering if I should catch this now at full price or down the road for a sale.

Sidenote, still love 14 so not in a rush.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

8bitlawd posted:

I've read this entire thread now on a cold Thursday morning in bed and as a fm14 holdout player I'm now gonna ask if I should for sure be in it for 15.

Read some things regarding lotsa bugs and 3d kits not working so I'm slightly perturbed like Messi on a warm tax day in barcelona and wondering if I should catch this now at full price or down the road for a sale.

Might as well wait for the post-transfer window update at this point.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

8bitlawd posted:

They addressed the 3d kits thing, and the changes to the skin schema. But yeah, just wait another few weeks until the transfer update.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
Looks like I'm holding out then. This just gives me an excuse finish my Valencia save I guess.

Edit: sidenote but how on earth do you guys manage to stay with a team for 5+ years like it would seem sometimes... I typically play 2 seasons with a squad before deciding "hmm I'd like to go X now" and start a new save.

OoohU fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Jan 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

8bitlawd posted:

I typically play 2 seasons with a squad before deciding "hmm I'd like to go X now" and start a new save.

A mate of mine lost his job and got a bunch of inheritance money and then spent 400+ hours playing a save in FM2014 until he was into like his 15th season. I can only marvel at that when I rarely last a full year before getting punted out for being crap.

• Locked thread