Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But nothing says lifetime northerner like a sheet of cardboard zip tied to the grill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

tater_salad posted:

Trucks up north have blankets for their radiators that can be left closed orntied open.. so this is basically that.

I have wondered what those were for for the last 15 years. Thank you.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

insta posted:

The TDIs gulp a full 2 liters of air every revolution since they have no throttle plate. They will definitely drop temp if you idle them when it's sufficiently cold outside. The real failure is people who ignored me when I said "let the glow plug light turn off, its the squiggly one on the tach" and went "OK CRONK SMASH KEY TO ON :downs:"

People don't wait any time before slamming the key to start on gas engines either. Yeesh people let the fuel pump bring everything to pressure first. Engine designers probably love push button start because they can wait the 0.25 seconds it takes for everything to get ready to start instantly.

Cakefool posted:

Brain fart time - wouldn't it be 1l per revolution as only 2 of 4 cylinders will intake per rev, the others will be squeezing? Unless you've a 4l or 2 stroke tdi? :haw:

Both of those would be goddamn amazing.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
On my 06 F150 I pretty much start it and drive after a minute (however long it takes to find music). It's never too far below 40 degrees here; maybe low to mid 30s. I don't have heat and my commute is about 7 minutes of backroads, low speed driving. I don't see a point to idling for 20 mins to warm up for such a short commute.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Do...Do you at least take it out to warm up every week or so?:ohdear:

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Oh yeah, in the evenings I typically drive it a lot more, and definitely a ton more on the weekends.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Ja if you're taking short trips only that barely bring the engine up to operating temp before being shut down again, you should take it out & run it for awhile to avoid accumulating condensate water in your pan.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Look at you people. Here in the civilized world, we have a "garage".

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

totalnewbie posted:

hahaha thats where the engineless projects go so that when its -20 out you don't freeze your dick off fighting that one goddamn part.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

totalnewbie posted:

:smith:

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

People don't wait any time before slamming the key to start on gas engines either. Yeesh people let the fuel pump bring everything to pressure first. Engine designers probably love push button start because they can wait the 0.25 seconds it takes for everything to get ready to start instantly.

So I'm not crazy for always waiting for the fuel pump to stop whirring before I crank it? Well, poo poo. I always did this in the Volvo to see if the fuel pump fuse poo poo the bed again and just kept doing it.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I feel bad for my Suzuki. It gets started up in the morning (usually no colder than mid 40s but gets into the 30s sometimes) and within 2 minutes is winding through three gears to merge and then steady at about 6,500rpm flying down the freeway.
On the way home it gets to idle through traffic ~15mph for 15-20 miles if it's really bad. In the summer the temps can get up to around 95 but the air cooled tractor motor just keeps on going though it will spark knock if it gets really hot. It's been doing this for 6 years and seems no worse for wear. I do run synthetic oil which I'm guessing helps.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

totalnewbie posted:

Looks, it's the south. We just got indoor plumbing like last week.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
I used to have an (air cooled) motorcycle that when idling with the choke on would not within, well, minutes, get warm enough to take the choke off, but if I drove it to the end of the street it'd be ready to go. That convinced me to just drive off. I'm really conservative about how long I wait before I give something the beans though, I have a bike with an oil temp gauge and it takes ~20 minutes for the oil temp to settle; I've also been told by a mechanic that it takes about so long for the oil to really get up to temp.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Man, you guys got some lovely cars or something. I live in the northeast where it gets down to -10 a bunch of times every winter. Never had a car that refused to clutch or refused to go into first or any of that poo poo. Just start up and go.

torpedan
Jul 17, 2003
Lets make Uncle Ben proud
You act as if there is something wrong with the $3000 shitbox I drive. I mean, I did finally fixed the thermostat so the engine attest has a chance to get wam when it's 0F out. Now that the engine gets warm, I can use second gear.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Man, you guys got some lovely cars or something. I live in the northeast where it gets down to -10 a bunch of times every winter. Never had a car that refused to clutch or refused to go into first or any of that poo poo. Just start up and go.

Look at this guy who just jinxed himself into a transmission rebuild in the next few weeks.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

totalnewbie posted:

The “garage”? Hey fellas, the “garage”! Well, ooh la di da, Mr. French Man.

sirr0bin
Aug 16, 2004
damn you! let the rabbits wear glasses!
It's called a car hold.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

sirr0bin posted:

It's called a car hold.

Car hole

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008
In California it's called "giant storage closet", or in a lot of cases "extra bedroom/den/etc".

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

"Iron Oxide Production Facility"

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.
A lot of you guys lack perspective. The garage is only there to keep the weather off the vehicle. If the garage is unheated, it's still -20F inside. I'm not getting in until it blows warm air. That can take 20 minutes at times in more than 50% of the States. Just lurking in this thread, you would think basically no one here lives north of Dallas.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Shifty Pony posted:

Both of those would be goddamn amazing.

One of the guys in our group built a 2 stroke 2 cylinder diesel out of a VW TDI motor. I'd link the video, but its in Facebook.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
My town would qualify as one of the 20 coldest towns if it was in the US, so it's a bit colder than Dallas. Start car, let it idle while I scrape the windows (30-60 seconds), then go. Idling for 20 minutes, that's just insane (and stupid as hell).

theacox
Jun 8, 2010

You can't be serious.

Nidhg00670000 posted:

My town would qualify as one of the 20 coldest towns if it was in the US, so it's a bit colder than Dallas. Start car, let it idle while I scrape the windows (30-60 seconds), then go. Idling for 20 minutes, that's just insane (and stupid as hell).

I live in a place where, when it's really cold, you can go inside a store in a "big city" of 50000+ people and just leave your car running and that's relatively normal, because gently caress everything else.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Joe Mama posted:

In California it's called "giant storage closet", or in a lot of cases "extra bedroom/den/etc".

I'm one of the few people in my circle of friends who actually uses the garage to put a vehicle in. Granted they're bikes and surrounded by a bunch of other poo poo. Everyone else has all the poo poo you'd see at a yard sale stacked from floor to ceiling.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

theacox posted:

A lot of you guys lack perspective. The garage is only there to keep the weather off the vehicle. If the garage is unheated, it's still -20F inside. I'm not getting in until it blows warm air. That can take 20 minutes at times in more than 50% of the States. Just lurking in this thread, you would think basically no one here lives north of Dallas.
What a lot of them are saying is if you don't get in the car until it's warm, that means you will never get in the car because idling won't warm it up, you have to actually drive it.

ArcMage
Sep 14, 2007

What is this thread?

Ramrod XTreme
We had a couple of -30F days here last year, and my new-beetle actually threw engine overheat alarms for a few minutes after startup, which was, ah, alarming.

Those temps aren't really routine, here, so I don't really know what I was supposed to have done, or indeed if my coolant was rated for it, although it didn't seem to have injured the thing any. I certainly panicked a bit, though.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a guy in Cycle Asylum, can't remember who, that was posting about his Aprilia motorcycle, which won't start at exactly 0 degrees Celsius. Above or below freezing it's fine, but apparently there's a bug with the ambient-temperature thermometer that prevents the electronics from starting up correctly when it reads zero. His solution was to reach under the fairing and cup the ECU in his hand for ten or fifteen seconds, warming it just enough to start.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Shifty Pony posted:

the TDI would drop temperature like that too. it was so bad about it that the hvac has electric heat strips in it to aid the normal heater core and the temperature gauge was "fake" and would stay pegged at 190F while the OBD II coolant temp would swing from 165-210. I guess that sort of thing is why more vehicles are taking the temp gauge completely out.

I've compared OBD2 data to the gauge. "a little below half" is anywhere from 160-180 (180 thermostat). "Half" is 185-210. Once it's above half, it's at least 215. Highest I've seen has been a touch below 230, which still had the gauge just a gnat's hair above the half mark. That was after extended driving on some steep hills (both up and down, staying in 2nd would let it get up to about 50 MPH going downhill if I didn't stab the brakes occasionally).

The check engine light has also been getting a real workout lately - it comes on/goes off a few times a day, always the same code for a sticking thermostat. Today's the first time it hasn't thrown a code in over a month, and that's only because it was drat near 70 outside today.

CommieGIR posted:

Cover half the radiator with cardboard. Worked for me in Cheyenne.

That's what I've been doing since November. I did have a new thermostat and coolant in my possession, but the money I'd spent on that was meant for my phone bill.. phone got shut off the next morning, so they went back. Hopefully next paycheck. It runs cool on the coldest days, and uncomfortably warm (215+) on hot days.

When I smogged it in December, I reset the ECU, beat the poo poo out of it on the highway while watching Torque until it was down to 1 readiness monitor showing not ready, and hauled rear end to the inspection place. It had a pending code for the thermostat, but the engine was a toasty 195F when I got there, and the CEL wasn't on yet. It popped the CEL back on the next day. :argh:

Shifty Pony posted:

I've found the starter on mine is ECU controlled. If I so much as bump the key into the "start" position with my foot on the clutch, it cranks until it either starts, I take my foot off the clutch, or shut off the ignition. It was quite the :wtc: the first time it did that, but now I use that to my advantage - I turn on the key for a second, then just barely bump it into start, and use the time it spends cranking to put on my seat belt. 9 times out of 10 it's idling happily by then; the 1 time out of 10 it takes a few seconds of cranking before it fires (and idles low for a few seconds). :iiam:

ArcMage posted:

We had a couple of -30F days here last year, and my new-beetle actually threw engine overheat alarms for a few minutes after startup, which was, ah, alarming.

Those temps aren't really routine, here, so I don't really know what I was supposed to have done, or indeed if my coolant was rated for it, although it didn't seem to have injured the thing any. I certainly panicked a bit, though.

It's possible the coolant isn't rated for the temps and had turned to slush, which caused some hot spots to form before it melted and started flowing. Or, you know, VW electronics.

BIG HORNY COW
Apr 11, 2003
One of the state maintenance trucks when I worked in Fairbanks kept havi g issues overheating and DOT couldn't figure out why. It was fine on super cold days but anything above zero or towing / hauling equipment would make all the temps skyrocket. They ended up replacing all sorts of poo poo including the transmission before they finally found thr culprit.

Ib the winter there, people cover their grills and radiators with vinyl bras or simply tape cardboard over them. The truck was owned by another state agency and whoever it was had slipped a piece of cardboard between the radiator and oil cooler that was wedged in so tight nobody could see it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Midjack posted:

I have wondered what those were for for the last 15 years. Thank you.

Don't know what they are called over in the US but over here they are called radiator muffs.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Sagebrush posted:

His solution was to reach under the fairing and cup the ECU in his hand for ten or fifteen seconds, warming it just enough to start.

Reaching under and cupping is just good form. It's shows appreciation.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
My car starts right up with no issues on the coldest days here in Miami. Not sure what the big deal is.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:
My piece of poo poo old subaru (2000 outback (the 89 subaru is pissy and doesn't work well when cold...(or usually at all))) with almost 200k starts up perfectly fine when it's -20F out. Let it warm up for a few minutes then it drives perfectly fine... The transmission shifts great. If you have a sluggish shifting one you should either change the gearoil or light it on fire.

Years ago I put a 2-stroke engine on a mountain bike. After about the first 5 minutes I got bored, shaved the head, ported it, put a better carb on it. And then the headgasket was like LOL NOPE.

chrisgt fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 18, 2015

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Sagebrush posted:

There's a guy in Cycle Asylum, can't remember who, that was posting about his Aprilia motorcycle, which won't start at exactly 0 degrees Celsius. Above or below freezing it's fine, but apparently there's a bug with the ambient-temperature thermometer that prevents the electronics from starting up correctly when it reads zero. His solution was to reach under the fairing and cup the ECU in his hand for ten or fifteen seconds, warming it just enough to start.

Aprilia also makes a water cooled scooter which has no thermostat. Which means the bike cannot operate below a certain temperature. I warmed one up indoors once, took it outside for a test ride in 25 degrees F, it just conked out after a minute or two.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Suzuki's RG150 two stroke is like that too. On a cold morning you could ride down the street and get it nice and warmed up, then when you hit the motorway after a few minutes you'd be losing power again.

PhotoKirk
Jul 2, 2007

insert witty text here

Joe Mama posted:

It's where all of my wood working tools, reloading bench, and other stuff I don't have time to use are stored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chrisgt posted:

Years ago I put a 2-stroke engine on a mountain bike. After about the first 5 minutes I got bored, shaved the head, ported it, put a better carb on it. And then the headgasket was like LOL NOPE.

I don't see any gaps where gas could escape. You stick that thing back on and keep riding until it's actually a horrible mechanical failure :colbert: