Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Baram posted:

I'm still on the previous beta (30207?) and keep having an issue where returning to bookmarks or forum view from a thread causes this:

thread bookmarks turn white background and scrolling gets a little laggy / floaty. it's crashed a couple times so you may have some sort of logs.

How did you return to bookmarks? Swipe from the right edge?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

pokeyman posted:

How did you return to bookmarks? Swipe from the right edge?

hitting the arrow in the corner.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
Do you mind if I request a slight change? Namely the delay after which tapping on an image launches that viewer mode.

Right now, it seems to be on a hair trigger. I'll scroll down a page using the inertial scroll then tap to stop and very often, annoyingly often, it'll launch the viewer if I happen to be anywhere near an image. Which is then a bit hard to close as the hit box for the "done" button seems to be smaller than my sausage fingers. It'll also crash the iPad app when it's the first time in a few hours that I've used the app.

So adding ac second or two to the delay would be most welcome. I don't think you can do anything about the fact that it also happens when my finger's hovering over the page. That's probably just the touch element being super sensitive.

Thank you! I do love the app.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

My one quibble with the app is when you tap on a bookmark and it seems to move the screen for a tiny moment before the bookmark loads. It just feels kind of jitttery.

Maybe it's reloading the page or something?

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

I opened the app and refreshed it and it did this.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

CaptainCrunch posted:

Do you mind if I request a slight change? Namely the delay after which tapping on an image launches that viewer mode.

Right now, it seems to be on a hair trigger. I'll scroll down a page using the inertial scroll then tap to stop and very often, annoyingly often, it'll launch the viewer if I happen to be anywhere near an image. Which is then a bit hard to close as the hit box for the "done" button seems to be smaller than my sausage fingers. It'll also crash the iPad app when it's the first time in a few hours that I've used the app.

So adding ac second or two to the delay would be most welcome. I don't think you can do anything about the fact that it also happens when my finger's hovering over the page. That's probably just the touch element being super sensitive.

The "done" button must've been set using a babies finger because in my iPhone 6 it takes like 10 attempts to exit any video/image I click in the app

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Can I somehow turn off Handoff for Awful?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Baram posted:

hitting the arrow in the corner.

Alright cool, thanks. I'll take a look.

CaptainCrunch posted:

I'll take a look at this. I think my solution will be a bit different than yours, but achieve what you want: if you're tapping to stop an inertial scroll, then the long-press won't be allowed to trigger. If that makes sense, does that sound right?

smackfu posted:

My one quibble with the app is when you tap on a bookmark and it seems to move the screen for a tiny moment before the bookmark loads. It just feels kind of jitttery.

Maybe it's reloading the page or something?

I know what you mean, though I haven't quite caught exactly what's going on. I'll keep an eye out though and try to catch it.

Haggis Heed posted:

The "done" button must've been set using a babies finger because in my iPhone 6 it takes like 10 attempts to exit any video/image I click in the app

I'll embiggen the tappable area :)

Smol posted:

Can I somehow turn off Handoff for Awful?

Not at the moment. May I ask why you'd like to do so?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.

pokeyman posted:

Not at the moment. May I ask why you'd like to do so?

I browse the forums almost exclusively on my iPhone and iPad, so it's just a chore to close the safari tab every time I go back to my computer.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

pokeyman posted:

I'll take a look at this. I think my solution will be a bit different than yours, but achieve what you want: if you're tapping to stop an inertial scroll, then the long-press won't be allowed to trigger. If that makes sense, does that sound right?

Sounds just peachy. Thank you!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Scrolling down this page seems to regularly cause a crash or brief hang then crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&perpage=40&pagenumber=280

iPhone 6, iOS 8.1.2, latest Awful

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

the yeti posted:

Scrolling down this page seems to regularly cause a crash or brief hang then crash: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3177805&perpage=40&pagenumber=280

beta 30208 iPhone 5s didn't crash, but ~2/3s down it did hang briefly two spots before pictures.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Smol posted:

I browse the forums almost exclusively on my iPhone and iPad, so it's just a chore to close the safari tab every time I go back to my computer.

Oh ok. I can't easily use Handoff (my laptop has the hardware but it's disabled in software for some reason? and my iPad has not the hardware) so I'm flying blind on that feature. I can add a setting for sure.

the yeti posted:

I'll take a look. Though based on your description of triggering the crash, I wouldn't hold your breath for a fix :)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
This is weird. Latest beta, iPhone 5s - when looking at the forums themselves, the app flatly will not even try to bring up page 2 of the Games forum. Every other one I have tried works just fine, though.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

If you refresh page one first, it will work.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep, and I'll fix it for real sometime soon.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Tigers will do anything for a tuna sandwich.

Two issues on the latest beta:

1. Thread unread counts in bookmarks are acting wonky. It'll be one number, then simply scrolling it out of view and back in updates it to the correct number. Most common after refreshing the list.

2. Crashed the app repeatedly by trying to upload a photo directly from the camera. Uploading from the gallery seems fine, but using the camera breaks everything.

As before, iPhone 6, latest iOS.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can't copy the urls of uploaded photos. sometimes whenever I leave the dark mode app and return, I get a white keyboard. It disappears upon reloading, like posting, or canceling the post.

That's all I can think of. Really want those urls.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Vegastar posted:

Two issues on the latest beta:

1. Thread unread counts in bookmarks are acting wonky. It'll be one number, then simply scrolling it out of view and back in updates it to the correct number. Most common after refreshing the list.

2. Crashed the app repeatedly by trying to upload a photo directly from the camera. Uploading from the gallery seems fine, but using the camera breaks everything.

As before, iPhone 6, latest iOS.

1 I knew about already but 2 is a new one to me. I'll check it out.

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

Can't copy the urls of uploaded photos. sometimes whenever I leave the dark mode app and return, I get a white keyboard. It disappears upon reloading, like posting, or canceling the post.

That's all I can think of. Really want those urls.

These are two different bug reports, right? I'm struggling to think of a scenario where they're related.

When are you trying to copy the URLs of uploaded photos? From the posts screen? From the screen when you're writing a new post?

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Any idea why awful app on my iPhone 5s is storing 2.5Gbs of data? It's just listed as "documents and settings." I'm sure I'm just a dumb dumb if some kind, so sorry if this is really obvious!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yep, it doesn't delete anything ever. Try logging out then back in.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

pokeyman posted:

Yep, it doesn't delete anything ever. Try logging out then back in.

Is a delete cache button still in the works?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Kaethela posted:

Is a delete cache button still in the works?

The current beta regularly prunes the cache, and I think that'll fill the need of an "Empty Cache" button. But I'm open to being wrong about that.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
That worked, thanks!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

For some reason all images stopped showing up on the app. Logging out to clear the cache did not work. What should I do?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

For some reason all images stopped showing up on the app. Logging out to clear the cache did not work. What should I do?

Try google DNS at 8.8.4.4 and if you're on a network other than your home make sure it's not content filtering images.somethingawful.com

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I'm not sure I understand how to do that on my phone. How do I switch to google DNS?

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

Ignite Memories posted:

I'm not sure I understand how to do that on my phone. How do I switch to google DNS?

Ah poo poo, yeah. Sorry, brain not work good. You can't really do that on an iPhone. I'm having a bit of an off night.

Does it continue to do the same on both cellular and wifi? Have you tried deleting and reinstalling the app?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

For the record, I can't think of anything in the app itself that would suddenly wreck every image.

Vegastar
Jan 2, 2005

pokeyman posted:

For the record, I can't think of anything in the app itself that would suddenly wreck every image.

I couldn't really either, but it seemed like an easy enough thing to try that it couldn't hurt. I'd be much more inclined to think a DNS or cell issue. If it's happening on both though, that's gonna be weird.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Totally, and the help is appreciated!

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I used to have issues with imgur pics not loading or looking distorted. I tried switching to Google DNS and while it alleviated some of the issues some pics still didn't load. So then I switched to OpenDNS and it seems to have fixed the issue mostly. Occasionally imgur will act up and what not but that's not a DNS problem. Long story short could try either of those DNS options. I switched the DNS server setting on my router so don't have to worry about doing it on each device.

Mastodon Henley
Aug 12, 2003

So... how's your girl?
Newest beta will not install update. Unusable in that state. Deleted. Will not install new.

Nice!

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

The new new one seems fine.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

gently caress codesigning.

I swear I changed nothing, but nope here have this wrong entitlement that fucks the install, just what I wanted!

Go pointlessly modify some xibs or something and leave the .ipa alone.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

pokeyman posted:

gently caress codesigning.

Read this as "co-designing" and thought you were throwing shade at The Dave.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Yeah gently caress you The Dave.

e: I actually do feel goofy typing it "codesigning" but the program's called codesign so I just roll with that.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

All of the fucks!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

The image previewer seems pretty crashy in this beta. Hitting the Done or share buttons seems to consistently crash the app.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Is there a reason why my bookmark unread counts appear in different colours? I checked in OS X Safari and they're not marked differently there. They're always either blue or orange in the app and it seems to vary randomly.

The other thing is that the additional buttons added to the keyboard don't do anything. These are the things like [=:/] etc. This is using my iPad Air 2.

• Locked thread