Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 24 days!
Is there any news of the Rogue PC release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Elise really is a good character too, yeah.

Ending spoilers, seriously don't read if you're invested at all in the plot: her death scene was like a wet poo poo. As soon as I saw Arno under the rubble, I just knew that she was gonna bite it. Just let the main characters win out once, for Chrissakes.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
Is it sad that i am kind curious, maybe excited for ac victory. Ubisoft for all their massive gently caress ups and rear end hattery tend to actually fix broken and or dumb ideas in sequels. Plus i dig the Victorian age. Honestly doing virtual tourism and killing shitheads/semi cool people in history is one of the main reasons i keep coming back each round. plus secret societies poo poo kinda seems to fit in Victorian london

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 17, 2015

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

please fire all your creative directors ubisoft, they are all bad

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Applied to LGSA as remnantkinn to see what all the fuss is about while i do this free DLC.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Well, I thought I was enjoying Dead Kings, until I get to the end of memory 2 and get hit by the 'Find Leon' glitch. I restart the memory, only to discover mid-combat that for some inexplicable reason, the game had equipped me with my shittiest weapons upon restarting the memory instead of my default loadout, so instead of grinding it out with some mooks I had to restart again (since you can't switch weapons unless you're anonymous). I've been pretty patient with this game's bugs, but when the apology DLC is bringing these kind of frustrations, one really has to step back and say 'the gently caress, Ubisoft?'

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Daily Forecast posted:

Wow, you sure do seem angry about something. I'm sorry for enjoying videogames in your presence, fun police!

Seriously, get over yourself

Mostly high settings, a few turned down to medium, I forget exactly which. Resolution is 1920x1080. Getting between 45-60 depending on what's going on- if I'm at the top of a view point and looking over Paris then it's on the lower end, street level and indoors tend to be smoother. I'm running an i5 2500k, Radeon R9 270X, 8 GB of ram. Fanciade runs better, probably because it's smaller.

I enjoy the game too. A Hell of a lot more than I should given the random technical issues I and everyone else seems to have. In some ways it's the best AC yet (and in some ways not). It's quite the technical achievement, but that shouldn't give them a free pass on some of the shittier stuff. You're the one suggesting you're one of only two people in this thread with a decent rig -- so maybe you should get over yourself?

Our specs are about the same except I'm running an Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming. Every 10-30 minutes the game freezes up completely for a few seconds and everything jumps around a bit.

I think it runs better on AMD hardware in general, which could be it?

I literally cannot get angry regarding video games though because that would be dumb, so sorry if I actually came across that way in writing?

Capn Beeb posted:

Is there any news of the Rogue PC release?

Amazon.com lists it as March 31st. Have to admit, looking forward to a Black Flag sequel!

http://www.amazon.com/Assassins-Creed-Rogue-PC/dp/B00OAPODFY

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is there a way to cancel out of Dead Kings and return to Paris? Ubisoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make it a fast travel point on the map placed at the same spot as the tavern. I clicked on it by accident and now appear to be committed to it way earlier on than I would want to be.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

J-Spot posted:

Is there a way to cancel out of Dead Kings and return to Paris? Ubisoft, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make it a fast travel point on the map placed at the same spot as the tavern. I clicked on it by accident and now appear to be committed to it way earlier on than I would want to be.

There should be a fast travel to Paris buggy somewhere in the Windmill district, iirc.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

PoshAlligator posted:

so sorry if I actually came across that way in writing?

You didn't, i just think he's the special sort.

I'm also on a GTX970 and get the freezing.

Just hit that missing Leon bug too. Abandoning the DLC here, what an abortion of a loving game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

ayn rand hand job posted:

There should be a fast travel to Paris buggy somewhere in the Windmill district, iirc.
Found it. Unfortunately gaining access to it required doing the first mission in the DLC, which turned out to be rather long and difficult.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I used to care about optional objectives, even 100%'d them in the main game, but now I see "Don't get into conflict" and I'm like "hahaha, gently caress your poo poo"

I must have restarted the first mission about 15 times because I kept getting into conflict due to complete bullshit reasons before I decided I just didn't care.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think the only AC where I cared about optional objectives was Brotherhood and that was because they were both fun to do (for the most part, some kinda sucked) and unlocked the ability to ride a unicorn.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

I feel bad when I play co-op because being a team of super ninjas sounds super cool but in practice it gets tedious when enemy AI is either dumb as hell or literally spawn behind you and instakill you, so you just run around getting into boring brawls.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Okay yeah, this DLC is pretty awful and I have no interest in playing it any longer. I only did the first mission, but that was such a slog that I absolutely do not give a gently caress about the rest of this crap. I thought the main game was pretty good for the most part, but the last sequence was horrible and frustrating and the DLC seems to continue along those lines.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Daily Forecast posted:

I used to care about optional objectives, even 100%'d them in the main game, but now I see "Don't get into conflict" and I'm like "hahaha, gently caress your poo poo"
I went for 100% in Black Flag and thought it was a pretty fun way to play, but the clunky cover system and other annoying changes in Unity make it too much of a chore to worry about anything other than clearing the mission.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

boy it sure would be nice if I could whistle and use human shields again :smith:

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

macnbc posted:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Ubisoft had an early design sketch with Elise as the main character and Arno in a supporting role, but some suits walked in and said "But our sales projections say we can't do a female lead! CHANGE IT! CHANGE IT!"

(I think that argument's a load of poo poo, but there've been way more stupid arguments voiced by developers of this game already.)

Funny you should mention this. The novelisation of Unity is written from Elise's point of view. Its in the format of a diary, and I would guess that its there to fill in any plot points that got cut from the game. If anyone here has read it they could put them up as spoilers for the rest of us, if anyone wants to know that is.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
I don't mind not being able to whistle, but I really wish we could still use human shields. That was the best in Black Flag.

BondSworeSuccinctly posted:

Funny you should mention this. The novelisation of Unity is written from Elise's point of view. Its in the format of a diary, and I would guess that its there to fill in any plot points that got cut from the game. If anyone here has read it they could put them up as spoilers for the rest of us, if anyone wants to know that is.

It's also way better written than the other novelizations. I wonder if they got a new ghostwriter. Anyway, I'm too lazy to bullet point the book plot points, but it covers a significant amount of pre-game time for Elise.

If anyone's got specific questions I can probably answer. But it's worth a few bucks to read yourself if you're into that stuff.

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

effervescible posted:

I don't mind not being able to whistle, but I really wish we could still use human shields. That was the best in Black Flag.

It's also way better written than the other novelizations. I wonder if they got a new ghostwriter. Anyway, I'm too lazy to bullet point the book plot points, but it covers a significant amount of pre-game time for Elise.

If anyone's got specific questions I can probably answer. But it's worth a few bucks to read yourself if you're into that stuff.

According to wikipedia its the same author from the previous novels, also the novels cover is considerably better then the games own cover:

http://imgur.com/1tuSrK2 Picture is HUGE.

I dont understand why they didnt use this for the actual game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

According to wikipedia its the same author from the previous novels, also the novels cover is considerably better then the games own cover:

Unfortunately Ubisoft used up all its "drawing women" budget for the book cover.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Oliver Bowden is just a pen name though, so it would be incredibly easy to switch authors.

BondSworeSuccinctly
Oct 27, 2007

effervescible posted:

Oliver Bowden is just a pen name though, so it would be incredibly easy to switch authors.

Yeah thats true, but the wiki article for Oliver Bowden claims its an author called Anton Gill who wrote all the Creed novels so far.
Gill must be a bigger fan of the series than Ubisoft themselves if he did write them all.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul
Yeah, that's what I've heard, but the Unity novel really is a lot better than the others. It's not great literature or anything, but for what it is it's decent, and I actually enjoyed myself reading it. Most of the other ones are a cringefest most of the way. It doesn't really matter, I'm just curious if they got someone else to write it or he suddenly, inexplicably improved.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Ubisoft probably has binders full of women.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Narcissus1916 posted:

Ubisoft probably has binders full of women.

What's funny is that the lore is full of interesting women but they never make it to the public eye.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

J-Spot posted:

I had that problem too, they really should have made you confirm to start.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

I never read any of the books, but there's a small blurb in AC4 about how Edward meets his wife and I remember it being pretty good. Think it was supposed to be from the official novelization.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
I've been trying for a few weeks to get into Unity, and it's just not happening. The game is bland, the stealth mechanics terrible, and the combat is just not remotely enjoyable. It's a real shame, I loved Black Flag, and even have a soft spot for III. Unity's main success is probably in me thinking almost fondly of III's mechanics.

I miss whistling.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Fireworks do what whistling used to except when a guy stands with his back to you, in which case just go ovrr thrre and kill him.

And excpet hou can't use them in haystacks I guess.

What I miss is reliable double assassinations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Kuiperdolin posted:

Fireworks do what whistling used to except when a guy stands with his back to you, in which case just go ovrr thrre and kill him.

And excpet hou can't use them in haystacks I guess.

What I miss is reliable double assassinations.

I've tried fireworks as sneaky corner lures and more than half of the time the lighting and throwing of the firework puts the guards on red alert, charging for my position. I honestly don't know if this is a bug or a feature.

I also miss double assassinations.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world
derp

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Kuiperdolin posted:

Fireworks were implemented well in Freedom Cry but are a terrible substitute for the whistle here. They're good if you're above guards and want to lure them into air assassination range but for simply getting a guard to look around a corner or near a hiding spot I find them annoying to use. The fact that they've replaced an infinite resource with a limited one also sucks.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I also miss double assassinations.
They're still in but you have to spend skill points to get them. They really made some pretty poor design choices in this game and it's particularly glaring coming off of Black Flag.

J-Spot fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 18, 2015

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I really don't like how you only get skill points for doing missions.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

muscles like this? posted:

I really don't like how you only get skill points for doing missions.

There are hidden skill points in the coop missions that can be acquired without completion.

They're pretty easy to get on a solo play.

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

J-Spot posted:

They're still in but you have to spend skill points to get them. They really made some pretty poor design choices in this game and it's particularly glaring coming off of Black Flag.

I bought the skill but can't consistently execute a double when running up on 2 dudes. :shrug:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I bought the skill but can't consistently execute a double when running up on 2 dudes. :shrug:
Well now you're just asking for too much. There's pretty much nothing in this game that can done consistently.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

J-Spot posted:

Well now you're just asking for too much. There's pretty much nothing in this game that can done consistently.

Crashing

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
Applied to [LGSA] as PoshAlligator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

The worst part of this game is the menu screen the does nothing except exist as game bait.

• Locked thread