Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

poptart_fairy posted:

Richard Cobbet just wrote a neat little article which pretty much mirrors my relationship with the series. I'm especially fond of this paragraph:

I hated - hated - GTA 5 for this reason. It felt so spiteful and petty about everything, even as it made you do them, whereas Saints Row will at least smirk along with the player, and at most make a fun joke out of it all.

I found most of Saints' Row's humor to be unnecessarily offensive.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Well I find your username to be Problematic

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
Playing SR1 is so strange now.

Like I'm not the boss? I have to do all this gangbanger poo poo? I need to constantly buy ammo? Do a billion missions to get respect? Where is my super run, where are my cool homies, what's going on.

I actually really like the Vice Kings/THE LOS CARNALES as a threat, but man, it's so rough fighting them as some random dude, not the Boss.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Did anyone ever post this gameplay stream that was on Gamespot a few days ago?
http://www.gamespot.com/videos/saints-row-gat-out-of-hell-now-playing/2300-6422933/

Looks loving excellent, I don't really give too much of a poo poo about character customization... but the clothes and stuff will be missed a tad.
The powers and weapons seem to make up for it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Deakul posted:

No.
But, it's extremely linear and set in a small cavernous map.

My impression from the promotional stuff so far is that it's not linear at all. Rather than a series of missions it seems more like there are a bunch of activities and targets scattered around and those are tied to story progression, so you can do them in whatever order.

Steam posted:

An Open World from Hell – Wage war against the Prince of Darkness through-out the 5 unique districts of hell any way you want: rescue allies, pick a fight with nightmarish Arch-Dukes, rob Satan’s soul processing plants… dozens of options await you in an all new city unlike any that’s been seen in Saints Row before.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I think he was being sarcastic, dude. :v:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Yeah, I was joshing, it's pretty clear from the gameplay I posted that it's still the same old open world shenanigans.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Well, I hope Gamestop doesn't gently caress something up and charge me the retail price on release day without consulting me. Went ahead and took a chance on the five dollar sale price, so we'll see what happens.

edit: Although at this point, you'd think Deep Silver would have stepped in and "fixed" it if it were a mistake.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Well, I hope Gamestop doesn't gently caress something up and charge me the retail price on release day without consulting me.

They're more likely to just cancel any orders made while the error was active.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

Mokinokaro posted:

They're more likely to just cancel any orders made while the error was active.

Generally things that are errors get fixed within a couple hours of their discovery.

We're 15 minutes away from Sunday EST, this was discovered early Friday and it's *Still* five bucks.

If it's actually a mistake that is one hell of a mistake.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

Zaa Boogie posted:

Generally things that are errors get fixed within a couple hours of their discovery.

We're 15 minutes away from Sunday EST, this was discovered early Friday and it's *Still* five bucks.

If it's actually a mistake that is one hell of a mistake.

It's a mistake. We're attempting to get Gamestop to correct it.

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"

IdolNinja posted:

SHHHHHHHHHHHH--

okay I know you gotta do these things. :v:

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Are they in strong contact with you guys? Seems weird they don't fix it right away. Maybe they see it as not really losing money since there's no physical item moving around? It'd just be you guys losing the money, right? Or would Gamestop have to foot the bill and give you guys full sale price? I don't know how these things work.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

HPanda posted:

Are they in strong contact with you guys? Seems weird they don't fix it right away. Maybe they see it as not really losing money since there's no physical item moving around? It'd just be you guys losing the money, right? Or would Gamestop have to foot the bill and give you guys full sale price? I don't know how these things work.

Pretty sure Gamestop would be the ones losing money in that scenario. I don't see how it would make a difference it being digital rather than physical, they're still buying the licences and selling them on to their customers.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Yeah, if that's how it works then true. I was more going under the assumption that it was them just serving as a sort of "take a percentage of each sale" retailer since there's no physical stock to keep around. Game licenses being treated as physical stock does kinda make more sense, though, for reality.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

It'd also devalue the game generally because thousands of $5 keys would be in the hands of resellers, G2A and so on.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Oh I bought a couple of those $5 keys for my friends, should I cancel the orders then? :ohdear:

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Man why does my new job gotta have its payday on Monday what a hosed up day :(

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I'm actually interested in the Saints Row IV: Re-Elected release - Wondering what chances (I know, minimal, right) we'll see an upgrade/DLC option to get the PC version up to scratch, graphically.

(Actually, now I think about it - Is the PC version already that fidelity? :psyduck:)

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Shockeh posted:

I'm actually interested in the Saints Row IV: Re-Elected release - Wondering what chances (I know, minimal, right) we'll see an upgrade/DLC option to get the PC version up to scratch, graphically.

(Actually, now I think about it - Is the PC version already that fidelity? :psyduck:)

There's a 'Game of the Century Upgrade Pack' option that's basically every DLC for SRIV ever and it's $2.50 this weekend.

Unless the re-release has some sort of updated graphics (which I kind of doubt since the PC version of games tend to have the best there usually?) then I'd just go for that.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Shockeh posted:

AFAIK it's this. The only real difference between the 360/PS3 versions and the XBone/PS4 versions are resolution and performance. Everything I've read just sounds like they're re-porting the PC version to PS4/XBone.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Digital Foundry did an article on Re-Elected: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2015-vs-saints-row-4-on-ps4

The PS4 release is basically the old PC version. Some graphical things have been slightly enhanced, others have been toned down and it still doesn't run at a steady 60 fps.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Has anything been said about the music licensed for this round? I fully expect at least one version of Carmina Burana in the classic radio, and probably a return of the metal radio with in-theme songs.

IdolNinja
Mar 7, 2011

It's our time now!
Let's get this shit started!

ZearothK posted:

Has anything been said about the music licensed for this round? I fully expect at least one version of Carmina Burana in the classic radio, and probably a return of the metal radio with in-theme songs.

It's an original score for Gat out of Hell. There are no radio stations or licensed music.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
The season pass on Steam was like $1.50 so I bought it and wow this game is hard to go back to. I didn't like it as much as 3, and 2 was the best Saints Row. Enter the Dominatrix isn't really that fun!

I still bought Gat out of Hell because of the Gamestop price error.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

IdolNinja posted:

Aw man, I thought you guys were cool. :colbert:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

IdolNinja posted:

It's an original score for Gat out of Hell. There are no radio stations or licensed music.
Gat out of Hell doesn't have Meatloaf in it?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Its up for preload right now on Steam.

*Edit* Whoops, guess I'm late on that.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jan 18, 2015

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Whoa, guys, this game is so loving good

Why have I been playing GTA? The performance on those games even with a good PC is always so poo poo

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ElGroucho posted:

Whoa, guys, this game is so loving good

Why have I been playing GTA? The performance on those games even with a good PC is always so poo poo

Same as everyone else. Brand recognition and hype.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

mysterious loyall Y posted:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo! :arghfist::smith:

Oh well I understand why that is probably the case

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
I went back a few pages, and the last I saw posted about it was back in December. Is the Inauguration Station/character uploading and downloading pretty well officially dead? I can't log in to the IS, or access My Steelport to link my account. I'm hoping it's not perma-dead, I really enjoyed that aspect of things.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

mysterious loyall Y posted:

This is bullshit, wtf.

Someone get an easy to use music mod going asap.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm enjoying Saints Row 4 way more than I was expecting. All the criticisms of it being bloated and uneven are true, and the game was obviously intended to be a DLC expansion for SR3 but the superpowers are surprisingly functional.

But honestly, I think the best aspect of SR4 is that the tone of the game is more consistent and intelligent compared to previous entries (although the only other Saint's Row game I've played was the third).

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Angry Guacamole posted:

I went back a few pages, and the last I saw posted about it was back in December. Is the Inauguration Station/character uploading and downloading pretty well officially dead? I can't log in to the IS, or access My Steelport to link my account. I'm hoping it's not perma-dead, I really enjoyed that aspect of things.

Oh, I thought I'd just forgotten my password.

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away

Tiggum posted:

Oh, I thought I'd just forgotten my password.

I changed mine a good three, four times, immediately typing it in in-game exactly as I'd changed it. Looks like it's hosed. Pity, I liked punching out a stereotypical southern white bread senator while naked save for combat boots.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DoubleCakes posted:

But honestly, I think the best aspect of SR4 is that the tone of the game is more consistent and intelligent compared to previous entries (although the only other Saint's Row game I've played was the third).

Yeah the writing feels a lot more like Saints Row 2 (which you should go play, seriously) while everything else is just kinda grating or boring after a while. The dubstep gun was funny for a bit, the superpowers were fun but the novelty eventually wore off. The best part of the game for me was discovering that there was a hidden Men In Black gun in one of the shops, inside some weird basement room. That's the kind of stuff (hidden areas and interiors with lots of detail) that Saints Row 2 had that I missed in the Third.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

IdolNinja posted:

If there ever was a prime time for a solid talk radio station to come back... :(

Cyberball 2072
Feb 17, 2014

by Lowtax

IdolNinja posted:

Oh.

Just yesterday I was thinking about how I still listen to stuff from the SR IV stations on a near daily basis and getting hyped for what comes out of the new game.

Oh well, smaller release, smaller scope and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot

Capn Beeb posted:

If there ever was a prime time for a solid talk radio station to come back... :(

Does it count as talk radio if it's just tortured screams of the damned?

• Locked thread