Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Bouchacha posted:

After installing 200+ mods and supposedly setting it up completely, I'm at the troubleshooting phase. I'm getting constant crashes and freezes while walking around outside. Is the best practice to do the following:
1. Disable suspect mods through MO
2. Run Loot to re-order things
3. Rebuild Bashed Patch
4. Rebuild TES5Edit Merged Patch (w/o leveled list)
5. Re-run any SkyProc patches (or better yet, just disable them for the time being)
6. Run the game and see if it works

Am I on the right track?

Someone will probably give you some real insight since they actually know what they are talking about. But as a generic place to start, I have solved a lot of crashes in the past by removing any mods that add new buildings to things. Some of them work, but quite a lot of them don't. Another good shot is anything that adds a lot of scripting like immersive patrols. Also, since I've been doing the whole installing a billion mods and having to troubeshoot them thing myself, I can say that open cities and real shelter were both things that I ran across people saying not to install. If you want a place to start with the disabling mods until things work, that's a good bet. Honestly though, you probably are just running a bunch of incompatible poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RangerPL
Jul 23, 2014
This might have been answered before, but do you need both a bashed patch and a merged patch? My merged patches all include levelled lists and I haven't had any problems arise as a result of using just a TES5Edit merged patch. But I see people talking about using both all the time.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

All they ever did for me was get in each other's way. The merged patch was all I needed.

Tzarnal
Dec 26, 2011

RangerPL posted:

This might have been answered before, but do you need both a bashed patch and a merged patch? My merged patches all include levelled lists and I haven't had any problems arise as a result of using just a TES5Edit merged patch. But I see people talking about using both all the time.

A bashed patch is slightly smarter aobut how it merges leveled lists because the prefered course of action is marked with tags.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Kraven Moorhed posted:

So this saved my rear end. Turns out you can right-click a save game and just hit "fix mods" to enable all the ESPs it uses. Pretty nifty.

Glad to hear it. That's some purloined letter poo poo right there - I never though to try right-clicking a save game. Would've helped me out of a few CTDs the last time I took a ride on the mod carousel.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

GunnerJ posted:

I was trying to decide whether to use Dawn of Skyrim or JK's Skyrim, or try to use both with their compatibility patches, and this is giving me pause. I'm not sure if JK's is less video card intensive but that may dictate how I go.

I run all of the Dawn of ______ stuff on a laptop video card with only 1GB of ram and don't get any worse FPS than usual, I don't know what he's talking about.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

What is Mod Organizer's 'overwrite' file and why does Dual Sheath Redux fill it with files and why do I need to turn it into a mod? This happens every time I run the Dual Sheath Redux SkyProc Patcher or whatever.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

deadlyrhetoric posted:

What is Mod Organizer's 'overwrite' file and why does Dual Sheath Redux fill it with files and why do I need to turn it into a mod? This happens every time I run the Dual Sheath Redux SkyProc Patcher or whatever.

If a program you run through MO creates file output, it will get dumped in overwrite (which is actually a folder) because MO doesn't know what else to do with it. In this case, the SkyProc Patcher creates a plugin (.esp) file. If you weren't using MO this would be dumped in skyrim/data (I think??) and loaded normally. Within MO, you need to either make a new mod for MO to handle it, or sync it to an existing mod, otherwise MO will not be able to "see" the produced plugin. (Actually, I think it will just load whatever is in overwrite last?)

I find overwrite very frustrating because its UI never seems to work quite right. Sometimes I sync to a mod and it doesn't realize that overwrite is empty now, sometimes it deletes the overwrite folder, sometimes I can't sync to any mod I'd like. If possible, it'd be best to sync to the DSR mod. Otherwise, make a new mod from it once and see if you can sync to it each time afterwards (although sometimes it does this automatically with bashed patches, dunno why, w/e overwrite is dumb and annoying but necessary).

eta: Alternately, you can manually move the plugin from the overwrite folder to DSR's folder but this is also annoying and tedious and MO may not recognize it without restarting it.

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jan 18, 2015

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

GunnerJ posted:

(Actually, I think it will just load whatever is in overwrite last?)

Correct. If you're only using a single profile, you can basically let the Overwrite folder be. SkyProc Patchers will dump their output in there, overwriting their previous output, and you'll be good to go.

The only time you *really* have to do anything with it is:

1) If you stop using a SkyProc patcher, you should delete its last output
2) As hinted, if you switch to a different profile, you should move all the SkyProc outputs into a new mod folderand re-run all the patchers on the new profile.

TESVEdit backups are also dumped in Overwrite, but those don't get loaded so they shouldn't mess anything up. There isn't much reason to even create backups anyway since you should have the original installation archives anyway and can grab the un-edited .esps from there if needed. The exception are the official Bethesda .esms, where having backup copies can save you from a long download - but you should only need TESVEdit them to clean them, which is a well-detailed and safe procedure and one of the very first things you should do upon starting your modding adventure.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

I was trying to decide whether to use Dawn of Skyrim or JK's Skyrim, or try to use both with their compatibility patches, and this is giving me pause. I'm not sure if JK's is less video card intensive but that may dictate how I go.

Use Dawn for the five main cities (it only covers the cities with gates) and JK for everything else.

E: I'm going to disobey the OP and allow ASIS enemies to use SPERG perks. Wish me luck! :shepface:

Is there a universal mod that dumps custom armor that is normally only craftable into leveled lists? I have several types of light armor that only my character has ever had access to because the authors didn't put them in leveled lists.

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Jan 18, 2015

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

E: I'm going to disobey the OP and allow ASIS enemies to use SPERG perks. Wish me luck! :shepface:

Bad idea. Not only does it make enemies super-OP, it also can lead to stability isues since SPERG perks were created with only the player in mind. Seriously, just up the spawns in ASIS.

quote:

Is there a universal mod that dumps custom armor that is normally only craftable into leveled lists? I have several types of light armor that only my character has ever had access to because the authors didn't put them in leveled lists.

Lootification. And guess who's created an enhanced set of Lootification Files?

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

You want Weapon and Armor Fixes Remade, by the same dude who did CCOr.
Ok, that was confusing. I didn't know there was both WAF and WAFR, thanks.

GunnerJ posted:

You said you were following STEP, but just to make sure: Have you set up the SKSE memory fix, ENBoost, and Stable uGridsToLoad? If you have ENBoost, I was having crashes at certain transitions because the latest ENB binaries don't work for me, so try downgrading to an older version.
I'm mostly following STEP except skipping primarily the texture replacers and ENBoost. I don't quite understand the appeal of ENBoost, is it just color scheme adjustment and DoF? The latter looks amazing in screenshots but I don't see it as practical in-game. Also, when I tried TrueVision ENB, water disappeared from view, and almost everything was transparent indoors (except for characters showing up as floating eyeballs). I didn't want to deal with troubleshooting that at the time so I dumped it. Is ENB needed for stability?

I do have Stable uGridsToLoad, but I'm not quite familiar with the SKSE memory fix and I don't see it on the STEP instructions although they briefly mention in passing something by Sheson. This link says that it was already implemented into the latest SKSE.

I'm going to try getting rid of OpenCities and culling other mods and seeing where that takes me.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

Bad idea. Not only does it make enemies super-OP, it also can lead to stability isues since SPERG perks were created with only the player in mind. Seriously, just up the spawns in ASIS.

Do enemies break the uncapper rules and get twice as many perks as I do?

It's too bad enemies can't use smithing to improve their gear.

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

GunnerJ posted:

MO Overwrite advice.

NihilCredo posted:

MO Overwrite Advice Redux

Thanks. I've just been creating a new mod with the overwrite and naming it a timestamp, i.e. overwrite20150118 and I haven't had any issues.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Bouchacha posted:

I'm mostly following STEP except skipping primarily the texture replacers and ENBoost. I don't quite understand the appeal of ENBoost, is it just color scheme adjustment and DoF? The latter looks amazing in screenshots but I don't see it as practical in-game. Also, when I tried TrueVision ENB, water disappeared from view, and almost everything was transparent indoors (except for characters showing up as floating eyeballs). I didn't want to deal with troubleshooting that at the time so I dumped it. Is ENB needed for stability?

As a point of clarification, ENB is a graphics post-processing... thing, ENBoost uses some technical tweaks from ENB without applying any color changes. What it basically does (iirc) is provide an end-run around Skyrim's hard 3.1 GB memory cap.

The thing to note from these instructions is that setting "UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true" disables everything but the memory and performance tricks.

quote:

I do have Stable uGridsToLoad, but I'm not quite familiar with the SKSE memory fix and I don't see it on the STEP instructions although they briefly mention in passing something by Sheson. This link says that it was already implemented into the latest SKSE.

It is, but it requires some extra steps. STEP has a guide for it, but they regretably don't make it easy to spot: http://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender

Here's a video explaining what it does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xAMUQc1oY

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

Do enemies break the uncapper rules and get twice as many perks as I do?

It's too bad enemies can't use smithing to improve their gear.

They'll get both the vanilla perks and the sperg perks.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I want to start a bandit clan using Sokco's Guild Starter, but I need to find a suitable place to set up my HQ, anyone know of any player house mods that would do as a bandit camp? It's hard to locate anything that has room for followers or whatever that isn't a giant retarded palace.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Davoren posted:

I want to start a bandit clan using Sokco's Guild Starter, but I need to find a suitable place to set up my HQ, anyone know of any player house mods that would do as a bandit camp? It's hard to locate anything that has room for followers or whatever that isn't a giant retarded palace.

Is using an abandoned fort that you've cleared an option?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
A cool mod would be some quest to clear those forts out for local forces to use or something. It's strains my suspension of disbelief a bit for there to be so many abandoned forts near towns full of bandits and all the Imperial and Stormcloak troops are just happy to march by.

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

I know the civil war questline has you go take over a bunch of those forts, I've never been back to see if they remain occupied by whichever side you back or if they revert to bandits.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Most of them end up being taken over by the side you backed, though you can probably use some of the run down ones. There's one near Dawnstar that you can clear out that has a mine.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Seashell Salesman posted:

A cool mod would be some quest to clear those forts out for local forces to use or something. It's strains my suspension of disbelief a bit for there to be so many abandoned forts near towns full of bandits and all the Imperial and Stormcloak troops are just happy to march by.

If you clear a fort out troops of the side that owns the hold will occupy it within a few days.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

As a point of clarification, ENB is a graphics post-processing... thing, ENBoost uses some technical tweaks from ENB without applying any color changes. What it basically does (iirc) is provide an end-run around Skyrim's hard 3.1 GB memory cap.

The thing to note from these instructions is that setting "UsePatchSpeedhackWithoutGraphics=true" disables everything but the memory and performance tricks.

It is, but it requires some extra steps. STEP has a guide for it, but they regretably don't make it easy to spot: http://wiki.step-project.com/Skyrim_Script_Extender

Here's a video explaining what it does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37xAMUQc1oY

Ahhh, that makes more sense regarding ENB. I did already follow the SKSE instructions, but you'll note that they mention the Sheson memory fix at the bottom of the page but they never revisit it (as far as I know) later on the guide.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've seen stormcloaks and imperials attack forts by themselves too.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I'm pretty green to Skyrim (bought it during the recent sale) and I was so excited to buy my first house but then I crashed to desktop the minute I tried to open the door.

I'm crashing to desktop without any error dialogues or anything when I try to enter Breezehome. This is my mod list/order, any ideas?:

The March Hare fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 18, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Scyantific posted:

Most of them end up being taken over by the side you backed, though you can probably use some of the run down ones. There's one near Dawnstar that you can clear out that has a mine.

Ah ok I've never bothered to do any of the civil war intrigue so that would make sense.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've seen stormcloaks and imperials attack forts by themselves too.

Unrelated but this made me think of it: one of the patrol mods I've added (not sure which one is doing it) has generated roaming guard patrols that will enter mines and bandit camps and clear them out. I was taking out a bounty and was midway through the hideout when I got the "boss killed" sound and a bunch of guards met me on their way out.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

One mod of a mod I'd like to see is a texture set for Dreogan's Skyforge equipment that makes the ebony stuff a deeper black with a glassy shine. It's kind of disappointing to drop a bunch of valuable ebony ingots into the Skyforge and get back a sword that looks like it's made of wrought iron rather than ebony.

E: In fact, make them all shinier. Make even the steel one gleam like a properly polished and maintained steel sword should.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Bouchacha posted:

I'm going to try getting rid of OpenCities and culling other mods and seeing where that takes me.

Even before I'd heard of gategate I never really got the allure of opencities.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I think it'd be really neat if weapons and armor had a chance to drop with various levels of smithing improvements applied to them already, so maybe that Iron Dagger you find might be an Iron Dagger (Exquisite) or whatever. Does anything like that exist?

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Fina posted:

I think it'd be really neat if weapons and armor had a chance to drop with various levels of smithing improvements applied to them already, so maybe that Iron Dagger you find might be an Iron Dagger (Exquisite) or whatever. Does anything like that exist?

This adds a bunch of stuff involving durability but also does what you're describing: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/55677/

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 18, 2015

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Is it worth it to install ENBoost even if I'm not running an ENB and my setup is a laptop with 4G of ram and a Geforce GT 540M?

I can run vanilla Skyrim alright, but any lighting mods or such turn it into a slideshow.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'll have to look into that one, thanks. Another question then: In New Vegas I had a mod called Signature Weapons that allowed you to gain perks and buffs for a weapon (and armor IIRC) as you continued to use it. It was maybe a little overpowered but it allowed you to stick with one weapon through the game. I suppose it was more important in NV because each gun differed more than each melee weapon in Skyrim does, but I haven't found anything that quite matches this idea for Skyrim.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

GunnerJ posted:

How do you know if the memory heap size thing works once you've installed it? Like how can I confirm it's working in-game?

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Phoneposting, but I'll try and adress a few questions I saw:

march hare: off the top of my head, you have the unofficial patches out of the proper order on both the left and right sides.

It should be:
Skyrim.esm
Update.esm
Unofficial Skyrim Patch.esp
Dawnguard.esm
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.esp
Hearthfires.esm
Unofficial Hearthfires Patch.esp
Dragonborn.esm
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.esp

Also make sure you have the Sheson Memory Fix, safety load, and enboost running.

You should probably grab LOOT and TES5edit to make a merged patch too.

axlotl farmer: yes absolutely.

Whoever was talking about Signature Weapons: I'm actually supposed to be testing LtSmash's port of that into Skyrim right now, but I've been slacking. I'm sure if you asked him nicely, he'd hook you up.

Light Gun Man: are you crashing as much anymore? :)

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Light Gun Man posted:

How do you know if the memory heap size thing works once you've installed it? Like how can I confirm it's working in-game?

ENBoost displays a big red message on your screen when Skyrim initially loads, so you'll be well aware that it's been applied (the message fades out after a few seconds).
You'll probably also notice that loading screens may take a little longer, but they will load and I instantly noticed that crashes all but disappeared. Before I put ENBoost in I had started to crash a lot on transitions, after I think I've crashed twice in 100's of hours of gameplay.
I've just been able to level a character up to level 78 and have killed my first Legendary dragon because the game is now the stablest it's ever been (and because SPERG makes levelling up fun and easy! Thanks seorin!).

That Ignorant Sap
Nov 20, 2010

YOU AIN'T LOOKIN' AT A
BUNCH OF RHINOS, HERE.

Davoren posted:

There's a couple on Nexus, though I've never used them, or know anything about them, really, but here ya go:
Riverstone Fort and Fort Buldurr, both look to be near Ivarstead.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Agents are GO! posted:

Light Gun Man: are you crashing as much anymore? :)

I'm not crashing at all, I'm still setting up my mods for a first ever run (and it's been going incredibly smoothly, surprisingly). I assumed the memory heap thing was a wise thing to do with or without crashing, am I wrong there?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

axolotl farmer posted:

Is it worth it to install ENBoost even if I'm not running an ENB and my setup is a laptop with 4G of ram and a Geforce GT 540M?

I can run vanilla Skyrim alright, but any lighting mods or such turn it into a slideshow.

ENBoost appears to be a preconfigured ini for ENB. It won't do anything unless you use ENB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Is there a way to retrieve a load order (or even just mod list) from a savegame, or am I just going to have to start over?
wrye bash

• Locked thread