Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry
Are there any tips for getting Steven? It's the last thing I need for Platinum God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

TheModernAmerican posted:

Are there any tips for getting Steven? It's the last thing I need for Platinum God.

Pick Azazel. Run through the Basement/Cellar until found.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

So... there's nothing really to do at all? I've seen the boss Steven about 15-20 times now and I've only seen the familiar.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The only other thing you really can do is get lucky enough to get an infinite D6 reroll setup or infinite blank card/item reroll rune setup with Isaac and just reroll through every single item in the boss pool until you eventually find it. And I don't recommend that because it'd take a crazy long time to get the right variables in place to attempt it.

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Dr. Fetus posted:

He doesn't appear in the cellar, so restart if you get it.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

CJacobs posted:

The only other thing you really can do is get lucky enough to get an infinite D6 reroll setup or infinite blank card/item reroll rune setup with Isaac and just reroll through every single item in the boss pool until you eventually find it. And I don't recommend that because it'd take a crazy long time to get the right variables in place to attempt it.

Steven (item) isn't in the boss pool- it's in the Steven (boss) pool. And even if you somehow managed to have an infinite re-roll on floor 1 (which is the only floor Steven appears on) AND encountered Stephen, re-rolling a drop from Steven pulls from the boss-room pool, not the Steven pool.

So basically, TheModernAmerican, unless you luck out have fun spending 8 hours running Basement 1 as Azazel.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

After beating Satan with Samson, I went back to beat Isaac with him.

When I got the Cathedral, the game pegged me with Curse of the Unknown. Then I found the 2 of Diamonds, which double your money, when I already had 99 coins. THANKS, GAME.

Fortunately, I got two soul hearts in a Curse Room and could only pick one of them up, which told me I had full health. Then I drew a health bar on a Post-It Note to keep track of my health... and of course, had to knock one off as I left.

At least the game gave me a Sun card earlier.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
After 200+ deaths with the Lost and only managing an incomplete hard difficulty Isaac kill, I said gently caress it and started Alt-F4ing my way through if I picked up some momentum. As a result, I've now completed every unlock aside from a number of hard heart babies and donating up to 999. gently caress you game.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

I don't think Steven is in my game. I've seen the boss 6 times in a few hours worth of grinding. Is the drop rate really that low or am I just incredibly unlucky?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Steven (the item) was notoriously rare in the original game, too, which could be rectified by getting insanely lucky enough to also have found Little Steve in the treasure room on the first floor; Steven (the item) and Little Steve are Steven (the boss)'s only items, so having one automatically guarantees you the other. I don't think Little Steve is a treasure room item in Rebirth, unfortunately.

edit: Just checked, and yes, it is, but again that requires crazy amounts of luck for those two things to coincide so don't count on it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Jan 17, 2015

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

No, Steven in the first game dropped around a quarter of every Steven kill. This is much much worse.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
According to the wiki, Steven has a 20% chance of dropping Steven and 80% chance of Little Steve just the same as in the original game, and Steven himself has like a 10% chance of replacing Gemini who has a 20% chance of appearing on Basement 1 (add or subtract a bit for Famine). So, uh, good luck. I'm just one item shy of Real Plat God myself (raw liver) but I really like this game so I'm not in any hurry to grind for it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Jan 17, 2015

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Well I've seen the boss at least 25 times, so I guess I'm really unlucky.

I really like this game too, I just want Plat god out of the way before I really go for the lost's bullshit.

weaaddar
Jul 17, 2004
HAY GUYS WHAT IS TEH INTERWEBNET, AND ISN'T A0L the SECKZ!? :LOL: 1337
PS I'M A FUCKING LOSER

CJacobs posted:

According to the wiki, Steven has a 20% chance of dropping Steven and 80% chance of Little Steve just the same as in the original game, and Steven himself has like a 10% chance of replacing Gemini who has a 20% chance of appearing on Basement 1 (add or subtract a bit for Famine). So, uh, good luck. I'm just one item shy of Real Plat God myself (raw liver) but I really like this game so I'm not in any hurry to grind for it.

It's rather crappy that unlike the original, Steven doesn't appear in Gold Chests. It use to be pretty common to eventually get Steven when you had guppy's tail now you literally just need to pray that the RNG doesn't gently caress you.

If it makes you feel better, I finally saw the drat thing on my grind out of suicide king. You'll be surprised how calm you'll be when you realize it doesn't loving count. However, in the many many deaths I accrued to grind out the lost I ran into him again.

weaaddar fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 17, 2015

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
So those percentages would place the likelihood of getting Steven (ignoring the possibility of getting little stephen) at like 0.4% (1/250), and that's assuming you get Basement 1 and not the Cellar.

Through sheer poo poo luck I saw Steven at least 14-16 times before he dropped it, and I must've been doing Basement 1 runs for 6+ hours.

Which really makes me rethink my priorities in life...

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Whereas as soon as I played a game after this current discussion, Steven dropped for me. :smug:

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

Next thread title should be - Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Pray that the RNG doesn't gently caress you.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Ironically enough I got Steven during my last Lost run.

Finally unlocked Godhead. gently caress the Lost forever.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Waffle! posted:

Next thread title should be - Binding of Isaac: Rebirth - Pray that the RNG doesn't gently caress you.

The Binding of Isaac Rebirth - So, The Lost, Steven, a Raw Liver, the 1-Up, and Godhead walk into a bar...

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
You forgot Black Lotus and Transcendence

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
gently caress yeah, after having my win streak go to -260 it's finally back in the positive. I killed ??? with The Lost. The run was kind of underwhelming except for one point in The Chest where there was a Double Adversary room that really nearly hosed everything up. I got Holy Mantle in my first item room, Dead Cat in the Caves, and then became Guppy in Necropolis. I was also lucky enough to pick up some decent damage ups. It wasn't insane crazy damage, though.

Now I just gotta do Satan, The Lamb, and Boss Rush. Hopefully I find Isaac's Heart soon, and then just steam roll everything.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I got Steven by accident. I picked up Little Steven in the first item room, and then got him as a boss, so he was forced to drop the damage up.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

I actually got the Black Lotus last night as Maggy. I ended up dying because there was one room in the Depths/Necropolist that had spikes close to the doors, and I kept holding the stick as I walked through the door, forgetting this doesn't have the delay the Flash game had, and stepping on them.

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

YES!

168 hours; so worth it.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Game Guy + Habit is hilarious. Too bad I wasn't also playing as Samson.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Mom's purse just gave me 3 Luck up pills :monocle:

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Sebbe posted:

YES!

168 hours; so worth it.

:hfive:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing
According to Steam I spent 64 hours playing the Flash version but it was kind of a pain on Mac because the achievements didn't work and the game would become slow as molasses very quickly. Rebooting my laptop after each session to get the fans to stop was a bit tiring so I eventually just kind of abandoned the game. Think I might have gotten into Sheol once over all that time and died in the first room.

I'm still far from being a great player, but in about 50 hours of rebirth I've at least killed Satan a couple of times and Isaac once, unlocked 39% of the achievements and never had to reboot because of lovely Flash coding. Also found Steven a couple of runs ago, so that's one less thing to worry about on my way to 100% completion (ETA: 2050).

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Never, ever pick up Mom's Knife + Ludovico Technique. The blade has the turning radius of the R.M.S. Titanic, the speed of a snail, a hitbox the size of an ant, and poo poo damage to boot.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

LLCoolJD posted:

Never, ever pick up Mom's Knife + Ludovico Technique. The blade has the turning radius of the R.M.S. Titanic, the speed of a snail, a hitbox the size of an ant, and poo poo damage to boot.

Actually Ludovico + Knife + Quadshot is hilarious. It's just a ring of knives.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Testekill posted:

Actually Ludovico + Knife + Quadshot is hilarious. It's just a ring of knives.

That would make it much better. The single knife has an arc to it and a small enough hit zone that it's really frustrating to wield. I managed to get halfway through the Satan fight before getting iced.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

So in my quest to unlock the Polaroid, I thought I'd beat Isaac with five different characters. So far I've beaten him with Isaac, Samson, Eden, and Cain. But either I'm having terrible luck with Eve or I just suck with her (or "him", if you want to get technical). I got to the Cathedral with her once, didn't last long. Then I had a run get ruined by the Ludovico.

And the Cursed Eye can go gently caress itself, too.

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

Wow. Shielded tears really, really rock. I just about got murdered by Satan from almost a full health bar (as Maggie) because I kept getting hit by bomb eels, but no-hitted The Lamb because of being shielded and having Proptosis so my tears were body sized.

Also, I got a room in Sheol with a laser-eyeball turret and four Walking Hosts. Jesus Christ.

strangemusic fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 18, 2015

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Codiekitty posted:

So in my quest to unlock the Polaroid, I thought I'd beat Isaac with five different characters. So far I've beaten him with Isaac, Samson, Eden, and Cain. But either I'm having terrible luck with Eve or I just suck with her (or "him", if you want to get technical). I got to the Cathedral with her once, didn't last long. Then I had a run get ruined by the Ludovico.

And the Cursed Eye can go gently caress itself, too.

My first win with the lost actually got started with a Cursed Eye. I think one of the patches changed it from 4 shots when charged to 6 because it's a pretty good damage buff. I got 20/20 on the next floor and those two items cleaned house for the next few floors,

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

strangemusic posted:

Wow. Shielded tears really, really rock. I just about got murdered by Satan from almost a full health bar (as Maggie) because I kept getting hit by bomb eels, but no-hitted The Lamb because of being shielded and having Proptosis so my tears were body sized.

Also, I got a room in Sheol with a laser-eyeball turret and four Walking Hosts. Jesus Christ.

My favourite is getting Shielded tears with something like Dead Onion (spectral + piercing effects)- It pierces through the tears and destroys all of them in your path.

Combine with Parasite for additional hilarity and laugh as you create a shield wall in front of you.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

I think I'm getting the hang of things, just in time for my Logitech gamepad to arrive this coming week.

strangemusic posted:

I've had a few of those. They're rough.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
If you're not using the Slamming of Isaac: Rebound mod you're playing this game wrong.

circ dick soleil fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jan 19, 2015

Sebbe
Feb 29, 2004

Here's a fun little combo I've been thinking would work for a while, but didn't get to check out until now:

Any non-specific heart drops generated in this room turn into eternal hearts. So, if you use A Card Against Humanity inthere, well, that's a few HP ups.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
they said in the cathedral, with a full complement of soul/sin hearts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Tollymain posted:

they said in the cathedral, with a full complement of soul/sin hearts

That's a second secret room. One that had an eternal heart on the floor to begin with, so any other hearts that will appear in that room will be forced in to eternal hearts as well thanks to the bit of code that. The same thing works with the second secret room that has the Dark Room style with a black heart on the floor.

You can also use Lovers card, the Jar, Hematemesis pills, old bandage/fanny pack and a source of damage, bloody penny.. anything that causes hearts to drop on the ground.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jan 18, 2015