Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
That last model gives a strong B5 vibe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Angry Lobster posted:

Except with more polygons and better textures.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I'm getting something between the NSEA Protector and the Andromeda Ascendant.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Things in Nemesis I liked:

1) Picard, the life-long bachelor calling Riker "Mr Troi"
2) The reveal of the Scimitar with Picards line, "she's a predator" is a just a great scene.
3) Until the plot gets stupid, and ignoring some of the rape-facing towards Troi, Picard and Shinzon's scenes are usually kinda good.
4) Kamakaze Enterprise was the coolest thing when I was 14

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Eh the new Warbird is really the only truely redeeming thing about Nemesis, and I guess giving us Tom Hardy.

Something old Sci-fi series really did was was the openings. Look at Space 1999
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WZW4groJro

You wouldn't think it was more of a slower show looking at all those fast cuts and hot wa wa guitar over it. Also, the BSG remake stole the idea of showing episode clips during the opening. I always through RDM was going "gently caress you you big spoiler babies, I'm gonna spoil the entire show in the opening!".

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

twistedmentat posted:

I always through RDM was going "gently caress you you big spoiler babies, I'm gonna spoil the entire show in the opening!".

I'd always look away during that part, it was annoying.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carnaticum posted:

Things in Nemesis I liked:

1) Picard, the life-long bachelor calling Riker "Mr Troi"
2) The reveal of the Scimitar with Picards line, "she's a predator" is a just a great scene.
3) Until the plot gets stupid, and ignoring some of the rape-facing towards Troi, Picard and Shinzon's scenes are usually kinda good.
4) Kamakaze Enterprise was the coolest thing when I was 14

I think the Scimitar itself was also a pretty neat bad guy ship. :shobon: The unfolding spider wings, super-mega cloak, fighters (that were only used to shoot up the inside of the ship), and doomsday gun were all pretty silly, but I thought it looked very good for a massive Romulan warbird. I'd pay to see a movie about the Scimitar wrecking poo poo during the Dominion War as a Romulan flagship.

Or, hell, a movie about the Romulans doing something during the Dominion War beyond dying and being a PITA to the alliance. Still disappointed that Star Trek's never shown the Romulans in full-on asskicking mode, living up to the veiled threat they're usually relegated to.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Angry Lobster posted:

It's seriously a Whitestar without the big Minbari fishtails

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Cythereal posted:

I think the Scimitar itself was also a pretty neat bad guy ship. :shobon: The unfolding spider wings, super-mega cloak, fighters (that were only used to shoot up the inside of the ship), and doomsday gun were all pretty silly, but I thought it looked very good for a massive Romulan warbird. I'd pay to see a movie about the Scimitar wrecking poo poo during the Dominion War as a Romulan flagship.

It looks pretty boss in the Armada 3 mod.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I notice most of the warbirds seem to have a big round hole in the middle. Isn't that what the Vulcan ships in Enterprise had instead of the two nacelles that Jesus Christ intended?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Nessus posted:

I notice most of the warbirds seem to have a big round hole in the middle. Isn't that what the Vulcan ships in Enterprise had instead of the two nacelles that Jesus Christ intended?

The artistic rule at the time of early TNG when the warbird was introduced was that warp nacelles had to "see" each other in order to work.

A couple of books have rationalized that empty space on the D'Deridex warbirds is space for optional modules and upgrades that can simply be bolted into the ship's existing structure.

Another one had a Defiant-class ship slip into those giant holes and split the ship open from the inside.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I've never been satisfied with that design.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel
Clearly it must have something to do with the artificial singularity that powers all Romulan ships.

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

I've only seen Nemesis once, when I flipped on Sci Fi or something and it was Patrick Stewart driving a dune buggy. I said "Welp. I guess I couldn't run from this forever," and I watched the rest. I don't really remember any of it though, except for the scene where the guy pulls himself along the thing that's impaling him in order to swear at a septuagenarian. I always remember those scenes, because my MA thesis was on the Old Norse Saga that they're all ultimately getting that trope from, except everybody messes it up (LotR is the other one that springs to mind). They always have the villain do the pull-the-spear-through-his-own-body thing, but the guy who did it, Þorgeirr Hávarsson, wasn't a villain at all. He was kind of the hero, but he was kind of a dick. We the audience are behind him, and while we can see how he got what's coming to him, the overriding emotion is awe at how he died precisely as he lived, sc. kicking a guy's rear end:

Lee Hollander's Fóstbrœðrasaga posted:

Very soon they boarded Thorgeir's ship and fought their way with hard blows. Thorgeir wielded his axe with both hands, and for a long time no one could touch him, because no one was anxious for night quarters under his battle-axe, and yet many of them got just that. Thorgeir's men soon were overcome. Then he himself leaped back to the prow and defended himself there, because the odds against him were great. ...

All praised his valor who had seen how manfully he fought, and all men thought that there had never been found his equal. And because Thorgrím's men found it a greater test of their manhood to come to close quarters with Thorgeir than to fondle their women, they did not find it so easy to overcome him. In fact, his fall was dearly bought. ...Thorgeir slew fourteen men before he fell. ...

Már was the name of the Norwegian who wounded him in the arm, whereupon he gave Már a fatal blow. Another Norwegian, named Thórir closed with him, with the spear in his body, and slew him. ...But even as Thórir had fallen and his spear was still in Thorgeir's body, he yet stood up, and there was a bitter fight, because now Thórarin and Thorgrím were close by and set upon him, and then Thorgeir fell and died. Thórarin Arrogance cut off his head and brought it away with him. Some say that they cleft open his breast to see what sort of heart he had, with such courage as his.

So it's a guy whose strength is monstrous and grotesque, who has done a lot of illegal and immoral poo poo, but we also like him, and he's getting his last hurrah. His last hurrah is violent and disturbing and shows us that maybe we didn't want to get that close to him after all, since he is a monster, but like, wow, give him a hand.

The angry clone mind rapist using his last breath to yell at an old guy does not really capture the fullness of the sentiment, you know?

Come to think of it, it's a good use of the basic scene in Peacekeeper Wars when that basically happens to D'argo. That's a little botched too, I think--what would have been really tragic would have been to see him huffing and puffing and getting pissed off while Chiana tried to say goodbye, but trying to hold back but ultimately giving in to the hyper-rage he hated so much so that he might save his friends. Because no matter what he wanted out of life, his greatest aptitude would always be for violence. Poor D'argo :smith:

meatpath
Feb 13, 2003

Is there going to be a Blu-ray box set release of the entire TNG series in the US?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Scudworth posted:

I'd always look away during that part, it was annoying.

:laffo:

Can't run the risk of these half-second out of context frames spoiling what I'm going to see in the next 45 minutes!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Can't run the risk of these half-second out of context frames spoiling what I'm going to see in the next 45 minutes!

During the last season hell no.

tastychicken
Jul 17, 2007
Title text goes here

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I prefer to watch my shows/movies with as few expectations as possible. The intro half-second clips give me too many ideas, man... sue me! (Please don't. I'm poor as poo poo!)

Edit: http://imgur.com/axEekQm Even the ads know it.

tastychicken fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Jan 18, 2015

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

twistedmentat posted:

Eh the new Warbird is really the only truely redeeming thing about Nemesis, and I guess giving us Tom Hardy.

Nemesis almost took Tom Hardy away from us.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I never realised Tom Hardy wad Shitzon until now.

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

Dysgenesis posted:

I never realised Tom Hardy wad Shitzon until now.

His performance was good,

The character they wrote for him was awful.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

SkaAndScreenplays posted:

His performance was good,

The character they wrote for him was awful.

"I always hoped to reach two metres."

That's nearly 6'7".

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The funny thing is, I loved that stuff. It was always just like "oh poo poo, Starbuck's gonna die?! Don't give me blueballs on this again, Moore!" or "can't wait to find out why Baltar is throwing his hands up and shrieking"

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
When my mum asked me, "Are there any DVDs you'd like for Christmas this year?" I debated asking the BSG set. I think I made the right choice with Farscape but I'd like to give BSG a try eventually. And Stargate Universe as well, for that matter, but the DVD set for it seems to be really expensive (around £45 on Amazon) for only two seasons' worth of material.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Cythereal posted:

Or, hell, a movie about the Romulans doing something during the Dominion War beyond dying and being a PITA to the alliance. Still disappointed that Star Trek's never shown the Romulans in full-on asskicking mode, living up to the veiled threat they're usually relegated to.

By Inferno's Light, when the Dominion is set to come out of the wormhole, the station detects a massive tachyon surge and an entire FLEET OF ROMULAN WARBIRDS UNCLOAKS AND ASKS PERMISSION TO JOIN THE DEFENSE FLEET, JESUS CHRIST, HOLY poo poo gently caress THIS IS AMAZING gently caress YES gently caress YES gently caress YES

And then nothing happens.

:negative:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

armoredgorilla posted:

By Inferno's Light, when the Dominion is set to come out of the wormhole, the station detects a massive tachyon surge and an entire FLEET OF ROMULAN WARBIRDS UNCLOAKS AND ASKS PERMISSION TO JOIN THE DEFENSE FLEET, JESUS CHRIST, HOLY poo poo gently caress THIS IS AMAZING gently caress YES gently caress YES gently caress YES

And then nothing happens.

:negative:

it was a fake (out).

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snak posted:

it was a fake (out).

Which is the disappointment. The Romulans are a threat always alluded to, always hanging over the TNG and to a lesser extent DS9 and ENT crews' heads, but I think you can count the number of times they're actually seen in action on one hand and it's either in an awfully written movie featuring weird Romulan spinoff super-ships (Nemesis, reboot), or them as cannon fodder (Dominion War).

The Romulans are my personal pick for the biggest source of wasted potential in the setting.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Metal Loaf posted:

When my mum asked me, "Are there any DVDs you'd like for Christmas this year?" I debated asking the BSG set. I think I made the right choice with Farscape but I'd like to give BSG a try eventually. And Stargate Universe as well, for that matter, but the DVD set for it seems to be really expensive (around £45 on Amazon) for only two seasons' worth of material.

The Internet loves to poo poo on BSG's ending, but it's a fantastic series. When you watch it, don't post about it, don't discuss it here, and don't read the tviv thread. Just enjoy it in a bubble.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
The miniseries is very good

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Space 1999 might make less sense than Lexx, but it was the 70s so they can't be held responsible for this crime

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The Internet loves to poo poo on BSG's ending, but it's a fantastic series. When you watch it, don't post about it, don't discuss it here, and don't read the tviv thread. Just enjoy it in a bubble.

This is the way to do it. For shows that are several years old, any thread about it will be filled with people who have over analyzed everything and make fun of it's flaws. Watch BSG without discussing it with anyone and just enjoy it. Yes, the ending isn't as strong as other seasons but the show is still good all the way through. Watch the miniseries, then up to season 3, then watch Razor then watch season 4 then watch The Plan. That's all that exists for the BSG universe. You can watch Caprica if you want. It's a bit decent but it was canceled and ends with a bunch of loose ends. Blood and Chrome is absolute garbage and contributes nothing to the BSG lore.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Blood and Chrome is garbage in more ways than one. The CGI is just terrible all around seeing as all the Galalctica sets were struck but then recreated using a digital backdrop. Felt like I was watching a cheap Asylum knockoff.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I finished watching TAS, and its really good, especially for that era. It really feels like Star Trek in every episode. I thought it was funny when I was watching The Slaver Weapon and though "this is a lot like that short story by David Niven, the Soft Weapon, even with cat aliens too". Then saw "Written by David Niven" at the end, and realized that they must have gotten him to adapt his short story into a TAS episode.

One thing that did annoy me is how Majel Barrett does pretty much every female voice except Uhura, as she has one voice. At least Doohan who did a lot of the other voices can actually can do multiple voices.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

twistedmentat posted:

I finished watching TAS, and its really good, especially for that era. It really feels like Star Trek in every episode. I thought it was funny when I was watching The Slaver Weapon and though "this is a lot like that short story by David Niven, the Soft Weapon, even with cat aliens too". Then saw "Written by David Niven" at the end, and realized that they must have gotten him to adapt his short story into a TAS episode.

One thing that did annoy me is how Majel Barrett does pretty much every female voice except Uhura, as she has one voice. At least Doohan who did a lot of the other voices can actually can do multiple voices.
Larry Niven, not the Bond guy. And yeah, that is literally what happened, he even complained later because he thought it was hurting his efforts to hustle the original.

My namesake took Spock's role in the original.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Cythereal posted:

Which is the disappointment. The Romulans are a threat always alluded to, always hanging over the TNG and to a lesser extent DS9 and ENT crews' heads, but I think you can count the number of times they're actually seen in action on one hand and it's either in an awfully written movie featuring weird Romulan spinoff super-ships (Nemesis, reboot), or them as cannon fodder (Dominion War).

The Romulans are my personal pick for the biggest source of wasted potential in the setting.

They never did make the Romulans live up to the talk. It was always "They're a power to rival the Federation, we gotta be supes careful in case this pisses the Romulans off, oh poo poo Picard you just make G'kar made you're in trouble now!" but aside from him the only competent Romulan we ever see turns out to be a Changeling.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mister Adequate posted:

They never did make the Romulans live up to the talk. It was always "They're a power to rival the Federation, we gotta be supes careful in case this pisses the Romulans off, oh poo poo Picard you just make G'kar made you're in trouble now!" but aside from him the only competent Romulan we ever see turns out to be a Changeling.

I'm a fan of the idea that in Generations it should have been Romulans as the bad guys instead of Klingons, and the E-D should have gone down fighting in the long-awaited showdown with a Warbird.

Fucked-Up Little Dog
Aug 26, 2008

Posting live from the nightmare future of Web 3.0

Scratchmo

Cythereal posted:

I'm a fan of the idea that in Generations it should have been Romulans as the bad guys instead of Klingons, and the E-D should have gone down fighting in the long-awaited showdown with a Warbird.

Just reading this makes me so angry about what we actually got because I am the biggest nerd.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Evek posted:

Blood and Chrome is garbage in more ways than one. The CGI is just terrible all around seeing as all the Galalctica sets were struck but then recreated using a digital backdrop. Felt like I was watching a cheap Asylum knockoff.

The worst part is that the twist doesn't make any loving sense. Like, the conclusion of BSG as a series and the path taken there makes sense within the thematic context of the show, but the one in B&C happens for no other reason than "because."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Nothing in Blood and Chrome makes any sense with the rest of the BSG universe. The plot, the weird cylons, everything that happens makes no sense. The only thing that could have any worth is how Adama got his callsign. His co-pilot in B&C keeps calling him Husker because he's Tauron or whatever. That's why it's his callsign. Don't watch Blood and Chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkaAndScreenplays
Dec 11, 2013

by Pragmatica

twistedmentat posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qKcJF4fOPs

• Locked thread