Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

IPCRESS posted:

What's the going rate on second-hand SCUBA?
There's free gear at the bottom of the cave, for real bargain hunters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Apart from the likelihood of finding random bodies, I kind of want to send a tethered sub into a nice set of caves now - I wonder if they'll eventually have the same price drops as drones?

I find the caves themselves fascinating, but the "drowning while stuck in a claustrophobic passage in a labyrinthic cave" part doesn't really appeal to me.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

:stare: would

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

nullEntityRNG posted:

That isn't OSHA, that's Awesome. :colbert:

We need a new thread about people being dangerous idiots, but in a really cool way.

Viz:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CliXVIDRmE

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7nKuqUKV-g

Someday Furze is gonna burn down his work shed and the world will be worse off for it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

quote:

"Do not do that," he would have warned him.

Thanks Captain Hindsight!

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO

Over There posted:

Thanks Captain Hindsight!

i guess? when i was reading that i thought "that is a terrible idea, if you don't normally dive with a helmet rig then don't" but maybe that's because of how the author set it up

Ogive
Dec 22, 2002

by Lowtax

Delivery McGee posted:

Or you can be hardcore and build your own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Q2cRw9WWsE

Jesus Christ, that is hinky as gently caress. Pro-click, cover your balls with the nearest hard object.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

New FuckingMachines.com vid lookin' good.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

thathonkey posted:

bonus points for pulling over the crosswalk

This is literally every day in Miami.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That'll buff out.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Tunicate posted:

That'll buff out.

:stonk:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PTSDeedly Do
Nov 24, 2014

VOID-DOME LOSER 2020

I don't know if ice accidents count as OSHA but here's one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WgwpwFq2qA

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
why not link to the video directly? it's amazing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pLsM2ijRao

Slugnoid
Jun 23, 2006

Nap Ghost

Slugnoid fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jan 18, 2015

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
This was at a job site I was just at. Anyone know what the heck it means?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PCS Cory seems to be a maintenance shop.

I'm guessing there's a generator in the box?

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem
Lol what a dick.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Nierbo posted:

I think it's a transformer.

Size: 1500kva (kilo volt amps, sort of like a watt rating)
Primary: 13800 volts (standard voltage for power lines along the road providing power to small or medium industries)
Secondary: 4160 volts (standard voltage for moving power around factories, also some larger motors can run at 4160)

How big is the box? For medium voltage to medium voltage, it might be an oil filled transformer. I've seen ones that are air cooled that were 7200V to 480V in a factory.

A medium voltage generator would be really big. I don't think they make "portable" generators higher than 4160V.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jan 18, 2015

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I was thinking one of those big caterpillar generators, but a transformer makes more sense.

Don't see why they'd list the voltages first high and then low otherwise.

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

Bum the Sad posted:

Lol what a dick.

maybe it's really hot and he's doing them a favor

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tunicate posted:

That'll buff out.

Toyota should be using this in their advertising. That that vehicle is apparently capable of highway speeds in that condition is a testament to something (something that's equal parts crazy, stupid, luck, and engineering skill).

Nierbo posted:

It means you work in Saskatchewan. I'm sorry.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Tunicate posted:

I was thinking one of those big caterpillar generators, but a transformer makes more sense.

Don't see why they'd list the voltages first high and then low otherwise.

Sometimes you also see a format like this:

• 13800D HV, 100BIL
  • 4160Y LV, 60BIL

The D and Y are for "delta" and "wye" connections, and the BIL (basic impulse level) is basically how much of an impulse it can withstand from a lightning strike, like a sudden surge to 100,000 volts.

Be aware that on some industrial generators, you can change the connections inside to change the output voltage levels.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 18, 2015

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

bensnotacat posted:

Holy poo poo.

Tony Homo
Oct 30, 2014

by zen death robot

Did he died?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

bensnotacat posted:

poland.avi

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002

by VideoGames
Hell Gem

Tony Homo posted:

Did he died?

He deserved to. What the gently caress did he expect? The shallow rear end shore line wasn't even frozen.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Tony Homo posted:

Did he died?

Supposedly yeah. He was drunk and had already tried to drive his car across (the one in the background) and decides to drive the tractor across instead and since it fell on the door he was planning to bail from he never made it out of the cab.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

dMastri posted:

holy poo poo this is like 10 pages too long and made me late for work and what the gently caress does any of this have to do with ghosts

Divers find dead guy, decide to go back down for dead guy, one of the divers die and the other can't go back down but the dead guy and the original body drift upwards enough to be pulled up IIRC

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

This is what happens when you try to pump your own gas in New Jersey

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Divers find dead guy, decide to go back down for dead guy, one of the divers die and the other can't go back down but the dead guy and the original body drift upwards enough to be pulled up IIRC

This.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

The body has no head though.. should send someone else down for that

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Tony Homo posted:

Did he died?

The description says "accident cause death"

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Kimmalah posted:

The description says "accident cause death"

The thing too is there was really no way to rescue him either. Once the ice cracked he was on his own. Hence the screams of terror and people looking mortified.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Captain Candiru posted:

Supposedly yeah. He was drunk and had already tried to drive his car across (the one in the background) and decides to drive the tractor across instead and since it fell on the door he was planning to bail from he never made it out of the cab.

And everyone immediately just started calmly gathering their poo poo and walking away :stare:

I thought most enclosed tractor cabs had doors on both sides. Apparently not.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Gorilla Salad posted:

And everyone immediately just started calmly gathering their poo poo and walking away :stare:

Eastern Europe.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

Gorilla Salad posted:

At least one woman starts screaming when he goes under (the youtube version editing extra screaming in for some reason) and most/all are clearly are looking around helplessly trying to figure out wtf to do.

Edit: Also, there probably was a door on the other side. He was probably hosed as soon as the door he was ready to jump out of ended up on the down side. Well, not just probably. He did die, afterall. You can see him futilely trying to scramble for the other door as he goes under.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vire
Nov 4, 2005

Like a Bosh

Gorilla Salad posted:

They probably do have doors on both sides but as soon as its even part way underwater its nearly impossible to open a car door even in warm water and he almost definitely went into shock from the cold water and they can't exactly run out there on thin ice to go save him.

Vire fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread