Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mega64 posted:

FFTA is alright, but FFTA2 is much better in every way (unless you prefer the "Marche is the villain" version of the story).

luso clemens is way more annoying than marche ever was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

I made had Marche as a Ninja/Paladin who dual wielded Save the Queen and Excalibur.

FFTA is good.

okay but you gave him Bonecrusher, too, right?

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

YggiDee posted:

They actually changed that for the iOS / Android versions, I guess they figured out that WEWY looked super goofy.

The fact that Square hasn't bothered to update this to ios8 pisses me off.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

corn in the bible posted:

luso clemens is way more annoying than marche ever was.

How, Luso's chill as gently caress despite wearing high heels and getting thrown into a monster-infested world to be left to die with nothing but a giant pizza cutter.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.
FFTA biggest problem is that the base accuracy on most attacks was something like 70%. It's such a stupid decision that does nothing but lengthen battles for no good reason.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

dude789 posted:

FFTA biggest problem is that the base accuracy on most attacks was something like 70%. It's such a stupid decision that does nothing but lengthen battles for no good reason.

all you had to do was use concentrate

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

dude789 posted:

Attack from the side and back

Edit: Or blind everyone. I loved the Archer skillset.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

all you had to do was use concentrate

Forcing players to use up their support slot just to get reliable hit rates is not a good choice when designing a battle system.

Dr Pepper posted:

Attack from the side and back

Edit: Or blind everyone. I loved the Archer skillset.

Attacking from the sides and back only boosted you to 70% and 80% hit rates. FFT handled it much better in that most regular damage attacks were reliable unless the enemy had an equip or skill to boost their evasion.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jan 18, 2015

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
70% is not particularly inconsistent and attacking from behind boosted you to 90-95%

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

dude789 posted:

No this is a valid complaint, and one they fixed in the sequel by making almost all attacks have 100% base accuracy and you get a bonus to damage for attacking on the flank or rear. Of course then they went and made a lot of good abilites, like the dragoon's jump, have poo poo accuracy.

My biggest problem with FFTA is that the AI is completely retarded. In FFT the AI could pull off some pretty brilliant stuff, but in FFTA you could always count on the AI doing something incredibly stupid, like attacking your dudes with bonecrusher equipped.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
It also made the game way too easy. I swear enemy black and white mages spent more time using basic attacks than actually casting spells. FFTA2 fixed this to some degree at least.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Mega64 posted:

FFTA is alright, but FFTA2 is much better in every way (unless you prefer the "Marche is the villain" version of the story).

i did not like FFTA2, as the sweet bunny assassins were nerfed

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

forbidden lesbian posted:

i liked that concentrate even worked with their instant-kill moves, meaning assassins could kill everyone instantly with no problems

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Get Innocuous! posted:

It also made the game way too easy. I swear enemy black and white mages spent more time using basic attacks than actually casting spells. FFTA2 fixed this to some degree at least.

Exactly. I'm pretty certain that AI units were programmed to alternate between normal attacks and special abilities.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

i liked that concentrate even worked with their instant-kill moves, meaning assassins could kill everyone instantly with no problems

And if the enemy happened to be immune to instant KO they could just Ultima it from like 8 tiles away with a bow.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I played and finished FFTA because I thought it'd get interesting and challenging but it never did.

Also the law system is terrible and the sidequests are MMO-levels of dull. At least in the sequel they fleshed those out a bit more.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Fister Roboto posted:

My biggest problem with FFTA is that the AI is completely retarded. In FFT the AI could pull off some pretty brilliant stuff, but in FFTA you could always count on the AI doing something incredibly stupid, like attacking your dudes with bonecrusher equipped.

This is an intentional blind spot programmed into the A.I because otherwise the ability is useless.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Kanfy posted:

I played and finished FFTA because I thought it'd get interesting and challenging but it never did.

Also the law system is terrible and the sidequests are MMO-levels of dull. At least in the sequel they fleshed those out a bit more.

i found it fun when played at 5x speed. the game is otherwise way too slow.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

My endgame was 5 Assassins and Ninja Marche, no regrets.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's because FFTA used Tactics Ogre as a base to work off of. Unlike FFTA, Tactics Ogre is actually good.

Plus Knight of Lodis still has all the fun stuff like Snapdragon though I don't recall if you can reanimate/retissue to break combat as badly as you could in the original SFC/PSX game.

Square-Enix bought out Quest Corporation and the Tactics Ogre IP with it in 2002. The developer ended up working on the Ivalice Alliance games, Tactics Ogre PSP, and FFXIV 2.0.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007
I think that FFTA is a really good game, but it's super easy. The whole Judge system didn't really bother me at all.

I never really played Knights of Lodis but my friend had it and beat it and I remember it also being really easy.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

Sort of. They couldn't Stop Breath everything but Blood Priced Ultimas worked almost as well, and could be used from far away. Also, while they weren't assassins, bunny summoner/red mages were the only mages that were any good in FFTA2.

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

Mega64 posted:

FFTA is alright, but FFTA2 is much better in every way

dude what, the MP system in TA2 is utter garbage, and so is Brightmoon Tor

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Origa, best known as the vocalist for the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OPs, passed away at 44 yesterday. :( What I didn't know is that she also did vocals for Final Fantasy XIII-2's soundtrack as well.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Aww, that's a shame. She did a bunch of really cool vocal video game tracks, like this and this.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Mischitary posted:

I think that FFTA is a really good game, but it's super easy. The whole Judge system didn't really bother me at all.

I never really played Knights of Lodis but my friend had it and beat it and I remember it also being really easy.

They were designed to be easy, as are other FF games.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dr Pepper posted:

This is an intentional blind spot programmed into the A.I because otherwise the ability is useless.

Yeah but then they go and make it so that the AI will never intentionally break laws. Even if the AI was programmed to never attack a unit with bonebreaker, it would still be useful as a deterrent.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

PunkBoy posted:

Origa, best known as the vocalist for the Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex OPs, passed away at 44 yesterday. :( What I didn't know is that she also did vocals for Final Fantasy XIII-2's soundtrack as well.

gently caress that sucks :( She did incredible ethereal vocals.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Kanfy posted:

This was more or less my experience. It was an OK game but what hurt it most were expectations and falling under the shadow of competition. FFT had people's expectations high and FFTA just didn't improve on it while bringing some anti-fun stuff out like judges and accuracy issues. The lovely-by-FF standards AI was probably the biggest offender, especially when FFT and the Front Mission games showed they were able to pull off decent AI in tactical games.

Meanwhile Advance Wars, Jeanne D'Arc, and Disgaea were available on handheld and while different, they were frankly better executed and more fun.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

They were not! Whenever I start replaying FFTA2, I think "oh I'll have a diverse team this time" but when it comes down to it, nope, Illusionist/Seer Luso who uses Illusion spells to teleport around the map smacking everyone, 4 bunny assassins with Blood Price and Ultima Masher walking around casually one-shotting people, and a Blood Price Red Mage/Summoner for area attacks and as a last resort with Phoenix. Sometimes she hits Luso and herself with Maduin (which she absorbs and Luso gains MP from taking damage from) so he can telepunch everyone on the map on turn one.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

MarquiseMindfang posted:

They were not! Whenever I start replaying FFTA2, I think "oh I'll have a diverse team this time" but when it comes down to it, nope, Illusionist/Seer Luso who uses Illusion spells to teleport around the map smacking everyone, 4 bunny assassins with Blood Price and Ultima Masher walking around casually one-shotting people, and a Blood Price Red Mage/Summoner for area attacks and as a last resort with Phoenix. Sometimes she hits Luso and herself with Maduin (which she absorbs and Luso gains MP from taking damage from) so he can telepunch everyone on the map on turn one.

I never had any issue with team diversity, because the game is so easy that even subpar combinations can be at least mildly effective. Most of my favorites were classes and races that weren't "optimal," like my Bishop / Defender and my Beastmaster / Time Mage. I like to experiment with different combinations of abilities to see what's fun to use; it's part of why I liked Bravely Default so much, since most combinations will at least be interesting even if they aren't very good.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the most enjoyable broken ability in ffta2 is reverse item

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Didn't this make it into FF12 as well?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Amen.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Sorta. The Nihopalaoa accessory made status-restoring items inflict their status instead.

Throwing a Remedy at something with it equipped was hilarious. :haw:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

There's also the fact that with a modicum of effort you could get end-game equipment after like five story missions. More games should have the option to completely break them if you know what you're doing.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
Big interview about Type-0 HD and FFXV with Tabata: http://kotaku.com/meet-the-new-man-in-charge-of-final-fantasy-1680386455

A lot of interesting details that I don't think we've heard before, such as the original Final Fantasy Versus XIII project targeting Xbox 360 as well instead of being Playstation 3 exclusive.

Bonus, Interview with Wan Hazmer about designing FFXV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pFUJLx55c

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

sort of, but in a less powerful state. In ff12 you could only reverse status items; in ffta2 you can throw any item at all. I remember beating the final boss by shoving x potions down it's throat until it died.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Haha,reading that made me remember that Sakaguchi comment from a couple months ago: "Hey, if you like FF6 so much, why didn't you buy it back then?"

EDIT: Also, wasn't the archer guy, I think his name was Nine I don't remember, actually one of the most broken party members because of his ability to killshot and crit shot from so far away?

Gologle fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jan 19, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sunning posted:

Big interview about Type-0 HD and FFXV with Tabata: http://kotaku.com/meet-the-new-man-in-charge-of-final-fantasy-1680386455

A lot of interesting details that I don't think we've heard before, such as the original Final Fantasy Versus XIII project targeting Xbox 360 as well instead of being Playstation 3 exclusive.

Bonus, Interview with Wan Hazmer about designing FFXV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pFUJLx55c

I really like Tabata. The more I read his interviews the more he comes off as super enthusiastic and invested in his products.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

sort of, but in a less powerful state. In ff12 you could only reverse status items; in ffta2 you can throw any item at all. I remember beating the final boss by shoving x potions down it's throat until it died.

Don't forget using Item Lore as your support skill, for 400 damage Reverse X-Potions. :eng101: