Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Where can I get this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

W424
Oct 21, 2010

Day Man posted:

Where can I get this?

I'd check what the fretboard says before ordering, "kill islamonazis" might suck for example.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want to see the rest of that guitar, they really fit the painting on there well. Anyone have a link?

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Had a browse through Craigslist today and saw this monstrosity.

There was also a Gibson Maestro listed in which the seller graciously offered to wipe off any fingerprints before sale which gave me a chuckle.

e: O. M. G.

:fap:

crashdome fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 18, 2015

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

crashdome posted:

love this!

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Day Man posted:

Where can I get this?

I assume it's a custom Dean for Rob Barrett of Cannibal Corpse, because of the inlay and that's dean's fugly LP copy body shape.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

This just turned up at the local consignment store.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bill Posters posted:

:stare:

i was debating a clear acrylic SG from aliexpress for the tackiness factor but god daaaaaaaamn son

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Bill Posters posted:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

that's terrible like all headless guitars but at the same time oddly compelling

many years ago i had a thing with a chick who had that shirt, and a crass logo tat

when she got a white power chestpiece i began to think maybe this relationship has run its course

If it came as 25.5 or had J-custom hardware i would seriously be putting my money up right now, but as is i'll just look from a distance

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I posted this in the other guitar thread but it's too hilarious not to share here

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

muike posted:

If it came as 25.5 or had J-custom hardware i would seriously be putting my money up right now, but as is i'll just look from a distance

nevermind, i'm not interested in the vader anymore, Ola Strandberg is starting up a line of his guitars made by World Music Inc (already available in Japan) and they'll be available worldwide in the coming months so i'll be buying one of those and posting it here for all my friends :)

e: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/284077-strandberg-boden-japan.html

muike fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 19, 2015

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Speaking of Japan, I was in Tokyo last week on vacation and I spotted this:

Olivil
Jul 15, 2010

Wow I'd like to be as smart as a computer
Goya is italian. Also I want a rangemaster.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Could always get a Naga Viper http://www.catalinbread.com/naga-features

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

crashdome posted:

:fap:
Sexy

Bill Posters posted:

15 minute solo on free bird mandatory

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

This popped up on my local craigslist:

It's ugly in a really charming way and I want it.

$500 though

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

W424 posted:

I'd check what the fretboard says before ordering, "kill islamonazis" might suck for example.

I just kind of assumed it said KILL YOU'RE FAMIL

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Schpyder posted:

I posted this in the other guitar thread but it's too hilarious not to share here

The thing that confuses me the most is the Mosrite bridge.

ElectricHeir posted:

Switches loving rule, especially on the Italian guitars, they loved them some switches, might have something to do with a lot of the guitar factories being re-purposed accordion factories

Some of the most fun I've ever had fixing guitars was watching a metal player try and figure out all the switches on a 60's "Top Twenty" guitar I was restoring, he was like a caveman that just discovered fire. It was great fun "I thought that if all 4 pickups were on, it'd have like.... I don't know... What music is this for? Like... The beatles or whatever didn't have killswitches did they? Is this a killswitch? Why are their 2 killswitches?"

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

White Dog Eggs posted:

The thing that confuses me the most is the Mosrite bridge.

Hallmark mostly makes (really nice) Mosrite clones, so it's probably the only tremolo they stock.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

White Dog Eggs posted:

I also had the Cradle of Filth "Jesus Is a oval office" t-shirt

imagine if you actually bumped into Jesus wearing that. Awkward

ElectricHeir posted:

would

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

Fair Hallion posted:

imagine if you actually bumped into Jesus wearing that. Awkward

I am 80% sure I know who the Ginger-ponytailed guy in the photo is. If it's who I think it is, he posted so many anti-muslim rants on facebook that the police popped around his flat for a chat. I might have to get someone to ask him.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
as an anti social piece of poo poo i really want A Little Thunder

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

I imagine that thing being literally impossible to have clean. It'll sound distorted even when it's unplugged.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
WDE needs to figure out a way to implement this onto goontar because gently caress if I can't get my shower temperature to be anything humanly comfortable.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

crashdome posted:

WDE needs to figure out a way to implement this onto goontar because gently caress if I can't get my shower temperature to be anything humanly comfortable.

I may be making a rod for my own back here, but it wouldn't be too hard to fit that over one of those stupid loving 6-way switches.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
Help me decide what color to make my pickguard on my tacky guitar. Got it over a year ago and it originally had a "frosted" paint job that let the LED's underneath it shine through. I have sense covered the underside with tape so that only the symbol shown will shine through.

However, I am considering changing the color scheme since I am a little bit dissatisfied with it, or maybe just want something new to spice it up. I am actually considering going back to the frost since I did like the contrast that the white gave it. Up to any and all suggestions really!

edit: Or keep it how it is? (btw that is glitter paint ;) )

E-Money
Nov 12, 2005

Got Out.

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Help me decide what color to make my pickguard on my tacky guitar. Got it over a year ago and it originally had a "frosted" paint job that let the LED's underneath it shine through. I have sense covered the underside with tape so that only the symbol shown will shine through.

However, I am considering changing the color scheme since I am a little bit dissatisfied with it, or maybe just want something new to spice it up. I am actually considering going back to the frost since I did like the contrast that the white gave it. Up to any and all suggestions really!

I would gently caress, marry, kill that guitar, not necessarily in that order.

leave it as it is.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

E-Money posted:

I would gently caress, marry, kill that guitar, not necessarily in that order.

leave it as it is.

thanks dude! yeah i do love it but that stupid itch sometimes gets at me. thanks for the vote of confidence.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

thats a loving bad guitar

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Smash it Smash hit posted:

Ohhhhhhhh.
Errrm.
............................Fur? Wrapping paper? I dunno, that's pretty awesome as it is.

The heater in my workshop killed itself earlier, I had to bring all the wood into the the warm to stop the frost getting anything.

This is the spare room;

That wardrobe is stacked with wood, half finished guitars and various power tools, the clothes that were in there are hanging on a string I put up in the main bedroom.

When the Mrs gets back from work, I will be stabbed.

sout
Apr 24, 2014

White Dog Eggs posted:

That wardrobe is stacked with wood, half finished guitars and various power tools, the clothes that were in there are hanging on a string I put up in the main bedroom.

you're up to your neck with necks

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
do you even need the bit of the guitar at the bottom? couldnt you just have the flat board and stringy things tied to those knobs? just carpentry fetishism or does it actually contribute to the sound in a lectrix guitar

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

Khanstant posted:

do you even need the bit of the guitar at the bottom? couldnt you just have the flat board and stringy things tied to those knobs? just carpentry fetishism or does it actually contribute to the sound in a lectrix guitar

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes, for TONE

Real answer: It's mostly to do with weight distribution to stop the instrument being too neck-heavy, you can easily have no wood behind the bridge though, but you tend to end up with stuff like this;

Which is awesome and super-comfy to play but no-one will ever buy it. Ever.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

White Dog Eggs posted:

Real answer: It's mostly to do with weight distribution to stop the instrument being too neck-heavy, you can easily have no wood behind the bridge though, but you tend to end up with stuff like this;

Except Henry Kaiser. Or did you mean people who can play guitar?

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

White Dog Eggs posted:

My guitar teacher in college had one of those, he was the biggest tool on god's green earth and refused to let me work on anything but Pat Metheny songs. gently caress him and Patty boy forever.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Except Henry Kaiser. Or did you mean people who can play guitar?

:iceburn:

HollisBrown posted:

My guitar teacher in college had one of those, he was the biggest tool on god's green earth and refused to let me work on anything but Pat Metheny songs. gently caress him and Patty boy forever.

I did some minor work on one (replaced a bent pot) and they are awesomely comfy to play, but the owner was...... Odd. Have I ever said about the guy who owned a small studio who I sold two guitars to and the fucker hit the neck, body and strings with a tuning fork to test "the harmonic tonal response" then spent 20 minutes playing "wish you were here" badly whilst I awkwardly waited to get paid? It was his.

I could never work out why a sound engineer would need someone to change a pot for him either.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

White Dog Eggs posted:

:iceburn:

I did some minor work on one (replaced a bent pot) and they are awesomely comfy to play, but the owner was...... Odd. Have I ever said about the guy who owned a small studio who I sold two guitars to and the fucker hit the neck, body and strings with a tuning fork to test "the harmonic tonal response" then spent 20 minutes playing "wish you were here" badly whilst I awkwardly waited to get paid? It was his.

I could never work out why a sound engineer would need someone to change a pot for him either.

if someone was coming to see a guitar and wanted to hit the thing with a piece of loving metal they would be very quickly shown out while also being yelled at for HITTING A GUITAR WITH A PIECE OF METAL

BigHustle
Oct 19, 2005

Fast and Bulbous

White Dog Eggs posted:

The heater in my workshop killed itself earlier, I had to bring all the wood into the the warm to stop the frost getting anything.

This is the spare room;

The one on the right in the clamps is mine.

Speaking of, here's some build photos of the frying pan tenor.

This is the donor pan next to the frying pan 6 string that WDE built a while ago.

The mahogany wardrobe door that has been chopped up and glued together to become the neck.

The purpleheart fretboard, which I've been told will end up a much more vibrant shade of purple once it's been sanded and finished.

The rough cut of the top of the guitar.

The rough cut on the pan, with the ruler showing where the neck will be.

The chrome rail that will become the pickups.

The rough sketch of the proposed tremolo system, made from the tailpiece of the Rom Paul mentioned earlier in the thread, a section of a cheese grater, and a BBQ fork handle for the trem arm.

As far as specs go:
  • 22 3/4" scale
  • Bolt on neck with a width of 1 1/2" to 1 3/4", 12" radius and Vintage Jumbo frets
  • Hand-made lipstick pickups (4k in the neck, 6-7k in the bridge) wired with a switchable filter system to make a "Wish You Were Here" AM Radio tone when engaged.
  • 1 meg volume pots, no tone controls. poo poo, I may forget the volume controls altogether and run the poo poo at full 100% of the time.
  • Switches used will be whatever crazy poo poo is lying around
  • Headstock will be 2x2, shape is undetermined at this point.

WDE, you have anything to add that I forgot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Khanstant posted:

Anything with electrics you can make it whatever shape you want. I used to play with a guy who turned aome aluminium shelving brackets into a lap steel with a built-in speaker. He'd turn the amp up full and the whole thing would instantly start feeding back and vibrating like crazy.

He also made an electric upright bass from a wardrobe door and various lamp fittings, amongst other things. Lovely guy and brilliant musician but total lunatic; had a PA wired into his living room ceiling and then his sofa cushions lifted up to reveal dozens of pedals in an old moog style patch bay. Lived on cold tea and frozen white bread covered in peanut butter and banana chunks, he claimed the taste and texture was identical to expensive french pastries. "OK Peter" I said, "But why were you eating frozen bread in the first place to find this out?" Shine on, you crazy crazy man.

• Locked thread