Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

katlington posted:

Who does that guy know? That's very impressive, I am jealous.
I got $10 that says the police screwed up in some incredibly major/stupid way and the OSBI called them all retards and told them to gently caress off and pray this particular redneck doesn't sue the poo poo out of them. Which would explain the immediate "no-charges, all our fault, please nobody ever talk about this to the press" attitude the locals seem to have adopted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

SinistralRifleman posted:

For a forum that concerns itself with being culturally aware, you show little regard for being aware of the reasons behind why police are responding the way they are today. No doubt that video of the Flagstaff officer will be shown to another generation of police officers as a training tool (I notice you chose not to address that one).

Dinkheller is cited because it's one of the few fully documented on video. Police deaths at the hands of criminals used to be more common. Now traffic accidents are the most common cause of death, followed by responding to domestic violence situations,. Society has to decide what it actually wants from the police. If you expect them to be proactive and deal with criminals, it is unlikely they will actually do that job or be able to without certain immunities. If you want them to be held accountable the same as average citizens, they they have to be given the option to opt out and say "this isn't worth the risk". I don't think the public would like that in the end unless they were also empowered to defend themselves more across the country: but the people here are largely against that as well.

Neither article referenced 3 gun competition so I assume you're referencing it because I shoot 3 gun myself. Not sure where or if you shoot 3 gun, but most aren't scenario based and are simply solving technical shooting problems under stress. If I had a choice between the NYPD that shoots and hits multiple innocent bystanders because of lack of training and practice and police that consistently hit what they're aiming at, I'll pick the latter.

You could structure the way you live to avoid confrontations or minimize them (same as police using defensive tactics)
Or you could move to a safer area (same as just telling the police to quit if they feel unsafe) but that may not be economically viable for you (or for individual officers)

It's like the entire justice system is not at all run like a racket.

Police respond badly to dangerous situations because they're scared?! I had no idea that being scared for their lives resulted in civil forfeiture

Way to completely handwave the massive systemic corruption. Makes total sense to pretend that it has no effect on the civilian body count.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I got $10 that says the police screwed up in some incredibly major/stupid way and the OSBI called them all retards and told them to gently caress off and pray this particular redneck doesn't sue the poo poo out of them. Which would explain the immediate "no-charges, all our fault, please nobody ever talk about this to the press" attitude the locals seem to have adopted.

This reminds me of the Jose Guerena shooting. Except there the police killed a man for merely having a rifle in his hands.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jose_Guerena_shooting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4LzwZV6hFQ

Or the police in Utah shooting a man for brandishing a golf club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFEHlkr0lHs

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

The shots were heard by Secret Service personnel [outside of Biden's house], who saw the vehicle drive past the home at a high rate of speed and flee the scene.

The Secret Service said about 30 minutes later, an individual in a vehicle tried to pass a county police officer securing the outer perimeter of the area. That person was arrested for resisting arrest and was scheduled to be questioned regarding the shooting incident. County Police Sgt. Jacob Andrews said it appears the man was not involved in the shooting
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/secret-service-shots-fired-outside-bidens-delaware-home/ar-AA8jAS7?ocid=iehp

There was probably more going on there but I just loving love that phrase.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Harik posted:

This is going to be a pretty massive change for US police forces.

It remains to be seen how well the state-laws work for the worst-offending departments, but this is going to be a massive change - especially for minorities.

This seems like a huge deal that got lost on the last page.

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Folks seem to forget arrest in these instances also cover detaining too. Resist lawful detainment would result in a resist arrest charges in most places.

KernelSlanders
May 27, 2013

Rogue operating systems on occasion spread lies and rumors about me.

Untagged posted:

Folks seem to forget arrest in these instances also cover detaining too. Resist lawful detainment would result in a resist arrest charges in most places.

They also seem to cover guessing wrong in a Schrodinger's detainment situation.

Alastor_the_Stylish
Jul 25, 2006

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

"Am I being detained?"

"..."

"Okay since I'm not being affirmatively detained I'll go about my business."

"Get on the ground! Stop resisting!"

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Rent-A-Cop posted:

It sounds like the guy was swatted by someone else. The cops probably didn't identify themselves or verify the call at all.

bad news bareback
Jan 16, 2009

Hands up, still gets shot.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2015/01/video-shows-nj-cops-gunned-down-unarmed-black-man-as-he-tried-to-surrender-during-traffic-stop/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

He failed to follow a direct order from law enforcement, shouldn't have happened but he should have been listening closer.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

He failed to follow a direct order from law enforcement, shouldn't have happened but he should have been listening closer.

Yes, he failed to follow the direct orders to get out of the car and also stop moving.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Trabisnikof posted:

That's a sin that should, at worst, get you roughed up on your way to a squad car. Not executed. This isn't Stalin's soviet state and people are still innocent until proven guilty.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Trabisnikof posted:

I bet he was wearing some slutty clothing too.

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids

Trabisnikof posted:

You should head on back to the USA Today comment section where you belong.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's a sin that should, at worst, get you roughed up on your way to a squad car. Not executed. This isn't Stalin's soviet state and people are still innocent until proven guilty.

True, bad sadly people force police into having tense encounters with them. At the end of the day, until these communities of resistance stop escalating, the tension and unfortunate situations, like this one, will keep occurring.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
What happened to Eric Garner was tragic, but ultimately his own fault for resisting arrest.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Trabisnikof posted:

True, bad sadly people force police into having tense encounters with them. At the end of the day, until these communities of resistance stop escalating, the tension and unfortunate situations, like this one, will keep occurring.

Which part of this situation do you consider so "tense" that it required the driver to be shot to death?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I don't think Trabisnikof is being serious.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

Trabisnikof posted:

Maybe police departments should stop hiring clinical paranoiacs.

If the encounters were as tense as the police claims, people would be pulling guns on the police every other traffic stop.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Wasn't the guy being told to not move and to get down at the same time didn't help. Either way just because someone is confused and has their hands up doesn't mean you should shoot them.

What's the over/under on the cops getting paid leave and nothing happens to them?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If a cop gets so wound up interacting with a peaceful member of the public they're incompetent and should be fired.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Ringo Star Get posted:

Wasn't the guy being told to not move and to get down at the same time didn't help. Either way just because someone is confused and has their hands up doesn't mean you should shoot them.

What's the over/under on the cops getting paid leave and nothing happens to them?

Over under requires you to provide some sort of benchmark for people to declare whether they believe something will be over it or under it.

Such as: What's the over/under on the patriots score this football game? 14. I bet they will go over that.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Dr Pepper posted:

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I am being serious when I say that police reform is hosed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Trolled into defending people who were shot to death unjustly, gently caress! :mad:

Edit: Thank god though, I run into too many people who believe that completely without irony.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I just assume that any lovely opinion spoken in D&D is held in earnest and I'm not wrong nearly as often as I'd like to be.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Zeitgueist posted:

I just assume that any lovely opinion spoken in D&D is held in earnest and I'm not wrong nearly as often as I'd like to be.

Don't worry, I can import lovely opinions to help stoke the fires too:

quote:

Here's the video, for those who haven't seen.
Having watched it, I can understand why the police officer felt his life were endangered enough to fire his weapon.
Was he justified in doing so? That's up to the grand jury that will presumably hear this case. But from what I've seen and read:
1) The officer who fired had arrested Reid in the past, and presumably recognized him. And that Reid had, thirteen years ago, been sent to jail for shooting at police officers, something which the officer was presumably aware of as he knew him personally. So the officer was aware that he had a history of violence against police.
2) The officer saw a weapon in the glove compartment, and reached into the car to pull it out. That was visible from the video. So it was established that there was at least one, presumably illegal (since Reid or the driver never stopped to mention that he had a license) firearm in the car.
3) Reid apparently disregarded the officer's orders to keep his hands where they could be seen, and apparently continually made motions like he was reaching for something. I say this because for nearly a full minute, the only interactions between Reid and the officer were the officer repeatedly telling him to stay still, and keep his hands in sight. I have a hard time imagining the officer repeating this order 10 times if Reid had simply put his hands on the dash and stopped moving completely.
4) Reid then got out of the car, on the same side as the officer was, against orders. When Reid exited the car, he was within three feet of the officer, and close enough to rush him if he decided to. I completely understand why the officer felt threatened by Reid as he exited the car.
5) From the video, it seems like the officer tried to prevent Reid from exiting the vehicle by pushing with all his weight against the door to keep it closed. If so, that's a pretty clear indication for Reid to not leave the vehicle. However, I've had other people suggest that the officer was trying to pull the door open. Now, every single verbal order to Reid was to stay in the car; however, if the officer were trying to pull the door open, it's somewhat more understandable for him to exit the vehicle.
All of this, to me, adds up to a very understandable reason as to why Reid ended up shot. But I'm not on the jury, and they'll presumably have access to far more information than I do right now. My point is that, to me, this is clearly not an open-and-shut case of "officer shoots unarmed man without cause."

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Also, to the surprise of no-one, the federal case against Darren Wilson is going to be closed http://www.cbsnews.com/news/report-ferguson-police-officer-darren-wilson-close-to-being-cleared-by-justice-department-in-michael/

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Intel&Sebastian posted:

That's a sin that should, at worst, get you roughed up on your way to a squad car. Not executed. This isn't Stalin's soviet state unless you're a black man, then it's pretty much fair game on your rear end for even existing.

I'm still looking for the Black Panther "break out the guns, we are at war with these people" response.

On the other hand, here's this: Man arrested after tackling shopper carrying gun

White guy sees black guy with gun and plays hero. Turns out black guy's packing legally. White guy gets a charge, goes to jail.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
We really need to learn how to mind our own loving business in this country.

Edit: Love the comments on this one

quote:

I see a lot of people on here commenting about the tackler 'trying to be a hero', as if this was just some mistake or misunderstanding.

Let's get something clear here, this was not a mistake.

This was an anti-gun activist doing exactly what the anti-gun pages (mdaa, csgv, etfgs, etc) are telling their members to do:
report anyone with a gun as a hostile violent attack in action.
attack anyone with a gun in the name of defense.
call in the swat team for a potential live shooting event every time they see someone with a gun.
make a big commotion which will hopefully result in the evil gun carrier being arrested, hurt, killed, or at the very least seriously inconvenienced.

This is a sick and violent man following a sick and violent agenda, not some confused hero. He should be in jail, and he should be sued until it hurts.

Odd how this doesn't happen to your average open carry activist, wonder what the difference is...

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jan 22, 2015

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Have the NYPD gone back up to pre-disaster levels of bothering people for petty stuff, or not?

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

Trabisnikof posted:

Right, if people don't wanna get shot they should just stop being black it's that simple.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Classtoise posted:

Right, if people don't wanna get shot they should just stop being black it's that simple.

No no no, it's over, the battle is done.

Dr Pepper posted:

Trabisnikof posted:

Winner, winner chicken dinner.

I am being serious when I say that police reform is hosed.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Have the NYPD gone back up to pre-disaster levels of bothering people for petty stuff, or not?

yep.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Oh, huh. Does that mean the mayor's office offered them something?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, huh. Does that mean the mayor's office offered them something?

They stopped giving a poo poo about wanting de Blasio to apologize when it became clear that Lynch was using the theatrics as a smokescreen for his inability to get them paid.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

They stopped giving a poo poo about wanting de Blasio to apologize when it became clear that Lynch was using the theatrics as a smokescreen for his inability to get them paid.
Also, they can read opinion polls just as well as the rest of us.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

RareAcumen posted:

No no no, it's over, the battle is done.

My defense remains Poe's Law being a hell of a thing v:v:

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

From the article: "Hillsborough deputies arrested a man who spotted someone with a gun, followed him into a Walmart, and tackled him."

What's the deal with WalMart lately anyway? I'm thinking this is yet another reason to stay away.

Also from the article: "The problem? The man with the gun had a concealed weapons permit, and the man who rushed him didn't call 911 or alert store security."

Unfortunately, that's not a problem. If he'd a called the cops, there'd be dead guys. Fortunate inept citizens arrest, I guess. Yay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
If you ever think you see a person who might be armed anywhere at all, even in a crowded area, grab the nearest RPG and launch it at them immediately screaming "Duty of care to protect motherfucker!".

Sure there might be some collateral damage or casualties but you'll be able to rest easy knowing you've undoubtedly just stopped the next horrific shooting massacre. You'll also be lauded as a hero and invited to wave to the adoring masses from the lead float in every local parade, so what are you waiting for?

• Locked thread