Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Slavvy posted:

For the cam chain you'll need a cam chain breaker/riveter. They are't expensive. You'll also need to grind/lap the valves into the head. People recommend you should get a professional shop to grind them but, honestly, lapping them in by hand will work just as well for what you're doing and is very cheap and easy (just time-consuming).

On the other hand, a shop can grind your head and your valves for a relatively reasonable combined fee.

On the gripping hand, on a liquid cooled engine I would definitely say get the head skimmed, but on an oil boiler it's not as critical.You'll also need to reset your clearances. It's also worth swapping out your valve guides if they're worn but I don't know what sort of setup your engine has WRT this. Ask for some prices from an engine shop and decide if it's worth it for you.

Are you cracking the cases? If you are it's worth checking the gearbox bearings and poo poo because something will break if you've got a spanking new engine making an assload of power and a tired old gearbox. Especially if you go MS.

Also I need this to happen because retarded gigantic powerhouses are awesome.

Great info-- thanks!

Bottom end has 70k on it so I think it might be worth looking at, but I've never torn down an engine to replace internals, only gaskets. Sounds like something best left to a machine shop altogether, no? Should I find a GSXR1100 motor and swap over my 1216 pistons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I don't know what GSXR gearing and stuff are like, I've somehow always dodged working on/seeing one up close/hearing people talk about them. But they're six speed AFAIK, if they just bolt in my gut would tell me to do that because it's already a powerful engine with loads of grunt, gearing for suitable for a bike of a similar size (which you can skew with sprocketry) and you're making it even bigger. Also most of them here are considered too big and heavy to be 'serious' sportsbikes so they're largely owned by Old Men and babied around. If it's like that over there, getting a mint engine should be a piece of cake. The bikes themselves also have next to no resale value.

The engines also look pretty swish.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

nitrogen posted:

It's a fun project, sure, but since i'm new to a lot of this, it makes me a bit nervous too. Since you are/seem more experienced, the craigslist special bikes are probably more up your alley. I'm certainly learning a whole lot, though. I'm glad all this is happening during the winter where its been pretty cold and not conducive to riding at least.

I will probably buy a more modern bike in a few months, or later this year, and keep the GS500 as a post apocalyptic fun around town cheap bike to mess with. (probably something more cruserish or touring-ish that is more comfortable to ride for long distances)

You are kinda/sorta in my area. If you need assistance, just let me know.

Skreemer
Jan 28, 2006
I like blue.

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Great info-- thanks!

Bottom end has 70k on it so I think it might be worth looking at, but I've never torn down an engine to replace internals, only gaskets. Sounds like something best left to a machine shop altogether, no? Should I find a GSXR1100 motor and swap over my 1216 pistons?

There is one guy that goes nuts over the Bandits. Take a look at Dale Walker's HoleShot: http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/
He'll get you parts that will make a reliable and powerful Bandit.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I don't know what GSXR gearing and stuff are like, I've somehow always dodged working on/seeing one up close/hearing people talk about them. But they're six speed AFAIK, if they just bolt in my gut would tell me to do that because it's already a powerful engine with loads of grunt, gearing for suitable for a bike of a similar size (which you can skew with sprocketry) and you're making it even bigger. Also most of them here are considered too big and heavy to be 'serious' sportsbikes so they're largely owned by Old Men and babied around. If it's like that over there, getting a mint engine should be a piece of cake. The bikes themselves also have next to no resale value.

The engines also look pretty swish.

Yeah, they're a direct swap, as are the internals. If I am to do this project, I'd need to swap in a GSXR 1100 clutch basket, so I figure I might as well just get an entire GSXR1100 engine, rebuild it on a stand, and bench test everything. :)

Skreemer posted:

There is one guy that goes nuts over the Bandits. Take a look at Dale Walker's HoleShot: http://www.holeshot.com/bandit/
He'll get you parts that will make a reliable and powerful Bandit.

My Bandit already has every part he carries. My bike is a Dale Walker Special. :shobon: That's the reason I want to swap over everything to a new engine.

I'm just sick of carbs and haven't found any newer bikes I've really found interesting so I'd rather modernize my oil burner and learn something fun in the process, haha.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jan 14, 2015

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Yeah, they're a direct swap, as are the internals. If I am to do this project, I'd need to swap in a GSXR 1100 clutch basket, so I figure I might as well just get an entire GSXR1100 engine, rebuild it on a stand, and bench test everything. :)

My Bandit already has every part he carries. My bike is a Dale Walker Special. :shobon: That's the reason I want to swap over everything to a new engine.

I'm just sick of carbs and haven't found any newer bikes I've really found interesting so I'd rather modernize my oil burner and learn something fun in the process, haha.

Could you just get B1250 throttle bodies and ECU?

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
1973 Honda CL350 - about 3900 miles on it. The bike has performed almost flawlessly over the last 3000 miles I put on it. Just the other day I noticed some hesitation between 7-9000 rpm. It's like the motor is struggling to keep accelerating, like it's not getting enough gas or air. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Great info-- thanks!

How much money have you spent on your bandit?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Astonishing Wang posted:

1973 Honda CL350 - about 3900 miles on it. The bike has performed almost flawlessly over the last 3000 miles I put on it. Just the other day I noticed some hesitation between 7-9000 rpm. It's like the motor is struggling to keep accelerating, like it's not getting enough gas or air. What's the best way to troubleshoot this?

Astonishing Wang posted:

Easiest thing to do right off the bat is check your spark plugs. How's the electrode look? Is it nearly gone? What color are they? They should be light grey. If they are too white your carbs are adjusted to lean. Are they black? Your carbs are adjusted to rich.

Spark plugs look fine, take your carbs apart. Check the Jets. Are they clogged up? Are all the proper jet working as intended? How's the float chamber?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

n8r posted:

How much money have you spent on your bandit?

$1200 for the bike, $800 for carb parts (full rebuild) + gas analysis tune, $400 on tires, few hundred on Brembo MC and brakes. Not much by any means, honestly.

edti: I've spent an ungodly amount replacing wear and tear items on my car with my own labor, so motorcycles are a hilariously cheap joke in comparison

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Could you just get B1250 throttle bodies and ECU?

I don't believe they fit.

article online posted:

Tighter spacing between the two pairs of cylinders makes the cylinder head and the throttle bodies 20mm narrower...

People online are saying that the K3 GSXR600 throttle bodies are almost a direct swap. The guy in the previous post's links ended up using a Hayabusa ECU and tapping the valve cover for a cam position sensor and using the gear position sensor to assist in the map, but he ended up having enrichment issues from his last posts before disappearing into oblivion. I think a small DIY MS box would solve a lot of issues that arise when mixing and matching parts like this, including using the spark signal to control fueling as well.

edit: apparently gsx650 bodies fit as well and match Katana 750 motors, which are pretty drat near identical to B12s. Hmmm...

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Jan 15, 2015

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Having some starting issues with my ex250, again.

I can get the bike to crank but it wont run for longer than half a second before it dies and was running fine the day before, the air filter is still pretty clean from when I put in a k&n filter in there about 6,000 miles ago.

I'm planning on ripping the carbs out and giving them a good cleaning. Is there anything else that I should be looking for?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

What does it do, sort of choke and die? Just completely turn off the way it does when you try to ride off with the kickstand down? What happens when you get on the throttle? What happens when you crank it with the throttle open?

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

M42 posted:

What does it do, sort of choke and die? Just completely turn off the way it does when you try to ride off with the kickstand down? What happens when you get on the throttle? What happens when you crank it with the throttle open?

Yup, just chokes and dies. If I get on the throttle I can usually get it to rev up a little bit but it runs very rough and will just choke and die again. It doesn't cut like if you turn off the kill switch or drop the kickstand, choking is the best way to describe it I think.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Does it smell rich? You may be dumping a ton of fuel into your engine. I'd check vacuum lines, choke seals, and petcock before tearing into the carbs. Even if your float needles prevent excess fuel from entering the engine, this can be worsened by any vacuum issues up the line.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

I think I just found out. the spark plug for the left cylinder is broken, now I gotta find out how to get the broken piece out of the cylinder.
Any ideas?

http://imgur.com/ltFYnxe

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ohhh, poo poo. Yeah you had a dead cylinder like me then. What brand plug is that? Champion?

I'm honestly not sure how to get it out. Try making a thread on ninjette.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

If they're Champions, it likely melted off. I don't think there's anything you can do. Same thing happened to my friend, just got a new (non-champion) plug and kept riding.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

drat. That's lovely. I'd stick one of those magnets on a bendy stick down the spark plug hole to pick it up. There's a chance it may have escaped already but I'd definitely try and see if it's willing to come out.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

If they're Champions, it likely melted off. I don't think there's anything you can do. Same thing happened to my friend, just got a new (non-champion) plug and kept riding.

This is what I'm betting on.

but like Bugdrvr said, can't hurt to stick a mag on a stick in there. set the piston all the way at the bottom and you might be able to sweep the side of the bore.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

And if there's anything small and nonmagnetic inside, you might be able to fish it out with a blob of sticky grease on the end of a stick. I've never tried that in a cylinder before, but I've used it in other situations and it works okay.

Debugario
Jun 11, 2009

Thank you all for the ideas, I will try the magnet trick. And they were not champions, I got the NGK plugs that the wiki recommends.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

High five freak-ninja-sparkplug-accident buddy :(

i speak english!
Sep 20, 2004
I learn from the book! How are you?
Ninjette question:

My front tire is from 2012, and has maybe 4k miles on it (3k from me, 1k from previous owner). It is the stock IRC tire. There is plenty of tread left, but the sidewall is cracking, as shown in the pictures below.

Is this normal or dangerous? My previous front tire was also IRC, from 2009, had 6K+ miles, but I do not remember seeing anything similar.

for reference, here is the rest of the bike

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Normal for an old tire, yes it's somewhat dangerous, and if there's one thing you don't want to cheap out on it's your tires. I say replace it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Change that poo poo.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

So out of curiosity, what causes a tire that's at most 3 years old to have that much cracking?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

So out of curiosity, what causes a tire that's at most 3 years old to have that much cracking?

Three years, it sounds. Also, what's the date code? Time on a shelf still counts.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Heat, sunlight, too low of a PSI allowing too much flex? Could be a lot of things. Front tires are ~$100 investment into making sure you don't die owing to something preventable.

i speak english!
Sep 20, 2004
I learn from the book! How are you?
Yeah, I'll change it. Thanks goons!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've noticed that tyres seem to last x amount of time, at most, regardless of how little you ride. Either they get worn out because you ride all the time, or they turn really hard and gripless and cracked despite having loads of tread. So they're short-lived irrespective of how you treat them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Climate, age, manufacturing. I once saw some Dunlops that were cracked that bad with like a 2 year old manufacture date.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Some of the race tires crack like that from the factory. No idea.

The best tire I've seen recently was a wonderful gixxer750 from like, 89 or so, with tires with a 3 digit date code (Mid-95) - they felt like tupperware when you ran your finger across them.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Gs500 was great after my carb job for about a day. Now only one cylinder is firing. Spark plug is somewhat wet. Don't know what the gently caress I could have done to it, but I'm going to pull the carbs off again and look.

Unless you guys have any ideas of something to look for, I'm going to take it to a shop tomorrow.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I have no idea what just happened to my bike but it freaked me the gently caress out. doing about 40, started feeling vibration like I was going over that stepped concrete (the stuff you get on the approaches to some junctions to wake drivers up - imagine corduroy with a pitch of about an inch), and had to increase throttle to maintain speed. My first thought was "oh gently caress, engine's dying" and next twenty thoughts were "oh gently caress this is the worst possible place for it to happen" - it was at the lowest point of a tunnel with no hard shoulder and blind bends.

Engine death worries were assuaged when I changed down as i slowed - the engine responded to a blip with the clutch in perfectly normally, and the vibrations slowed as I did rather than with revs - however I was also slowing much harder than I'd expect with the clutch in on the flat, and the feeling was definitely that my front brakes were slightly on.

As suddenly as it started it stopped, and I finished my journey without any further problems.

Getting it on the stands once I got home and I can't see anything weird at all. Back wheel spins normally, no slack, no tight points in the chain (rear pads were replaced about 50 miles ago and aren't fully bedded in yet FWIW). Front wheel has a very slight tightness suggesting one of the calipers is partially seized, a problem that I've had before but which normally makes itself known rather earlier with difficulty pushing the bike around, and normally is a lot tighter than that on the stand too.

There's no scoring on the disks suggesting something had stuck in them, pad wear is even all round (the seized caliper problem normally - obviously - leaves one pad more worn), buttons are all fine, head bearings and forks all feel fine too. Didn't have time before the sun set to investigate further.

My impression is that the vibration was too high-frequency to be brake-related but I could be entirely wrong on that. The one thing I can't remember is if I had touched the brakes before it happened - my guess is not because the road was quiet and I normally engine-brake on the slope down in the tunnel. I *had* touched the brakes when I pulled away after this, and I think maybe they needed a bit more of a pull than normal but I could just be being oversensitive.

Probably going to pop the bike to the garage to have them check things over but if any of you have felt something similar in the past and can put my mind at rest it'd be appreciated.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I was lubing my chain and noticed a small rubber ring coming out of the master link. I pulled it out because it was obviously torn, but I've never seen this before. The chain only has a couple thousand on it. Don't recall what kind of chain it is, bought and installed at shop. I lube and clean every couple hundred miles. Is this a big problem? The chain feels fine.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Schroeder91 posted:

I was lubing my chain and noticed a small rubber ring coming out of the master link. I pulled it out because it was obviously torn, but I've never seen this before. The chain only has a couple thousand on it. Don't recall what kind of chain it is, bought and installed at shop. I lube and clean every couple hundred miles. Is this a big problem? The chain feels fine.

The lubricant in that link will leak out, and it will begin to tighten up now. Hopefully others will weigh in, but I think you'll probably need to replace the chain soon. I don't have any idea why that would happen so soon.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
If none of the other O rings are bad, just replace the master link with another O ring type.
I'd inspect the master link pins for wear, high amounts: replace the entire chain.

Theres O ring type, and X ring too.

E: Never hurts to carry a spare masterlink either, I've broken a couple retainer clips.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 18, 2015

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

The first time that happened to me was when I was changing a clutch cable. I was wondering where the hell the pile of half and quarter o-rings came from.
I'd definitely try a new master if the chain is newer.

Got a question. 40k too many miles for an otherwise squeaky clean R6?
I am newly into buying an '05 R6 due to it's ugly roundy old school looks coupled with modern underpinnings. There are plenty out there, it's just that most are shagged and/or have a bit of mileage on them.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

40k miles isn't too many at all for a modern(ish) bike. My ride is an '97 zx6e and I've just ticked over 140,000kms (89,000 miles) and it isn't even missing a beat. Runs perfectly. As long as they're looked after they'll go forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
stick it in second gear. if it jumps, run the gently caress away.
If it has maintenance history, don't worry too much. no history? run the gently caress away.