Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
If you have Windows install CDs, you could set up Bootcamp with WinXP/7/8 and then treat it as a Windows machine for game playing. It's how I run WitP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

At one point I tried to get WitP working in Wine on my Macbook, but couldn't for the life of me get the wrapper/game to recognize the registry key. It's probably possible, I just doubt anyone's ever really 1.) done it and 2.) written a guide for doing it, since the playerbase for WitP is pretty small.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Things I have learned playing Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm:

1) Artillery really is the queen of battles. And the king. And the knight. They'll score more kills than any other individual branch of your army, with the possible exception of gunships.

2) The truism "attack is easier than defense" is less true when there's a VP position you MUST attack held by an entire battalion of Soviet armor.

3) Hind-Ps are loving BALLERINAS WHO DODGE EVERY MISSILE YOU CHUCK AT THEM I'VE SHOT AT YOU A HUNDRED TIMES JUST CRASH AND STOP ROLLING AROUND AND BLOWING UP MY TANKS AND SMOKING YOUR GODDAMN CUBAN CIGARS IN THE COCKPIT AAAAAAAA :flame:

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Davin Valkri posted:

3) Hind-Ps are loving BALLERINAS WHO DODGE EVERY MISSILE YOU CHUCK AT THEM I'VE SHOT AT YOU A HUNDRED TIMES JUST CRASH AND STOP ROLLING AROUND AND BLOWING UP MY TANKS AND SMOKING YOUR GODDAMN CUBAN CIGARS IN THE COCKPIT AAAAAAAA :flame:
Yeah I really don't get this. I can understand a chopper doing pop ups or flying obscured below the treeline or terrain can be a bitch to shoot down, but these things can just fly effortlessly clear above a town or field, evidently in line of sight of SAMs (since they're being fired at them) and they can just eat a dozen of them to no effect. I've had Hinds just fly right up to Stingers and kill them because apparently all the missiles miss.

When I do kill them it's rarely a SAM. Tank machine guns and autocannons seem marginally more effective, which feels very wrong - why is a dinky little machine gun better at shooting down big armored choppers than a Stinger or Javelin? I have to wonder if it's actually bugged, because I can't see what the rationale for this would be.

Elukka fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jan 18, 2015

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Davin Valkri posted:

Yeah. When I see a hind I quit.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

I could have told you number 3 from years spent playing Steel Panthers: MBT campaigns as the Mujahadeen. Fuuuuuuuck Soviet gunships.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
So I've got some Fulmars now, and I'm wondering what the gently caress do do with them. Initially I thought that they could be used for low level bombing of merchant convoys but their pilots come with no Low Nav skill, even the ones stationed on carriers. Is this because they use the strafe skill instead? (which they do have).

Also what do I do with the fragments of squadrons from sunk ships, I can't withdraw them for some reason, only disband them, which it tells me will lose me the pilots and planes. Since these are highly experienced carrier pilots, loosing them is the last thing I want to do. Is the only way to save them wait until the parent group arrives back on the map, then transport them back and recombine them once they are in the same base?

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Pharnakes posted:

So I've got some Fulmars now, and I'm wondering what the gently caress do do with them. Initially I thought that they could be used for low level bombing of merchant convoys but their pilots come with no Low Nav skill, even the ones stationed on carriers. Is this because they use the strafe skill instead? (which they do have).

Also what do I do with the fragments of squadrons from sunk ships, I can't withdraw them for some reason, only disband them, which it tells me will lose me the pilots and planes. Since these are highly experienced carrier pilots, loosing them is the last thing I want to do. Is the only way to save them wait until the parent group arrives back on the map, then transport them back and recombine them once they are in the same base?

Move the Squadron to within command range of a friendly HQ (basically, move them near a major base). Then you can disband them while keeping the planes/pilots.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

Check and see if you can convert to Sea Hurricanes, too.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Davin Valkri posted:

Hind-Ps are not human as you and I understand the term. Created by soviet engineers using ancient, evil magic, they can not be killed by conventional means. Missiles can't hit them as they are outside reality as perceived by us. Things that do work: Gepards using silver bullets, tank MGs firing special ammunition stamped with the sign of the cross and blessed by a priest. Rumor has it that you can also try to arrange your forces behind a river as Hind-Ps can't cross running water. Under no circumstances engage Hind-Ps in full moonlight since they are strongest then.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Played Eyes Ears and Teeth and now I feel better. How's it feel, Hind-Ps, when my Fangs wipe out everything you were supposed to protect?! :commissar:

I wonder how they balanced the lethality or "chance-to-hit" of the units. It seemed like my Fangs were the only thing that could actually kill anything reliably. I know, artillery is the god-king of battles, but why would I have 6 troops of ATGM armed cavalry and 2 squadrons of gunships if they can barely hit anything with them?

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man

Davin Valkri posted:

Things I have learned playing Flashpoint Campaigns Red Storm:

1) Artillery really is the queen of battles. And the king. And the knight.

Artillery is referred to as the King of Battle, Infantry is the Queen of Battle.
Something that always sounded weird coming out of my mouth when I ran in cadence in my infantry platoon. "Queen of battle follow me"

I just got Flashpoint myself. When you are on the defense are you supposed to sort of set up behind where you might first assume your front is? A number of the scenarios I'm playing in I'm woefully out numbered until my reinforcements arrive.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Obstacle2 posted:

Artillery is referred to as the King of Battle, Infantry is the Queen of Battle.
Something that always sounded weird coming out of my mouth when I ran in cadence in my infantry platoon. "Queen of battle follow me"

I just got Flashpoint myself. When you are on the defense are you supposed to sort of set up behind where you might first assume your front is? A number of the scenarios I'm playing in I'm woefully out numbered until my reinforcements arrive.

Yeah, but when I play, infantry is pretty much only good for dying painfully. Probably in a place where it holds up the enemy from moving into an objective hex, and where they can be blasted by the artillery, but they don't actually score any kills or do a lot of anything. If they ever score kills, it's usually their attached vehicles that do any damage.

And I'm pretty sure you aren't actually supposed to set up right next to the "front line" as NATO.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Is this overkill?

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Obstacle2 posted:

What's the Pawns of the Battlefield then? :v:

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

What's the Pawns of the Battlefield then? :v:

Duh, civilians of course.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is this overkill?

I think I just had 200 B-24s :captainpop:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Something with as much mobility and firepower of the "Queen" would have to be something else than mere infantry. They certainly got the utility, but not the firepower or mobility required to be the "Queen".

If we accept that main battle tanks are the Rooks/Chariots of the board, and Knights are transport helicopters like the Blackhawk, Bishops are some form of Infantry Fighting Vehicle... combining all of that into one piece would have to be one hell of a unit.

It must have the power of flight, of speed and mobility, combined with awesome firepower and on top of that *utility* matching all of the above.

Hmmm

Yes, the Queen of the Battlefield is quite obvious when I put up the requirements like that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Top Hats Monthly posted:

Is this overkill?

In HOI 2 terms that would have just caused entire divisions to straight-up evaporate

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
For the hell of it, I've been playing through a generated Spanish Civil War campaign in WinSPWW2 as the Republic, and I'm having a blast. The first mission was really touch-and-go, because I started the same month the Civil War kicked off, so my core force wasn't even an organized military unit, it was a loosely-structured band of armed civilians the game called a 'Multitud'. I had a small unit of WW1-vintage museum-piece tankettes as 'armor support' and four light mortars as an artillery section. Ended up desperately trying to hold this hill in the middle of a wheat field against a battalion-strength Nationalist infantry unit (composed of regular army, of course, because the game is an rear end in a top hat), while my green-as-grass militiamen shattered and ran for cover every time a bullet passed within fifty yards of their location, my mortars dropped shells everywhere except where the enemy was, my tanks consistently missed people standing in the open right next to them, and enemy artillery rained down with pinpoint accuracy on my defensive positions. I have no idea how I won, but I did, barely, with over half my force dead and the majority of my ammunition depleted. On the bright side, the people who lived through are battle-hardened as gently caress.

Mission two went a lot better. I got enough points to upgrade my core forces a bit, replacing the mob of idiots with an organized CNT-FAI militia column, some Tiznaos (the iconic makeshift APCs made out of up-armored civilian cars), and a section of Hotchkiss HMGs. Brought along the tankettes too, because why not? The mission was a Meeting Engagement, which basically means there's three unclaimed victory points in neutral territory in the middle of the map at the start of the mission, and both sides are advancing towards each other to take them. I initially took all three points with no resistance, thanks to the speed of the APCs, and for some reason the AI poured almost all of its resources into pushing the center point. Could have been a repeat of the last mission - but this time I had machine guns, and soldiers with combat experience, and artillery, and fast-moving vehicles. Enfilade fire from a dozen Hotchkiss guns does scary things to massed infantry moving across open ground - after a few turns of that, the enemy mostly stopped trying to advance past the treeline. I couldn't actually dislodge them, their cover was too good and they were doing a good job of keeping me from actually advancing on their positions, but I had them locked down in one place. Then my howitzer batteries dropped a barrage directly on top of their heads, the machine gun batteries scored some lucky hits, and I mass-charged my infantry at them, all in the same turn. Then the guys fleeing all of that ran directly into the fields of fire of the tankettes, tiznaos, and recon troops I'd moved around behind them. :byewhore: I ended up nearly wiping out a reinforced infantry battalion and only sustained 35 casualties.

It's loving beautiful watching a determined enemy advance just melt in an instant when all the elements of a plan come together. It literally went from 'enemy holding their own, could go either way' to 'enemy decisively defeated' in a single turn. It's stuff like this that keeps me coming back to grog games. It took a lot of time to set up, but the feeling of satisfaction I got seeing those dumb bastards make a tactical withdrawal right into my prepared killzone is just not something you can get in any other game genre.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Mister Bates posted:

For the hell of it, I've been playing through a generated Spanish Civil War campaign in WinSPWW2 as the Republic, and I'm having a blast. The first mission was really touch-and-go, because I started the same month the Civil War kicked off, so my core force wasn't even an organized military unit, it was a loosely-structured band of armed civilians the game called a 'Multitud'. I had a small unit of WW1-vintage museum-piece tankettes as 'armor support' and four light mortars as an artillery section. Ended up desperately trying to hold this hill in the middle of a wheat field against a battalion-strength Nationalist infantry unit (composed of regular army, of course, because the game is an rear end in a top hat), while my green-as-grass militiamen shattered and ran for cover every time a bullet passed within fifty yards of their location, my mortars dropped shells everywhere except where the enemy was, my tanks consistently missed people standing in the open right next to them, and enemy artillery rained down with pinpoint accuracy on my defensive positions. I have no idea how I won, but I did, barely, with over half my force dead and the majority of my ammunition depleted. On the bright side, the people who lived through are battle-hardened as gently caress.

Mission two went a lot better. I got enough points to upgrade my core forces a bit, replacing the mob of idiots with an organized CNT-FAI militia column, some Tiznaos (the iconic makeshift APCs made out of up-armored civilian cars), and a section of Hotchkiss HMGs. Brought along the tankettes too, because why not? The mission was a Meeting Engagement, which basically means there's three unclaimed victory points in neutral territory in the middle of the map at the start of the mission, and both sides are advancing towards each other to take them. I initially took all three points with no resistance, thanks to the speed of the APCs, and for some reason the AI poured almost all of its resources into pushing the center point. Could have been a repeat of the last mission - but this time I had machine guns, and soldiers with combat experience, and artillery, and fast-moving vehicles. Enfilade fire from a dozen Hotchkiss guns does scary things to massed infantry moving across open ground - after a few turns of that, the enemy mostly stopped trying to advance past the treeline. I couldn't actually dislodge them, their cover was too good and they were doing a good job of keeping me from actually advancing on their positions, but I had them locked down in one place. Then my howitzer batteries dropped a barrage directly on top of their heads, the machine gun batteries scored some lucky hits, and I mass-charged my infantry at them, all in the same turn. Then the guys fleeing all of that ran directly into the fields of fire of the tankettes, tiznaos, and recon troops I'd moved around behind them. :byewhore: I ended up nearly wiping out a reinforced infantry battalion and only sustained 35 casualties.

It's loving beautiful watching a determined enemy advance just melt in an instant when all the elements of a plan come together. It literally went from 'enemy holding their own, could go either way' to 'enemy decisively defeated' in a single turn. It's stuff like this that keeps me coming back to grog games. It took a lot of time to set up, but the feeling of satisfaction I got seeing those dumb bastards make a tactical withdrawal right into my prepared killzone is just not something you can get in any other game genre.

Whatever happens, we have got
The Maxim gun, and they have not.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Davin Valkri posted:

Yeah, but when I play, infantry is pretty much only good for dying painfully.

I think you're missing the second part of the joke.

"Artillery is the King of Battle, and Infantry is the Queen - and we all know what the King does to the Queen..."

Tomn fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 19, 2015

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I really need to spend more time with WinSPWW2/WinSPMBT.

What did you mean when you said it was a generated campaign? Do those games have procedurally-generated stuff for you to do? I thought all scenarios/campaigns had to be user-created.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Drone posted:

I really need to spend more time with WinSPWW2/WinSPMBT.

What did you mean when you said it was a generated campaign? Do those games have procedurally-generated stuff for you to do? I thought all scenarios/campaigns had to be user-created.

The games have full-featured scenario and campaign editors and fuckloads of premade campaigns and scenarios covering basically every war you can imagine, but they also have randomly generated battles and procedurally generated campaigns. Pick a start and end date, choose the participants in the war, the number of missions you want there to be in the campaign, the number of force-selection points you want to have, etc., and the game will put together a random campaign matching those parameters. You'll be given points to purchase a core force that will be persistent throughout the campaign, who will gain experience and can be upgraded as time goes on. The game's default map selection is even pretty smart about it - if you do a campaign with Republican Spain versus Nationalist Spain during the Spanish Civil War era, it will give you nothing but Spain maps, if you play SPMBT and generate a PLO vs. IDF campaign it will give you maps in places like the West Bank and Gaza (you can also override this and make it put you anywhere you want, if you want to play a campaign in which the USSR is duking it out with the Afghanis in Northern Canada or something). You can pick literally any four nations to be participants in a campaign with no restrictions, too - ever wanted to play Black Hawk Down from the side of the Somalians, you can do that, ever wanted to see what would happen if France, Germany, and Belgium invaded Switzerland, you can do that, ever wanted to see what would happen if Ugandan troops suddenly landed in force on the beaches of Virginia, you can do that.

SPWW2 actually has two campaign generators - there's the default one, and then there's a Historical Campaign Generator, which has you picking a start date, choosing a country, and then the game taking you from your chosen start date all the way to the end of WW2 (or the end of your chosen country's participation in it). This includes the big nations like the UK and Germany and Japan, so you can fight Rommel in the desert or make Operation Market Garden succeed or capture Moscow for the Reich or whatever, but it also includes nations like Yugoslavia and Greece, if you've ever wanted to play a WW2 partisan/guerrilla campaign.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
I've played a ton of Steel Panthers: World at War, but never played much of SP:WWII. What are the main differences?

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
On the subject of WinSPWW2, is there a way to make the combat resolutions go faster while still getting a good degree of info? waiting for the first of 50 t-34s to fire their main gun thrice and their separate machine guns each time gets old.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003
Dang, for all its idiosyncrasies WitP can be a pretty cool game. I restarted my Allied campaign against the AI last week because I'm still learning, so no Zuikaku sinking by heroic dutch Destroyer effort unfortunately, but I think I just pulled off a something much bigger...

Japanese CVs were covering a Canton Island landing for a couple of days, I though there'd be 2 but that turned out too conservative an estimate. Spotted them coming from beyond occupied Baker Island by ways of Catalina, and promptly sortied from Pearl with Saratoga, followed by Lexington, and a 4BB group attached. I figured since it's early February '42, what the hell? I'm playing with 2 day turns and it turned out I got a nice 27 hex distance with my CVs on a point between Baker and Canton, within 5 hex strike range of both islands so I could set my TBD-1s to bombs. I split off my BB force to bombard Baker since they were too slow, and I wanted them to get the hell out of dodge afterward because Japanese Carrier Air :gonk:

Anyway, Sara/Lex covered 18 hexes on the 9th and 10th of Feb, and what were 2 spotted enemy CVs kept bombarding Canton since their invasion was in a bit of a bind - I'd been able to reinforce a month earlier. The turn starting on the 11th was a big throw of the dice: I didn't know what would happen with a fairly even fight between two carrier groups, and the BBs ended up being too slow to even bombard Baker on the first night and disrupt whatever nefarious stuff the AI was cooking up there. So, sunset and closing the final 9 hexes in two swift movement phases:

code:
Weather in hex: Heavy rain

SBD-3 Dauntless sighting report: 7 Japanese ships at 153,143 near Canton Island , Speed unknown 

Morning Air attack on TF, near Canton Island at 153,143

Soryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 5 scrambling)
Hiryu-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 5 scrambling)
Zuikaku-1 with A6M2 Zero (0 airborne, 9 on standby, 5 scrambling)
Oooooops, 3 fleet CVs! Then:

code:
Morning Air attack on TF
	CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 3,  heavy fires
	CV Hiryu
	CV Soryu, Bomb hits 1,  on fire

Afternoon Air attack on TF
	CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 1,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
	CV Soryu, Bomb hits 3,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
	CV Hiryu, Bomb hits 4,  heavy fires,  heavy damage
Haha did I just take out half the KB? Lost the Lex of course, but they never managed to pull of a strike on the Saratoga. I think what really helped me out was getting the bounce on them in the Morning phase when the AI was merrily continuing its ground attacks on Canton Is. I'm pretty sure that took out 1 if not 2 flight decks right there. Midway all over again!

The kicker was the belated arrival of the Bombardment group at Baker the following night. Lexington's air groups had been able to divert to under-siege Canton, and the same thing happened to Japanese CV air at Baker, when:

code:
Night Naval bombardment of Baker Island at 149,136

Japanese aircraft losses
      A6M2 Zero: 24 damaged
      A6M2 Zero: 11 destroyed on ground
      D3A1 Val: 11 damaged
      D3A1 Val: 2 destroyed on ground
      B5N2 Kate: 11 damaged
      B5N2 Kate: 3 destroyed on ground
looool

Intel says I got Soryu. Hope those two other fuckers burn to their keels in the coming turns. Got a combat event that said *MASSIVE DAMAGE FROM AMMO STORAGE EXPLOSION* or something on Zuikaku anyway, and I bagged me a CL and some DD probables as well :getin:

Sorry for the boring rear end code tags!

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice
That's awesome.

WitP can give some really cool moments. Like when I put the craziest, most aggressive commander in charge of the Philippine PT boats. They encountered an enemy task force of cruisers and destroyers and charged them, strafing the CA with machine gun fire and firing torpedoes everywhere. Half of them got sunk and none of the torpedoes hit, but it was still a :black101: moment.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
Speaking of WitP, I left it open and my puppy jumped on the keyboard. Now all taskforce move orders are on the map at once, and there is no mention of any such functionality in the hotkeys section of the manual. Send help, over half the hexes in the DEI are yellow and I can't work out where anything is going.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

maev posted:

On the subject of WinSPWW2, is there a way to make the combat resolutions go faster while still getting a good degree of info? waiting for the first of 50 t-34s to fire their main gun thrice and their separate machine guns each time gets old.
Yes, by turning down the delay to 0 under the Misc. tab of the launcher and setting animation to 1 (or better 0 bars) in the game options and setting message delay to 1/0 bars (depending on your eyesight/reading speed)

Turning off the sounds is pretty much mandatory for a speed boost (if you aren't incredibly tired of the game's annoying ricochet sound effect, you will be very soon). Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of the billion annoying messages when artillery shrapnel or machinegun fire hits a column of tanks to no effect whatsoever.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

AceRimmer posted:

Yes, by turning down the delay to 0 under the Misc. tab of the launcher and setting animation to 1 (or better 0 bars) in the game options and setting message delay to 1/0 bars (depending on your eyesight/reading speed)

Turning off the sounds is pretty much mandatory for a speed boost (if you aren't incredibly tired of the game's annoying ricochet sound effect, you will be very soon). Unfortunately, there is no way to get rid of the billion annoying messages when artillery shrapnel or machinegun fire hits a column of tanks to no effect whatsoever.

You'd think they'd be able to code an exception for those moments in, because god is it annoying when a bunch of tanks are spraying each other with machineguns.

HisMajestyBOB
Oct 21, 2010

College Slice

Pimpmust posted:

[/b]

You'd think they'd be able to code an exception for those moments in, because god is it annoying when a bunch of tanks are spraying each other with machineguns.

Ah, now I remember why I stopped playing SP:MBT/WW2. Worse, if I remember right, there's always a pause after each occurance, no matter what message or sound settings you use.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

HisMajestyBOB posted:

Ah, now I remember why I stopped playing SP:MBT/WW2. Worse, if I remember right, there's always a pause after each occurance, no matter what message or sound settings you use.
That and the braindead AI are what drive me away from this game every time I'm dumb enough to reinstall it.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

And for whatever reason they gave all tanks like 5 machinegun "actions" to allow them to target a bunch of dudes, but they all just use them on the same target (because the hit chance is like 2%) anyways.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

AceRimmer posted:

That and the braindead AI are what drive me away from this game every time I'm dumb enough to reinstall it.

Steel Panthers is always good fun against a human opponent though, braindead or not. On that note, any takers for SPWW2 or MBT? I'd prefer something large, maybe an attack/defense instead of meeting engagement (I'm happy with either). A historical battle would also be fun, I haven't played most of the stock scenarios. Timeframe and participants don't matter, anything from Spanish Civil War to contemporary Ukraine conflict. I see in SPMBT there's also a 1968 US vs Nazis scenario which sounds intriguing... :hitler:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Nenonen posted:

Steel Panthers is always good fun against a human opponent though, braindead or not. On that note, any takers for SPWW2 or MBT? I'd prefer something large, maybe an attack/defense instead of meeting engagement (I'm happy with either). A historical battle would also be fun, I haven't played most of the stock scenarios. Timeframe and participants don't matter, anything from Spanish Civil War to contemporary Ukraine conflict. I see in SPMBT there's also a 1968 US vs Nazis scenario which sounds intriguing... :hitler:

I've never done multiplayer before but I'm willing to give it a try, should be a different experience from scything down the AI human wave. I've got PMs and my info is on the OP spreadsheet as of now.

Out of curiousity, are there any games that take place at Steel Panthers' scale (brigade-sized engagements or lower, with each unit counter representing a section of infantry or a single vehicle), with its level of OOB variety and nation choices, but with better AI? The games are good for their time but they're still ultimately games that were developed for computers running MS-DOS in the mid-1990s, so the AI does leave a lot to be desired sometimes.

AceRimmer
Mar 18, 2009

Nenonen posted:

I was going to do that then I read the several pages of the manual devoted to the lovely PBEM system.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Pharnakes posted:

Speaking of WitP, I left it open and my puppy jumped on the keyboard. Now all taskforce move orders are on the map at once, and there is no mention of any such functionality in the hotkeys section of the manual. Send help, over half the hexes in the DEI are yellow and I can't work out where anything is going.

I think its T or maybe one of F1-F12. They all do various things and you can trial and error it pretty easily. Just make sure to press the button twice to switch whatever it was back on if its not the task force route button.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Saros posted:

I think its T or maybe one of F1-F12. They all do various things and you can trial and error it pretty easily. Just make sure to press the button twice to switch whatever it was back on if its not the task force route button.

That's what I did in the end, turns out it is 6 if anyone is interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
MB, e-mail sent!

Mister Bates posted:

Out of curiousity, are there any games that take place at Steel Panthers' scale (brigade-sized engagements or lower, with each unit counter representing a section of infantry or a single vehicle), with its level of OOB variety and nation choices, but with better AI? The games are good for their time but they're still ultimately games that were developed for computers running MS-DOS in the mid-1990s, so the AI does leave a lot to be desired sometimes.

I don't think so - especially not with the variety of eras, nations and equipment. Armored Brigade is perhaps the closest right now, even though it is limited to 1987?