Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

SirDan3k posted:

A long running average series keeps your characters safe a short lived good one just makes them targets to get grabbed, written completely different and then killed for shock value. Cutting and running is just trying to emotionally un-invest before that happens.

Spurrier's reputation does proceed him but that reputation is "wait until it gets good then jump on", he needs to get better at pulling things together quicker.

That's kind of contrary to the point of his writing, though-- the dude shows up and confuses the gently caress out of you with a shotgun blast of incomprehensible plot strings, and then spends the next 50 issues weaving it into some kind amazing, hosed-up tapestry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Cabbit posted:

That's kind of contrary to the point of his writing, though-- the dude shows up and confuses the gently caress out of you with a shotgun blast of incomprehensible plot strings, and then spends the next 50 issues weaving it into some kind amazing, hosed-up tapestry.

I'll give Spurrier credit for actually making me give a poo poo about a Crossed mini-series*

*(it was free and online, but I enjoyed what he wrote).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

CowboyAndy posted:

I'll give Spurrier credit for actually making me give a poo poo about a Crossed mini-series*

*(it was free and online, but I enjoyed what he wrote).

The dude's got a magic touch for spinning seemingly trivial or toxic characters into gold. I didn't go into Legacy expecting to care about Legion, let alone Blindfold or (in X-Force) Marrow, but here we are.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Who drops a series when it gets canceled? Especially if you were enjoying it. What the hell kind of logic is involved. :psyduck:

I dropped X-Factor partial because of cancelation and partially because of the AXIS tie-in. The solicits made it seem like the series wouldn't be getting any kind of satisfying wrap-up.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Yeah Spurrier is really good. My first exposure to him was a Warhammer 40k tie-in novel about a Space Gothic Armored Batman and it was surprisingly nice for the premise.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waterhaul posted:

This is like every Spurrier series and people always give up before it reaches that point.

And that's why they are always cancelled. I really don't get how his name hasn't got that mark of confidence yet.

I would say Legacy was good from the start but that's just me talkin'.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

TwoPair posted:

I didn't start reading legacy right away, but when I caught up with it the beginning didn't seem weak.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Who drops a series when it gets canceled? Especially if you were enjoying it. What the hell kind of logic is involved. :psyduck:

It means people can spend more money on books that """matter""" to the comic universe they're buying

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

TwoPair posted:

I think if you read it expecting something else the first couple issues of Legacy or X-Force can be a little rough, but if you go back and re-read them as you progress in the series the second pass is really good.

I'm not sure what I thought about X-Force at the beginning but all of it just seems so great now. There are a lot of really good quality moving parts here, Spurrier is really talented.

All I'm saying is Spurrier on Avengers in May thanks Marvel make it happen the future we all want etc etc

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Spiderdrake posted:

I think if you read it expecting something else the first couple issues of Legacy or X-Force can be a little rough, but if you go back and re-read them as you progress in the series the second pass is really good.

I'm not sure what I thought about X-Force at the beginning but all of it just seems so great now. There are a lot of really good quality moving parts here, Spurrier is really talented.

All I'm saying is Spurrier on Avengers in May thanks Marvel make it happen the future we all want etc etc

Yeah that's a better way of describing it. Spurrier comes on a book, changes poo poo up a lot and has his set ideas which will play off massively as the book progresses but people aren't feeling the changes or it's not what they expect and they drop it. Then as the second arc progresses it becomes apparent that the changes are for a very specific reason and he's building to something great rather than just changing poo poo for no reason.

Hickman does the same but people give him the benefit which they should for Spurrier.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Schneider Heim posted:

Yeah Spurrier is really good. My first exposure to him was a Warhammer 40k tie-in novel about a Space Gothic Armored Batman and it was surprisingly nice for the premise.

Tell me more.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah that's a better way of describing it. Spurrier comes on a book, changes poo poo up a lot and has his set ideas which will play off massively as the book progresses but people aren't feeling the changes or it's not what they expect and they drop it. Then as the second arc progresses it becomes apparent that the changes are for a very specific reason and he's building to something great rather than just changing poo poo for no reason.

Hickman does the same but people give him the benefit which they should for Spurrier.

Sounds like Spencer's ultimate work, except it never came together in a cohesive manner.

I've really got to pick up Legacy and X-Force one of these days haha.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
The first two issues of X-Force are kinda puzzling and meh, but I think after that the series starts to solidify pretty well, so I'm kinda confused about this "slow buildup" narrative. But I think I'm a sucker for that uber-Brit Warren Ellis dialogue, so maybe it's me.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Probably Magic posted:

The first two issues of X-Force are kinda puzzling and meh, but I think after that the series starts to solidify pretty well, so I'm kinda confused about this "slow buildup" narrative. But I think I'm a sucker for that uber-Brit Warren Ellis dialogue, so maybe it's me.

Compare the first issue with the Marrow narration to this most recent one with her narrating. That is some good character growth.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

redbackground posted:

Tell me more.

Lord of the Night. Evil super space Batman in power armor terrorizes pretty much everyone in his path. It's a good book but sadly overshadowed by the Night Lords trilogy that followed a few years later.

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014
Hey guys, me and my friend do a gag webcomic and we decided to make one about the X-men's sex lives. Enjoy. (Also :nws: for boobies.)

http://imgur.com/JGboNPm

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Oh, uh ... well.

That's ... I mean, you certainly drew that. :catstare:

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

UniqueLikeMonique posted:

Hey guys, me and my friend do a gag webcomic and we decided to make one about the X-men's sex lives. Enjoy. (Also :nws: for boobies.)

That is certainly something you drew, yes. Didn't enjoy it. Why did you think the thread wanted to see it?

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014
Hey I just thought I'd share it since it was relevant to the fandom.

You guys really that mad that its in a cartoony style rather than hyper realistic? That's the style of our webcomic and we adapt pop culture characters into that style rather than try to imitate their own respective art styles.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Nobody said they didn't like it because it was cartoony.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You guys really that mad that its in a cartoony style rather than hyper realistic? That's the style of our webcomic and we adapt pop culture characters into that style rather than try to imitate their own respective art styles.

Plainly stated, it's not very funny.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Yes, clearly the cartoony style is the only fault with this totally not creepy webcomic that people here have a problem with.

Clearly.

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014
My bad. I thought it was because you guys liked the art in the X-men comics and by extension wanted the art in my comic to look like that.

But you do realize that joke is that the complications are caused by their superpowers/disability (in Professor X's case) and that this isn't just raunchy sex humor for the sake of it right?

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Holy poo poo dude we understand the jokes they just aren't funny

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014

Senor Candle posted:

Holy poo poo dude we understand the jokes they just aren't funny

Is it because I didn't use the most original super powers? Gotta give me credit for not using Wolverine and his rapid recovery time at least

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Is it because I didn't use the most original super powers? Gotta give me credit for not using Wolverine and his rapid recovery time at least

The theme is not the problem.

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

The problem is that you are a gross weirdo who draws comic book characters naked.

Does that help

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.

When did they start letting you post again?

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

My bad. I thought it was because you guys liked the art in the X-men comics and by extension wanted the art in my comic to look like that.

But you do realize that joke is that the complications are caused by their superpowers/disability (in Professor X's case) and that this isn't just raunchy sex humor for the sake of it right?

The X-Men comics have been drawn by a lot of people and it's fun to see them in different styles and drawn by different folks. That was not the issue anyone had. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the style but that wasn't what killed it.

The joke was obvious and also just really unfunny and weird. The Magneto one is probably the creepiest but they're all just uncomfortable and not very funny. There's probably some humor to be found in superheroes having sex, but you are not the person who's found it and I think you should stop looking because this was like anti-comedy. Hope this helps.

UniqueLikeMonique
May 19, 2014

A Tin Of Beans posted:

The X-Men comics have been drawn by a lot of people and it's fun to see them in different styles and drawn by different folks. That was not the issue anyone had. I mean, I'm not a huge fan of the style but that wasn't what killed it.

The joke was obvious and also just really unfunny and weird. The Magneto one is probably the creepiest but they're all just uncomfortable and not very funny. There's probably some humor to be found in superheroes having sex, but you are not the person who's found it and I think you should stop looking because this was like anti-comedy. Hope this helps.

Oh alright, thanks I understand now. Wasn't trying to be creepy with it, there's a certain style of obscene humor I was going for but I think I didn't achieve it properly. Those were the best I could manage so I don't think this superhero sex humor is the right of me. Thanks for the assessment.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Bromide just please get banned again already for all our sakes.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Oh alright, thanks I understand now. Wasn't trying to be creepy with it, there's a certain style of obscene humor I was going for but I think I didn't achieve it properly. Those were the best I could manage so I don't think this superhero sex humor is the right of me. Thanks for the assessment.

Yes, please go back to making comics about all the creepy revenge sex fantasies you have vis-a-vis the evil video game feminists. Or better, go away forever because you're one of the guys behind Shredded Moose.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

You're a weird and creepy dude.

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
Did the X-Men thread get it's own Dark_Tzitzimine?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Did Dark_Tzitzimine get creepy? That makes me feel sad, he seemed nice but with incredibly refined levels of bad taste.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

how do we travel back to the universe where those comics were never posted in this thread?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Spiderdrake posted:

Did Dark_Tzitzimine get creepy? That makes me feel sad, he seemed nice but with incredibly refined levels of bad taste.

If you read his anime titty fighting game thread you would know Dark_Tzitzimine has always been creepy.

Also the thread really should be better than to fall of the most obvious of troll posts.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
That's not even Magneto's current costume. Completely shameful.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

ElNarez posted:

Yes, please go back to making comics about all the creepy revenge sex fantasies you have vis-a-vis the evil video game feminists. Or better, go away forever because you're one of the guys behind Shredded Moose.

Holy poo poo is he really? That's loving despicable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinaman7000
Nov 28, 2003

This paragraph is the funniest thing I've read in a while, this is some upper level comedy here. Thank you for explaining how webcomics work.

• Locked thread