Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ubisoft just released the story DLC for Assassin's Creed Unity for free. The annoying thing about this is that to get to the DLC you use a fast travel point in the game world, which is right next to the fast travel point for your home base so you can accidentally select the DLC point instead. They don't ask you if you actually wanted to start the DLC and once it begins you can't actually quit out of it until you finish the first mission, which is fairly lengthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

HMS Boromir posted:

They should've just made him left handed for the PC version

I cannot understand why they didn't do this. If you're absolutely married to the idea that LMB=sword then put the sword in the left hand.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

moosecow333 posted:

Shadow of Mordor is a really great game, but the fact that you can't skip the company logos at the beginning of the game is really annoying. Sure, it's only a couple extra seconds of my time, but after seeing them for the 40th time they get really old.

I think this has to do with rights agreements, some proprietary tech is cheaper to use if you put the logo in the opening of your game or they'll give you extra support in exchange for it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Tiggum posted:

The controls in Dishonored are really hard to get used to. I keep shooting people when I mean to strangle them or stabbing them when I mean to block. Having three separate attack buttons, one of which is sometimes a defend button, is just hard to wrap my head around. And it was even worse before I switched the right and left mouse buttons. I noticed Skyrim has the same weird backwards controls by default too. How is that supposed to be a good idea? Left-click to use your right hand and right-click to use your left hand? Sure, that sounds intuitive.

You have the strangest complaints, left click is usually reserved for the generic 'attack' action in every game under the sun since 1999, why should it change now?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

khwarezm posted:

You have the strangest complaints, left click is usually reserved for the generic 'attack' action in every game under the sun since 1999, why should it change now?
Tiggum is actually on the autistic spectrum. This is not an insult, just a fact. So his assumptions of what is intuitive are not necessarily helpful.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm reasonably sure I'm not on it and it certainly tripped me up for the first hour or two. I'm sticking with PC Mirror Corvo as the actual optimal solution.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

In Arkham Asylum I cut the rope that an inmate was holding onto so that he fell head first into poison gas. His status after that was unconscious.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009

Alhazred posted:

In Arkham Asylum I cut the rope that an inmate was holding onto so that he fell head first into poison gas. His status after that was unconscious.

In Arkham City I climbed up an elevator shaft, got into a fight with a couple of dudes at the top, then Batman slow-motion kicked the last guy straight down the elevator shaft. It was hilarious. Batman doesn't kill, but that guy? gently caress him specifically.

But yeah, he was unconcious too. Lucky son of a bitch.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

khwarezm posted:

It's quite quite strange. Traditionally, Left Click has been for the default attack. The default attack comes from the gun that is being held in the right hand. The Right Click is usually for special attack, and in this case, is the melee sword attack. Except, the sword is held in the left hand, so the two hands are being controlled by the opposite mouse buttons. Which is unintuitive to someone who hasn't been playing shooters for the last 17 years.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Phobophilia posted:

It's quite quite strange. Traditionally, Left Click has been for the default attack. The default attack comes from the gun that is being held in the right hand. The Right Click is usually for special attack, and in this case, is the melee sword attack. Except, the sword is held in the left hand, so the two hands are being controlled by the opposite mouse buttons. Which is unintuitive to someone who hasn't been playing shooters for the last 17 years.

But the melee sword attack is left click. I can't honestly say I even notice when the 'wrong' hand is being used when comparing mouse to on-screen action, but if it is a problem dishonored has a button prompt for stealth kill/knockout every time you are behind somebody.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Phobophilia posted:

You have that completely backwards - the gun or crossbow is in the left hand, the melee weapon is in the right. And your loud-as-hell gun is NOT your default weapon in a stealth game that's all about not being seen or heard. The crossbow is better stealthwise, but judging from how hard bolts are to come by and how few you can carry (unless you spend a shitton of money in both cases) I don't think it was intended as a default either.

The ranged weapons work best as a way to stun enemies for a quick melee kill and for tranquilizing people - in this game they're your special attack you use sparingly (ignoring the supernatural stuff anyway).

Kimmalah has a new favorite as of 23:16 on Jan 18, 2015

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Alhazred posted:

Arkham Asylum and City operate in the same way the censored dubs of Dragonball Z did, even if you get hurled into space, or blown into a billion pieces, you are only knocked out, or sent to another dimension, but never killed!

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

princecoo posted:

In Arkham City I climbed up an elevator shaft, got into a fight with a couple of dudes at the top, then Batman slow-motion kicked the last guy straight down the elevator shaft. It was hilarious. Batman doesn't kill, but that guy? gently caress him specifically.

But yeah, he was unconcious too. Lucky son of a bitch.

I've been replaying the Arkham games recently and this sort of thing happens all the time when you're fighting people on top of buildings. There's supposed to be an invisible wall that stops them from getting knocked off the the edge when you're landing the final attack, but a lot of the time they'll die and then the ragdoll will slowly roll off the side and fall twenty stories onto the pavement. Also plenty of people that get knocked out and then roll into some water where they presumably drowned.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've been replaying the Arkham games recently and this sort of thing happens all the time when you're fighting people on top of buildings. There's supposed to be an invisible wall that stops them from getting knocked off the the edge when you're landing the final attack, but a lot of the time they'll die and then the ragdoll will slowly roll off the side and fall twenty stories onto the pavement. Also plenty of people that get knocked out and then roll into some water where they presumably drowned.
All I could think while watching my roommate play though Arkham Orgins was everyone one of those guys he left concussed in the snow would be dead by morning.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sheet, it's been too long since I've played Dishonored. Oops, L Click for R hand sword slash, R click for L hand gun blast or crossbow bolt, C for block/chokeout.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

World Famous Whore posted:

All I could think while watching my roommate play though Arkham Orgins was everyone one of those guys he left concussed in the snow would be dead by morning.

That's actually a plot point, how Batman doesn't kill but he does leave a swath of crippled thieves in his wake.

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Judge Tesla posted:

Arkham Asylum and City operate in the same way the censored dubs of Dragonball Z did, even if you get hurled into space, or blown into a billion pieces, you are only knocked out, or sent to another dimension, but never killed!

Being paralyzed from the neck down is not dead.... just worse than death.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
As a left-hander, Bethesda's one-two punch of dual-wielding from Skyrim and Dishonored actually did gently caress with me fairly considerably. And I'm gonna die on this hill if I have to; I don't care how many years of 'convention' you're holding onto, that's just an excuse for not doing the simplest loving thing, and have the left hand weapon be used by the left mouse button. It's the most rational thing in the world, and 'convention' is just an excuse for not using a modicum of brainpower for your control scheme.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Cleretic posted:

As a left-hander, Bethesda's one-two punch of dual-wielding from Skyrim and Dishonored actually did gently caress with me fairly considerably. And I'm gonna die on this hill if I have to; I don't care how many years of 'convention' you're holding onto, that's just an excuse for not doing the simplest loving thing, and have the left hand weapon be used by the left mouse button. It's the most rational thing in the world, and 'convention' is just an excuse for not using a modicum of brainpower for your control scheme.

Like I mentioned earlier, that is the control scheme with a controller. :shrug:

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

MrJacobs posted:

Being paralyzed from the neck down is not dead.... just worse than death.
As long as Bruce can keep pretending his juvenile revenge fantasy is helping Gotham.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!

Kimmalah posted:

Like I mentioned earlier, that is the control scheme with a controller. :shrug:

That's arguably worse. It shows that someone did have that thought, that someone on the control scheme team understood the concept of 'left = left', and yet other people on the team didn't go 'oh, hey, that actually makes sense'. Or worse still, it was the same guy and he went back on his logic.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Most people are right handed. For a right-handed person, it's better to have left click be the more common action than right click because it's controlled by your index finger. Virtually all first person games put your viewmodel on the right side of the screen (because their characters are right handed, because most people are right handed) so it's become normal to have left click be your primary action for the thing on the right side of the screen. It's not just "convention," it came about because most people are right handed so it makes the most sense for them. Obviously alternate options for left handed people would be good, but this isn't a case where one way is objectively better and every developer is an idiot for picking the Wrong Way To Do Things.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

no you see my ideas for how a game should control are objectively correct because

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

remap the controls

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Alhazred posted:

My favourite explanation for stuff like this is that Batman totally is killing people, but Oracle secretly rigged the batcowl to never display people Batman's fought as dead. The logic being that if Batman knew he had killed people, he'd probably quit being Batman, and when you get into serious, life-or-death fights, there's no way to guarantee that the guy you're fighting doesn't have a heart condition or something that makes the fight lethal, even if you're as obsessive about non-lethality as Batman is.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Most people are right handed. For a right-handed person, it's better to have left click be the more common action than right click because it's controlled by your index finger. Virtually all first person games put your viewmodel on the right side of the screen (because their characters are right handed, because most people are right handed) so it's become normal to have left click be your primary action for the thing on the right side of the screen. It's not just "convention," it came about because most people are right handed so it makes the most sense for them. Obviously alternate options for left handed people would be good, but this isn't a case where one way is objectively better and every developer is an idiot for picking the Wrong Way To Do Things.
Most first person shooters don't have dual wielded weapons. You can't just reduce it to "left click for primary attack" when in most shooters right clicking is doing something else with the same weapon rather than using a second weapon held in the other hand. It is a convention, and it's not like people can't use right click as the primary action--look at every Dota-like game, Diablo, etc. where the majority of your clicks are going to be from the right mouse button.

Zig-Zag
Aug 29, 2007

Why don't we just start shooting tar heroin instead?
Controller chat bringing this thread down...

I'm in love with the new Dragon age bit it's so unintuitive it hurts me. You can't click on something like loot to move towards it and you can't hold down both mouse buttons to move. They didn't put tool tips in the hud and you can only assign 8 moves and 3 potions. These wouldn't be complaints if it wasn't something that was featured in both games that came before it... These small things ruin an otherwise perfect game. Ohhhhhhh and holding down the mouse button to attack? What is that poo poo?

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Elysiume posted:

Most first person shooters don't have dual wielded weapons. You can't just reduce it to "left click for primary attack" when in most shooters right clicking is doing something else with the same weapon rather than using a second weapon held in the other hand. It is a convention, and it's not like people can't use right click as the primary action--look at every Dota-like game, Diablo, etc. where the majority of your clicks are going to be from the right mouse button.

Actually, this is another case where convention makes different games subtly different. IIRC, Dota-likes are based off WC3 controls, where R-click moves, and L-click attacks. Diablo-likes go in the opposite direction, L-click is used primarily for movement, whereas R-click usually has some kind of attack mapped to it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
For games where it would be relevant, you could use LMB-left hand/RMB-right hand and then make it so you can pick if your character is left- or right-handed to determine primary/secondary weapons and actions. Bam.

("bam" = "a bunch of writing custom code and testing rather than probably-existing control code")

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Phobophilia posted:

Actually, this is another case where convention makes different games subtly different. IIRC, Dota-likes are based off WC3 controls, where R-click moves, and L-click attacks. Diablo-likes go in the opposite direction, L-click is used primarily for movement, whereas R-click usually has some kind of attack mapped to it.
My first RTS was Command & Conquer (Tiberian Sun), then I tried my hand at WC3. The hours I spent trying to left-click-order troops around...

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

This clock bullshit in Fez is really loving dumb.

I mean god drat, who the gently caress thought waiting around for something to just appear was a fun challenge.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Raxivace posted:

This clock bullshit in Fez is really loving dumb.

I mean god drat, who the gently caress thought waiting around for something to just appear was a fun challenge.

Dude, date and time settings.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

death .cab for qt posted:

Dude, date and time settings.

That's what I'll probably end up doing anyways, but it irks me that this exists as a game mechanic to begin with.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Raxivace posted:

That's what I'll probably end up doing anyways, but it irks me that this exists as a game mechanic to begin with.

One of the ideas around Fez seems to be that solving puzzles like that by just changing the clock is perfectly viable and isn't somehow wrong. A bunch of the puzzles require you to look and work outside the actual gameworld itself, like the Qr codes. In addition some of them probably won't be worked out without consulting outside help on a forum or a guide, so the game actually incorporates that very process into the puzzles themselves. this video has a lot of spoilers but it explains it better than I could:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iefXGaaVERg

Its very meta I suppose but it is quite original, I like the idea of a game that doesn't have any illusions of being a completely immersive experience divorced from the rest of the world, instead it incorporates the computer you are using or the controller or your mobile or the internet in really interesting ways.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Clive Barker's Undying, one of the very first games to use the "separate actions for each hand" convention in shooters, had your left hand correspond to your left mouse button, and the right to right.
So calling it a matter of convention that the inverse is the original method is retarded.
That being said, I don't care and it never messes me up. I just wanted to say you're all wrong.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

JebanyPedal posted:

Clive Barker's Undying, one of the very first games to use the "separate actions for each hand" convention in shooters, had your left hand correspond to your left mouse button, and the right to right.
So calling it a matter of convention that the inverse is the original method is retarded.
That being said, I don't care and it never messes me up. I just wanted to say you're all wrong.

This whole post is pretty bad. Though people complaining about control schemes that are customisable are worse.

For content, not being able to pause cutscenes in the first three MGS games is a nightnare

Damonic
Jan 17, 2006
I hate it when games force me to change graphic settings outside of the game.

I have to pick my settings, go through all of the intro and loading screens, then finally get into game to see how smoothly everything is running. Which usually means I'll have to do this like 4 or 5 times.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

EmmyOk posted:

This whole post is pretty bad. Though people complaining about control schemes that are customisable are worse.

For content, not being able to pause cutscenes in the first three MGS games is a nightnare

No it isn't, it's just right. You can say whatever retarded poo poo you want but when it comes down to it the first games that did this poo poo already realized what is the most intuitive, most basic, least difficult to understand method. Everything else is just everyone desperately trying to look more informed but then they say dumb poo poo about convention but can't name a single game that helped define the mechanic in the first place lmao.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

JebanyPedal posted:

No it isn't, it's just right. You can say whatever retarded poo poo you want but when it comes down to it the first games that did this poo poo already realized what is the most intuitive, most basic, least difficult to understand method. Everything else is just everyone desperately trying to look more informed but then they say dumb poo poo about convention but can't name a single game that helped define the mechanic in the first place lmao.

I disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Damonic posted:

I hate it when games force me to change graphic settings outside of the game.

I would include any settings that can't be changed mid-game. Whether you have to quit the game entirely or just abandon the current level/mission/whatever and return the main menu. Why would you do that? I usually won't know that I want to change the controls or something until I've started playing.

I was playing Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams recently, and discovered in the middle of a really long level that the default keyboard control scheme doesn't assign a key to "switch characters without using an ability", which is something you need to do to finish that level. Of course, the game doesn't let you save mid-level for some reason (which is its own issue) so I had to quit and redo a bunch of stuff.

Although speaking of graphics settings, I never know what to set them to anyway. I don't even know what most of them do. Will checking this box make a noticeable difference to how the game looks? Will it make a noticeable difference to how the game runs? :iiam: