Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

tsob posted:

Was he? He doesn't seem to have done anything to indicate he had a crush on her for a while now, and barely ever did so beyond the first episodes events. He didn't even seem freaked out when it was revealed they were related. He seemed more upset at the idea that he was from Towasanga when looking at the colony and the Earth, presumably because it was reminding him of his mother and the fact she isn't his real mother.

I really wish Tomino had asked for 50 episodes for G-Reco, since he apparently only wanted 26 and felt that was more than enough, because the pacing on a lot of stuff is just way too fast and it ends up making everything feel really rushed and cramped. The scene this episode where the resistance woman tells Raraiya that she's sorry and that things must have been hard on her before hugging her only for Raraiya to immediately start tearing up is a good example, because her reaction just felt too fast and in a show with more room to breath she'd probably have been able to pause for a second or two and start crying in a more natural manner. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to like this nearly as much as Turn-A when all is said and done because there's just no slowdown in the show and a lot of the stuff feels like it'd work a lot better if the show would give the characters a little room to stop and pause and have a slow scene or even episode where they can stop and think for a short while the way characters did in Turn-A.

I'm going to agree with this. This show feels like Turn A set to fast forward. It's not bad, but you don't get a chance to slow things down. Things just keep happening, information just keeps coming each episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Was he? He doesn't seem to have done anything to indicate he had a crush on her for a while now, and barely ever did so beyond the first episodes events. He didn't even seem freaked out when it was revealed they were related. He seemed more upset at the idea that he was from Towasanga when looking at the colony and the Earth, presumably because it was reminding him of his mother and the fact she isn't his real mother.

He absolutely was. He straight-up says "If you tell me Aida is my sister, I'm going to go a little crazy!" Bellri having a crush on Aida has been a thing for a while. He isn't lusting after her and stalking her but he's basically kept doing things to stay near her. This is something characters onscreen have commented on. Also it's important to note that part of Bellri's "not kill people" thing was he was doing it to keep Aida happy. He even goes this episode "I have a sister now so I *will* kill you!"

His response upon finding out wasn't an instant Shinji-style freakout. He laughed it off and said "there's no way that can be true!" Then he kept denying it sort of halfheartedly as he realized it was true. He smiled and laughed about it but his response after that was to hop in the G-Self where he became more and more angry and was really obviously looking for a fight. He basically yelled at them that "I have a sister now" and also had a freakout and basically begged Aida to recognize that he didn't kill them.

Shinjobi posted:

I'm going to agree with this. This show feels like Turn A set to fast forward. It's not bad, but you don't get a chance to slow things down. Things just keep happening, information just keeps coming each episode.

I prefer this pacing to Turn-A's pacing but I've generally always felt Tomino's 50-episode shows are about 20 episodes too long for their own good. I'd rather have good pacing but I've long since given up the hopes of getting that from anything modern Tomino.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 17, 2015

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

G-Reco is going to benefit from the lit-analysis style rewatching over and over to catch the things you miss the first time through. It is very artsy, which we were kinda expecting from the beginning.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think G-Reco will really depend on how well it ends, which is completely up in the air considering Tomino is all over the place with endings.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
Episode 16 in which Bellri channels his inner-angry-kamille.

Also, I am glad to see Pocky still being made in G-Reco.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

sunburnedcrow posted:

Episode 16 in which Bellri channels his inner-angry-kamille.

Also, I am glad to see Pocky still being made in G-Reco.

poo poo's delicious, and is great for an after-Kuntala snack.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Gnarled 500 year old olive trees on a space colony.

Why is that so beautiful to me?

The hemp field with that hole in it where the chickens were running around that had caved in... there was a finely maintained wooden Victorian style house connected to it. That tells a story. A biosphere built in space to begin with is a fantastic feat... but it's so old now. That level must have collapsed from lack of maintenance. But even that time must have been very long ago, as the area's been re-purposed and tidied up now... but notably not rebuilt.

I never commented on last episode, but the bare trees with green plants growing all around under a bright blue sky... in a rock on the far side of the moon... is an image I'm not likely to forget any time soon. I wonder why the trees were bare... if it was just early spring in space, or if they were all dead for some reason.

And then we cut to Mask and Klim being such petty scheming children... the way that this world is so matter-of-factly incredible, and the people are so cartoonishly foolish... for me it's creating a great thematic dissonance.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Eiba posted:

Gnarled 500 year old olive trees on a space colony.

Why is that so beautiful to me?

The hemp field with that hole in it where the chickens were running around that had caved in... there was a finely maintained wooden Victorian style house connected to it. That tells a story. A biosphere built in space to begin with is a fantastic feat... but it's so old now. That level must have collapsed from lack of maintenance. But even that time must have been very long ago, as the area's been re-purposed and tidied up now... but notably not rebuilt.

I never commented on last episode, but the bare trees with green plants growing all around under a bright blue sky... in a rock on the far side of the moon... is an image I'm not likely to forget any time soon. I wonder why the trees were bare... if it was just early spring in space, or if they were all dead for some reason.

And then we cut to Mask and Klim being such petty scheming children... the way that this world is so matter-of-factly incredible, and the people are so cartoonishly foolish... for me it's creating a great thematic dissonance.

If positively ancient (and still inhabited) space habitats are your thing, then Matter by Iain M. Banks, and Ringworld by Larry Niven might be up your alley. (if you haven't already read them)

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Is there a map of events for this series yet? Just to show new people what the hell is going on in the show.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Ka0 posted:

Is there a map of events for this series yet? Just to show new people what the hell is going on in the show.

Couldn't they just watch the show? We've only had what, eighteen episodes or so at this point, it's not like wanting to catch up with Gundam 0079 because you want to watch Zeta.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I feel like the only thing you need to know is the Cahil was Aida's lover, because that makes that plot point make more sense in hindsight. I don't know why they waited until episode 16 to even mention that.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

I feel like the only thing you need to know is the Cahil was Aida's lover, because that makes that plot point make more sense in hindsight. I don't know why they waited until episode 16 to even mention that.

I thought we knew that from the beginning though? The first episode was pretty clear about that.
I mean he might've been her father figure instead but it was definitely one of those two!

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Was Cahil in the first episode? I honestly don't remember much from that one beyond the silly ending and the stuff that made it into the OPs.

Aida pretty much just went "YOU KILLED CAHIL HOW COULD YOU BLUAAAAGH" and there was just no context whatsoever for what Cahil actually meant to her. He could have been a mentor, her paternal figure, her friend, someone she admired, pretty much anything.

And personally I don't jump straight to "they're lovers!" when somebody shows emotion for someone else. :shrug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

everythingWasBees posted:

I thought we knew that from the beginning though? The first episode was pretty clear about that.
I mean he might've been her father figure instead but it was definitely one of those two!

It was clear they had a relationship but it was hard to identify specifically what it was. Him being her lover isn't really that important in retrospect but it's nice to have it specifically defined.

Caros
May 14, 2008

As a total aside... how old is Aida supposed to be? Because Bellri is sixteen and Cahill looks like he's in his thirties. I mean its anime and all, but thats pretty loving creepy.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Caros posted:

As a total aside... how old is Aida supposed to be? Because Bellri is sixteen and Cahill looks like he's in his thirties. I mean its anime and all, but thats pretty loving creepy.

I'm guessing eighteen. Tomino's protagonists usually have a thing for older women. So, still kind of creepy, although given how Gundam ages work, Cahill was probably in his early twenties at most.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Cahil was exactly 35 years old at the time of his death.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

Was Cahil in the first episode? I honestly don't remember much from that one beyond the silly ending and the stuff that made it into the OPs.

Aida pretty much just went "YOU KILLED CAHIL HOW COULD YOU BLUAAAAGH" and there was just no context whatsoever for what Cahil actually meant to her. He could have been a mentor, her paternal figure, her friend, someone she admired, pretty much anything.

And personally I don't jump straight to "they're lovers!" when somebody shows emotion for someone else. :shrug:

I actually went back to rewatch the flashback with Aida and Cahill in episode five, and in retrospect it is kind of obvious that there is something there. Klim Nick gives the pair a "what the gently caress" look when he finds them talking, and they both get sort of a guilty look. The show probably could have benefitted from dropping this plot point a bit earlier since Cahill is all but forgotten at this point, but it actually does a pretty good job of giving context to earlier scenes I do have to say.

quote:

Cahil was exactly 35 years old at the time of his death.

Eww. I mean I'm not really one to judge and whatever makes them happy... but still, sorta eww.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

Yeah, him and Aida interacted a bit, I think. I dunno, I thought the thread consensus was that they were lovers back then, but I could be wrong.

Also that wasn't meant to be entirely serious as a post, which I hoped to get across by the "Or he could've been her father figure too. One or the other!" Sorry about that!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Caros posted:

Eww. I mean I'm not really one to judge and whatever makes them happy... but still, sorta eww.

He was making a Ramba Ral (age 35) joke.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm fairly sure that was in in-universe reaction to Ral's age too. :v:

Caros
May 14, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I knew there was a joke there.... but I just couldn't figure it out. drat my lack of humor. :negative:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Cahill is probably in his early 20s at most and just has one of those older-type designs. Harry Ord was all of 18 years old for example and Guin was 19.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ImpAtom posted:

Harry Ord was all of 18 years old for example

...How? How could this possibly be?

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Raxivace posted:

...How? How could this possibly be?

You saw his glasses, didn't you? What kind of adult would wear glasses like that.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

everythingWasBees posted:

You saw his glasses, didn't you? What kind of adult would wear glasses like that.

An adult who wanted to be kickin' rad, that's who.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
What's Haman's age in ZZ.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No kid could pull off this jacket.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ka0 posted:

What's Haman's age in ZZ.

She's 21 by the time she dies.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bright was 19 during the One Year War. Let that sink in.

Nineteen.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Bright's age works better in The Origin for me because he's constantly sweating and freaking out about everything. I love how he keeps getting frustrated over the WB kids continually embarrassing him at EF meetings.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

My favorite example of this is in Fang of the Sun Dougram.

This guy is 19.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Can someone point me to the flashback with Aida and Cahil? I tried skipping through a few episodes but didnt't find it.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Grim Up North posted:

Can someone point me to the flashback with Aida and Cahil? I tried skipping through a few episodes but didnt't find it.

I believe it's either episode 4 or 5.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

The artstyle of this show makes me think that the picture of Bellri and Aida's space parents could feasibly be pictures of their respective earth parents, 18-ish years ago. I have no idea if that was intentional or not, though, considering none of the characters said anything to that effect.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

Pureauthor posted:

I believe it's either episode 4 or 5.

Thanks, it's episode 4 around 10 minutes in just before the eyecatch/cms.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Red Bones posted:

The artstyle of this show makes me think that the picture of Bellri and Aida's space parents could feasibly be pictures of their respective earth parents, 18-ish years ago. I have no idea if that was intentional or not, though, considering none of the characters said anything to that effect.

Bellri's mom said she adopted him in one of the earliest episodes so I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be the same characters.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Bellri's mom said she adopted him in one of the earliest episodes so I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to be the same characters.

That, or she just had way too much space-hemp during her Towasanga days.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I wonder if Cyrano supposed to be A Boa Qu that was superglued back together. The shape is kind of similar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Midjack posted:

I wonder if Cyrano supposed to be A Boa Qu that was superglued back together. The shape is kind of similar.

What happened to the half of Axis from the Axis Shock? It doesn't really look like it, but eh, at least a millennium can do weird things to rocks.

• Locked thread