Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Drinkfist posted:

Its loving great watching bigger companies drop Zombie survival games only to lose to the Fun Pimps.

Seriously 7 Days to Die is peak Zombie survival minecraft. The only thing they were missing was vehicles and they are adding a buggy this month so that is totally checkmate.

I have been looking at this H1Z1 game you guys all paid to play and wonder why people can't just wait for something to release and buy into Early Access for a SOE game no less. I can totally understand a Early access to a small indie dev company because the bankroll they make always seems to find it's way back into the game or the next project. SOE has the bankroll already and proves time and time again they don't know how to manage games. Why the hell does John Smedley still have a job as president? They should have had he step down after the last 100 PR disasters and dumb poo poo he has pulled on their own games. Why the gently caress does SOE need to Early Access a game? This should have been some invite only closed/open beta game. Get this garbage off steam Early Access. gently caress John Smedley.

Any company with the staff to run a mmo well doesn't really qualify as "indie" imo (200+ player zombie games are mmos)

Flavahbeast fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 18, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Tide posted:

I so want to jump into this but have gotten spoiled with my PS4/controller rather than m/kb. Does the game even have controller support? I'm guessing no since so many other things are broken or not implemented. I know I would be at a disadvantage to m/kb players but I really don't care.

What is broken in the game right now?

bogey.flail
Mar 29, 2001
http://map.neutralized.co.uk/

This map allows you to copy and paste your current location from the game, and it will tell you where you currently are on the map, looks like it could be pretty handy.

According to the people who wrote the map it's not perfect, but getting there.

Just hit "M" ingame, type /loc and highlight the coordinates, paste it to the map and hit "Find!"

You can also use it to link your location via a URL, for example http://map.neutralized.co.uk/-2830.770/60.740/

This could really help finding out where you have been dumped after a death, and for meeting up with other goons.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
Are these names (like "Pisspot Creek") actually SOE names or are these fan-made?

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Optiquest posted:

Floating arrows in the middle of the road..

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How many goons are playing? I'll pretty much buy anything if I can have fun shooting the poo poo with goons.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Turtlicious posted:

How many goons are playing? I'll pretty much buy anything if I can have fun shooting the poo poo with goons.

SOEs demographic

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Turtlicious posted:

Well, right now there are around 20 goons in Mumble so... Quite a few? There are even usually a handful that hang around into the early hours of the morning, so you should honestly be able to find people to hang out with at any time of day.

Atheist Sunglasses
Jul 26, 2003

All the candy you want. Crotton crandy, crandy apple. I like to go on the best ride first. Name of roller croaster.

bogey.flail posted:

http://map.neutralized.co.uk/

This map allows you to copy and paste your current location from the game, and it will tell you where you currently are on the map, looks like it could be pretty handy.

According to the people who wrote the map it's not perfect, but getting there.

Just hit "M" ingame, type /loc and highlight the coordinates, paste it to the map and hit "Find!"

You can also use it to link your location via a URL, for example http://map.neutralized.co.uk/-2830.770/60.740/

This could really help finding out where you have been dumped after a death, and for meeting up with other goons.

This owns. Thanks.

I'm having a ton of fun with goons with this game. The shitposters in this thread are unbearable. The only other zombie game I've play was DayZ. This is leaps and bounds better.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Optiquest posted:

What is broken in the game

Third World Reggin posted:

SOEs demographic

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
as much as I actually legitimately like this game, shitposting is a time honored and sacred tradition that I won't have attacked :colbert:

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

These worn keys or whatever that drop from zombies (and of course other players) are pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. You find a key, go to the place the key tells you, get loot. Sort of gives you a reason to go to places and do things outside of murdering everyone (of course you still murder everyone).

Spawn in, make bow, shoot zombies, get a purpose for your videolife.

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

cyanidewolf posted:

These worn keys or whatever that drop from zombies (and of course other players) are pretty much the best thing since sliced bread. You find a key, go to the place the key tells you, get loot. Sort of gives you a reason to go to places and do things outside of murdering everyone (of course you still murder everyone).

Spawn in, make bow, shoot zombies, get a purpose for your videolife.

Aside from the game starting at 4k on my 1080p system, I haven't had a problem yet and am enjoying it. Loot seems rare, though. At least in the short time I played. But I'm looking forward to playing more after work. I'm in Australia though so I'm not sure how screwed I am as far as ping goes though, but PS2 was playable in the early days, so I have hope.

cyanidewolf
Sep 1, 2007

Truly the corgiest of goodposts

tehsid posted:

Aside from the game starting at 4k on my 1080p system, I haven't had a problem yet and am enjoying it. Loot seems rare, though. At least in the short time I played. But I'm looking forward to playing more after work. I'm in Australia though so I'm not sure how screwed I am as far as ping goes though, but PS2 was playable in the early days, so I have hope.

Thing about loot is that the containers never contain anything. All loot I've found has been on tables etc. clearly visible, but only if you know to look for it among all the static debris. And once you find one of those keys then, at the end of that rainbow is the treasure. Not ignoring zombies is a thing in this game, unlike DayZ.

kiriana
Mar 8, 2011

Optiquest posted:

Your driving.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

kiriana posted:

Your driving.

:yikes: :ohdear: :eyepop:

Constantine XI
Dec 21, 2003
omg turk rush
Had a lot of fun playing with goons tonight.

0 deaths from random pubbies.

2 accidental shootings and 1 vehicular manslaughter from my own teammates.

Hopefully the base gets super geared up by this coming weekend so we can all just poo poo .308 bullets all over everybody.

Biscuit Hider
Apr 12, 2005

Biscuit Hider
Played for an hour and looted every single container under the sun. Never found one single piece of loot. Not one.

This game is garbage until it gets some major work.

Spunky Junior Reporter!
Jul 27, 2011

Fun Shoe
my first death in this game was opti accidentally running me over

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Hybridfusion posted:

Played for an hour and looted every single container under the sun. Never found one single piece of loot. Not one.

This game is garbage until it gets some major work.

cyanidewolf posted:

Thing about loot is that the containers never contain anything. All loot I've found has been on tables etc. clearly visible, but only if you know to look for it among all the static debris. And once you find one of those keys then, at the end of that rainbow is the treasure. Not ignoring zombies is a thing in this game, unlike DayZ.

Don't loot static containers, you're wasting your time.

I played for 3 hours total and found one of those .308 rifles, an AR15, four M1911s, some ammo, tons of metal, more tools and melee weapons than I can count and a bunch of other crap.

SuicideSnowman
Jul 26, 2003
Yeah I don't even bother looking in containers anymore. I'll check garbage cans for twine sometimes to make the better bow but that's about it. All the good loot is generally just laying out in the open. You have to know what it looks like though because otherwise you'll miss things. It's easy to miss ammo for example. Also, if you're looking for food break up the wooden crates in cabins, houses and grocery stores. If they're going to leave the container loot the way it is they need to remove the "timer" to open them because it's a huge waste of time.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

I find that if there are no zombies around a building it's probably been picked clean, the areas close to respawn locations are pretty much dead zones wrt loot

I really hope they add visual cues to show if a container has been ransacked

Johnnyonoes
Feb 4, 2008
Hates people, but likes groups

Republicans posted:

Being unable to easily identify allies sounds like one of the things the crazy people who play these games demands. Instead they want more hand gestures so allies can identify each other with a double chest-bump into a middle finger.

Also I want walkie talkies.

"Goon Jump"

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
I feel this has probably been brought up countless times and sparked off many a war, but a few of the streamers I watch regularly started picking this up and the game has been residing in the top 5 through twitch since it was released and I'm curious. Exactly how is this any different from DayZ, or what is the draw of it versus the other survival games like DayZ, Rust, and so on?

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I think there's an unfilled niche for a non-janky DayZ clone.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TOOT BOOT posted:

I think there's an unfilled niche for a non-janky DayZ clone.

Right, but is that what this is? I'd love to hear some trip reports.

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop

nessin posted:

I feel this has probably been brought up countless times and sparked off many a war, but a few of the streamers I watch regularly started picking this up and the game has been residing in the top 5 through twitch since it was released and I'm curious. Exactly how is this any different from DayZ, or what is the draw of it versus the other survival games like DayZ, Rust, and so on?

Its on a solid engine backed by a triple A (though they are at times one of the more dishonest and headache inducing ones) studio and not a random team working on a shoestring.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The problem is the genre is 100% based on "emergent gameplay" which means there isn't a game

Kevlar Beard
Feb 20, 2010

nessin posted:

It's in a better state day-z standalone was in on release with a decent engine and rudimentary building.

Also, zombies that can actually do things and are useful to kill

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Turtlicious posted:

Right, but is that what this is? I'd love to hear some trip reports.

Its closer to WarZ than DayZ.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

nessin posted:

It's new so it's popular right now. The engine is a bit stronger than DayZ in my opinion but it's still pretty alpha so we'll see what happens in the coming weeks/months.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The problem is the genre is 100% based on "emergent gameplay" which means there isn't a game

Yeah this is really why I'm interested in seeing what a big dev studio does with the genre, maybe they'll implement actual gamey stuff like custom factions and meaningful territory control

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Looting cache keys off zombies is a start.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Flavahbeast posted:

Yeah this is really why I'm interested in seeing what a big dev studio does with the genre, maybe they'll implement actual gamey stuff like custom factions and meaningful territory control

Maybe a real game studio will. But this is SoE.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Republicans posted:

Looting cache keys off zombies is a start.

How do those work, do they give you /loc coordinates to dig up the treasure? Treasure maps were pretty fun in UO and Darkfall so its cool if soe is taking cues from them

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Flavahbeast posted:

How do those work, do they give you /loc coordinates to dig up the treasure? Treasure maps were pretty fun in UO and Darkfall so its cool if soe is taking cues from them

They just tell you the POI to go to. You can find them on the maps.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
The goonbase is beginning to look like a real Somalian slum. As is tradition.

Shadefyre
Jan 6, 2010

Flavahbeast posted:

Nether got both of these things, and it didn't help. Of course, the investors buying up the game from the team and handing it off to a money-extraction-focused team probably didn't help either.

Kizurue
Apr 5, 2006

There's somethin' fishy goin' on here...

Kimsemus posted:

The goonbase is beginning to look like a real Somalian slum. As is tradition.

So goonbase has evolved into Detroit? Or would it be devolved?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kizurue posted:

So goonbase has evolved into Detroit? Or would it be devolved?

It's living up to it's name essentially. It's also getting really crowded and 50% of the goons never leave the base, so I predict that it's only a matter of time before splinters begin forming.

• Locked thread