Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
trying to bullrush someone who can gouge concrete with their bare hands is perhaps not the best idea - unless Allison is really out of training, all she needs to do is instinctively slam her arms shut, and Mary will have all her ribs broken. The doorframe would probably be in pieces too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyld Karde
Mar 18, 2013

She's so ~dreamy~
Mary's been exposed and is looking to escape so she's counting on surprise to get her past Alison and away. If Alison hadn't been so on the ball with the plaster dust I imagine Mary would've just waited for an opportunity to quietly slip out. Plus, Mary's a lot more battle hardened than when she and Alison last met, so it's possible that Alison's first instinctive counter would take into account the squishy Mary she knows, rather than the more ruthless woman she's dealing with.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

We need to get into the habit of going HEY GUYS NEW STRIP before launching into discussion, I think.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

MikeJF posted:

We need to get into the habit of going HEY GUYS NEW STRIP before launching into discussion, I think.

Why? The schedule's regular. Tuesdays and Fridays, new stuff to talk about.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
recognizing an invisibility superpower is clearly something they trained Allison for - she immediately moved to that conclusion rather than "the killer already got away" or "the killer jumped out of the window" or "the killer is hiding in the closet or under the bed"

so it's reasonable that they've trained Mary/Moonshadow for ways to handle, or at least mitigate, superstrength and invulnerability. so that might show up next Tuesday.

It's weird as it starts though.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.

ronya posted:

recognizing an invisibility superpower is clearly something they trained Allison for - she immediately moved to that conclusion rather than "the killer already got away" or "the killer jumped out of the window" or "the killer is hiding in the closet or under the bed"

Well, there's been an invisible slasher cutting rapist's throats as well. Alison has definitely seen that in the news. She may have been trained in how to handle invisible people, but it's also possible she just connected the dots.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Alternatively, she just breaks walls and spreads plaster everywhere whenever she stumbles upon a corpse.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
To me Alison's dust blowing looked like she had done that before. No idea if it was in action or in practice.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
It's probably both of those things. The news has been saying it's either an invisible or telekinetic killer, and she's probably had experience dealing with invisible people, so she acted on that experience given the strong likelihood that an invisible killer would still be in the room if the blood hadn't even hit the floor yet.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

idonotlikepeas posted:

She didn't say she needed Kaylee to ask her to kill them. Moonshadow actually ignored her when she told her to kill them. She said she needed to hear their names in her voice, and that it had to be the truth. It's the truth she seems to be interested in, perhaps not the specific action of having the victim ask her personally to do it (although we may yet find that that happened in the other cases too).
Maybe Moonshadow has the power to detect lies by listening to someone say something? If they believe its true, she hears it as true. Which is why she has to talk to the victims, to make sure they at least believe what they're saying is the truth.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I think you're reading too much into that particular request. Moonshadow may just have felt like being melodramatic while using her entirely ordinary (for a self-righteous murderess) judgment to determine first-hand the credibility of Kaylee's testimony.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Slashrat posted:

I think you're reading too much into that particular request.
More wild speculation in the SFP thread? Put it on the shelf next to ghost Mary, contract-only killing and Cleaver-knives

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jackard posted:

More wild speculation in the SFP thread? Put it on the shelf next to ghost Mary, contract-only killing and Cleaver-knives

I'm sticking by Cleaver-knives :colbert:

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

The threat to Alison probably isn't physical in this chapter!

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Jackard posted:

The threat to Alison probably isn't physical in this chapter!

Well sure, but I still hold hope that, at some point, the knife will be revealed to be special Alison-cutting material.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Other than, say, mind control, can Allison actually be killed or stopped by anything short of a WMD? I'm not convinced that she could. The only thing I can imagine is obsidian-coated frag grenades or warheads, considering obsidian shards can be down to three microns wide, which I think is under her invincibility limit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Invincible or not, you still gotta breath.

So, cut her throat with cleaversharp stuff, teleport her into space, theoretically you could gas her in a "replace all the oxygen" way rather than a poison way but you'd probably have to do that in her sleep or else she'd just like, jump out.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

I wonder if she's ever tried holding her breath to see how long she could last. You'd think her blood must have a pretty amazing oxygen saturation level to fuel that super strength.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

It's not clear that anything but Cleaver's actual blades would be able to cut her. They are specifically noted to be less than three microns across, plus they have substantial weight behind them; I'm not sure even obsidian fragments would do the job, although they certainly might irritate her skin. We haven't seen or heard of anything else that's that sharp yet, and everyone seemed pretty shocked that even as sharp as Cleaver's blades were, they were able to do anything to her. There may be other things in the universe that can injure her, but they would have to be ridiculously rare. Keep in mind that in several years of active superhero work, that fight with Cleaver that we saw is the only time that Alison was ever even injured. And that's while constantly going up against the people who were theoretically some of the most powerful superhumans in the country.

In terms of concussive force, we literally have no data. What would happen if you dropped a bomb right on her head? She might just get up. She might not even be knocked down in the first place (although her weight isn't affected, so she can definitely be knocked around). It definitely seems like indirect things like cutting off her oxygen are the best option, but even that is going to be horribly tricky; if you can't cut her, you'd have to restrain her somehow in an area with no breathable air, and we don't know if there's any such thing as a restraint she can't eventually break.

I think a lot of this stuff just falls under the heading of "who knows", which is probably why the government has taken the approach of giving her free medical care and generally being nice to her so that she stays on their side.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

McSpanky posted:

I wonder if she's ever tried holding her breath to see how long she could last. You'd think her blood must have a pretty amazing oxygen saturation level to fuel that super strength.

Admittedly the only info about her power and how it works came from the scene where her doctor pointed out that her body worked basically the same as anyone else's on the inside.
She doesn't break her bed when she sleeps, she doesn't seem to eat a ton of food or need to, and she isn't hyper-dense, or she'd crack concrete as she walked and fall through floors. There's been no hint that she feels different, nobody who hugs her says her skin feels hard as stone or anything.

So my speculation is some kind of non-physical 'force' centered in her skin and bones that make her so strong and tough, but that leave her otherwise entirely normal.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

What would you even call that superpower anyway, where her incredible strength/resilience is purely some subconscious psychic defense? Psychosomatic? Autotelekinesis?

Mind control would probably weaken or nullify it entirely? So it's not the brutes Alison has to watch out for

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jan 18, 2015

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Autonomic Somadynamism, maybe?

It's definitely not a matter of muscle mass. Cleaver gets his strength from that, which is why he's a twenty-foot-tall monster. Alison just looks like anyone else. So, yeah, there must be some kind of Weird poo poo going on and, as the doctor pointed out, it's under her control on some level. It might be more like a "breathing" level, though, where you can't just kill yourself by holding your breath really hard, so whether mind control could shut it down would depend on how mind control works in this universe. (Can you mind control someone's heart into stopping?)

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

idonotlikepeas posted:

So whether mind control could shut it down would depend on how mind control works in this universe. (Can you mind control someone's heart into stopping?)
I guess it depends on age (since their powers develop over time) and/or how skilled you are at mind control.

Good thing Patrick is on her side!?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
but he can't actually do mind control

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Tollymain posted:

but he can't actually do mind control
He says he can't actually do mind control.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Mars4523 posted:

He says he can't actually do mind control.
also add a "yet" to that - developing powers.

Jackard fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 18, 2015

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i guess i feel it would go against the themes of the story for patrick to be outright lying to allison (as opposed to omitting his ongoing gray work)

also, idk why people always make this assumption that being able to sense and interpret people's thoughts would in any way indicate they can control them. it's like "i have ears, why can't i make people say what i want them to"

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

i guess i feel it would go against the themes of the story for patrick to be outright lying to allison (as opposed to omitting his ongoing gray work)

also, idk why people always make this assumption that being able to sense and interpret people's thoughts would in any way indicate they can control them. it's like "i have ears, why can't i make people say what i want them to"
It's not just that he can hear their thoughts, he can read even their deepest, most shameful poo poo. He knows exactly what motivates each and every person he comes in contact with.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah he's absurdly capable of subversion and blackmail but that's not what folks mean when they say mind control right now :v:

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

idonotlikepeas posted:

Autonomic Somadynamism, maybe?

In most places I've seen it come up, it's called 'tactile telekinesis' because it's tk that requires physical contact vs the typical 'move it with your mind' flavor of tk.

But I like your name for it so much better! :buddy:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Error 404 posted:

In most places I've seen it come up, it's called 'tactile telekinesis' because it's tk that requires physical contact vs the typical 'move it with your mind' flavor of tk.

But I like your name for it so much better! :buddy:

I remember when every other line from Superboy was about his tactile telekinesis...I'm glad that they just decided to go with a more scientific classification.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

reignonyourparade posted:

So, cut her throat with cleaversharp stuff, teleport her into space, theoretically you could gas her in a "replace all the oxygen" way rather than a poison way but you'd probably have to do that in her sleep or else she'd just like, jump out.

There are a number of gases which will asphyxiate you but not cause a choking reaction. A quick google gives nitrogen, helium, neon, argon, sulphur hexafluoride, and methane. But I'm sure carbon monoxide would work as well.

So you could quietly fill a room with one of those gases and she would die without ever knowing she was in danger.

quote:

...the gas acts as a simple diluent to reduce oxygen concentration in inspired gas and blood to dangerously low levels, thereby eventually depriving all cells in the body of oxygen.[1]

According to the U.S. Chemical Safety and Hazard Investigation Board, in humans, “breathing an oxygen deficient atmosphere can have serious and immediate effects, including unconsciousness after only one or two breaths

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Tollymain posted:

yeah he's absurdly capable of subversion and blackmail but that's not what folks mean when they say mind control right now :v:
He's probably not going to develop mind control anyways because that would sort of undermine the title "Strong Female Protagonist"

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Jackard posted:

He's probably not going to develop mind control anyways because that would sort of undermine the title "Strong Female Protagonist"

Also he outright states that not having mind control is one of the deepest ironies of his powers. He can manipulate people not because he can control their minds, but precisely because he knows the juiciest cut of meat to tempt them with. It's not mind control, but it may as well be.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I gotta wonder if Moonshadow intended to be ID'ed by Allison right there. While showing her eyes would certainly suggest it was, I can't imagine that she wouldn't have a hard time from the exposure that she'd get if the next thing Allison does is go to the police and press and say "Moonshadow is the Invisible Vigilante Slasher" (and why wouldn't she, aside from maybe plot-mandated stupidity?)

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Depending on how strong her invisibility is (hiding her temperature etc.) would it even matter that she's outed? Keep in mind Moonshadow is a deranged serial killer, she probably craves the attention. Probably wants to prove to the world she's now a better super than Mega Girl, killing right under her nose and getting away with it.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

nimby posted:

Depending on how strong her invisibility is (hiding her temperature etc.) would it even matter that she's outed? Keep in mind Moonshadow is a deranged serial killer, she probably craves the attention. Probably wants to prove to the world she's now a better super than Mega Girl, killing right under her nose and getting away with it.

Yeah, she's on a full fledged power trip now. Trying to outsmart and out play the person she has a huge grudge against deliberately is something I expected her to do at some point this chapter.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Plus you have to wonder what obligation Allison has to do a drat thing about Moonshadow. She quit the superhero business. Unless she wants to do it personally in which case she might keep quiet until she can warn Pintsize and Batboy (Sonar?).

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

She doesn't have an obligation to do anything, but if there's one thing we've seen about her it's that she's unable to not involve herself in stuff like this. She's not going to just let Moonshadow murder someone and then stab someone else right in front of her without doing anything about it.

And yeah, it does kind of feel like a deliberate challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

idonotlikepeas posted:

She doesn't have an obligation to do anything, but if there's one thing we've seen about her it's that she's unable to not involve herself in stuff like this. She's not going to just let Moonshadow murder someone and then stab someone else right in front of her without doing anything about it.

And yeah, it does kind of feel like a deliberate challenge.

Not to mention regardless of what she does, the media's gonna have a loving field day. So she might as well try to help.

• Locked thread