Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was going to ask if it was truly that difficult to cut bacon with a knife, but then I figured that the cleanup of a pair of shears vs a knife and cutting board is probably just a scoonch less.

Good on you guys, I suppose. I'll stick ta th' ol' knifey-boardy, myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuzzy_logic
May 2, 2009

unfortunately hideous and irreverislbe

Thanks for the replies, I'll sharpen everything up and try again. Although this maybe a good excuse to pick up a bigass chef's knife like I've been wanting ...

UnbearablyBlight
Nov 4, 2009

hello i am your heart how nice to meet you

Mortley posted:

Does anybody have a recommendation or Internet resource for someone in my situation? I'm not overly concerned with the ethics, but I am interested in incorporating more and more vegan food into my diet because of lactose intolerance and a preference for vegetarian foods regardless. So far, I've been eating a lot of processed foods (e.g. soy-based taco meat) which I'm not proud of - I guess I don't have a lot of confidence in my ability to cook unprocessed foods to my satisfaction. I'd kinda rather just eat a raw bell pepper than try to spice and jazz it up, but just veggies doesn't leave me full - at least, not yet, since I've only been on this kick for a couple weeks and I'm sure I'm still more physiologically accustomed to eating less healthfully.
One exception is a lentil and rice dish made in my rice cooker, steaming frozen veggies in the compartment above, but I don't always nail the spices and sometimes it's flavorless mush.

For becoming more comfortable with spices and vegan/vegetarian ingredients, check out the "Help! I'm poor and want to make good food" thread and the South Indian Food thread. The Low Budget Vegetarian book is good too.

E. OH! There was a vegan thread, too

UnbearablyBlight fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 18, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I was given a couple pounds of beets, straight out of the ground. I have access to an electric stovetop, but no oven or anything.

What are some things I can prepare, I've only ever roasted beets (which are delicious)? Do I treat them like onions or potatoes as far as preparation goes?

I have beans and stock and other veggies, so I know I can make stews and junk, but is there anything beyond boiling a beet that is good?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Boil a borsht.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

There's an Ethiopian thing with beets and I'm super obsessed about it lately

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

There's an Ethiopian thing with beets and I'm super obsessed about it lately

Just a normal diced beets with berbere stuff, or drizzled with lemon juice and mixed with onions, or is it something else entirely?

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.
Beet Risotto is awesome. It's pretty well a normal risotto just purple.

Basic slapdash recipe is :
Make a risotto with a mix of beetroot juice and stock instead of just stock.
Pickle some small beetroot cubes to top it.
Add some shavings of fennel and a small globe of horseradish.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Esme posted:

For becoming more comfortable with spices and vegan/vegetarian ingredients, check out the "Help! I'm poor and want to make good food" thread and the South Indian Food thread. The Low Budget Vegetarian book is good too.

E. OH! There was a vegan thread, too

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

I have 1 pie pumpkin. Any ideas of what I can make with it?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Bananana posted:

I have 1 pie pumpkin. Any ideas of what I can make with it?

A latte, a milkshake, a cookie, ice cream. At least if marketing in November is to be believed.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well all the good eats episodes have been taken down but there was one where Alton make a colonial pumpkin pie by filling it with stuff like a bread bowl and baking it

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I stuff pumpkins with toasted bread, mushrooms, tiny bit of crushed garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and gruyere in layers. Then pour in cream to fill and layer bacon on top, put the lid on, and bake until the whole thing is cooked through. Delicious and perfect in every way. Variations on that theme are good, too.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I've been messing around with a baked chicken breast recipe where I coat the chicken in an egg/honey mix then cover with crushed walnuts. I've tried it with cinnamon and nutmeg, but it still seems a little bit lacking. Any suggestions for ingredients or spices to take it to the next level?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ron Don Volante posted:

I've been messing around with a baked chicken breast recipe where I coat the chicken in an egg/honey mix then cover with crushed walnuts. I've tried it with cinnamon and nutmeg, but it still seems a little bit lacking. Any suggestions for ingredients or spices to take it to the next level?

cumin and cayenne?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Ron Don Volante posted:

Hmmm, I'd try stuffing it. For the stuffing I'd use a strong, nutty emmentaler and some finely chopped mushrooms sauteed in butter.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I stuff pumpkins with toasted bread, mushrooms, tiny bit of crushed garlic, smoked paprika, salt and pepper, and gruyere in layers. Then pour in cream to fill and layer bacon on top, put the lid on, and bake until the whole thing is cooked through. Delicious and perfect in every way. Variations on that theme are good, too.

Stuffed pumpkin sounds like a great idea. Hope the pumpkin is still good. I've had it for like... 2 and a half months. Still looks good on the outside. :shrug:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

The Bananana posted:

Stuffed pumpkin sounds like a great idea. Hope the pumpkin is still good. I've had it for like... 2 and a half months. Still looks good on the outside. :shrug:

Pumpkins and similar gourds can be stored from 3 to 6 months, and even beyond, depending on the variety and storage conditions. Have you had it in a cool dry place out of sunlight?

franco
Jan 3, 2003

I did soup and your method was great (sadly no pic) - thanks! :)

Followed up with a tofu dengaku using this recipe.

I'd stupidly bought silken tofu rather than firm so resorted to the freezer thing which...didn't work out as well as the last time I did that. So it's not much to look at but was delicious. Great idea!

So my slightly out of date miso is all gone and I haven't died 24 hours later. All is good. I blame my dad, who was a child during WW2 food rationing in the UK, he's made me hate the idea of wasting ANYTHING.

Cheers again to you both :cool:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Suspect Bucket posted:

Pumpkins and similar gourds can be stored from 3 to 6 months, and even beyond, depending on the variety and storage conditions. Have you had it in a cool dry place out of sunlight?

Hide them from your dogs. We had them on a spare counter, dog got one. Hid them in a closet upstairs. Dog got another one.

Nothing like coming home to your dog sitting on your bed eating a squash, seeds all over the drat place. Or taking your dog out for a walk, seeing their crap being 50% seeds, and then going home and playing "find the half eaten squash".

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Bob Morales posted:

Hide them from your dogs. We had them on a spare counter, dog got one. Hid them in a closet upstairs. Dog got another one.

Nothing like coming home to your dog sitting on your bed eating a squash, seeds all over the drat place. Or taking your dog out for a walk, seeing their crap being 50% seeds, and then going home and playing "find the half eaten squash".

On the other hand, it's good for their digestion. Lots of fiber. It's a good treat if they like it! Just not a whole one.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise

The Bananana posted:

In my experience the outside is the real tell of its quality, but maybe I've been lucky. I bought a butternut in early October and got around to making a risotto with it a few days ago, and it was just sitting on my counter the whole time.

The pumpkin we got at the same time however went from "looks just fine" to completely deflated and liquid within 24 hours. That one was stored outside so I'd have thought it would have lasted longer.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
The best pumpkin storage I've seen is keep it in a cardboard box in the garage, surrounded by hay or straw. Check weekly for nibbles or rot.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Kind of a dumb question but does anyone know of a website or a good way to get a replacement lid for a Black and Decker RC436 rice cooker? My brother gave me his old one and either I lost the lid, or it never had one to begin with. Amazon has the whole thing for $30 and the cheapest I've found just a lid is $24 with shipping, so I might just not gently caress with it. But I'd appreciate a hook up if anyone knows of one! Next option is calling around thrift stores.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I just made the Carbonara recipe on the wiki last night, but after the fact we both had some nausea and she threw up this morning. Is there a substitute for the eggs coating the noodles?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

KettleWL posted:

Kind of a dumb question but does anyone know of a website or a good way to get a replacement lid for a Black and Decker RC436 rice cooker? My brother gave me his old one and either I lost the lid, or it never had one to begin with. Amazon has the whole thing for $30 and the cheapest I've found just a lid is $24 with shipping, so I might just not gently caress with it. But I'd appreciate a hook up if anyone knows of one! Next option is calling around thrift stores.

Just get a new rice cooker.

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I just made the Carbonara recipe on the wiki last night, but after the fact we both had some nausea and she threw up this morning. Is there a substitute for the eggs coating the noodles?

Use better eggs.

Either you just got unlucky or it wasn't the eggs at all.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Herr Tog posted:

so I am trying to follow this:http://www.goonswithspoons.com/Carnitas

But I ended up with 3 and a half pounds of pork butt and can't find Annato/achiote to save my life. Please advise

Useing this recipe again, thank y'all.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You've currently got something like a one in fifty thousand chance of buying a bad egg in the US, so it's possible but not particularly likely that the eggs were the source of the problem. If you're really worried about it, get a pot of water boiling and dunk the eggs in for just under a minute. That'll kill anything on the outside of the egg but it won't set the whites. Since the vast majority of what egg contamination there is is surface contamination, this'll take care it. Your chances of having a bad egg (that is, an egg that's internally contaminated) are now, I believe, on the order of tens of millions to one against.

And if you're just absolutely worried about it, just learn to time it better. Your eggs will start to set at around 160 F/71 C. According to the USDA, you get a 6.5-log10 lethality of salmonella by holding at 150 F/65 C for just over a minute, or 155 F/68 C for just under half a minute. So throw your eggs on the pasta when it's just under 160 F/71 C and it doesn't matter if you've won the egg lottery or not.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Congratulations, you're going to have a baby!

Seriously though, carbonara is a recipe with like four ingredients. If you don't want to eat one of those four, you're better off making a different recipe. This is like asking for a substitute for rice in sushi. At that point you should really not bother trying to make sushi at all. There are lots of other great foods you can eat.

Nicol Bolas
Feb 13, 2009

KettleWL posted:

I'm not 100% sure if this would work, as I do not own and have never used a rice cooker, but could you wrap it tightly with saran wrap / tin foil / saran wrap and then tin foil to keep steam in & make it functional again?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

you just want something that's not a carbonara at that point, but still simple, which is cool. It's not a hamburger if it's a hotdog, type of thing.

You can get yelled at by everyone here and use that eggs in a milk carton stuff, I think they're called 'egg beaters' (I've never used these), or just use some extra butter/bacon fat to sexify those noodles up a bit. Otherwise you could make a melted mixture of cream/fatty milk and cheese (usually parmesan) that you could pour over the noodles like you would the eggs.

One of my favourite simple noodle dishes is called Turos Csusza, which is noodles, (american) cottage cheese, and bacon and onion - you can add sour cream to make it even creamier if you want, or if you just have dry curd cheese -, which is totally fuckin' rad. It's basically what carbonara would be if you subbed out the eggs and cheese.

You can even substitute sugar and/or raisins instead of bacon to the cottage cheese/cream and make it a dessert dish, which is also fuckin' awesome.

edit: If I'm making a honey sauce, but find it too sweet, what's a good liquid to replace the extra honey with that won't overpower anything? Water? More oil? I'm using something like this recipe. I need that amount of sauce, but don't want that extra sweetness.

For the Honey Garlic Sauce
2 tbsp olive oil
3 – 4 cloves minced garlic
1 cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce
1 tsp ground black pepper

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Jan 20, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Edit: phone button hard

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jan 20, 2015

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Replace the honey w a mixture of equal parts honey mirin and rice wine vinegar maybe? You didn't say what it was for.

You also might not be enjoying the particular flavor of honey you have, you could also sub some or all of the honey for agave nectar which is similar but a lot less strongly flavored than most honeys.

Alternatively if you tried a recipe and didn't like it, try out a new recipe next time, it's an adventure!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

KettleWL posted:

But I'd appreciate a hook up if anyone knows of one!
http://www.spectrumbrandsparts.com/p-3744-rc436-16-cup-rice-cooker.aspx

Black & Decker's official replacement parts supplier for kitchen stuff.

e: drat, looks like its out of stock. Yeah, I got nothing. I think any lid of the right size (with a vent) would work so maybe try a kitchen store, but at $30 for a new one I'd just go for that.

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 20, 2015

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

pile of brown posted:

Edit: phone button hard

Chicken or pork and stuff. I just don't want it quite so sweet. I don't think I've ever had agave, it's a sweetener, too, right?

Mirin is interesting - I wouldn't have thought of that -, and I may try with wine vinegar or tomato puree, too. I'll just make little bits of each kind of thing I can think about and see which one I like best. Thanks.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

http://www.spectrumbrandsparts.com/p-3744-rc436-16-cup-rice-cooker.aspx

Black & Decker's official replacement parts supplier for kitchen stuff.

e: drat, looks like its out of stock. Yeah, I got nothing. I think any lid of the right size (with a vent) would work so maybe try a kitchen store, but at $30 for a new one I'd just go for that.

Dope, thank you. I'll probably keep checking it and look around local for some lids that should fit, I've made it this long without a rice cooker so I don't feel lost without it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Just get a new rice cooker.

Also appreciate this answer, because it encourages me to buy more kitchen poo poo which I definitely am on board with!

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!

toe knee hand posted:

Use better eggs.

Either you just got unlucky or it wasn't the eggs at all.

Yeah, seconding this. I know getting sick can result in an aversion to the food you associate with being sick, but hopefully not, and you can just carbonara as normal next time. It's too tasty a dish to deprive yourself of. I've made it a bunch of times, never gotten sick.

Until you next give it a shot though, you can make a nice pasta sauce with just cheese and pasta water, you just have to get a hang of how much pasta water to use and use more cheese. A pasta dish like cacio e pepe uses solely oil, water, and cheese to make the sauce: http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Cheese-and-Pepper-Pasta-Cacio-e-Pepe

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I was watching Bizarre Foods the other day and he was in some Texas hill country area. What he had there was a Mexican appetizer of what looked like goad cheese covered in a spiced caramel sauce and served with toast. I thought he said the name of the dish was pillioncillo, but I thought that was the name for those sugar cones. Any idea what this actually was and any good recipes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

I was watching Bizarre Foods the other day and he was in some Texas hill country area. What he had there was a Mexican appetizer of what looked like goad cheese covered in a spiced caramel sauce and served with toast. I thought he said the name of the dish was pillioncillo, but I thought that was the name for those sugar cones. Any idea what this actually was and any good recipes?

I believe that's a dish that uses papaya as well but I can't remember the name.