Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

RandallODim posted:

If you think we're ever seeing Aracely again whether Kaine dies or not, well, I wish I had your optimism.

They can show up in Amazing X-Men since Yost is writing that, right? Later this year we'll totally have that Aztec Gods arc Yost was building up, right?

:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Yvonmukluk posted:

I'm surprised to see you think Spider-Girl is going to stick around, I thought you hated her.

I don't think Tom DeFalco is a good writer or should be anywhere on a book post 1999 but there isn't inherently anything wrong with the character if they were given a good creative them and a relevant supporting cast.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

I don't think Tom DeFalco is a good writer or should be anywhere on a book post 1999 but there isn't inherently anything wrong with the character if they were given a good creative them and a relevant supporting cast.
I can see your point, I think a new creative team could definitely draw in some new readers. I mean Stan Lee stopped writing ASM at what, 100 issues? But I don't know if Marvel would be willing to put new writers on it, or for that matter DeFalco and Frenz would be willing to let somebody else do it after Slott's shall we say controversial handling of the character. I'm not sure who would be a good pick for that, honestly. Sean McKeever wrote her before and has proven he can write teen drama well with Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane, but I doubt he's a big name draw. I don't think any of the big names would want such a niche book. G. Willow Wilson would probably be great, but I don't know how busy she is with other stuff.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

DeFalco and Frenz don't really have a say in who writes Marvels characters and McKeever hasn't done anything good in years. Really there's no reason the Silk or Spider-Gwen* ongoings couldn't have just been a Spider-Girl book with the same creative team. I'd say the same with the upcoming "mini" relaunch of Spider-Woman

*Other than the fact that Spider-Gwens costume is way better.

The only thing stopping Spider-Girl from advancing is people refusing to let the 90's go.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

He's done a good job of it so far, what with writing what 70 or so issues of just Peter (excluding the BND stories) and the 30 or so issues of Spock.

I wouldn't call the character Slott wrote in any of those issues "Peter Parker". Maybe Weird Offputting Manchild.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
http://www.justsayah.com/art/20810/Spider-Gwen/

Yay. Adam Hughes doing Spider Gwen covers!

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

JediTalentAgent posted:

I'm not sure how big a thing it is/was in reality, though.

Lucha libre is real life comics:

quote:

One of Santo's greatest matches was in 1952, when he fought a tag-team known as Los Hermanos Shadow (which consisted of famed luchadors Blue Demon and the Black Shadow). Santo beat and unmasked Black Shadow in the ring, which triggered Blue Demon's decision to become a técnico, as well as a legendary feud between Blue Demon and Santo that culminated in Santo's defeat in a well-publicized series of matches in 1952 and again in 1953. Although they appeared together in a number of action/adventure films, their rivalry never really ended in later years since Santo always remembered his defeat at Blue Demon's hands

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lurdiak posted:

I wouldn't call the character Slott wrote in any of those issues "Peter Parker". Maybe Weird Offputting Manchild.

But that's exactly what Peter Parker is

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Blockhouse posted:

But that's exactly what Peter Parker is

Only post BND.

Also that time he was rebooted in the 90's.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

And during the early 00's, and before being rebooted in the 90's, and during the 80's, and during the 70's, and...

The only time Peter hasn't been manchild was the period where he was technically still a child.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Stretching the definition of manchild a bit here.

Though the early 2000's are basically still the reboot era so I don't know why they should be stated as two different times.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Not really. The book was rebooted in the 90's and Ben replaced him. He was brought back and Ben was killed and then the book was rebooted again in the early 00's with MJ getting "killed" so he could be single for a while.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Not really. The book was rebooted in the 90's and Ben replaced him. He was brought back and Ben was killed and then the book was rebooted again in the early 00's with MJ getting "killed" so he could be single for a while.

What's the JMS run where he resolves his marital problems (at least til OMD) and holds down a teaching job, chopped liver?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yvonmukluk posted:

What's the JMS run where he resolves his marital problems (at least til OMD) and holds down a teaching job, chopped liver?

Terrible.

(Sins Past is worse than any manchilding)

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Only post BND.

Also that time he was rebooted in the 90's.

I don't even know what to tell you if you think Peter Parker wasn't ever the guy who one time punch a chimney into rubble cause he was just so mad over girlfriends

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Yeah I don't know what definition of manchild yall are using.

I mean I guess it has become kind of a nebulous term and all so I shouldn't be surprised.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I hope the next version of Peter involves him growing a neckbeard and wearing a Spider-fedora.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Rhyno posted:

I hope the next version of Peter involves him growing a neckbeard and wearing a Spider-fedora.

"Welcome to my world of Spider-Atheism, feminazis!"

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Metal Loaf posted:

"Welcome to my world of Spider-Atheism, feminazis!"

"My Aspergers-Sense is tingling!"

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

Rhyno posted:

"My Aspergers-Sense is tingling!"

"I'm Spider-meninist, you see. Men finally have their savior."

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in webslinging.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"This is my gift, my curse. Who am I? I'm Spider-Knight and how dare you defame her character good Sir."

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

TwoPair posted:

Actually, it's about ethics in webslinging.

Photojournalism.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

I can't believe MJ put me in the friendzone after that deal with satan.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

I can't believe MJ put me in the friendzone after that deal with satan.

And then Aunt May made me move out of the basement just because she found a new boyfriend.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Ben... :smith:

And once again, Peter does poo poo to move the plot forward.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 21, 2015

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Yeah if only the made a point of highlighting how Peter isn't the main character and had the characters discuss this out loud and title the other important characters in the story.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Yeah if only the made a point of highlighting how Peter isn't the main character and had the characters discuss this out loud and title the other important characters in the story.

Well, I'm reading a book called Amazing Spiderman so I was expecting for him to be an important part of the story. As the story stands now you could remove Peter and the story wouldn't have any significative changes.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Ben... :smith:

And once again, Peter does poo poo to move the plot forward.
Well at least DeFalco's established that this Spider-Girl is not the one from MC2. I wouldn't be surprised if, in the event there's a MC2 spinoff in Secret Wars (which they'd probably give to him), he'll completely ignore Spider-Verse as far as Mayday is concerned. I mean...she HAS to be there, right? She's MC2's flagship character (well, maybe runner-up to J2).

Also I guess Ben Reilly might not be dead? We never saw his body and his last thought was 'I think there's a way out of this'...

Not to mention the rather antimclimatic Jobbing of Solus to Kaine, who then gets jobbed in turn. What?! Solus ate Captain Universe & fragged Leopardon, while Kaine couldn't defeat Daemos at the outset even with him channeling the Other, and now boom, he's just drops Solus immediately?. And then Morlun kills(?) Kaine, who just killed the aforementioned guy who ate Captain Universe. A little consistency would be nice. Also: Silk is terrible and Spider-Gwen uncharacteristically enables her stupidity. Then freaking Spider-Ock is the one to talk Spider-Ben into action-dammit, that's the one thing 616 Peter could do that none of the alternate Spideys in the vault could, since they weren't Peter Parker, and Slott STILL gives SpOck the job! Then Slott shoves in the hackneyed 'THE DIE IS CAST' meme the internet was so fond of, only for Peter to steal the Amazing Friends' catchphrase. And we're off to the final battle we've already seen in Spider-Verse #2.

Ugh. I get the feeling Slott wanted to do a big last hurrah of the Spiders, but he's rather epically fumbled the ball.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Well, I'm reading a book called Amazing Spiderman so I was expecting for him to be an important part of the story. As the story stands now you could remove Peter and the story wouldn't have any significative changes.

Pete is there for motivation and team spirit, he's not there for punching.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
I run a Spider-Man panels blog, where I post my favorite panels from the comics as I read through them. I just got to issue #66. Which is gonna be really cool for me because I actually own the copy, and it is also signed by Mr. John Romita himself!

If anyone actually gives a poo poo the blog is here: http://spidermanpanels.tumblr.com/

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waterhaul posted:

Whom he has actually motivated though?

The other Japanese Spidermen were the ones who helped Supaidaman, May doesn't wanna know anything about him, Spiderpunk respects Superior more, Spider UK was the one helping Spiderman India, the Scarlet Spiders did their own thing (same as Miguel), Spider Gwen (stupidly) supported Silk and the one thing Peter should've done (getting uncle Ben back on the game) was done by Spock.

The fact that as soon Peter got involved everything went to poo poo doesn't help either.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Waterhaul posted:

Um...he's still the protagonist that the readers are likely too be most familiar with, and he's done nothing than literally any other Spider could do. Why is he even here? There's two things he, specifically, could have done within the context of the story (convince Ben to join the fight and ID the inheritors' weakness to radiation) that Slott instead gives to his own pet characters.

The nearest analogy to this I can think of is that Brazilian Megaman comic where the writer intended to create his own original character and literally take over the comic, just using the established name as a springboard for his own stories.

Waterhaul posted:

Except it seems like he's provided neither! It was Otto who provided Uncle Ben the motivation to get back into the fight. There seems to be exactly nothing that indicates why Peter should be the leader, except oh, he punched Otto in the face. Even the fact he was apparently the only one to face an inheritor & live has had no effect on things.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Windows 98 posted:

I run a Spider-Man panels blog, where I post my favorite panels from the comics as I read through them. I just got to issue #66. Which is gonna be really cool for me because I actually own the copy, and it is also signed by Mr. John Romita himself!

If anyone actually gives a poo poo the blog is here: http://spidermanpanels.tumblr.com/

Nice. I like this sort of thing. If I'm reading on Comixology I often screenshot funny or weird panels myself. I post them on my blog, but I also post other stuff too.

Here is my Spider-Man stuff: http://infinitetumbleweed.tumblr.com/image/86606203433

This is my favourite though:

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Wait, did Slott just loving kill off Kaine with zero fanfare? What the gently caress made him think that was a good idea?

e: Okay. Just re-read the issue. No way he is/stays dead. Crisis averted for now. :argh:

Genetic Toaster fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jan 21, 2015

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hahahahaha

don't worry it's not the REAL May it's some random OTHER May

loving DeFalco

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Genetic Toaster posted:

Wait, did Slott just loving kill off Kaine with zero fanfare? What the gently caress made him think that was a good idea?

He's clearly not dead.

Dreqqus
Feb 21, 2013

BAMF!
Why does the Anne Rice Fanclub suddenly want to go all multiversal genocide on their food supply all of a sudden?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Dreqqus posted:

Why does the Anne Rice Fanclub suddenly want to go all multiversal genocide on their food supply all of a sudden?

Overfishing is a real problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
I wish they went after other totems. All cutting a swathe through the stupid assholes who make up the Vultures of the Multiverse (whoa "Vultures of the Multiverse" sounds totally rad as a name).

• Locked thread