Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.

Takoluka posted:

Xiahou Ba is SSS+ God Tier in WO3/WO3U, and you should be using him for everything.

Give him a weapon with Osmosis on it (5+, 10 ideal), hit R1, use his EX attack, refill your gauge, repeat literally forever. With Dragon Tongue X, he is incredibly OP even at Lv.1 and literally unstoppable at higher levels. I've promoted him 3 times, giving him tons of crystals for Atk and Spd ups, and he's just unreal.

Hey thanks a lot I'll check him out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
So I started watching The Three Kingdoms (2010)
OP is loving awesome. But what does styled mean? Like Cao Cao often gets called Mengde and onscreen it says that's his style? I get Cao Ahman his babyname. What is Mengde?
Zhang Fei can't die fast enough. Horrible character.
Loving the show so far.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sefal posted:

So I started watching The Three Kingdoms (2010)
OP is loving awesome. But what does styled mean? Like Cao Cao often gets called Mengde and onscreen it says that's his style? I get Cao Ahman his babyname. What is Mengde?
Zhang Fei can't die fast enough. Horrible character.
Loving the show so far.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Courtesy_name

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'm afraid you are going to have to put up with Zhang Fei for a while. I'm enjoying it, but the guy who is Lu Bu looks well not hardened enough for the character.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm afraid you are going to have to put up with Zhang Fei for a while. I'm enjoying it, but the guy who is Lu Bu looks well not hardened enough for the character.

That got me a little yeah. Great show but with how much screen time Lu Bu gets, his actor being that clean looking of a dude was kinda "huh?" I guess.

Also it's always worth posting this when the show's involved.

Cao Cao rules normally and he rules especially hard in the show.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 17, 2015

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It helps show that he's a kid who doesn't know what he's doing.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yardbomb posted:

I am ten minutes into the first episode and this is extremely true already. I love this guy.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yardbomb posted:

That got me a little yeah. Great show but with how much screen time Lu Bu gets, his actor being that clean looking of a dude was kinda "huh?" I guess.
According to the actor (Peter Ho) his casting may have had to do with his height, as the director "wanted someone tall and with a heroic air to take on this role and who can have a little romantic feel as well".

As far as the whole 'pretty' thing though... apparently that's actually closer to Chinese traditional depictions* (although there was 1994 Lu Bu) whereas "big burly brute" seems to have actually originated with Koei's designs...? (Trivia: The last photo in the Tumblr post has opera Zhang Fei.)

Pureauthor posted:

It helps show that he's a kid who doesn't know what he's doing.
From the same interview linked above: the director was specifically going for Lu Bu as "a more naive person", who (incidentally, like TK2010 Yuan Shao come Guandu) "is easily tempted by the plans offered by others", and focusing on the Lu Bu/Diaochan love story while playing down the "killing his foster fathers" because the latter is so cliche in the traditional folklore.

Yardbomb posted:

Also it's always worth posting this when the show's involved.
You left out the most important part!

Yardbomb posted:

He's even the proverbial devil in the Chinese version of 'speak of the devil'.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The DLC for Xteme Legends is 50% off on STEAM right now if you picked the game up for the PC. Now is the best time to save cheap and get Chiang Hai Cao Cao and Lu Bison.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
These DLCs are still quite expensive.

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011
Which DLC has the Elvis costume for Zhang Jiao?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Ryoji posted:

These DLCs are still quite expensive.
I guess they're just following Bamco on this, with the DLC costing more than the game itself.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Achernar posted:

Which DLC has the Elvis costume for Zhang Jiao?

Original Costume Pack, the most expensive one with pretty much a costume for everyone that was in 7. It has some pretty awesome things in it.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Was planning on getting a PS4 sometime this year. Apart from DW8, what other Warriors games exist/are upcoming for it?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

samurai warriors 4! and the upcoming 4-II bullshit

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Darth Walrus posted:

Was planning on getting a PS4 sometime this year. Apart from DW8, what other Warriors games exist/are upcoming for it?

SW4 and 4-2 as mentioned, Orochi 3 Ultimate, 8 Empires, Pirate Warriors 3, Dragon Quest Heroes and Bladestorm ,if that counts.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I noticed Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is coming to the XBox One this year. I know it's a standalone expansion, but does it have all of the content of DW8 and Xtreme Legends as well? Like, what exact content is usually in the Empires expansions?

Or maybe I should go easy on myself and get Hyrule Warriors instead.

I still have to finish watching Three Kingdoms too. I stopped at Episode 55 and haven't had the motivation to get back into it.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Empires games never have the Story/Free mode of the base games. They are their own standalone games (no MixJoy or anything), with a unique mode revolving around conquering a landmass with both might, strategy and policies.

SW2:Empires was the best, in my opinion, in terms of policies and that the AI played by the same rules as the player. Ever since then, the AI has always cheated in one way or another.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Charles Martel posted:

I noticed Dynasty Warriors 8 Empires is coming to the XBox One this year. I know it's a standalone expansion, but does it have all of the content of DW8 and Xtreme Legends as well? Like, what exact content is usually in the Empires expansions?

Or maybe I should go easy on myself and get Hyrule Warriors instead.

I still have to finish watching Three Kingdoms too. I stopped at Episode 55 and haven't had the motivation to get back into it.

The Empires games aren't really expansions as much as they are standalone strategy musou games using the most recent game as an artistic base. It'll use the same maps and art assets and that'll be about all thats the same.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
I see. Thank you both for clarifying.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

SW4 and 4-2 as mentioned, Orochi 3 Ultimate, 8 Empires, Pirate Warriors 3, Dragon Quest Heroes and Bladestorm ,if that counts.

Now which ones of these are actually good is the REAL question!

By the way, what about the PS3 games?

I've played SW4 and Gundam Reborn - I assume it's not worth trying to track down DW:Gundam 1 and 3 (have played 2), but what about Bladestorm and the Fist of the North Star ones?

5-Headed Snake God
Jun 12, 2008

Do you see how he's a cat?

KoldPT posted:

Now which ones of these are actually good is the REAL question!

By the way, what about the PS3 games?

I've played SW4 and Gundam Reborn - I assume it's not worth trying to track down DW:Gundam 1 and 3 (have played 2), but what about Bladestorm and the Fist of the North Star ones?

Bladestorm is a toss-up. Some people love it; others hate it. The first Ken's Rage game is good (its Story Mode goes on a bit long, but its Free Mode and character development system are both great). Ken's Rage 2 should be avoided like the plague.

5-Headed Snake God fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 19, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I like Bladestorm, but they're releasing a new one in March that will hopefully be a lot better so maybe wait for that.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

New Bladestorm is looking like a HD update with a fantasy mode tacked on. Should be super cool but I don't know how much they're changing the base game

Morter posted:

Empires games never have the Story/Free mode of the base games. They are their own standalone games (no MixJoy or anything), with a unique mode revolving around conquering a landmass with both might, strategy and policies.

SW2:Empires was the best, in my opinion, in terms of policies and that the AI played by the same rules as the player. Ever since then, the AI has always cheated in one way or another.

2 would cheat by leveling all their generals up to around your level, despite not having enough battles or policies to have done so

But yeah I agree it's pretty much my favorite of the Empires. There was poo poo that went down that made it seem like a legit strategy game, like, sometimes for the Incident at Honnoji scenario Mitsuhide wouldn't turn on Nobunaga, making a big ol' blob in the middle

Supposedly SW3:E was even better because the capital city infrastructure thing was cool. Of course thats the one that never got localized

I do like how the newer Empires have been including Vagabond/General modes to them, it could use fleshing out (like all of them) but it's still a lot of fun

These are my thoughts on Empires

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Warriors 3 Empires' empire building is the best in the franchise, but SW2 Empires has the best empire management.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I played a bit of Samurai Warriors 4 Chronicle mode and I'm sick of 2 star battles. What do I have to do to up the star ratings to 3+? The 2 star battles are stupid easy and I'm quickly growing bored of them.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unlock more areas or up the difficulty level.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Happy Hedonist posted:

I played a bit of Samurai Warriors 4 Chronicle mode and I'm sick of 2 star battles. What do I have to do to up the star ratings to 3+? The 2 star battles are stupid easy and I'm quickly growing bored of them.

Once you get strong enough, play exclusively on Nightmare until you have to deal with rare weapon battles. If your partner isn't strong enough to survive it, just set them to Wait in a safe spot while you finish the rest. The experience gain in the end helps power-level partner characters, and you'll always get great weapons.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Capcom announced a new Sengoku Basara game in Famitsu this week. Surprise! It's... an updated version of 4 called Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi for PS4 and PS3.

No, this won't come overseas. I will be happy enough to import the PS4 version this Summer.

Ryoji
Sep 1, 2012
This podcast is great to get into the story of the Three Kingdoms:
http://www.3kingdomspodcast.com/

It also has great material for each episode.

Ghost-Slug
Feb 21, 2011

Feeding Tigrex
one Hunter at a time

Lipstick Apathy

Policenaut posted:

Capcom announced a new Sengoku Basara game in Famitsu this week. Surprise! It's... an updated version of 4 called Sengoku Basara 4: Sumeragi for PS4 and PS3.

No, this won't come overseas. I will be happy enough to import the PS4 version this Summer.

Awesome news - I've been waiting for the SB4 expansion to be announced! The seven additional playable characters is actually slightly disappointing though since it means not all of the NPCs of the previous game will be playable. But hey, a new character is always good!

I don't have a PS4 yet so I guess I'll pick this up for PS3. It's a shame it's not for PC/Steam - I think Koei has spoiled me a little.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

This was posted in the Imp Zone thread.

Mazed posted:

some sweet new DLC announced.

It's not actually real, but it's still the most :allears: thing I've seen today.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

SirPhoebos posted:

This was posted in the Imp Zone thread.

It's not actually real, but it's still the most :allears: thing I've seen today.

I just have to post this because I'm on SA and this is from SA and we're all talking about Zelda CD-I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj8_7OFK0oc

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

RentACop posted:

New Bladestorm is looking like a HD update with a fantasy mode tacked on. Should be super cool but I don't know how much they're changing the base game

theres a new bladestorm coming out? dang, i really liked that game.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I'm keen to try the new Bladestorm and DW8:Empires, as well. The original Bladestorm disappointed when it originally came out because I was expecting a traditional DW game set in a western campaign, but I'd like to give it a second chance. Never tried an Empires game, but I've been watching some LPs of the Japanese version on youtube to get a sense of the game and it looks like it could be fun.

ScottyBomb
Oct 24, 2005

Cthulhu loves me, this I know, for ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!!
Finally picked up Hyrule Warriors and hot drat is it a fun game. Not lying when I say it blends a lot of the stuff I love about Zelda with a lot of the stuff I love about the Warriors games. I'm legit hoping this thing does well enough to merit a sequel.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Me, I'm still hoping for a PS4 DWG game. Still mad I missed out on Reborn.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

They probably will, Gundam's had some pretty big things happening in the last year and a half, between Build Fighters, Build Fighters Try, and Reconguista they definitely have enough for another game. Or they'll say "gently caress it" and drop AGE in there. :getin:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AGE was bad but it had some cool mech designs. I liked the Swallow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Endorph posted:

AGE was bad but it had some cool mech designs. I liked the Swallow.

Oh yeah, adding AGE itself without any of the story will be perfect, since it'll add dragon robots as enemy grunts.