Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Cant catch you if you are on fire.

God drat do I regret getting the original Build Burning now :shepspends:. Wait, if they're showing off the kit gimmicks do you have any pictures of the Winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

God drat do I regret getting the original Build Burning now :shepspends:. Wait, if they're showing off the kit gimmicks do you have any pictures of the Winning?
Nope. Its just in its SD form.

You can see the oversized blade better on the gun though.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 18, 2015

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

holy poo poo. this thing has more weapons than the crossbone maoh WITH the crossbone x-1 stuff.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Cant catch you if you are on fire.

uuunnnfff i'm gonna LED the gently caress out of that kit.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
I'm gonna need more red paint.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
For real, is there any way to get new fingers for the Turn A MG? I looked at some spare hands I had lying around but they're all ball-joint, whereas the Turn A hands are sockets, and they're smaller and less articulated than 2.0 or 3.0 hands, but apparently bigger than kits that preceded it. It'd be a real bummer to have to put the static hand on it so it can't hold any weapons.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
I don't know anything about this hobby, but my son and I saw some models at the local hobby store and he really, really wants to get into it. He is 10. I looked around a bit on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-06F-2-Zaku-Zeon-Scale/dp/B0032ZD5P2/ref=pd_sim_t_46?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SQ5HVZP2CH2HGCSDDDP . H e likes the beefier looking ones like as opposed to the skinny ones with huge guns and fins errywhere. Can you perhaps point me towards some more affordable models in this vein that would be approriate for a 10 year old.

We tried watching some old Macross stuff on Hulu today. Macross 2. He didn't like it. Too many weird girls in bathing suits he said. Are there some cartoons more suited to the younger mindset as well?

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

The Dregs posted:

Are there some cartoons more suited to the younger mindset as well?

I apologise in advance for how many things your son is going to ask you to buy after you click this link.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

The Dregs posted:

I don't know anything about this hobby, but my son and I saw some models at the local hobby store and he really, really wants to get into it. He is 10. I looked around a bit on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-06F-2-Zaku-Zeon-Scale/dp/B0032ZD5P2/ref=pd_sim_t_46?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SQ5HVZP2CH2HGCSDDDP . H e likes the beefier looking ones like as opposed to the skinny ones with huge guns and fins errywhere. Can you perhaps point me towards some more affordable models in this vein that would be approriate for a 10 year old.

We tried watching some old Macross stuff on Hulu today. Macross 2. He didn't like it. Too many weird girls in bathing suits he said. Are there some cartoons more suited to the younger mindset as well?
Macross II is really bad, so that's a good sign!

But yeah like the post above me said, Gundam Build Fighters is the ticket.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

The Dregs posted:

Gundam Build Fighters like the guys above me is a show he would love. There is even an episode in there that shows some of the basics to making a kit (around 12 or 14 or so).

Also, I got this set as my first kit and liked it a lot. Gives a good variety of different suits that should be the type your son likes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
There are a few other sites that you may want to check out for price matching purposes. The OP has some links at the end. If you and your son want to just see what models are out there, check out http://dalong.net. Click the 'HG' link in the toolbar at the top and then 'English Catalog' on the side. He does a thorough review of nearly every model, so it is a good way to find the names of suits that your kid likes.

The only tool you really need to get him started is a pair of nippers. Tamiya is a reliable brand to buy tools from.

An optional thing is to also pick up a Gundam Fine Line pen. It is used to highlight panel lines and makes the model look better. They come in three colors (that I know of): grey, black, and brown. Grey is the most commonly used.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Kibner posted:

There are a few other sites that you may want to check out for price matching purposes. The OP has some links at the end. If you and your son want to just see what models are out there, check out http://dalong.net. Click the 'HG' link in the toolbar at the top and then 'English Catalog' on the side. He does a thorough review of nearly every model, so it is a good way to find the names of suits that your kid likes.

The only tool you really need to get him started is a pair of nippers. Tamiya is a reliable brand to buy tools from.

An optional thing is to also pick up a Gundam Fine Line pen. It is used to highlight panel lines and makes the model look better. They come in three colors (that I know of): grey, black, and brown. Grey is the most commonly used.

Or just use a mechanical pencil!
But yeah get a good pair of nippers, and that's honestly probably all he needs. Two cuts, one far away, one closer. If he wants to get more into it there's a whole lot of routes he can go, from painting to carefully working it down with sandpaper and all sorts of stuff, but if he's just starting that's probably a good way to do it.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Dregs posted:

I looked around a bit on Amazon and found this: http://www.amazon.com/Gundam-MS-06F-2-Zaku-Zeon-Scale/dp/B0032ZD5P2/ref=pd_sim_t_46?ie=UTF8&refRID=1SQ5HVZP2CH2HGCSDDDP . He likes the beefier looking ones like as opposed to the skinny ones with huge guns and fins errywhere. Can you perhaps point me towards some more affordable models in this vein that would be approriate for a 10 year old.

How much are you looking to spend on the models? Cause 15-20 bucks for a kit is pretty baseline unless you are getting some really old kits that might have issues.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
The 15-20 was fine. i was just looking to see what cool models were out there, since I don't know the genre well at all. Thanks for the link!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You can check out the instruction manual on hobby search. Just google "hobby search [model name]", to see if a kit might be too advanced.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

The Dregs posted:

Any model kit you see on Amazon with 'HG' as a part of its name is going to be one of Bandai's 'High Grade' line and is considered, more or less, their entry level stuff. Bandai models don't require glue to put together.

There's also the SD (Super Deformed) line that might be handy if your son has no idea about models at all which might be a good, simple way to start. Some people do recommend them.

But if you want to see a celebration of our mad, mad hobby about men putting together dolls, Build Fighters is THE go to for it. And it's all up, legit, on Youtube. Instead of being about war.. it's about model kits. Probably more relatable.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Dregs posted:

Get him this.

The Kampfer Amazing is a nice chunky kit with fairly simple construction, and only some basic stickers to worry about that are very easy to place (the white stripes and the mono-eye, along with the big yellow stickers on the backpack pieces), plus it comes with a nice range of accessories. It's also from Build Fighters, so if you watch that with your kid he can watch it turn up onscreen.

The finished kit looks like this. It actually comes with a matched pair of rifles, and here's a link to the Dalong review with the full set of pictures taken. Pro-tip with the stickers though; The yellow ones for just inside the barrels of the backpack cannons are much easier to place before you assemble it.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's also from Build Fighters, so if you watch that with your kid he can watch it turn up onscreen.

Plus, to appeal to the kid in all of us, when it does turn up on screen, it's an amazing badass :allears:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Maybe the Zaku Amazing first? Your first kit won't be your best kit, so it might be good to get som practice in before the glory that is the Kampfer, the ZA shows up earlier in the show, and you mentioned that your kid likes Zakus.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Maybe the Zaku Amazing first? Your first kit won't be your best kit, so it might be good to get som practice in before the glory that is the Kampfer, the ZA shows up earlier in the show, and you mentioned that your kid likes Zakus.

That kit is a complete brick though. Presumably the kid actually wants to do stuff with it beyond "place it in one pose and never approach it again, lest it explode into a million bits".

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

That kit is a complete brick though. Presumably the kid actually wants to do stuff with it beyond "place it in one pose and never approach it again, lest it explode into a million bits".

Ah, fair enough. Wasn't familiar with the horror stories.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, fair enough. Wasn't familiar with the horror stories.

Yeah, I have both and the Zaku Amazing is not a good starter kit. It's got very limited motion in its legs, and it can't even pose with its own rifle very well. You actually need an Action Base to be able to get any posing out of the legs that isn't just standing straight. Plus the revolver holsters have a tendency to pop off because some genius thought keeping them on with friction and wishful thinking was a good idea.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, I have both and the Zaku Amazing is not a good starter kit. It's got very limited motion in its legs, and it can't even pose with its own rifle very well. You actually need an Action Base to be able to get any posing out of the legs that isn't just standing straight. Plus the revolver holsters have a tendency to pop off because some genius thought keeping them on with friction and wishful thinking was a good idea.

I have to presume that this is why the Gouf R35 is a much more modern mold than the base of the Zaku Amazing.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Well, I know what kit I'm moving to the very back of my backlog now.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
The zaku, the Dregs linked is a kinda newish kit, its from 2010. Just a gun and a heathawk, not a billion tiny things that explode into the night.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Swagger Dagger posted:

Well, I know what kit I'm moving to the very back of my backlog now.

Here's my picture of it from the old thread;

This is the only good pose you're going to get with it on the ground. Incidentally, if you do decide to get the Amazing Booster and mount it like I did in this picture, scavenge up some spare polycap balls from your other kits instead of using the plastic ones it comes with.

You get an okay range of motion in the air though. The oversized rifle's from System Weapon 004, incidentally.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This is the only good pose you're going to get with it on the ground. Incidentally, if you do decide to get the Amazing Booster and mount it like I did in this picture, scavenge up some spare polycap balls from your other kits instead of using the plastic ones it comes with.

I bought it and the Amazing Booster. I was buying the Lightning and its backpack at the time and thought that the HGBC series was all extra parts for their kits, not just... weird poo poo.

Now I have an Amazing Booster and a Powered Arms POWEREDER that I don't really know what to do with.

I'll probably just put the Zaku on a stand. Everything I have is just on a shelf, but I don't want them to look quite that static.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
GM Cardigan is a very good start choice in my opinion.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I did it...I bought SOC GaoGaiGar. I couldn't resist. I won't even be able to see it until i'm done working in Spring, but I did it anyway...

In topic-related news, here's this:

Third party metal Grand Slam sword for 1/100 Strike.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ka0 posted:

Understated. Straightforward. Built like a bomb shelter.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So, for some personal reasons I needed something mindless to do today. So I pretty well finished my Zaku Cannon in a frumpy dress Gafran. The legs, wings, and tail need some touch-ups and haven't been varnished yet, but they're pretty well done. Sadly, the feet are tiny and narrow so it's pretty unstable in Mobile Suit Mode (unless you use the tail-cannon to tripod it).

The Gafran has a terrible secret though. When frightened, the legs grow an extra knee and it turns into a winged golden retriever! (I really like this transformation).

Of course, I also think it looks best when it's only half-transformed. It's still pretty much an EVA.

It's a really neat kit overall (but I'll probably keep it in Dog or Eva mode since its normal mobile suit mode looks kinda bad), and the legs are extremely flexible. If it had bigger feet it'd be very pose-able, but it's sadly limited by its own design so if you want something dynamic you probably want it to be on a stand. I also highly suggest painting it since the Gafran's original colors are hot garbage. Because designing a group of monstrous mobile suits that are flashy and eye-catching and giving them the most drab, boring colors possible was a great idea!

It's very well designed though, there's very little rubbing at the joints so even with five+ layers of paint it doesn't seem likely to rub off.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

TaurusOxford posted:

I did it...I bought SOC GaoGaiGar. I couldn't resist. I won't even be able to see it until i'm done working in Spring, but I did it anyway...

It's a lot of fun. The transformation is incredibly show accurate even down to the train going too far and then rolling back (which pops out the torso to make it thicker). Posing the full thing sucks because of the bad arm proportions and the shoulder joints, but you can make a huge and heavy GaoGaiGar give you a thumbs up and I think it's easier to Hell and Heaven pose than the SRC. You're gonna love it.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Twelve attempts at the New Year campaign, twelve failures. :negative:

Also my club decided on trying to do a modeling contest. Next month interested members will pick up a Hi-mock and a BF accessory pack and see what they can make. If it all goes well I'll post pictures.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I'm getting close to finishing the mg sengoku astray and I just realized that there's no dry transfers on this kit, only stickers. I've been building mg's for over a decade and I can't remember the last time that happened.

I have never, ever seen stickers look good and I really wish bandai would just stick to the dry transfers, or even better, water slides.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Get him this.

The Kampfer Amazing is a nice chunky kit with fairly simple construction, and only some basic stickers to worry about that are very easy to place (the white stripes and the mono-eye, along with the big yellow stickers on the backpack pieces), plus it comes with a nice range of accessories. It's also from Build Fighters, so if you watch that with your kid he can watch it turn up onscreen.

The finished kit looks like this. It actually comes with a matched pair of rifles, and here's a link to the Dalong review with the full set of pictures taken. Pro-tip with the stickers though; The yellow ones for just inside the barrels of the backpack cannons are much easier to place before you assemble it.

The only downside of the Kampfer Amäzing is that they misspell the name of the kit on the box.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

It can finally stand under its own weight! Just one more night, and it will finally be complete.

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

It can finally stand under its own weight! Just one more night, and it will finally be complete.

You're building much faster than I am. I've unfortunately only got time to work on it on the weekends. I just finished up armoring the legs today, and those LEDs in the thrusters required some creative work.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

YamataNoOrochi posted:

You're building much faster than I am. I've unfortunately only got time to work on it on the weekends. I just finished up armoring the legs today, and those LEDs in the thrusters required some creative work.

I've got a four-day weekend to burn, and in that time I've done one of the wing packs, both of the shoulder armors and flight packs, one leg, the head, and half the waist armor. I tried with the LEDs, but after an hour trying to get things to solder right I just said gently caress it, and I'm not gonna use it anyways so why bother. It looks great as-is.

Kinda poses like a brick though.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Hell yes. Built like a brick shithouse, plentiful weapons and shields, and a surprisingly good range of motion & poseability for something so bulky. My favourite of the Build Fighters Try kits so far (though I'm waiting on the Try Build Burning rather than the Build Burning).

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I would say the Build Burning is a great first kit. Absolutely amazing articulation, looks cool, and the flame effect parts are always cool as hell.

Anyway, according to package tracking, my HG The O should be delivered today :supaburn: Now if only there was a 1/144 Zeta that wasn't a fragile mess :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I would say the Build Burning is a great first kit. Absolutely amazing articulation, looks cool, and the flame effect parts are always cool as hell.

Anyway, according to package tracking, my HG The O should be delivered today :supaburn: Now if only there was a 1/144 Zeta that wasn't a fragile mess :(

You'd be better of waiting on the Try Build Burning at this point. It's only a month away, and it has more fancy flame effects :supaburn:.