Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Xenoveritas posted:

Can't you /beckon to it? I know that works with the Wind-up Succubus.

Nope, it ignores /beckon. The thing just flies around randomly and will sometimes get tired and land on you or a nearby piece of scenery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Joined an in-progress Titan HM with 20% echo, three DPS (one of whom was AFK), one healer and no tank.

It was honestly smoother than most Full Party runs I've had, echo or not.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How are there five people in the group?

YamataNoOrochi
Oct 24, 2005

It's hard mode. There should be 8.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Robo Reagan posted:

How are there five people in the group?

It's a hard mode, that's actually 3 too few.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh whoops

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

The Chairman posted:

PBC currently has no room for new people, since there's nobody who qualifies to be kicked out for inactivity at this time.

However, in preparation for 2.5, I'm going to kick out everybody who's been inactive for more than 30 days as of Sunday night. If you're currently in PBC, have been inactive for over a month but are planning to come back for 2.5, you have until Sunday afternoon to log in.

Purge carried out, we're now at 436 members out of a max of 512

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Gonna start finding the worst of the worst posts when I go on safari and bring them here. YOSHI LIED.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Verranicus posted:

Forums safari! Here, have a post where broken players pine for broken features from a dead game!

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/109481-Stuff-I-Miss-From-1.0

I can just never get over these threads.

quote:

I have never played 1.0 but after watching countless YouTube videos and reading all of you guys fantastic posts

1 why did I never play or even try 1.0

2 wtf happened to the graphics

3 world seemed much bigger and immersive

4 incredible soundtrack

5 the story seemed a lot better

please keep posting experiences i'm really enjoying this thread

So first of all, you didn't play the game, you're just watching Youtube videos and your imagination is filling in the rest, meaning it'll be better than anything you could actually play. Magical. :allears:

Secondly, on 2), why do people keep saying this. The texture work in 1.0 was, I think, technically higher-rez per object (armor piece/flower pot/etc) but the animations were awful outside of cutscenes and made the combat look goofy and the lighting is buuuuuutttttttttttttts. Nothing but butts. Butts all the way down.

On 3), I guess the world map was strictly bigger (although Thanalan and La Noscea have all accessible areas accounted for iirc, with Coerthas being the only one missing huge map chunks) but seriously, anyone who looks at a video of the Shroud or even La Noscea knows it wasn't immersive. It was the same hill or corridor over and over. Even the loving developers joke about it at Fanfest. There's nothing immersive about that.

4)... I guess it was okay. I've never been impressed with what I saw or heard of the pre-Soken 1.0 soundtrack because it's literally just a bunch of songs mashed together. (No, literally, it's a bunch of songs mashed into the game randomly; Uematsu was told to compose some music but was given essentially no direction concerning matching the songs to scenes or zones or whatnot. As a result it felt comically disjointed in places.) And yeah, Navigator's Glory is cool... the first time you hear it. It was a wretched city theme because the loop was too small and it didn't change between day and night. The current city music works a lot better because of how it shifts.

5): What story? Initial 1.0 barely had a story. You did the Echo event which wasn't obviously an Echo, you hung out with Minfilia a bit, you saw Gaius be cool, and then that was basically it. The Seventh Umbral Era stuff was better... but that was done by the ARR team as setup for ARR. I guess you can not dig the direction they ultimately went in, but if you talk about Seventh Umbral being cool, then it's still by the same team that brought you the "hated" ARR. (Besides, 2.4 was cooler and 2.5 is going to top anything that was in 1.0. :colbert: )

SpaceDrake fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jan 19, 2015

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SpaceDrake posted:

I can just never get over these threads.

So first of all, you didn't play the game, you're just watching Youtube videos and your imagination is filling in the rest, meaning it'll be better than anything you could actually play. Magical. :allears:

Secondly, on 2), why do people keep saying this. The texture work in 1.0 was, I think, technically higher-rez per object (armor piece/flower pot/etc) but the animations were awful outside of cutscenes and made the combat look goofy and the lighting is buuuuuutttttttttttttts. Nothing but butts. Butts all the way down.

On 3), I guess the world map was strictly bigger (although Thanalan and La Noscea have all accessible areas accounted for iirc, with Coerthas being the only one missing huge map chunks) but seriously, anyone who looks at a video of the Shroud or even La Noscea knows it wasn't immersive. It was the same hill or corridor over and over. Even the loving developers joke about it at Fanfest. There's nothing immersive about that.

4)... I guess it was okay. I've never been impressed with what I saw or heard of the pre-Soken 1.0 soundtrack because it's literally just a bunch of songs mashed together. (No, literally, it's a bunch of songs mashed into the game randomly; Uematsu was told to compose some music but was given essentially no direction concerning matching the songs to scenes or zones or whatnot. As a result it felt comically disjointed in places.) And yeah, Navigator's Glory is cool... the first time you hear it. It was a wretched city theme because the loop was too small and it didn't change between day and night. The current city music works a lot better because of how it shifts.

It's kind of funny because when FFXIV was new and my PC had no hope of running it, I downloaded a leaked soundtrack and was totally underwhelmed. Like, I've played every other Final Fantasy game and this was easily in the bottom 5 just because it didn't sound like a Final Fantasy outside of a few tracks.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Verranicus posted:

Gonna start finding the worst of the worst posts when I go on safari and bring them here. YOSHI LIED.

These people are apparently living in some kind of world populated entirely by their own delusions, I just don't understand it at all, like the 'demand for 1.0 server' thing, the game was a mess and crashed all the time.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!
As a reminder, beautiful graphics and gameplay that is so much better than 1.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQlJv_UGP10

You want to talk about feeling like a cheap knockoff of the game we have now that stole some assets...

Verranicus posted:

It's kind of funny because when FFXIV was new and my PC had no hope of running it, I downloaded a leaked soundtrack and was totally underwhelmed. Like, I've played every other Final Fantasy game and this was easily in the bottom 5 just because it didn't sound like a Final Fantasy outside of a few tracks.

Yeah, the soundtrack was one of the things that turned me off in what little I played of the beta and then what I heard from the data-mining. It didn't "sound" Final Fantasy (as much as it's very difficult to define what Final Fantasy is meant to "sound" like) and it all felt painfully disjointed.

Ironically a decent bit of that soundtrack has been reintegrated into ARR at this point, and it all fits far better than it did.

Oh, also:

Verranicus posted:

"I miss when it actually ment[sic] something to have a relic or a piece of darklight gear.

I miss the closed community of friends and all the cool people who played "

These are just precious. :allears: The first one is just literally "I miss progression being basically frozen for years and I want to get one piece of armor and be The Best for the rest of time". And the second one means you just literally don't like playing MMOs. If you want a small community, don't play a game that always intended and wanted to have thousands of people on one server. 1.0's tiny servers were unintended.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

SpaceDrake posted:

As a reminder, beautiful graphics and gameplay that is so much better than 1.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQlJv_UGP10

You want to talk about feeling like a cheap knockoff of the game we have now that stole some assets...

Yeah, the soundtrack was one of the things that turned me off in what little I played of the beta and then what I heard from the data-mining. It didn't "sound" Final Fantasy (as much as it's very difficult to define what Final Fantasy is meant to "sound" like) and it all felt painfully disjointed.

Ironically a decent bit of that soundtrack has been reintegrated into ARR at this point, and it all fits far better than it did.

Oh, also:

These are just precious. :allears: The first one is just literally "I miss progression being basically frozen for years and I want to get one piece of armor and be The Best for the rest of time". And the second one means you just literally don't like playing MMOs. If you want a small community, don't play a game that always intended and wanted to have thousands of people on one server. 1.0's tiny servers were unintended.

There was a post that was essentially saying they liked the small communities, then went on to admit that the communities were small because the servers and engine were poo poo but they'd still take that back over what we have now because Duty Finder is literally hitler.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FFXIV went on sale on PSN today and now there's a swarm of newbie sprouts all around Brynhildr.

Some even got into pissing matches wrt ps3 vs ps4 vs pc.

It's adorable. :allears:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW5DnpidMiY

You people just don't get how amazing and fluid and visceral 1.xx combat was!!

*half the party stands in place touching their forehead while melee DPS attacks from 20m away*

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

kirbysuperstar posted:

*half the party stands in place touching their forehead while melee DPS attacks from 20m away*

That is the ugliest loving poo poo, what the hell. :stare:

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
1.0 legit had a pretty cool font though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Liebot, what is the saddest thing in the world?

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

cheetah7071 posted:

1.0 legit had a pretty cool font though.

Really? I personally think it stands out to the point of being garish.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Kyrosiris posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-MORevM3ac&t=177s

It's amazing just how boring and ugly it is.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

Kyrosiris posted:

To be a tiny bit fair, that person is also playing at like 800x600 or just has a messed up interface in general. :stonk: The video I linked earlier, and some other videos on that channel, give you a better idea of what it looked like with an actual widescreen 1080p screen layout. (Still ugly, but not that cluttered.)

I still love how the 1.0 caster weapons were literally stat sticks, though. They weren't even used in the casting animations, they were just on your back the entire time. :allears: They couldn't even get that right.

(also seriously, you need to watch these videos closely to appreciate how much animations changed in ARR. It's not just a few things, Lalafells were almost entirely reanimated and several classes has major animation changes, like Lancer/Dragoon)

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly I wouldn't mind have a /cpose for casters where they hold invisible wizard orbs instead of sticks/books. I'm not big on the BLM baton hold and iirc the /cpose for women is some cutesy anime bullshit.

Actually gently caress it go all out and give everyone an animation set where they don't have a weapon. Warriors can karate chop stuff :getin:

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 19, 2015

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot

Robo Reagan posted:

Honestly I wouldn't mind have a /cpose for casters where they hold invisible wizard orbs instead of sticks/books. I'm not big on the BLM baton hold and iirc the /cpose for women is some cutesy anime bullshit.

Actually gently caress it go all out and give everyone an animation set where they don't have a weapon. Warriors can karate chop stuff :getin:

Judo taunt!

Watching videos of 1.0 looks cheep. I also felt the voice of papalymo was poo poo in 1.0. It sounds like a old woman in monty python.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

T.G. Xarbala posted:

FFXIV went on sale on PSN today and now there's a swarm of newbie sprouts all around Brynhildr.

Some even got into pissing matches wrt ps3 vs ps4 vs pc.

It's adorable. :allears:

how can anyone say anything about the ps3 version

seriously

i mean, it runs. thats about it.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

How in the world can people be nostalgic for that over the kinds of primal fights we have now? It's gotta be trolling. No real person could prefer that.

DarkstarIV
Apr 6, 2010

OFFICIAL RACIST
I would like to mention that there are people who seriously want skillchains in this game.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/213820-Adding-skillchains-in-game...

I had to google what skillchains were and :psyduck:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

I still love how the 1.0 caster weapons were literally stat sticks, though. They weren't even used in the casting animations, they were just on your back the entire time. :allears: They couldn't even get that right.

Ironically that was what I hated most about WoW.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011

SpaceDrake posted:

To be fair WoW casters also don't use their weapons in spellcasting animations, but there are multiple animations depending on the school of spell being cast, with distinct projectiles as well. So it still looks 200% more dynamic than "stand in place in neutral pose, touch forehead, sweep arm a bit".

Also lol at basic attacks with 5 seconds cooldown, I'm reminded of Everquest's 6 second cycles.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

DarkstarIV posted:

I would like to mention that there are people who seriously want skillchains in this game.

Skillchains are cool. :colbert:

I don't think they'd work at all in the current FFXIV, but having to coordinate between 3 players was a lot of fun in the much, much more slowly paced FFXI. I dunno, you could maybe still go with something like Dragon Kick to Chaos thrust then get a burst from Flare, but the game is so much faster why bother?

I still like the idea of your skills linking up and affecting another player's and chaining all that poo poo together for bigger numbers, but that's just not the way the game is.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

DarkstarIV posted:

I fondly remember doing AM bursts off skill chains and nuking the gently caress out of a single Crawler or something back in XI, I have suppressed the literal hours I spent in the taru sit animation to regen mana

Really when I say hours, I mean actual legitimate days all things considered probably.

Coeurl Marx
Oct 9, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Robo Reagan posted:

I wish both genders got access to both weapon poses. As you said, the female caster ones are dumb as hell, and the monk one looks like you're getting ready to go super saiyan, but the female lancer pose for example is pretty cool.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cyron posted:

Watching videos of 1.0 looks cheep. I also felt the voice of papalymo was poo poo in 1.0. It sounds like a old woman in monty python.

That sounds like a good thing

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:

uncurable mlady posted:

I fondly remember doing AM bursts off skill chains and nuking the gently caress out of a single Crawler or something back in XI, I have suppressed the literal hours I spent in the taru sit animation to regen mana

Really when I say hours, I mean actual legitimate days all things considered probably.

It was pretty fun to party with a couple friends in XI when we figured out what different skillchains we could do with the jobs we were playing.

I don't remember them being worth the effort to do though so it's probably a good thing they didn't add them to ARR.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The Daltony posted:

It was pretty fun to party with a couple friends in XI when we figured out what different skillchains we could do with the jobs we were playing.

I don't remember them being worth the effort to do though so it's probably a good thing they didn't add them to ARR.

Before Treasures of Aht Urgan came out, skillchains were the only way people leveled, and since everything in the game was weak to ice it always had to be a Distortion chain with Blizzard burst on it. Which sucked for MNKs and everyone else who couldn't make a distortion chain til later.

Anyway the fight would go: tank tanks it, bard or red mage debuffs the mob, all the physical dps wail on it to build tp. Then it goes weaponskill > weaponskill which makes a chain (distortion), then the blm would cast a spell of the right element to kill the mob from like 50%.

Rest, rinse, repeat...for hours and hours. It was like being in a xp generating machine at the best of times, but holy poo poo would I not play a game that tedious now.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

a kitten posted:

Before Treasures of Aht Urgan came out, skillchains were the only way people leveled, and since everything in the game was weak to ice it always had to be a Distortion chain with Blizzard burst on it. Which sucked for MNKs and everyone else who couldn't make a distortion chain til later.

Anyway the fight would go: tank tanks it, bard or red mage debuffs the mob, all the physical dps wail on it to build tp. Then it goes weaponskill > weaponskill which makes a chain (distortion), then the blm would cast a spell of the right element to kill the mob from like 50%.

Rest, rinse, repeat...for hours and hours. It was like being in a xp generating machine at the best of times, but holy poo poo would I not play a game that tedious now.

Eventually you'd replace Blizzard with Freeze every five minutes or whatever, I remember having Samurai in the camp was always fun because they could skillchain off themselves.

And yeah, the sheer tedium of doing anything in XI is beyond words. Looking back the only explanation I can give for why I wasted so many otherwise productive hours on that game is 'college'.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I can understand nostalgia, I still get good feelings thinking back to Final Fantasy XI, but I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that game was anywhere near as good as some of the stuff that came after it (ARR included).

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Verranicus posted:

I can understand nostalgia, I still get good feelings thinking back to Final Fantasy XI, but I wouldn't delude myself into thinking that game was anywhere near as good as some of the stuff that came after it (ARR included).

Oh, certainly. ARR - oddly enough, or not - is a good game in its own right, even if it wasn't a FF game/MMO.

John T Scrungus
Oct 23, 2010

:confused:

a kitten posted:

Yeah I only played from 2008 to 2010 so I missed out on the ToAU era.

Sounds even better that they dropped the system entirely honestly.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Apparently you can level to 99 in a couple of days and solo most missions in XI now which fills me with this odd sense of despair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

uncurable mlady posted:

Oh, certainly. ARR - oddly enough, or not - is a good game in its own right, even if it wasn't a FF game/MMO.

FF ARR is p much FFXII except an MMO which is all I wanted when I was playing FFXII

Pretty Princess Dressup is just icing on the cake

Robo Reagan fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 19, 2015

• Locked thread