Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I wouldn't call myself remotly an expert, but pending a cost effective way to directly remove existing greenhouse gas from the atmosphere, B by far for individual nations, because as we've seen there's always gonna be a bunch of assholes adding more anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dahn
Sep 4, 2004

Nevvy Z posted:

I wouldn't call myself remotly an expert, but pending a cost effective way to directly remove existing greenhouse gas from the atmosphere, B by far for individual nations, because as we've seen there's always gonna be a bunch of assholes adding more anyway.

The prisoner dilemma.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Nevvy Z posted:

That overly simplifies it I think. The countries that are adding more greenhouse gases are the ones most interested with moving off of them while the traditional producers (the West) are the ones most resistant to change.

pwnyXpress
Mar 28, 2007
Never thought I'd see anything decent from BuzzFeed of all places:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/how-do-scientists-actually-feel-about-climate-change#.kmxVQB8qG

(Warning: contains horrible BuzzFeed webpage layout, as well as disheartening quotes from climate scientists about their feelings on the issue.)

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Another good bit of digestible info on the the climate and planetary strains:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/graphic-c...dium=socialflow

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.

pwnyXpress posted:

Never thought I'd see anything decent from BuzzFeed of all places:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/kellyoakes/how-do-scientists-actually-feel-about-climate-change#.kmxVQB8qG

(Warning: contains horrible BuzzFeed webpage layout, as well as disheartening quotes from climate scientists about their feelings on the issue.)

It ends with an optimistic quote, guess everything is gonna be ok after all.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Here are a couple climate change-related articles to brighten up your day!

http://www.latimes.com/science/sciencenow/la-sci-sn-climate-warmest-year-20150116-story.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/16/science/earth/study-raises-alarm-for-health-of-ocean-life.html

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Ccs posted:

Another good bit of digestible info on the the climate and planetary strains:

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/graphic-c...dium=socialflow
Hey, this one's from this publication. There's the other here. I sat on a hangout with Johan Rockstrom yesterday (I participated in his MOOC this December/January), and he said he'll be speaking out on the WEF in Davos next week. They are releasing a new edition of the MOOC again soon, and he said to promote it, so eh.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Kevin Costner prepared me for this. My body is ready for Waterworld.

(Bad jokes are all I can do from screaming internally, forever.)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Don't worry, global warming is going to be disproved next year when the average global temperature goes down, thereby negating the global warming hypothesis!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Shbobdb posted:

Don't worry, global warming is going to be disproved next year when the average global temperature goes down, thereby negating the global warming hypothesis!

How do scientists explain us not all burning in hellfire yet? I'm just asking questions.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

It's been a few months since I finished teaching my students about the dangers of climate change in my Grade 10 science class, I was just wondering when my payoff cheque from the World Wide Climate Change Conspiracy Fund should arrive. I have a few bills to pay and I just wondered how long the normal wait is.

Ha ha ha what do you mean it's the pro-fossil fuel folks with all the money, that's crazy talk. Nobody's ever made any money in resource extraction!

eNeMeE
Nov 26, 2012

Tochiazuma posted:

It's been a few months since I finished teaching my students about the dangers of climate change in my Grade 10 science class, I was just wondering when my payoff cheque from the World Wide Climate Change Conspiracy Fund should arrive. I have a few bills to pay and I just wondered how long the normal wait is.
Normally there's about a month turnaround on those, but since they have to come up with real-seeming explanations to counter all the "I see snow! Where's your global warming now?" people who have clearly destroyed the conspiracy, the cheques should be there in about 4-6 months.

They will be disguised as junk mail.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I make a very pointed effort at talking about the other side of that "IT SNOWED TODAY GLOBAL WARMING IS A FARCE" coin when the opportunity avails itself, like the past few days here in Omaha where it's been 50-60 degrees during the day. January is the part of the year where the temperature stays below freezing for weeks at a time, not where the temp during the day us warm enough to keep the house relatively comfortable without running the heat/AC.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Seriously, we opened up the house yesterday because it was 60 loving degrees outside.

Excellent day for shooting clays, too...

...in the middle of January - they've been relatively mild here for years now.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
I live in Pennsylvania and when I was a kid every year was a freaking snowpocalypse. Halloween costumes had to be things that you could wear layers with or be warm by nature if you were trick or treating at night. poo poo got cold. It would generally start snowing before Thanksgiving and stay snowy all the way through February. There was no such thing as a green Christmas. There was always snow on the ground. We'd routinely see temperatures in the negatives. You went out and rode sleds down every hill you could find all winter, every winter.

Lately there have been a few winters where I haven't even needed to break out a winter coat. It's like 40 out right now and all the snow is melting. I've worn loving shorts in January in recent years. My collection of extra layers, thermal underwear, and winter gear rarely gets much use. I've been finding summers increasingly intolerable and am really considering moving further north because really, gently caress heat. I really fail to see how people in these parts can look at that and go "yup, global warming is a lie."

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

I grew up in Michigan and yeah, same deal. Ice-skating on the homemade pond at Thanksgiving and Christmas, Halloween costumes that could fit over snowsuits, the whole nine yards. I remember building snow forts routinely and getting one or two feet in a storm was no big deal.

Now you're lucky if you get a white Christmas, even luckier if snow stays on the ground for more than a few days before the next warm spell melts it all. Snow used to stick around from November to March. Hell we'd sometimes go to Mass on Easter and there would still be piles of unmelted snow around driveways and the like where it'd been piling up from all the plowing and shoveling all year.

Where I live now there used to be a snowmobile dealership where now lies a Harley-Davidson one. The snowmobile one went out of business in the 80s. Not enough snow.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

:stonk:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2015/jan/18/pipeline-breach-spills-oil-yellowstone-river/283374/

Keystone is going to help protect the environment by preventing spills!

http://www.timesfreepress.com/news/breakingnews/story/2015/jan/18/pipeline-breach-spills-oil-yellowstone-river/283374/

quote:

BILLINGS, Mont. -- Montana officials said Sunday that an oil pipeline breach spilled up to 50,000 gallons of oil into the Yellowstone River near Glendive, Montana, but they said they are unaware of any threats to public safety or health.

The Bridger Pipeline Co. said the spill occurred about 10 a.m. Saturday. The initial estimate is that 300 to 1,200 barrels of oil spilled, the company said in a statement Sunday.

Some of the oil did get into the water, but the area where it spilled was frozen over and that could help reduce the impact, said Dave Parker, a spokesman for Gov. Steve Bullock.

"We think it was caught pretty quick, and it was shut down," Parker said. "The governor is committed to making sure the river is cleaned up."

Bridger Pipeline Co. said in the statement that it shut down the 12-inch-wide pipeline shortly before 11 a.m. Saturday. "Our primary concern is to minimize the environmental impact of the release and keep our responders safe as we clean up from this unfortunate incident," said Tad True, vice president of Bridger.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is that the same pipeline that had a larger spill in the Yellowstone river a couple years ago?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Is that the same pipeline that had a larger spill in the Yellowstone river a couple years ago?

Yup.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Oh. Well something something trains

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

FAUXTON posted:

Oh. Well something something trains

Don't go into the Keystone thread.

Myotis
Aug 23, 2006

We have guided missiles and misguided men.

Trabisnikof posted:

I guess if giving poor people access to clean water, fresh foods, healthcare and vastly improved economic growth conditions is "bad" in your books then we shouldn't burn all the fossil fuels we can. Because you can't give those things to the poor people of the world without fossil fuels. Denying the poor people of the world access to cheap energy just because we've smugly decided it's no longer "cool" to have economic development and cheap energy, well....that's your idea not mind.

:smug:

I can channel that awfulness all day long.

This line of argument is essentially based on a spurious correlation between economic growth, energy consumption and fossil fuel use on the one hand, and life expectancy, educational achievement and access to basic needs and services on the other.

From what we understand, certain levels of energy consumption (as well as inevitable fossil fuel emissions, particularly in hard to treat sectors like agriculture) are necessary for the latter development outcomes, but beyond a certain threshold of infrastructural development, human well-being within societies becomes a more complex issue of distribution, justice and prevailing expectations of 'the good life' shaped within a socio-cultural space.

Thinking about development patterns more broadly, global inequalities of material consumption do not represent distinct stages of development in historical time. Feeding low-cost energy to the world's poor is not going to alleviate social inequalities perpetuated by unequal exchange relations, repressive political regimes, military conflict and the systematic undermining of labour and environmental rights by the free movement of international capital.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Myotis posted:

This line of argument is essentially based on a spurious correlation between economic growth, energy consumption and fossil fuel use on the one hand, and life expectancy, educational achievement and access to basic needs and services on the other.

From what we understand, certain levels of energy consumption (as well as inevitable fossil fuel emissions, particularly in hard to treat sectors like agriculture) are necessary for the latter development outcomes, but beyond a certain threshold of infrastructural development, human well-being within societies becomes a more complex issue of distribution, justice and prevailing expectations of 'the good life' shaped within a socio-cultural space.

Thinking about development patterns more broadly, global inequalities of material consumption do not represent distinct stages of development in historical time. Feeding low-cost energy to the world's poor is not going to alleviate social inequalities perpetuated by unequal exchange relations, repressive political regimes, military conflict and the systematic undermining of labour and environmental rights by the free movement of international capital.

Oh please, I have charts to back up that Fossil Fuels are good. Check it, Fossil Fuels decrease climate related deaths:

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

Trabisnikof posted:

Oh please, I have charts to back up that Fossil Fuels are good. Check it, Fossil Fuels decrease climate related deaths:

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I get the "point" of it but goddamn that pirate graph is loving awful.

Uranium Phoenix
Jun 20, 2007

Boom.

pangstrom posted:

I get the "point" of it but goddamn that pirate graph is loving awful.

That's part of the point.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Uranium Phoenix posted:

That's part of the point.

How can you argue against Fossil Fuels after you see a chart like this! The Axes start at 0 even!

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

How can you argue against Fossil Fuels after you see a chart like this! The Axes start at 0 even!

you make joke ironically?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Friendly Tumour posted:

you make joke ironically?

These are charts included in the wildly praised The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels as part of making said moral case. At least the author was clear it wasn't going to be a logical case.

Edit: Seems like this thread is underinformed! Lets learn about sciencing!

Don't worry, the carbon impact of Fossil Fuels is reducing:

Also, stupid climate scientists can't predict anything!

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 20, 2015

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Trabisnikof posted:

These are charts included in the wildly praised The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels as part of making said moral case. At least the author was clear it wasn't going to be a logical case.

praised by wild lunatics no doubt

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Friendly Tumour posted:

praised by wild lunatics no doubt

“With more politicians in climate science than scientists, the refining fire of debate has devolved into the burning of heretics. Alex Epstein’s The Moral Case for Fossil Fuels may make your blood boil, but his cool reason and cold, hard facts will lead us beyond hysterics to a much better future.”
—PETER THIEL, technology entrepreneur and investor

“If you want to see the power of fine logic, fine writing, and fine research, read Epstein’s book. In my long career, it is simply the best popular-market book about climate, environmental policy, and energy that I have read. Laymen and experts alike will be boggled by Epstein’s clarity.”
—PATRICK J. MICHAELS, director, Center for the Study of Science, Cato Institute

“Alex Epstein has written an eloquent and powerful argument for using fossil fuels on moral grounds alone. A remarkable book.”
—MATT RIDLEY, author of The Rational Optimist

In this brave book, Alex Epstein provides a clear, full-throated response to the catastrophists who want us to replace nearly all of our existing energy systems with expensive, incurably intermittent sources like wind and solar. We need more people like Alex who are willing to make the case for hydrocarbons. As Alex shows, those fuels are allowing billions of people to live fuller, freer, healthier lives.”
—ROBERT BRYCE, author of Smaller Faster Lighter Denser Cheaper

You are either pro-fossil fuels or pro-poverty!

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Bonus Myth Busting!

quote:

Myth: Fossil fuels are dirty.
Truth: The environmental benefits of using fossil fuels far outweigh the risks. Fossil fuels don’t take a naturally clean environment and make it dirty; they take a naturally dirty environment and make it clean. They don’t take a naturally safe climate and make it dangerous; they take a naturally dangerous climate and make it ever safer.

quote:

Myth: Fossil fuels are unsustainable, so we should strive to use “renewable” solar and wind.
Truth: The sun and wind are intermittent, unreliable fuels that always need backup from a reliable source of energy—usually fossil fuels. There are huge amounts of fossil fuels left, and we have plenty of time to find something cheaper.

quote:

Myth: Fossil fuels are hurting the developing world.
Truth: Fossil fuels are the key to improving the quality of life for billions of people in the developing world. If we withhold them, access to clean water plummets, critical medical machines like incubators become impossible to operate, and life expectancy drops significantly. Calls to “get off fossil fuels” are calls to degrade the lives of innocent people who merely want the same opportunities we enjoy in the West.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Trabisnikof posted:

Bonus Myth Busting!

Petroleum: It cleans the Earth :unsmith:

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
This duck had never been scrubbed with a toothbrush before today, but thanks to oil a graduate student is now carefully cleaning each and every feather. Have ducks ever had it so good?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Salt Fish posted:

This duck had never been scrubbed with a toothbrush before today, but thanks to oil a graduate student is now carefully cleaning each and every feather. Have ducks ever had it so good?

I hope that duck's NATURAL oils come back because otherwise it's crocodile meat.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kafka Esq. posted:

I hope that duck's NATURAL oils come back because otherwise it's crocodile meat.

Thanks to the oil spill we've caught enough ducks to feed thousands of poors!

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Hurray for the broken window fallacy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.
Science has made the new Planetary Boundaries paper free access with registration: http://www.sciencemag.org/content/early/2015/01/14/science.1259855 .

• Locked thread