Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

the culmination of a carefully orchestrated plan to bankrupt the chinese government

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
It's completely dependent on the specifics of what they stole.

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

What's with the warning about cutting the canopy being right there?

E: Shouldn't it be something more immediately relevant like 'don't loving step here'? Don't cut within 3 inches of frame seems more appropriate for a manual.

goatsestretchgoals fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jan 19, 2015

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

gently caress the f35 f22 supremacy anyone got more of those insane rear end demonstration videos

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

bitcoin bastard posted:

E: Shouldn't it be something more immediately relevant like 'don't loving step here'? Don't cut within 3 inches of frame seems more appropriate for a manual.

Pilot egress. As in cutting your way in to egress pilot because everything is hosed.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

It's completely dependent on the specifics of what they stole.

According to the article

quote:

The leaked document shows that stolen design information included details of the JSF's radar systems which are used to identify and track targets; detailed engine schematics; methods for cooling exhaust gases; and "aft deck heating contour maps".

I'm not an avionics guy but details of the radar sounds like it could nearly anything. The engine schematics probably aren't a big deal since iirc China lacks the machining capability to replicate them anyway?

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
russia lacked the machining to make submarine screws, but they managed to do it anyways with the plans they got from japan

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
Retarded mormon AG goes on make-a-wish-foundation pedophile fantasyhunting trip to Colombia

quote:

SALT LAKE CITY — Attorney General Sean Reyes made a secret trip to Colombia last October as part of an operation to rescue child sex slaves.

Reyes made the dangerous trek with Operation Underground Railroad, a Utah-based nonprofit organization that works with governments around the world in fighting child trafficking. It came just weeks before Reyes won his first election as attorney general after being appointed to the job in December 2013.

The organization set up the sting by posing as wealthy investors in a cartel's plan to build a child sex hotel in the Rosaria Islands off the coast of Cartagena. To celebrate the deal, they planned a party on the small island of Baru, where the traffickers would bring the young girls.

Reyes, who speaks Spanish, played the role of translator and bodyguard for the lead investor.

"I wanted to get down where I could make a difference, look evil in the eye and stare it down," he said.

The situation become tense when money exchanged hands, but local authorities did not immediately swoop in to make the arrests as planned. They were waiting for an official from the mainland before moving in. Meantime, the traffickers wanted to bring out the girls.

Reyes said he had to talk to the traffickers for 50 minutes until the takedown occurred. He said he had to stay focused and in character.

"We had to just sort of on the fly make stuff up," he said, adding he appealed to a trafficker's greed by talking about upping the million-dollar deal. "It was a little hairy for a while. … The hardest part was not wanting to kill the guy."

Tim Ballard, Operation Underground Railroad founder and CEO, described Reyes' performance as "masterful." Initially Reyes was to have a peripheral part, but his knowledge of business and law were instrumental in keeping the traffickers engaged, he said.

"He was able keep the conversation rolling and flowing and talk the talk," Ballard said. "It was just a total blessing on so many fronts to have him there."

The island operation resulted in 54 children, including five boys, ages 9 to 16 being rescued, Reyes said.

Reyes' campaign adviser Alan Crooks, who speaks Spanish, also made the trip playing the role of a business partner.

"It was very intense," he said.

Why

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Why not? Guy wants to do some good in this hosed up world. Let him.

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Child sex slaves are bad.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
I would pay 8 bux to watch that in theaters

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

State attorney general showboating with a nonprofit and selling b-grade action flick quotes to mormon news rags reeks of insincere motivations.

Yeah okay, some good literally came of doing this. Fair.

But it's closer to celebrities scrubbing exxon valdez oil off of wildlife than a sincere effort to help.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

the culmination of a carefully orchestrated plan to bankrupt the chinese government

It worked for Canada with the F15s, it'll work for China!

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp

Zeris posted:

State attorney general showboating with a nonprofit and selling b-grade action flick quotes to mormon news rags reeks of insincere motivations.

But it's closer to celebrities scrubbing exxon valdez oil off of wildlife than a sincere effort to help.
Who gives a poo poo, they've done more good in one day than most people will ever do in their lives. Maybe you should wonder why you felt the need to lower and debase the people who saved 54 children from being sex slaves.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Reyes pops up on the radio show I listen to from time to time. He seems like an ok guy, and is big on anti-corruption. The last two state AGs are about to get loving owned in court for it.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

RonMexicosPitbull posted:

Who gives a poo poo, they've done more good in one day than most people will ever do in their lives. Maybe you should wonder why you felt the need to lower and debase the people who saved 54 children from being sex slaves.

Whose-line-is-it-anyway plans by state politicians, their campaign advisors, and nonprofits to perform sting operations against South American criminal cartels don't always end with cheerful press releases and then it becomes the problem of the people who should be doing that poo poo in the first place. Go back to D&D.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Godholio posted:

Reyes pops up on the radio show I listen to from time to time. He seems like an ok guy, and is big on anti-corruption. The last two state AGs are about to get loving owned in court for it.

heh

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

ded posted:

russia lacked the machining to make submarine screws, but they managed to do it anyways with the plans they got from japan

Nahh they got the machines that do the machining from Japan, but only 4 years before the end of the USSR IIRC. So it wasn't like they were filling the seas with high tech boats for decades afterwards anyway, and sometimes the USN just has to be kept honest :v:

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

bitcoin bastard posted:

To elaborate, the canopy frame is probably full of explosives to shatter it during the ejection sequence. They would prefer crash rescue not cut into a detonator trying to get the pilot out.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Looks like poo poo is getting real loving bad in Yemen right now

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/middleeast/2015/01/yemen-forces-houthi-rebels-clash-sanaa-20151195716226461.html

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Zeris posted:

Yup.

Dude didn't want to do good, dude wanted to get re-elected (or elected to higher office, whatever). The doing good is just a side effect.

Also yeah, there's an alternate universe where a Mormon non-profit and a state AG/his campaign advisors freelancing it with a bunch of drug cartels doesn't end in a bunch of sex slaves being freed, it ends in a bunch of dead children.

Dead Reckoning posted:

To elaborate, the canopy frame is probably full of explosives to shatter it during the ejection sequence. They would prefer crash rescue not cut into a detonator trying to get the pilot out.

Or rescue for "the canopy won't open because of a LockMart software bug"'

Wait that's just the F-22.

I wish the govt would just get out of the way so the Houthis and AQAP can have a knock-down drag-out.

So we can make sure the action keeps going we can start lobbing Hellfires at whoever looks like they're winning.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
Related to China in Africa chat from a few pages back, the Economist just published an interesting article on the subject.

Apparently they haven't been able to really convert economic activity to political power on the continent. It's also got a good chart covering FDI in Africa, and China is only 4 on the list behind Italy (lol :italy: ).

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

iyaayas01 posted:

I wish the govt would just get out of the way so the Houthis and AQAP can have a knock-down drag-out.

So we can make sure the action keeps going we can start lobbing Hellfires at whoever looks like they're winning.

I'm looking forward to seeing the Saudi's squirm at a Shia state cropping up next to them personally.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

http://www.cnn.com/2015/01/18/politics/joe-biden-delaware-shooting/index.html

some jackasses attempted to take out diamond joe

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
too bad he wasnt there to fire two shotgun blasts from the balconey into the air to scare em off

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
He'd tear off after them in his Trans Am

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

iyaayas01 posted:

Or rescue for "the canopy won't open because of a LockMart software bug"'

That's why line rats carry speed handles. That and how else do you open it when the battery dies?

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

ManMythLegend posted:

Related to China in Africa chat from a few pages back, the Economist just published an interesting article on the subject.

Apparently they haven't been able to really convert economic activity to political power on the continent. It's also got a good chart covering FDI in Africa, and China is only 4 on the list behind Italy (lol :italy: ).

I wonder what they're investing in or building in Africa. Ports, highways and railroads probably.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Bolow posted:

I'm looking forward to seeing the Saudi's squirm at a Shia state cropping up next to them personally.

They'll just built another Great Wall of Arabia like they're doing on their northern border.

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

too bad he wasnt there to fire two shotgun blasts from the balconey into the air to scare em off

This was my first thought

priznat posted:

He'd tear off after them in his Trans Am

And this was my second.

He'll stop to grab some ice cream after he's caught them.

CMD598 posted:

That's why line rats carry speed handles. That and how else do you open it when the battery dies?

Well this was a thing that happened so

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I wonder what they're investing in or building in Africa. Ports, highways and railroads probably.

Primarily mines, and the infrastructure that will allow for better extraction and export of the raw materials. Also, like everywhere else in the world, telecoms.

Edit: Oh, and also farms. China has an obscene lack of arable land at home so they're starting to shift food production to Africa.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

A modern day Strategic Defense Initiative, if you will.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

psydude posted:

A modern day Strategic Defense Initiative, if you will.

I prefer the term Global Defense Initiative

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
You fight evil around the world every day, Drone striking weddings and using vaccine programs to catch freedom fighters. Then you wake up and realize you are the Brotherhood of Nod and China are actually the good guys.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

You fight evil around the world every day, Drone striking weddings and using vaccine programs to catch freedom fighters. Then you wake up and realize you are the Brotherhood of Nod and China are actually the good guys.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

http://www.duffelblog.com/2015/01/boko-haram/

Sounds about right.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

kane did nothing wrong

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

kane did nothing wrong

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Lots of railroads, apparently. China Railway Construction (a state-owned company, of course) scored a $12 billion contract late last year to build railroads along Nigeria's coast. If I'm not mistaken that would make it China's biggest overseas contract by a pretty wide margin.

http://www.dw.de/china-firm-wins-huge-nigerian-railway-contract/a-18075475

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Well if there's one thing the Chinese are really good at it's building railroads

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Bolow posted:

Well if there's one thing the Chinese are really good at it's building railroads

You might think that, but are there really any of them left to pass along the tradition?

• Locked thread