Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Oh my goodness, gracious me. I'm looking at my watch and you wouldn't even believe what time it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Cleretic posted:

Vriskatime isn't back. Vriskatime never LEFT!

HOW DID YOU EXPECT TO OUTRUN VRISKATIME, IT'S ALREADY HERE

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
We're just not gonna get to see how Vriska was talked out of fighting Jack, huh?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Weren't those ==> from Doc Scratch's bowl?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, heaven forbid we actually get the logical and well-foreshadowed conclusion and not random bullshit that might make some d-bag feel clever for a fleeting, transient, ephemeral second.

it's not foreshadowing if it's about as subtle as an anvil falling on your head from 50 feet

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I COMPLETELY forgot she could do that some how.

Also not even back 3 seconds(years) and already stealing the spotlight.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Woof. That update was yawntastic.

That aside, okay, so Jade and Jane aren't dead. Meaning the post-hiatus poo poo storm never happened. Meaning we now wait for the "good version" of the events. Alright, take it away Hussie.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Yes, heaven forbid we actually get the logical and well-foreshadowed conclusion and not random bullshit that might make some d-bag feel clever for a fleeting, transient, ephemeral second.

I don't mind the plot playing out logically. I just feel like it would have been served better if there was also something for us to speculate about over the next break.

But I'm looking at tumblr and like half of them didn't see this coming, so what do I know.

Rose Spirit
Nov 4, 2010

:33 < APEX PURREDATOR
I want to click the little Vriska in the corner but I can't :saddowns:

Action Shakespeare
Mar 25, 2010

TIME magazine's Person of the Year 1996

Color Printer posted:

Guess what time it is.

Guess what time it's always been

Guess what time it will be forever

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

Glazius posted:

Aranea didn't make it a doomed timeline. If she'd actually succeeded in "healing" it and excising Lord English or whatever she was trying, that could possibly have doomed it. And she did manage to toss Jake an invincibility star, kill Jade, and unleash the subjugglator, but )(IC showed up and put a stop to all that. As far as we know that's how everything is supposed to happen.

She also killed Jake and Jane and Terezi, destroyed six planets, brought about the sequence of events where Karkat, Gamzee, Kanaya, Dave, and Rose died, and got the Ring of Life dropped in lava. And of course you mentioned Jade's death already. I don't think that's the sequence of events that was supposed to happen.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

Rose Spirit posted:

I can but it doesn't do anything

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
Things I noticed:

- Rose is no longer drunk.
- Terezi does not have her sight healed.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
EDIT: ^^ Beaten, just, but there's one more.

Something a friend of mine pointed out: More changed aobut that scene than Vriska.

The original:

In the new version, Terezi's still blind, Rose isn't being supported by Kanaya, and Gamzee's nowhere to be seen.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cleretic posted:

Terezi's still blind

WELL she's wearing her shades, at least.

I mean literally everything else (particularly her presumably never getting into an abusive relationship with Gamzee) point to that but I mean. Hussie.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l1p0bLkNGa0

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Personally, I was hoping for someone else (like anybody else), but what really disappointed me about this update was the fact it's so short and unexciting. Unexciting because I'm not a huge fan of Vriska, and the fact that any real element of surprise was successfully demolished by this thread's speculation. :v:

I think I was expecting a flash movie as well, so that didn't really help. In the end, I don't really feel like much happened. (Also Vriska's grin at the end freaks me out for some reason)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rose Spirit posted:

Also, I hate Hussie SO MUCH. SO MUCH. stop having a life, artist, just cater to my whims and draw 25/7. thank you.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Bilirubin posted:

Weren't those ==> from Doc Scratch's bowl?
Could be. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start playing a role in the story again, with all the changes John has made to a timeline that he had full total knowledge of.

As for the changes: somehow Vriska being on the meteor actually turned out to be for the best? I mean her being there isn't the only change, but it is the most significant.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Bobulus posted:

But I'm looking at tumblr and like half of them didn't see this coming, so what do I know.

Yeah, but let's be honest here tumblr is a little dumb.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

After some thinking, only one thing would be needed to jazz up this update: some guitar riffs.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Predictable or not, Vriska's return (and the return of Vriskatime) is basically the only the only thing that could tide me over for another likely year-long hiatus.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

This should've been used again as the update music imo

Please don't be another year... I've really liked having Homestuck back.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

lotus circle posted:

Could be. I'd be surprised if he doesn't start playing a role in the story again, with all the changes John has made to a timeline that he had full total knowledge of.

As for the changes: somehow Vriska being on the meteor actually turned out to be for the best? I mean her being there isn't the only change, but it is the most significant.

Sure, like for one, how do they get of that damned thing now?

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Can you imagine if this scuttles both Meenah/Vriska and Kanaya/Rose? :allears:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I somehow forgot Jade and Jane have both been shown to be rather susceptible to Serket sleep powers so that's a good solution to that problem. On the other hand Vriska has had 3 good ends to her character arc and every time she returns after each I grow less confident that her actual end will be as satisfying.

Also, with Jade asleep she was presumably never able to steal Earth before it gone blown up by meteorites so that's a shame. Unless that occurred before the meteorite arrived of course.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Yeah, I have to agree this felt underwhelming. I mean, yeah it's the way for the story to go that isn't nonsense but... I guess I'm just kind of done with Vriska at this point. She's effectively gone through her character arc a bunch of times, and I'm not really seeing an exciting new direction on the horizon.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I approve of this logical story progression, and the eternal mobius strip of Vriskatime to begin/continue/end/begin/continue.

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf
It's basically what everyone expecting but that doesn't mean it's a bad update, the music's fantastic and it's a cool moment of Vriska being cool, just disappointing because of the timing...I would have preferred to go into the new pause with something to speculate about. Would have been nice to jump ahead to something else and have this shocking twist reserved for later. (I laughed at the big rear end 'spoiler' in the URL. Seriously I'm pretty sure Hussie wouldn't have slapped 'shes8ack' up there if it was supposed to be some big reveal. If there are fans out there blown away at this revelation I can only assume...I dunno, that they're pretty dumb? Or was Jane and Jade being alive the more surprising part for them?)

And I kind of worry that the pause might be longer than we expect. The tone of Hussie's posts on the site have been so different lately, and the fact that he didn't accomplish nearly as much as he expected to during the Gigapause makes me kind of wonder if he might have lost a lot of his motivation or be suffering from writer's block or just too drat busy with other things. You take a break from a project for months, even one that you've worked on for years, and it can be tough getting back into it again.

Oh well, music is still awesome. :)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

My early prediction of Vriska coming back to be the one who kills Lord English inches closer to being true

Hussie has such a weird loving boner for her, i don't know why

e: oh no if vriska is back that means we won't get to see as much john :(

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I very much doubt we're in for a year of a pause. Maybe a couple months, tops, (and that is a BIG estimation) but not a year. Keep in mind he thought he could get things out without a substantial pause with the initial update schedule; even if he both underestimated the work needed and overestimated the amount of content he had, that doesn't add up to 'we're waiting another year'.

CAR CRASH CRACKERS
Jan 13, 2008

commemorative spoons and tiny personalized license plates: the regalia of tourism
I'm glad we now have a Vriska untainted by Tavros's lameness.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Zoe posted:

And I kind of worry that the pause might be longer than we expect. The tone of Hussie's posts on the site have been so different lately, and the fact that he didn't accomplish nearly as much as he expected to during the Gigapause makes me kind of wonder if he might have lost a lot of his motivation or be suffering from writer's block or just too drat busy with other things. You take a break from a project for months, even one that you've worked on for years, and it can be tough getting back into it again.

Oh well, music is still awesome. :)

Funnily, ever since I started following regularly in 2011, I've had this opinion. Every newspost, even the ones announcing an upcoming update, has announced that there would be less content at a slower pace than anticipated. At a certain point, you start to laugh it off and be thankful that at least you're not a GRRM fan.

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
Frankly, I'll take all diabolical-responsible-for-everything-Vriska (Vriska) any day especially if it means scrapping all of her saccharine 'character development.'

I also just noticed the page title is renamed "shes8ack" which is neat.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012
If you think about it, your crush gaining reality-rewriting powers and using those powers to save you from an untimely death is basically the luckiest thing ever.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
She's smiling at the end because she's planning on eating them.

Because she's fat.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Anyone else feel like Hussie's treating Vriska the same way George Lucas treated Darth Vader in the Star Wars prequels? Letting the popularity of the character within the fanbase dictate how he writes her more than his original plan?

Like people have said, Vriska's had three acceptable ends to her character arc at this point, and bringing her back, especially with such build-up and spectacle, feels like one of the most unnecessary paths the story could have taken.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

frozentreasure posted:

Anyone else feel like Hussie's treating Vriska the same way George Lucas treated Darth Vader in the Star Wars prequels? Letting the popularity of the character within the fanbase dictate how he writes her more than his original plan?

Like people have said, Vriska's had three acceptable ends to her character arc at this point, and bringing her back, especially with such build-up and spectacle, feels like one of the most unnecessary paths the story could have taken.

He's been doing that from the word go, though. The trolls weren't going to have even remotely this much presence in the story, up until the point that they became some of the most popular characters in the story.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cabbit posted:

He's been doing that from the word go, though. The trolls weren't going to have even remotely this much presence in the story, up until the point that they became some of the most popular characters in the story.

Vriska's basically taken John's place as the main character, so yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I'm guessing Vriska is going to end up with everything...

... except the one thing she really wants/needs, someone (be it John or Meenah) who likes her.