Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Quarex posted:

Well I loved it, Dwarf74. Though the concept of not understanding how this would work mystifies me; they made it clear like 5 minutes in that the Nazis had the atomic bomb, and the subtext there is that the USA did not. So we probably gave up rather than lose all the rest of our major cities the same way. Is it really that hard to rationalize?

(Plus, if the Soviet-Nazi alliance had ACTUALLY held up, there is another major reason the Axis was doomed that is averted)
Awesome!

My wife doesn't watch much, but I talked her into giving it a shot.

It's... Surprisingly good on a second watch, once you know the ending twist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DocBubonic posted:

If we're gonna talk about Alt history books, I feel the need to bring up the Iron Dream

Yeah, you read that right. Adolf Hitler's best science fiction novel.

Here's an explanation:

This book by the way is back in print http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Dream-Norman-Spinrad/dp/1490439455/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1421570335&sr=8-2&keywords=the+iron+dream All I have ever heard is good things about this book, but it's not something you want to be caught reading during your morning/evening commute. Just look at that cover for fucks sake.

Though I do have an unrelated question, are there any good gaming podcasts out there? I already listen to Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff, One Shot, Campaign and sometimes Role Playing Public Radio's actualplays. So any podcasts about actual plays, or just discussions about roleplaying or boardgaming in general it would be much appreciated

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
System Mastery is Fatal and Friends: The Podcast, though I find it much funnier than the actual thread. The Game Design Round Table is also a regular listen for me, although that's more about boardgames and (strategy) video games.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've been slowly rediscovering old sessions that my buddy had recorded and posted to RPPR. Some goon had commented on it, maybe SageNytell? I forgot these sessions existed. I'm also fairly certain my voice can be heard in two other groups recordings as they float around the Internet.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

PresidentBeard posted:

Hey now let's not get hasty. Green Ronin's aSoIaF rpg was really good, and you're wrong if you think otherwise. It also wasn't d20. Also if you enjoy d0 games the Black Company book was good for replacing Vancian casting and offering the first real mass combat rules for the system.

I've gotta agree with you on the Black Company book. It was d20, with all the attendant problems that come alongside the d20 engine, but as the Black Company novels are literally "Wizards are loving evil and overpowered, and nothing will go right ever", it's not a bad system to run them on. And that they used an alternate casing system to represent this really worked in the game's favor.

It's not some revolutionary departure like Fiasco or Dogs in the Vineyard, but it does a very good job of emulating the source material. It's not a book you'd use to play something other than a Black Company style game (i.e. it'd be horrible for dungeon crawling or peaceful exploration), but there are rules you could pinch for use in other d20 games if you wanted to get creative.

I'll see if I can get a FATAL and Friends review of it written up in a week or two, depending on how the rest of my schedule looks.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I'm working on a gumshoe system horror game and one scenario is set inside a midwestern hotel by the highway. The characters are trapped in it, so I need to map it out entirely. Finding floor plans is one thing, but figuring out what a 150 room hotel would have in its basement is another - laundry facilities, a transformer, but what else?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

clockworkjoe posted:

I'm working on a gumshoe system horror game and one scenario is set inside a midwestern hotel by the highway. The characters are trapped in it, so I need to map it out entirely. Finding floor plans is one thing, but figuring out what a 150 room hotel would have in its basement is another - laundry facilities, a transformer, but what else?

An industrial boiler for the heating of the building and heating of water. This would be a pretty big piece of machinery.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

clockworkjoe posted:

Cold War era bomb shelter converted to employee locker rooms and gyms.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

clockworkjoe posted:

A maintenance workshop where pretty much anything you might find in the hotel could be repaired. A large storage area for spare stuff, parts for stuff, and broken stuff waiting to be fixed.

Plant rooms for things like boilers, air conditioners, water pumps, elevators etc including a bigass diesel backup generator and its fuel tanks.

Comms stuff, like phone distribution frames and networking gear.

The employee smoke-break corner.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Jan 19, 2015

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

Covok posted:

I have Diaspora from an old Bundle Of Holding. Is it any good? Because I'm interested in playing this Hack now.
Diaspora is awful. You do not want to play it. Even before Fate Core came out it was way too fiddly for a Fate game.

You know how Fate Core has pretty much gone the route of slimming things down and removing most fiddly modifiers from things like equipment? Diaspora goes the other way, hard.

For example, IIRC there are three different "shoot things" skills, with different weapon tables for each. But if you're in zero gravity your skill is capped by your EVA skill. Unless you're using laser weapons (since there's no recoil the firing characteristics aren't affected). There are tons of other fiddly exceptions like that.

Plus it has the "way too many aspects" problem that a lot of old Fate games have.

When we tried it we didn't end up using the cluster generation rules, but I'd agree with Echophonic. If you're looking to play a hard space sci-fi game, you're way better off with Fate Core as a base and grabbing a few things from Diaspora that look interesting.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
I don't feel I should open a new thread without an interest check first: I'm looking for recommendations for my next RPG.

I want to run something modern, kinda like Hunter: The Vigil but the problem is my players hate the d10 storyteller system. I haven't played a huge variety of RPGs myself, mostly D&D, Gurps, nWoD, one session of Vampire the Masquerade, Iron Kingdoms and a few sessions of Dark Heresy, first edition.

We're currently playing D&D 4e, and loving it, but I'm sick of running dungeon/fantasy stuff.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Have you looked at the Zeitgeist 4e adventure path? There's still some standard medieval fantasy and dungeon stuff, but it's mostly Renaissance/Industrial Revolution. They actually have guns that are worth using. The adventures are really well put together, but also very light on detail--NPC write-ups will usually just say "This character wants this that and these, and will respond in X way if the PCs do Y" instead of having any dialogue written out, for example. They've got free trials for download here.

EN Publishing has another 4e adventure path called Santiago that's full-on sci-fi, but it doesn't have as many of its adventures released and I didn't think it looked as good as Zeitgeist.

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 20, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

How do they feel about GURPS? It is not to everyone's tastes, but I find it so flexible and efficient that I can't help but recommend it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

I don't feel I should open a new thread without an interest check first: I'm looking for recommendations for my next RPG.

I want to run something modern, kinda like Hunter: The Vigil but the problem is my players hate the d10 storyteller system. I haven't played a huge variety of RPGs myself, mostly D&D, Gurps, nWoD, one session of Vampire the Masquerade, Iron Kingdoms and a few sessions of Dark Heresy, first edition.

We're currently playing D&D 4e, and loving it, but I'm sick of running dungeon/fantasy stuff.

I almost think we should have a "Recommend me a game" thread, with a questionnaire in the OP to help head off the obvious ones.

That said: is your group open to games like Fate, or do they prefer more traditional mechanics? Do they enjoy getting to grips with all of 4e's details, or do you think they'd go for something with fewer bells and whistles? Also, it'd help to know what they didn't like about the nWoD dice pools, as that can help rule out other suggestions.

You may want to check out Night's Black Agents. It's a GUMSHOE game about spies vs. vampires, but everyone's vampires are different and you can run everything from George Smiley to Jason Bourne as a PC. It's got excellent GM support for building conspiracies, which helps.

Alternatively, Unknown Armies is pretty much the RPG of 90s occult weirdness; it's Tim Powers meets J.G. Ballard with one of the only good percentile systems ever written. It's by Greg Stolze and John Tynes, and the combat system starts with the brilliant "six ways to avoid a fight".

If you're after a more trad-Cthulhu "investigate the supernatural horrors while trying not to go mad" type of game, you might want to give NEMESIS a shot. It uses the One Roll Engine, which does involve rolling multiple d10s so may fall foul of your group's issues there.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.

DigitalRaven posted:

I almost think we should have a "Recommend me a game" thread, with a questionnaire in the OP to help head off the obvious ones.

Like this one?

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

crime fighting hog posted:

If you're looking for something with 4e-like combat but modern, your choices are:
a) reskin 4e
b) play Strike!

Of course, if tactical combat is not a priority, you have more options.

Jimbozig fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 20, 2015

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I looked and couldn't find the 'help me pick a game!' thread, so:

Help me pick a game!

I'm in an odd situation. I've moved to Washington recently but I still do Skype gaming with my group in Colorado, and we're currently playing a 5th edition game. Unfortunately, the DM for said game is going to be out of town this Sunday, and they asked if I wanted to run a game (apparently over Skype), which sounds like an interesting experiment. They're all going to be around a table in person with a voice coming from the computer.

Bonus complication: I'm moving to a new apartment soon, and I've recently packed all of my stuff. Pretty much every single RPG book I own is now packed up.

As such, I'm looking for a quick game, and especially looking for a quick game that I can acquired for the low, low price of absolutely free. It's best if the characters are quickly generated or come pre-generated, because this is just going to be a one-shot. I'm cool with sort of out-there games, fine with .pdfs (kind of prefer it, given the circumstances), but really dislike most of my experiences with the *World line so I'm planning to stay away from those. Thanks for any help.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Swags posted:

As such, I'm looking for a quick game, and especially looking for a quick game that I can acquired for the low, low price of absolutely free. It's best if the characters are quickly generated or come pre-generated, because this is just going to be a one-shot. I'm cool with sort of out-there games, fine with .pdfs (kind of prefer it, given the circumstances), but really dislike most of my experiences with the *World line so I'm planning to stay away from those. Thanks for any help.

The first game that springs to mind based on what you're looking for...free, comes with pregen characters, made for a one-shot, kind of out there...is Lady Blackbird.

Also where are you in Washington, if that's not too personal a question?

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

The first game that springs to mind based on what you're looking for...free, comes with pregen characters, made for a one-shot, kind of out there...is Lady Blackbird.

Also where are you in Washington, if that's not too personal a question?

We originally moved to Renton, but we're moving to Kirkland at the end of the month. Found a very nice apartment up there.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Lasers and Feelings

or perhaps the free version of

into the odd

(Lady Blackbird is also a good game.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Swags posted:

We originally moved to Renton, but we're moving to Kirkland at the end of the month. Found a very nice apartment up there.

Ah okay, I'm several hours south of you then.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Ah okay, I'm several hours south of you then.

Well, if you're going to Emerald City Comic Con, I'm going to be there, so maybe we could get in a game or something.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm reading through Designers and Dragons at the moment and the 70's reads like an E! True Hollywood Story episode. When I read about people having a meteoric rise to success like that I just expect them to crash, which I guess they do to a degree. I wish they had pictures of half the people though because I really had no idea what Dave Arneson looked look until I looked him up, he's the bastard child of Gary Gygax and Larry Elmore.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Might I recommend World of Dungeons? Very open-ended and easy to play, character creation can take all of 30 seconds, and it's still made for dungeon crawling.

DalaranJ posted:

Lasers and Feelings

(Lady Blackbird is also a good game.)

Huh. Apparently John Harper made all these games. Seems like a pretty cool guy to have designed such nice little systems.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Swags posted:

I looked and couldn't find the 'help me pick a game!' thread, so:

Help me pick a game!

I'm in an odd situation. I've moved to Washington recently but I still do Skype gaming with my group in Colorado, and we're currently playing a 5th edition game. Unfortunately, the DM for said game is going to be out of town this Sunday, and they asked if I wanted to run a game (apparently over Skype), which sounds like an interesting experiment. They're all going to be around a table in person with a voice coming from the computer.

Bonus complication: I'm moving to a new apartment soon, and I've recently packed all of my stuff. Pretty much every single RPG book I own is now packed up.

In addition to what's already been said:

Cthulhu Dark (Lovecraftian horror), Danger Mountain (disaster B-movie), Deeds and Doers (very light DnD), GHOST/ECHO (sci-fi action), Hell Vice Merciless (Hotline Miami), Pocket Danger Patrol (or Pocket Gamma Patrol, Danger Patrol is atomic-era retrofuturistic sci-fi, Gamma Patrol is the system applied to a Gamma World-like post-apocalypse), Hubris (monster horror movies like Alien), Big Mutherfuckin' Crab Truckers (self-explanatory), The Bear is Loose Within the Circus (hack of Be Ashamed, Young Prince; Cold War espionage in the British spy world), XXXXtreme Street Luge (self-explanatory except your characters all vaguely resemble Vin Diesel, also there's a newer version out I think), Until We Sink (tricky to describe), The Thought Police (ordinary civilians and a telepath in a totalitarian state), Schizonauts (surreal secret service intrigue), Rock of Tahamaat (sci-fi theoretical experiment), Pokethulhu (self-explanatory)

Some of these are more out-there than others.

EDIT: John Harper also made GHOST/ECHO, so that's another good one-shot game of his. Hell Vice Merciless was made by LordVonEarlDuke on SA.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 20, 2015

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Thanks all for the suggestions, I'll check em out!

The 'problem' (not really a problem) with my group, it's a mixed bag. Two of my players have never played RPGs before we started playing 4e (they love it) while another two of my players have been doing it since we were kids. Last player has been doing it for a couple years now and she enjoys it, but not in a tactical sense, mostly she lets her boyfriend choose what she does each turn.

I love playing/reading nWoD but they don't want to play it, so I was shopping around for something like that. We're still a couple months away from finishing up our current game, though.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Auuguhhghh I need a new LGS.

MIne has reached maximum allowable levels of creepy. :negative:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Reene posted:

Auuguhhghh I need a new LGS.

MIne has reached maximum allowable levels of creepy. :negative:

How creepy is that? I keep hoping a LGS worth going to opens up around me but no dice. We have one where the guy that runs it detests comics and Magic (his two biggest things)and takes a gun to work with him, one that doesn't follow their printed business hours and shows up whenever he feels like it, and the last that most deals in Warhams but doesn't accept anything but cash.

In the past we had one that operated out of a storage locker and one where the employees might look up from WoW long enough to take your money.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

DigitalRaven posted:

If you're after a more trad-Cthulhu "investigate the supernatural horrors while trying not to go mad" type of game, you might want to give NEMESIS a shot. It uses the One Roll Engine, which does involve rolling multiple d10s so may fall foul of your group's issues there.

Nemesis is free, but it has no support. I like the system, but if you want anything that isn't in the book then you're out of luck. Plenty of other CoC type systems out there (besides CoC itself) and they do have support.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

DocBubonic posted:

Nemesis is free, but it has no support. I like the system, but if you want anything that isn't in the book then you're out of luck. Plenty of other CoC type systems out there (besides CoC itself) and they do have support.

Well, yes. You have to make it up. It's a roleplaying game. Making poo poo up is how it works...

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
Since we're talking Lady Blackbird I'll throw out Bugs of Venus, a hack of Death School/Lady Blackbird.

Less fantasy/sci-fi/steampunk, more post apoc earth fighting giant bugs.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

Len posted:

How creepy is that? I keep hoping a LGS worth going to opens up around me but no dice. We have one where the guy that runs it detests comics and Magic (his two biggest things)and takes a gun to work with him, one that doesn't follow their printed business hours and shows up whenever he feels like it, and the last that most deals in Warhams but doesn't accept anything but cash.

In the past we had one that operated out of a storage locker and one where the employees might look up from WoW long enough to take your money.

For the past month or so I've been fending off a dude that has no sense of when it is and isn't okay to touch somebody. Like he'll walk up behind me and hug me or pat my head and poo poo. He also doesn't appear to bathe/groom much, wears sweatpants, and is a brony.

Last Friday I struck up a convo with a guy who seemed cool and said I should give me his number so he could let me know when some shows were going to be playing in his neighborhood. I should have spotted this flimsy pretext but several days, many texts inviting me to "pajama parties" and a phone call later the dude is terminally not understanding that I don't want to have sex with him and indeed would very much like to be left alone.

I just wanted to make friends :negative:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

And the store staff are just letting this happen? Sucky regardless.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Reene posted:

For the past month or so I've been fending off a dude that has no sense of when it is and isn't okay to touch somebody. Like he'll walk up behind me and hug me or pat my head and poo poo. He also doesn't appear to bathe/groom much, wears sweatpants, and is a brony.

Last Friday I struck up a convo with a guy who seemed cool and said I should give me his number so he could let me know when some shows were going to be playing in his neighborhood. I should have spotted this flimsy pretext but several days, many texts inviting me to "pajama parties" and a phone call later the dude is terminally not understanding that I don't want to have sex with him and indeed would very much like to be left alone.

That sounds like absolute rear end. Block that f*cker's text and tell him to take a hike! Sorry, I know that's easier said than done and sometimes avoidance is better depending on the circumstances, but I had to say that.

I also feel inclined to say "no gaming is better than bad gaming." If people are making you uncomfortable and you're not having fun, it's better to not go to that LGS. If it's just a few people spoiling the stew, I'd suggest setting boundaries with these guys and hoping your friends there can help out.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Reene posted:

Oh sweet merciful Jesus, I am so terribly sorry that you had to deal with this unmitigated horseshit at your LGS.
Have you considered talking it out with the owner of the place? Maybe he'd take your side; that guy is, after all, bothering a paying customer. If he doesn't, I say follow Covok's advice and ditch the place. This medium is supposed to be about fun, and if you are playing in an unfun setting than it's an exercise in futility.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
About a decade and a half ago I had a guy walk up and grab one of my rear end cheeks and pinch it. Hard.

He was friends with the dude that I was playing a game against, I had never met him before, and his supposed reason for doing this was that it would throw me off my game.

Anyway I was pretty upset. The owner refused to do anything about this. Wouldn't even warn the guy.

I found out later he kicked somebody in the nuts, hard, after a joking "Want to ro-sham-bo for it?" quip. After this happened he was finally not welcome (and arrested).

I am not going to pretend this is expected behavior but there are a lot of handsy motherfuckers with loose boundaries at game stores out there, certainly more than in any other hobby I've ever been in.

Edit: That reminds me, the last time I was at this place I was harangued for about 15 minutes for saying that I didn't play World of Warcraft and didn't like the game. Some stores are just bad, man.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

And the store staff are just letting this happen? Sucky regardless.

The last time I went to a new LGS, the staff were in on it (although it was comparatively tame). The guy behind the counter was talking about how he picked a fight on some LGBT facebook page, doing the whole "if they were really tolerant they'd be tolerant of my intolerance" rant when I just wanted to be left to play EDH with my friend.

I'm really lucky my usual place isn't anything like that, and the most we have to worry about is people trying to bum cigarettes when we go for a smoke between rounds.

Otherkinsey Scale fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 20, 2015

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

The staff would probably back me up if I complained but I'm afraid of becoming known as the girl that can't take a joke/compliment/whatever and it's just a lovely situation all around.

I really like the store, most of the people are very rad and I've been doing FNM there for ages, but yeah.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Reene posted:

The staff would probably back me up if I complained but I'm afraid of becoming known as the girl that can't take a joke/compliment/whatever and it's just a lovely situation all around.

I've never been in your particular situation, but couldn't you say "Hey that's the guy, he's Mr. Hands" to the staff and they keep and eye on him, come over and pull him aside when he starts his act? Then it looks like they are organically stepping into the situation and you don't have to feel like "can't take a joke/compliment" (although getting touchy with someone you don't know isn't a joke or a compliment, it's loving annoying)

I mean I would imagine if you someone on staff "hey, I'm not going to do FNM anymore or come back here because of Mr. Hands" they would want to help out but again, I've never been in your particular situation so I apologize if this is naive/stupid thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I mean I would imagine if you someone on staff "hey, I'm not going to do FNM anymore or come back here because of Mr. Hands" they would want to help out but again, I've never been in your particular situation so I apologize if this is naive/stupid thinking.

Yeah, I don't play magic any more because I complained about a dude offering to grab my chest during a game and became an immediate social pariah.

• Locked thread