Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rarrgh
Nov 7, 2011

Jerusalem posted:

I was trying to figure out why Jarvis was familiar,...

He's also a few characters from Cloud Atlas (an excellent movie).

* Young Rufus Sixsmith
* Old Rufus Sixsmith
* Nurse James
* Archivist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

AbsolutelySane posted:

Grease gun (edit - above is right, I'm misremembering it, it was a Tommy Gun with a straight clip), actually, but yeah, it was. The SSR was certainly creative with fronts in the '40's. It looks like they got lazy at some point, if TWS is any indication. 'Yeah, let's just put it in a fake munitions bunker on a National Guard post.' is a far cry from what they're doing in this show. I guess they were afraid Zola would keep the neighbors up, or something.

At that point they were growing into SHIELD proper most likely. But even then, remember that one of the secret bases shown on AoS had a barber shop entrance.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i haven't overlayed the images or anything, but is the SSR office in Carter, the same one Coulsons using?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Rarrgh posted:

Cloud Atlas (an excellent movie).

Ha!

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Rocksicles posted:

i haven't overlayed the images or anything, but is the SSR office in Carter, the same one Coulsons using?

It shouldn't be. I don't remember AoS being based out of New York City. The AoS base that Coulson is using seems to be more like some kind of bunker or something. I got the feeling that it was used during the war (if only because the only allusions to the old SSR has been through flashbacks in dealing with Nazi HYDRA.)

So basically, more akin to the secret base in Captain America 1, than the office in Carter.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
yeah, just remembered about the plane hangar. :flubrain:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I thought they might be sharing sets or something.

I'd really like to see more links between the two shows, given the SSR base provides a perfect link.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Jerusalem posted:

I was trying to figure out why Jarvis was familiar, he's the creepy stalker/probable rapist-murderer from season 2 of Broadchurch - it's amazing the difference a suit and an affected manner of speech makes.

He also plays the villain in the comedy Let's Be Cops.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Party Plane Jones posted:

He also plays the villain in the comedy Let's Be Cops.

Pretty sure that's General Zod in a tracksuit.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Bruceski posted:

I've got one question: why was the boat still there? It's been quite a while since the stuff was stolen, and the key thing about boats is that they move. Even if you just sail it to another dock, don't leave the boat full of stuff you stole right next to your exit.

I can think of two separate reasons that the boat would still be there. First, they didn't want to draw attention to it after the robbery by moving it right after someone broke into the vault and second the mook's boss was dead so there was nobody to tell him to move it.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

muscles like this? posted:

I can think of two separate reasons that the boat would still be there. First, they didn't want to draw attention to it after the robbery by moving it right after someone broke into the vault and second the mook's boss was dead so there was nobody to tell him to move it.
. Brannis was also still looking for a buyer when he was killed.

The Yellow Ant
Apr 6, 2004

I can lift 50 times my own weight in hope.

SirDan3k posted:

The dark haired leviathan guy mentioned they were only actually after one particular thing from the vault and he broke ranks to try and sell the rest, that's what got the blond leviathan guy after him.

The thing they were actually after is probably a reverse engineered and incomplete super solider serum to bring the story full circle.
Obviously the Tesseract. Stark finds it at the end of Captain America but keeps it a secret.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Please tell me the ratings are doing good on this show. It's been really pretty great so far. Of all the things I expected of this show when I heard it announced (I assumed it'd be a WW2 show), what I didn't was such gray-area look at the 50s, with lots of gruff, bad things happening but good people doing them because it's the mindset of the era. Plus, it delivers on other levels too.

Really digging this show. They learned a lot from their early fumble with SHIELD and hit the ground running this time.

twistedmentat posted:

And now Peggy has that dudes death on her head.

I like the crumbs on his desk.

Quick question: What was the real tell for that scene? They very second it cut to them in the car, before anyone even showed up, I knew that guy was going to die. Like I'd been shocked if he didn't, even when there was no threat. Maybe the back of my mind figured out that "Well, they're going to have to off the witness.." but I was thinking she'd have to deal with him in the next episode so I don't think that was it. Just something about the way it was shot.

I did love how they killed the guy they dumped on all episode. That's pretty drat awesome, because usually if someone's going to die, they get their moment to shine in a great way; instead he mostly got ragged on and insulted but in the end nobody actually hated him, and it made it somehow one of the better executed TV deaths of a character that's barely been around for a few episodes because you could tell he was kind of an rear end but was still not evil. I have to give them some props, I don't think that could have been handled much better.

I also like how this show manages to both stay somewhat light while really getting pretty loving dark. It's a hard line to walk.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Jan 18, 2015

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Blazing Ownager posted:

Please tell me the ratings are doing good on this show. It's been really pretty great so far. Of all the things I expected of this show when I heard it announced (I assumed it'd be a WW2 show), what I didn't was such gray-area look at the 50s, with lots of gruff, bad things happening but good people doing them because it's the mindset of the era.

Just to note, it's actually set in 1946.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Blazing Ownager posted:

Quick question: What was the real tell for that scene? They very second it cut to them in the car, before anyone even showed up, I knew that guy was going to die. Like I'd been shocked if he didn't, even when there was no threat. Maybe the back of my mind figured out that "Well, they're going to have to off the witness.." but I was thinking she'd have to deal with him in the next episode so I don't think that was it. Just something about the way it was shot.

I think it's the fact that you can see a car trailing them closely, and the fact that he had absolutely no backup with him for some reason. Plus the street they're on is clearly deserted, so there's nobody else around to help out.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Polaron posted:

I think it's the fact that you can see a car trailing them closely, and the fact that he had absolutely no backup with him for some reason. Plus the street they're on is clearly deserted, so there's nobody else around to help out.

Yeah, its the usual TV stupidity. "We're taking all these inventions back to the base in a heavily defended convoy. You will take the only witness back to the same base, but be sure to take a completely different route and go all alone"

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Honestly I was expecting him to get hit by the train.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

First Bass posted:

Honestly I was expecting him to get hit by the train.

That was totally what I thought was going to happen, too.

Every time I watch a show where you hear the train alarm sound somebody usually gets eaten by a train, so that was a nice change of pace.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
They just changed the schedule for the Portland Comic Con this coming weekend to add Brett Dalton and Ming-na Wen to the guest list, so now I'm twice as excited to go since I'm going to get my picture taken with Ward and May. :D

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Enjoyed the three episodes, but forgot to watch the end credits. Is there any extra plot at the end (like in AoS)?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

spookygonk posted:

Enjoyed the three episodes, but forgot to watch the end credits. Is there any extra plot at the end (like in AoS)?

Nah, just goes to credits. At least on Hulu.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
It's been talked about a bunch, but watching this and Broadchurch is giving me hella James D'arcy whiplash

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Seems like they are showing the first one on Canadian TV again. I wonder if that is a mix up.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

SpannerX posted:

Seems like they are showing the first one on Canadian TV again. I wonder if that is a mix up.

Nah, no episode airing in the US this week due to State of the Address.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
countries hosed, it's not worth missing TV for

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
If you want to make the state of the union fun, imagine he's in an alternate universe where he isn't a compete buffoon and actually capable of pushing his agenda through congress without a supermajority. Kind of like The Man in the High Castle, but if the bad guys won.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

hope and vaseline posted:

Fedora guy was watching Jarvis and Peggy at the harbor though.

It's obviously Kaiser Soze.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

HotCanadianChick posted:

They just changed the schedule for the Portland Comic Con this coming weekend to add Brett Dalton and Ming-na Wen to the guest list, so now I'm twice as excited to go since I'm going to get my picture taken with Ward and May. :D

Ask them if their characters hosed, or just talked

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

jivjov posted:

Ask them if their characters hosed, or just talked

Also ask if they'd ever consider introducing something as major as the Inhumans on a TV show

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
ASK HIM IF HE SHOT THE DOG

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
Ask them if May shot the dog.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Ask them if Ward hosed the dog, May shot the dog, and if the dog is an Inhuman.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Slamhound posted:

Ask them if Ward hosed the dog, May shot the dog, and if the dog is an Inhuman.

oh my god Ward hosed Lockjaw?!

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

hope and vaseline posted:

oh my god Ward hosed Lockjaw?!

Lockjaw later gave birth and dropped the baby off with a couple who upon realising a dog gave birth the baby named him Jack Russell.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jan 27, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm glad I can always rely on forum's posters of comedy website SomethingAwful.com to show off some cutting edge, creative and original humor. They really get jokes and know a lot about not running them into the ground. Especially extremely hilarious ones.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
If a joke's good enough to tell once then it's good enough to tell seventy-five times!

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Phylodox posted:

If a joke's good enough to tell once then it's good enough to tell seventy-five times!

Dad who bought you an account?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I regret this derail. Not a lot, but there is a non-zero amount of regret.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Jarvis dropping the stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I have missed Peggy kicking in faces so much.

• Locked thread