Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
I'm cheering for them.

tlarn posted:

I want to believe that's a moth-girl because that's an adorable idea. :3:

Actually there's quite a few bug-themed mutant heroes, huh?
I was thinking she was a ram based on that small picture, but moth works too. Man I love the character designs in this series, some how the author made a splash of 42 faces interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Team is likely: Midorya, Uraraka, Ida, and grape boy, the synergy would be amazing, grape glues everyone elses headbands on, ida is legs for speed and grabbing powers, uraraka uses gravity shenanigans and deku is there to be loving awesome.

Otherwise maybe kachaan and ice/fire guy with deku because yes, you don't want anyone else getting those goddamn points.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I'm still curious about Fumikage (bird boy), so it'd be interesting if they use this as an opportunity to mix things up with the groupings.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder who Spicy Snowcone will team up with.

jwang
Mar 31, 2013
Bakugou's face in the line-up was great. I hope he doesn't keel over from an aneurysm though.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

AtomikKrab posted:

Team is likely: Midorya, Uraraka, Ida, and grape boy, the synergy would be amazing, grape glues everyone elses headbands on, ida is legs for speed and grabbing powers, uraraka uses gravity shenanigans and deku is there to be loving awesome.

You forgot someone.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Say Nothing posted:

You forgot someone.

It can only be 4 sadly.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Ida can go chill with Kancho and Elsa The Human Torch. Oh, and also Generic Fourth Team Member.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

This is basically Quidditch and Izuku is the Snitch.

The Snitch is hella more balanced than this. You only need to score 15 times to make up the difference in Quidditch, but the difference between first and second place here is 9,999,795 points. Icy Hot is worth 205 points, if anyone was curious.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
One goofy thing with ironboy:

鉄哲徹轍
Only the first one is iron, the rest are just whatever sounded the same.

I wonder if he hates his parents for it.

Hallgerd
Dec 10, 2011

Terper posted:

The Snitch is hella more balanced than this. You only need to score 15 times to make up the difference in Quidditch, but the difference between first and second place here is 9,999,795 points. Icy Hot is worth 205 points, if anyone was curious.

It's fine, winning the next round can just be worth 100 million points.

Hallgerd fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Jan 18, 2015

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Hallgerd posted:

It's fine, winning the next round can just be worth 100 million points.

It's basically like every stupid gameshow in existence, where it doesn't matter if you won all 10 rounds before the final one, the final round is suddenly worth more than all ten previous rounds combined, to keep it 'interesting'

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mineta's my nigga. He glued on dat rear end like drat.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Terper posted:

But for a Quidditch metaphor you would also need a win condition other than "catch the Snitch", since there is a possibility for Izuku to make it through the challenge without anyone getting his headband. In fact, it creates an interesting dynamic, because instead of two teams, it is a massive free for all, so not only will every team be trying to get Izuku's headband, they also desperately need to stop the other teams from getting it. Basically I am assuming just a massive free for all centered on Izuku, with teams trying to get in a clear position where they are not setting up another team to capitalize on their attack against Izuku's team.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Since we don't know if the point inflation will continue, it is actually in everyone's best interest that no one gets Midoriya. If the next round goes back to a more conventional point system, everyone is back on more or less equal footing. Yet 10 million points is worthless if the next round is worth 100 million, and anyone who wins that 10 million would then likely become the target in future rounds.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

KittyEmpress posted:

It's basically like every stupid gameshow in existence, where it doesn't matter if you won all 10 rounds before the final one, the final round is suddenly worth more than all ten previous rounds combined, to keep it 'interesting'

I'm sure they'll have a former dating show host come out and wipe away all the points before the final round.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
I've been thinking about it some more, and I've realized something. The points aren't really for determining who wins this - they're for determining who doesn't lose, and that's a big difference. This sports day thing is an elimination competition where you need enough points to advance to the next round.

Maybe your team needs to get 500 points between all of them to get to the next round, or something like that. Any team with less points is eliminated. So the 10 million is just a super exaggerated number to guarantee that the winner of this round will go all the way to the end, and every round will probably do the same by giving super-points to whoever wins that. The final point total probably doesn't mean a drat thing, it's just to ensure you can't be eliminated before you get to whatever the final event is, which is probably the only thing that will matter for "winning" purposes.

That would avoid the gameshow host dilemma nicely, since unlike a gameshow, not everyone here is going to move on, and your stupid huge point pool would just be your ticket through all the competitions, rather than a guaranteed victory.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Uraraka is going straight for Deku's headband.

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Nihilarian posted:

Uraraka is going straight for Deku's headband.

You know Deku could threaten to lose to a specific team to keep people off of him.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Here's a thought - if you take a headband, is it yours permanently, or can someone else take it? Because if it's the second, and Deku loses his band early, we could be looking at utter mayhem.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Mineta's my nigga. He glued on dat rear end like drat.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's how he got his face all beaten up.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yaoyorozu must be fit as heck if she got a decent ranking with another student literally glued to her

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Tollymain posted:

yaoyorozu must be fit as heck if she got a decent ranking with another student literally glued to her

To be fair, he's tiny. :v:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Say Nothing posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing that's how he got his face all beaten up.

Well, yeah, it's probably not a good idea to piss off someone who can literally pull a sword out of her rear end.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Tollymain posted:

Well she was the other scholarship entry.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
Is it even possible for him to win. With the way the points double each rank, his headband is worth twice as much as the next one which is worth twice as much as the 3rd place one, and so on. So he has to get every single other headband to match whoever gets his.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Dr_Amazing posted:

Is it even possible for him to win. With the way the points double each rank, his headband is worth twice as much as the next one which is worth twice as much as the 3rd place one, and so on. So he has to get every single other headband to match whoever gets his.

His is worth more than all the others combined. The doubling of the previous value is only true from nez t to last place through second place.

glomkettle
Sep 24, 2013

I have no idea where y'all are getting the idea that the point values double. They very clearly go 5 points for 42nd, 10 for 41st, 15 for 40th.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

Presumably, your own headband counts towards your score. So on the nigh-impossible off-chance that he keeps it...

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
Just caught up with this series, it had a rocky start but now I'm really into it and can't wait for the next issue. I gotta thank ADTRW for introducing me to this comic. A few thoughts...

All Might - Best part of the entire series and is what kept me reading through the early chapters. Everything he does is awesome.

Deku- Awful character design, mainly due to his expressions. Every panel he is in he looks like he is on the verge of tears (like the kid in Toriko) which isn't endearing in the slightest. He has grown on me a lot though, and I like his transition into being the 'leader despite being the weakest' which you see in a lot of superhero teams.

Grenade Hands - Great in the sense that I want to see him get his rear end beat by Deku, cool costume too. I think they might be building him up to a temporary heel-turn story where he reveals All Mights secret.

Gravity Girl - Absolutely terrible all around, her powers are mildly interesting but she has zero character and doesn't work as Deku's love interest. I hope she pulls a Gwen Stacy and Frog Girl takes her place.

Eraserhead - A bland Kakashi ripoff, his quirk started awesome but they kept weakening it with stipulations to the point where everyone seems to already know how to beat it.

The Son of Ice of Fire - Great powers/backstory but has a boring, uninspired visual design.

The classmates are all awesome, especially Frog Girl and Grape Head. This is definitely a series where the side characters are the star and not the boring Shonen cookie cutter leads.

I think this has a lot of potential, especially for only having run for six months so far and could fill the hole left by Naruto. Which I think this series takes a bit too much from (a lot of the stuff so far has felt like the early Team 7/Chuunin Exam arcs) but at least it copies it well. I'm looking forward to seeing where this is going.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you have some terrible opinions there, other than the ones concerning tsuyu and all might

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Nah he makes some good points. Eraser Head is so completely a Kakashi ripoff at least in design and function if not entirely in personality, and while I like Deku he does have the "about to cry" face going on a lot (I think it's the huge, wobbly eyes). I disagree about Grav Girl but she could definitely use some character. Katsuki is great but he is also good at being the guy you want to see get beaten. Fire and Ice has pretty cool design but the weirdest looking costume, I like him in the gym class outfit a lot better.

KoB
May 1, 2009

DeadBonesBrook posted:

(like the kid in Toriko)

Komatsu is like 30.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I actually dig Nuclear Winter's low-effort outfit. Everyone else's putting their heart and soul into their costumes an he's like, eh, guess I'll dress up a bit.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm not sure "leader despite being the weakest" should be used to describe the Deku. He inherited All Might's power, after all.

I don't really care about who he gets with, but as a character I still have hopes for Grav Girl.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
he's not weak, it's just that his power is roughly as convenient to utilize as a tactical nuke at the moment (and only slightly more repeatable)

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Hey, he got a panel's worth of training montage since we last saw him use his power, maybe he's slightly better at it now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
as for uraraka she's actually got a good bit of character development at this point? i think she's pretty cool

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The only character introduced so far that I don't like is Minoru, the grape kid. So far he's A) Cowardly without the redeeming heroic impulses Izuku has, B) A weird gross kid who's way too grabby, and C) Kind of got a useless quirk unless paired with someone else or used in a clever/creative fashion, the latter of which he hasn't shown to be super capable of thus far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how he got in, anyway