Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

In addition to becoming the richest major economy in the world, we're also going to be the "jobs factory of Europe" and will achieve "full employment" by reducing the benefit cap and restricting migrants' access to welfare. So sayeth Dave, so shall it be done, inshallah.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/david-cameron/11353784/David-Cameron-says-Britain-is-the-jobs-factory-of-Europe.html

CUT WELFARE + poo poo ON MIGRANTS = JOBS + MONEY

how is it that it took us so long to discover this magical formula?
How is employment defined in this context? Is it % of working-age population?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005
The timing on this is perfect -

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

quote:

Revealed: thousands of Britons on benefits across EU
• At least 30,000 Britons on unemployment benefit in EU, Guardian research shows
• Unemployed Britons in richer EU states outnumber jobless from those countries in UK

Yes 65,000 total foreigners taking our benefits; basically a drop in the Ocean, but makes a nice easy target they can rile people against legally as they aren't a minority/race.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

ukle posted:

Serious question.

Can anyone remember any promises the Tories have ever kept once they are in power?
Boosting academies and "free" schools, cutting welfare, elected police commissioners, freezing public sector pay, cutting corporation tax, cutting the top rate of income tax, off the top of my head. I think they were all pre-election promises.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
If you're not in full-time employment you're basically human trash.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Zephro posted:

Boosting academies and "free" schools, cutting welfare, elected police commissioners, freezing public sector pay, cutting corporation tax, cutting the top rate of income tax, off the top of my head. I think they were all pre-election promises.

I think some of these ideas are so bad that in retrospect people have to think they lied about them - who would vote for someone who advertised these policies up front?!

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Phoon posted:

How will restricting migrant benefits create jobs how

I don't think the Tories have thought this through at all.

Benefits turns people into workshy skivers. It would probably be in the best interest of the UK to put all its immigrants on benefits, so they are completely unmotivated to find gainful employment and thus open up the job market for all the plucky Brits who want to get on and achieve.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Wasn't the voter turn out for police commissioners absolutely awful?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Jose posted:

Wasn't the voter turn out for police commissioners absolutely awful?
Yup. 15.1% on average . The West Midlands almost managed single digits; it got 10.3%.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

ukle posted:

The timing on this is perfect -

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/jan/19/-sp-thousands-britons-claim-benefits-eu

Yes 65,000 total foreigners taking our benefits; basically a drop in the Ocean, but makes a nice easy target they can rile people against legally as they aren't a minority/race.

Poland and Lithuania are not looking terribly hot on that chart, though.

That kinda bums me out too, since my parents came over from Lithuania back in 2005 and they've never been on the dole. They're really hardworking folk and bootstrapped into mid-to-senior managerial positions. Seeing people abuse the system like that kinda makes me ashamed of my ethnicity.

Come on Lithuania, get your poo poo together :smith:

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

edit: phoneposting double combo y'all

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
The police commissioners thing is just so catastrophically moronic that I don't see how it ever hap- oh yeah tories.

I mean, you either admit you're farming policing out to vested political interests, or you deny that there's anything political about it and then explain why the candidates were standing for parties. I just... don't...

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Zephro posted:

Yup. 15.1% on average . The West Midlands almost managed single digits; it got 10.3%.

:britain:

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

awesome-express posted:

That kinda bums me out too, since my parents came over from Lithuania back in 2005 and they've never been on the dole. They're really hardworking folk and bootstrapped into mid-to-senior managerial positions. Seeing people abuse the system like that kinda makes me ashamed of my ethnicity.

Making use of a service provided by the government of the country you live in is not "abusing the system".

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Poland and Lithuania are not looking terribly hot on that chart, though.

Come on Lithuania, get your poo poo together :smith:

listen mate why don't you gently caress off back to the jungle* and take your gypsy clan with you

*where do gypsies actually come from?

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Also do we really want to count brits in ireland as "foreign"? Cause you, know... what with ireland being a..... i don't want to put it..... not to cause offence or anything, but... that is to say..... shared history... culture..... :yikes:

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

How does 85 unemployed Brits stack up as a percentage of the total population of Luxembourg? I imagine we're stretching their public services to breaking point, etc. LUXEMBOURG IS FULL!

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

That's a lot of Lithuanians and Slovaks given their population.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Zephro posted:

If you can't get even a third of people to vote on something maybe it shouldn't have gone ahead

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

quote:

A new poll published yesterday found that two-thirds of Ukip supporters think their party will be in government after the general election.
A quarter, or 24 per cent, think that Mr Farage will become prime minister in May, while 67 per cent believe that the party will be in government, according to the ICM poll published in a report from independent think-tank British Future.

UKIP, representing the country's best and brightest.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The question you then have to ask is who is making up that 10%. Cranks, or concerned citizens? I'm going with cranks.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
the sort of people who write angry letters to the newspapers and call the filth when those little shits from round the way knock over their bins.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Oberleutnant posted:

listen mate why don't you gently caress off back to the jungle* and take your gypsy clan with you

Not that this is a hug box thread or anything, but comments like that, even in jest, are kinda lovely to read.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

awesome-express posted:

Not that this is a hug box thread or anything, but comments like that, even in jest, are kinda lovely to read.

You have my sincere and unironic apology. It wasn't meant at all seriously in any way.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Disinterested posted:

I think some of these ideas are so bad that in retrospect people have to think they lied about them - who would vote for someone who advertised these policies up front?!

There's a general perception that public sector workers get better pay with better job security and better benefits than private sector workers. None of this is true (except maybe some of the benefits, like 8 weeks paid leave a year after five years service). It hasn't been a job for life for a long time now, for which you can thank Thatcher.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Jedit posted:

There's a general perception that public sector workers get better pay with better job security and better benefits than private sector workers. None of this is true (except maybe some of the benefits, like 8 weeks paid leave a year after five years service). It hasn't been a job for life for a long time now, for which you can thank Thatcher.

Those bankers have million pound bonuses, but phwoar at that index linked pension!

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

LemonDrizzle posted:

UKIP, representing the country's best and brightest.

I overheard one of those in the pub the other day, earnestly arguing that greens shouldn't be in debate because they're not running for PM like Farage is, while his mate desperately attempted and failed to explain how literally anything at all worked.

Also according to Nick Robinson the debates actually make a majority of the 10m+ who watch them decide who to vote for. In other words, maybe 10% of the electorate?

We're all hosed, start bombing London.

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

The debates basically are responsible for the Lib Dems doing so well last time, given Clegg was the only one who turned up. They can make a major difference.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

I'm looking forward to the debates as an excuse to drink a bottle of wine and yell at my TV.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I've been wanting to get a job with the local council in something for a while, but their vacancies are loving frustrating in that 99% of all advertised jobs are 'only available to current employees or contractors of Cardiff County Council"

Surely that's against some sort of labour law?

e: At this point I'd go for a road sweeper job to get my foot in the door but even those are only available to current employees.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oberleutnant posted:

The police commissioners thing is just so catastrophically moronic that I don't see how it ever hap- oh yeah tories.

I mean, you either admit you're farming policing out to vested political interests, or you deny that there's anything political about it and then explain why the candidates were standing for parties. I just... don't...
I voted for the one independent on basic principle. Also because he legitimately seemed like the best of the three, even though they all had some lovely talking points.

The Tory won though, because it's a single position across the whole city and county.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Saki posted:

I'm looking forward to the debates as an excuse to drink a bottle of wine and yell at my TV.

I'm looking forward to entirely ignoring the debates

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Ddraig posted:

I've been wanting to get a job with the local council in something for a while, but their vacancies are loving frustrating in that 99% of all advertised jobs are 'only available to current employees or contractors of Cardiff County Council"

e: At this point I'd go for a road sweeper job to get my foot in the door but even those are only available to current employees.

If they're handing out redundancies I'm pretty sure they have to attempt to place affected employees wherever they can. I remember a lot of internal-only vacancies opening up at Barnet while they were axing the adult social care and parking teams.

mfcrocker posted:

I'm looking forward to entirely ignoring the debates

same, I am actively looking forward to the debates passing by while I do literally anything other than watch them.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 19, 2015

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There should be a UKMT drinking game for the debates. The rule is you take a swig of whatever you're drinking every time a participant says something reprehensible or demonstrably false.

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Oberleutnant posted:

Ignoring your Racist stic this is actually touching on a serious point that a lot of people aren't aware of.

Due to Romania joining the EU a lot of Roma gypsies have fled to the UK to avoid persecution - they suffer segregation, still cases of forced sterisation, their births aren't registered (BIG issue for UK social services) and aren't permitted to have identify papers - this is all in one of the other EU states. Note that Romania isn't alone in this, many countries in mainland Europe have rules against Roma's. So unsurprisingly many Roma's have been fleeing to countries that wont persecute them, i.e. Britain and France (although the tone in France is starting to become very hostile to them). We have a rapidly growing Roma population, of unknown figures given they have no ID cards they have to get into the country via dubious means, yet they generally aren't here claiming benefits as despite all the poo poo they have had to deal with they are often very proud and wont claim anything from the state, and will do the jobs that nobody else will do / cash in hand jobs as they have no ID so cant open bank accounts etc.

Its all a mess and the UK is having to deal with the effects of the blatant racism that is still occurring in the EU today. So please don't further feed that Racism.

ukle fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jan 19, 2015

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Gilganixon posted:

same, I am actively looking forward to the debates passing by while I do literally anything other than watch them.

I'll probably play WoW or something.

Oberleutnant posted:

There should be a UKMT drinking game for the debates. The rule is you take a swig of whatever you're drinking every time a participant says something reprehensible or demonstrably false.

UKMT drinking game for the debates:

You are not actively drinking your drink: drink

There you go

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

Those Romania points are interesting. I do kind of think that EU enlargement has become a bit of a self-licking ice cream and that we've ended up admitting a bunch of places with pretty dodgy politics, finances or cultural practises into the Union that maybe we shouldn't have.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ddraig posted:

The council is trying to reduce headcount through attrition, but individual departments are understaffed so they're trying to fix their manpower problems by internal poaching. Does wonders for cohesion and team spirit, I'm told.

You could try for this one: https://jobs.cardiff.gov.uk/jobdetails.aspx/5432/Admin_Assistant/?sSectorLook=80

Part time admin assistant in Llanrumney & St. Mellons, knowledge of Welsh/Somali/Polish/Arabic advantageous.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Disinterested posted:

The debates basically are responsible for the Lib Dems doing so well last time, given Clegg was the only one who turned up. They can make a major difference.

My memory of 2010 is that there was a lot of fuss over how well Clegg had done in the debates, lots of polls and talk about a big swing towards the Lib Dems, then in the end their vote share was almost exactly in line with how they were polling before any of the debates.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Zephro posted:

Those Romania points are interesting. I do kind of think that EU enlargement has become a bit of a self-licking ice cream and that we've ended up admitting a bunch of places with pretty dodgy politics, finances or cultural practises into the Union that maybe we shouldn't have.

But we need those places to:

A). Stick it to the Russians
B). Increase our internal market
C). Keep the value of the Euro low
D). Spread democratic liberalism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Disinterested posted:

The average middle class British person? Have you actually spoken to your fellow man? They're right loving wankers.

We're a very negative country. This is twisted into a sense of "justice" seeking. With the poor seeming to bare the brunt of the justice and the rich carrying on tax dodging. You'll notice the pattern with this is at first a claim that the government is trying to stop the tax dodging. When they can't maintain this theory anymore they will do a sudden switch to claiming that these companies are very important and their tax dodging allows them to create jobs. Hint: the second ideology was always the primary. The rich are as mealy mouthed as they are privileged.

The overall zeitgeist of the UK, at least England, is that if you hand out enough punishment then everything will work itself out somehow. Just keep playing whack a mole with the scummy poor who are some kind of hive mind of villainy constantly working out new ways to steal taxpayer money to fund an army like what was done in that batman film. The really bad one. Makes you think.

• Locked thread