Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The hypothetical fusions/absorptions things Budokai 2 did was like its sole redeeming factor as far as I remember. Recent games have gone crazy with everybody getting SSJ3 and 4 forms or whatever but I always wished they done more with something like Tiencha or Super Buu absorbing people other than Gotenks, Piccolo, and Gohan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Covok posted:

It looks like this has been the subject of debate before. Here is one nerd's conclusions on the subject.

quote:

April 7th: 3 chapters (421-423)—Gohan enters high school, Great Saiyaman is born
April 8th: 3 chapters (424-426)—Videl unmasks Great Saiyaman

Ahahahahaha.

Also, Legendary Super Warriors. Is there anything else (or more recent) with those specific mechanics?

Brony Hunter
Dec 27, 2012

Motherfucking Mannis

They'll bend the knee or I'll destroy them

Szmitten posted:

Ahahahahaha.

Also, Legendary Super Warriors. Is there anything else (or more recent) with those specific mechanics?

Haha, so Gohan was only the Great Saiyaman for a single day before getting caught out? drat. The anime always made things seem so long and drawn out, I never really considered the passage of time in the series.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Brony Hunter posted:

Haha, so Gohan was only the Great Saiyaman for a single day before getting caught out? drat. The anime always made things seem so long and drawn out, I never really considered the passage of time in the series.

That article is based on the manga, in the TV show he certainly was the Great Saiyaman for a longer time, since I remember several filler episodes during that part.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

IIRC Budokai 2 had that dumb mission where as Vegeta you had to survive against Kid Buu for 60 seconds. Well I actually KILLED Kid Buu before that 60 seconds was up...and the game said I failed the mission for that. :psyduck:

It seems to reason that Vegeta would still be alive for the rest of that minute after killing Kid Buu, but apparently not.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Raxivace posted:

IIRC Budokai 2 had that dumb mission where as Vegeta you had to survive against Kid Buu for 60 seconds. Well I actually KILLED Kid Buu before that 60 seconds was up...and the game said I failed the mission for that. :psyduck:

It seems to reason that Vegeta would still be alive for the rest of that minute after killing Kid Buu, but apparently not.

You may have won the fight, but you inadvertently tanked the ratings by stealing gokus kill. The show ends before the epilogue can run.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the most important thing about Budokai 2 Story mode is that they didn't bother putting Namek in the game so Frezia and Captain Ginyu just show up on Earth.

I actually kind of liked the dumb board game, kind of. It was somewhat amusing.

I think Budokai 3's Story mode was probably the best though, since you had that massive map you just flew all over and it rewarded exploration with capsules and what-ifs

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Stallion Cabana posted:

the most important thing about Budokai 2 Story mode is that they didn't bother putting Namek in the game so Frezia and Captain Ginyu just show up on Earth.

I actually kind of liked the dumb board game, kind of. It was somewhat amusing.

I think Budokai 3's Story mode was probably the best though, since you had that massive map you just flew all over and it rewarded exploration with capsules and what-ifs

Is that the one where you just put your character at a 5 degree angle off of north and circle the planet at mach 5 until you see something sparkle on the ground?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Stallion Cabana posted:

Recoome was also there.

Other stuff I remember from Budokai 2:

Dr Gero shows up without Android #19; instead he had red and blue Saibamen ("Saiba Rangers").

When you reach the penultimate level (it's a board starting with Goku, Gohan, whatever other character you're using to fill out your team, and Super Buu, with Vegeta showing up a couple of turns in), it's really hard not to get split up and cornered before you can reach Vegeta with the potara earrings unless you know to search a certain spot on the map to find the senzu bean, which gave the character who found it two moves in each turn.

And I have an odd notion that I got all the way to Buu without unlocking any of the SSJ transformations, but that doesn't seem right. It has been many years since I played it.

I got Budoaki 3 because it had (some of) the movie characters; I think it's the one that had the "what if" scenarios when you replayed the story mode. The two I remember most vividly were a) Cooler showing up on Namek after you defeat Freeza; and b) arriving for the final showdown with Freeza, only to meet Vegeta, who became a Super Saiyan and defeated him off-screen.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

You may have won the fight, but you inadvertently tanked the ratings by stealing gokus kill. The show ends before the epilogue can run.

If the game had told me exactly this, I would have been okay with it.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I loved Budokai 2 and played the hell out of it while I was sick for a week my first year of college. :saddowns:

Despite that, I actually literally forgot that Majin Cell and Majin Freeza were in it until just now. That part of the game was thoroughly scrubbed out of my head by the fact that I broke Kid Buu with Goten.

See, Goku gets to pick some number of allies from the characters you've unlocked, (which can lead to hilarious continuity breaks) and those characters can give each other bonuses if they meet on the game board (some of them). Goten meeting Goku gives him +30% Def and meeting Kid Trunks gives him +30% Atk. Additionally, Cell and Freeza are on that stage again and beating them gives +30% Atk/Def respectively. So, if you set things up right, Goten can fight Kid Buu with +60% Atk and Def and just ROLL him.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Budokai 2 was one of the last DBZ games I played and I remember the board game. I found it to be alright for one play through, but the horribly frustrating thing was having to play it over and over again in order to completely unlock everything. I had to have played that board game to its completion at least 20 times. It became kind of a joke between me and my brothers

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Which was the one where the tournament mode had a "Yamcha Tournmanet" option, which was basically the same as the regular World Tournament, except you fight Yamcha at the end?

Hercule is on the select screen and explains that it's a tournament set up by "that wimpy guy Yamcha", which is prety amazing.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd like to think that Hercule could legitimately beat Yamcha in a fight.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

New Leaf posted:

Is that the one where you just put your character at a 5 degree angle off of north and circle the planet at mach 5 until you see something sparkle on the ground?

Yes.

You could go to Kame House as Vegeta the first time he arrives to Earth to meet Bulma ahead of time and he thinks something like "what is this that I'm feeling in my heart?". Hilarious.

Metal Loaf posted:

Which was the one where the tournament mode had a "Yamcha Tournmanet" option, which was basically the same as the regular World Tournament, except you fight Yamcha at the end?

Budokai Tenkaichi 3.

Yamcha Tournament's gimmick was that your fighter and capsules were randomly chosen.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The best thing to come out of Budokai 2's what-if fusions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOXCAcduo3A

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

facebook jihad posted:

Budokai 2 was one of the last DBZ games I played and I remember the board game. I found it to be alright for one play through, but the horribly frustrating thing was having to play it over and over again in order to completely unlock everything. I had to have played that board game to its completion at least 20 times. It became kind of a joke between me and my brothers

I remember there being a glitch in the PS2 version of Budokai 2 (Might have been fixed in greatest hits releases) where if you went into the shop menu while holding down the triggers you'd randomly unlock something. I spent about an hour and a half doing that (twice since I forgot to trigger autosave after the first time :suicide:) and got everything to play around with for no real effort.

Budokai 3 was the superior game, but it sucked having to unlock everything manually after having access to everything from the start in the last game.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Zonekeeper posted:

Budokai 3 was the superior game, but it sucked having to unlock everything manually after having access to everything from the start in the last game.

Perhaps, but I definitely liked having special moves in combos rather than locked into the end of Budokai 3's Rock Paper Scissors.

Also, Hyper Mode or whatever it's called is total bullshit.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
That mode is so easy to find a way around that you need to combo into it to actually get proper use out of it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
By the way, if anyone else likes staring at clocks.. :smith:

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20150227T00&p0=207&msg=DBX

It's amazing how much free time I have right now compared to what I assume I'll have when the game actually comes out.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Wasn't Budokai 2 the one with Kuriza?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AmiYumi posted:

Wasn't Budokai 2 the one with Kuriza?
Only as an alt. costume for Frieza.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

That would imply people didn't always like vegeta more.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Some Numbers posted:

I loved Budokai 2 and played the hell out of it while I was sick for a week my first year of college. :saddowns:

Despite that, I actually literally forgot that Majin Cell and Majin Freeza were in it until just now. That part of the game was thoroughly scrubbed out of my head by the fact that I broke Kid Buu with Goten.

See, Goku gets to pick some number of allies from the characters you've unlocked, (which can lead to hilarious continuity breaks) and those characters can give each other bonuses if they meet on the game board (some of them). Goten meeting Goku gives him +30% Def and meeting Kid Trunks gives him +30% Atk. Additionally, Cell and Freeza are on that stage again and beating them gives +30% Atk/Def respectively. So, if you set things up right, Goten can fight Kid Buu with +60% Atk and Def and just ROLL him.

Can't Goten and Trunks also fuse on the board if you have them both?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

That would imply people didn't always like vegeta more.

Japan raged over Gohan doing something. They love that Goku.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Rudoku posted:

I always heard this was the reason that the manga continued past Cell, and why Kid Buu existed at all, that Japan wanted the manga to be about Goku as the hero and not Gohan.

Is that like, actually true or is it a playground story?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Proof that Japan is the worst.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Rudoku posted:

Stallion Cabana posted:

I always heard this was the reason that the manga continued past Cell, and why Kid Buu existed at all, that Japan wanted the manga to be about Goku as the hero and not Gohan.

http://www.kanzenshuu.com/intended-end/majin-buu/

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Stallion Cabana posted:

Can't Goten and Trunks also fuse on the board if you have them both?

Pretty sure not, except for plot related reasons.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

This is a fascinating article I've never read before.

Thank you.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I wanna say that's the seventh time it's been linked in this thread.

Make a wish, guys.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

Only as an alt. costume for Frieza.

I'm pretty sure his Death Ball was in the shape of an almond as well.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
Speaking of the games, was tehre ever another adventure side scroller like Dragonball Adventures on the GBA? I just heard about that game semi-recently and played through it in like 2 sittings. Getting to play as Krillin afterwards was amazing.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Speaking of the games, was tehre ever another adventure side scroller like Dragonball Adventures on the GBA? I just heard about that game semi-recently and played through it in like 2 sittings. Getting to play as Krillin afterwards was amazing.

There was a GT based one that I remember. I think it was okay? I forget exactly how it worked but I don't think it ever got to SS4 Goku.

I think you could play Uub, oddly.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
The Xenoverse forums on Gamefaqs are an unending source of hilarity for me. The big thing there now is that stronger characters in the show should just be better. If you play as Krillin, there's no way you should be able to scratch Cell.

I seem to remember one of the first PSX games I think, everyone had multiple life meters of different colors and stuff, and I seem to remember some characters like Yamcha and Tien actually having less life bars.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Call me Super Kami Guruuuuu

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Stallion Cabana posted:

Toriyama didn't think Gohan could be a hero.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I did

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Firstborn posted:

The Xenoverse forums on Gamefaqs are an unending source of hilarity for me. The big thing there now is that stronger characters in the show should just be better. If you play as Krillin, there's no way you should be able to scratch Cell.

I seem to remember one of the first PSX games I think, everyone had multiple life meters of different colors and stuff, and I seem to remember some characters like Yamcha and Tien actually having less life bars.
That's how it works in the Budokai Tenkaichi games, too. Saibamen have like three health bars and do about 2-3k damage a combo, SSJ4 Gogeta has like 7 health bars and does 6-8k a combo. Some of the characters (Yajirobe, Master Roshi, General Tao) can't even fly for extended periods of time - if they stay in the air too long, they just flop to the ground.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Lower powered characters also couldn't stun higher powered characters with regular hits which was really funny.

• Locked thread