Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I like how XboxPants's posts look at a glance exactly like any other case of foolishly sticking up for something that sucks except that when you read it, at the core of everything, he still says Starbound sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Patware posted:

I like how XboxPants's posts look at a glance exactly like any other case of foolishly sticking up for something that sucks except that when you read it, at the core of everything, he still says Starbound sucks.

Well sure, I'm not that crazy, it just matters to me very deeply in which specific ways people criticize this bad game, because

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi guys,

Happy 2015! We’re back in the office now and we’re hard at work on moving the unstable update to stable and fixing a few issues.

In the mean time I wanted to address some of the current problems we’re aware of and explain how we’re going to deal with those problems for 1.0

Guns do too little damage

Currently guns do too little damage, particularly guns with a high rate of fire. This is a known problem and it’s largely down to the way protection works currently. Guns that shoot a small amount of damage rapidly for an overall high DPS are unfairly mitigated due to how protection functions. We’re looking at fixing the way protection handles small damage values for the stable release.

Mining is a little dull

Mining at the moment is a little uneventful and a bit of a grind. We plan to remedy this by vastly increasing the number of underground encounters, dungeons and microdungeons you’ll encounter whilst mining. Many of these dungeons will contain some of the loot you’re looking for whilst mining and save you from simply tinking away at blocks for hours on end. We’re also going to increase the range of monsters underground to mix up the experience and look into benefits for sustaining existing mines.

There’s no reason to build on a planet

Currently there’s very little reason to settle on a planet, given the utility of the ship and the amount of space it has available to it on upgrading. We plan to remedy this in a number of different ways. Firstly, we’re going to add a planet bookmark/teleportation system. This will allow you to get directly from your ship to a base you’ve set up on a planet instantly and without travelling to that planet first. Next there will be utilities and crafting resources that won’t function on your ship and will require an on planet base. Finally there will be alternative progression paths that directly require buildings of various kinds. The nomadic nature of settling in your ship is directly in support of the combat/adventure progression path.

Monster path finding is bad

We’ve made so many changes to monsters and their abilities that their path finding has suffered a lot. We’re going to be working on it and retooling it for the next stable release. Hopefully by then the monsters should be substantially smarter.

Hunger and/or temperature is gone

We made the decision to remove hunger and temperature as stats because we weren’t happy with their current implementation. They’ll be back in some form for harder difficulty levels

There’s only one path through the game

Right now adventuring and combat is more or less a requirement if you want to progress. We intend to change that with farming and building progression paths. We’d like you to be able to progress through the game with barely any combat or questing required. These paths will likely be distinct from one another so you’re able to progress through all of them individually over time.

Quests are too fetchy/there aren’t enough quests

The current quests are fetchy because we needed to create a quest line with the engine features we currently have available to us. We’re going to be expanding quests in a big way and many of the quests currently available are placeholder. With more quest triggers we can massively expand the kind of quests available to us and we’re going to be adding some form of procedurally generated quests too.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

mutata posted:

lookit this poo poo, they done posted on their blog, hur hur.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hi, turtle here writing on the forums for the first time in quite some time because, like many people, I like expressing myself from time to time.

I'm well aware of the kind of complaints Starbound's development process keeps getting regularly and even in the first page of the discussion section I've seen at least 3 threads of different backers "complaining" or criticizing the development of the game. Nothing new here though, I've been following Starbound since the first few days this website appeared and for at least the last two years Chucklefish had to deal with a never ending stream of complaints of different kinds. The objective of this thread is to state your own personal disappointment in Starbound, specifically its development process, so that Chucklefish could take note of all our different disappointments. I invite everybody to speak frankly about their disappoinments on the development progress with full respect for Chucklefish and their team in the hope that all the comments this thread could eventuelly handle would allow Chucklefish to learn what has hurt the Starbound community spirit the most because, at this point, I believe it is a fact that the community spirit around the game, while still quite present, isn't what it used to be. Complaints keep popping around all the time, even me I keep seeing them even though I don't lurk around here as much as I used too a couple of years ago. So please everyone, use this thread as a constructive mean or as a respectul emotional tool to express yourself. I don't claim this thread to be original or anything, but it's still the one I created. May it reach someone positively out there. Then again, I guess it's nothing far from the usual "I keep complaining so listen to me" thread. But I do hope this one here could be a little more constructive for everyone.

At any rate, my turn first.

My biggest disappointment with Starbound is, nothing new here, its ridiculous development time. I believe Chucklefish aimed far too high with this game and made the project public way too soon. The result is now getting more and more disastrous on people like me who've been around for years, never getting the game the wanted at first. I personally never wanted a crop system, a quest system, a creature generator system, a food system or many other things the team keeps adding to the game. Those were never meant to be in the project that was first presented to us 3 years ago (if not more). I'm aware that the team always aimed at adding everything they liked from different video games to Starbound in order to make their "dream game", it was always what Starbound was about, but the development process of a game shouldn't be like that. Real objectives are necessary in order to keep a somewhat reliable finish date and keeping wanting to add more just makes the project feel always less and less finished. I believe that's what disappointed me the most with Chucklefish.

The lack of clear line, the desire to always keep pushing new things and systems in the game. In its own way, it IS a good thing. But I feel like Chucklefish pushed that way too far. I've kept reading development posts about functions that I never wanted in the game (and that were never talked about either). Like musical instruments, agriculture, cooking, quests, tiered planets, character progression, monster part randomizer... I'm well aware that many of these systems are well liked by many players, that is not the point of my disappointment. My disappointment comes from the fact that more and more keeps getting added while nothing was ever finished in the first place, making everyhting feel like a giant mess of a game with far too much stuff compressed into Starbound. A "dream game" shouldn't be about adding every kind of game and mashing it together. For that reason, I've kinda lost hope in Tiy and Chucklefish. Even recently Tiy has tweeted: "Soooo much new stuff in Starbound, I should do a video to explain some of it." But Tiy, I love you guy, you have an awesome personality and all, but I do believe you've strayed somewhere. A game should have clear boundaries. Starbound had some at first, but now it clearly hasn't. Then again, maybe it was what you always aimed at with Starbound, to be bounded by nothing but the stars, to keep working on a project that keeps getting wider and wider, never reaching the impossible goal right there in the sky.

But that wasn't why I came here at first. I wanted a full, complete experience. Not a feeling that nothing will never be finished, always improving. I don't believe that's what a video game should be either. Your team is awesome and I love pretty much every single game Chucklefish has helped this far, I always have full confidence in the skills of your team, but for this very reason I'm not much interested into Starbound at all anymore. I'm way more interested into seeing what you guys will do with the pirate game you've been teasing. I want to see a Chucklefish game complete, not a neverending game software that keeps trying to mash more stuff into itself all the time. Please Chucklefish, I really want you to make a full game that is not drowning in a pool of functions most of us will never even want to touch.

I love you guys and I'm sorry if I hurt anyone, but I really had to express myself after all these years after all the hope I've had in this project.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Turtlicious posted:

Hi, turtle here writing on the forums for the first time in quite some time because, like many people, I like expressing myself from time to time.

I'm well aware of the kind of complaints Starbound's development process keeps getting regularly and even in the first page of the discussion section I've seen at least 3 threads of different backers "complaining" or criticizing the development of the game. Nothing new here though, I've been following Starbound since the first few days this website appeared and for at least the last two years Chucklefish had to deal with a never ending stream of complaints of different kinds. The objective of this thread is to state your own personal disappointment in Starbound, specifically its development process, so that Chucklefish could take note of all our different disappointments. I invite everybody to speak frankly about their disappoinments on the development progress with full respect for Chucklefish and their team in the hope that all the comments this thread could eventuelly handle would allow Chucklefish to learn what has hurt the Starbound community spirit the most because, at this point, I believe it is a fact that the community spirit around the game, while still quite present, isn't what it used to be. Complaints keep popping around all the time, even me I keep seeing them even though I don't lurk around here as much as I used too a couple of years ago. So please everyone, use this thread as a constructive mean or as a respectul emotional tool to express yourself. I don't claim this thread to be original or anything, but it's still the one I created. May it reach someone positively out there. Then again, I guess it's nothing far from the usual "I keep complaining so listen to me" thread. But I do hope this one here could be a little more constructive for everyone.

At any rate, my turn first.

My biggest disappointment with Starbound is, nothing new here, its ridiculous development time. I believe Chucklefish aimed far too high with this game and made the project public way too soon. The result is now getting more and more disastrous on people like me who've been around for years, never getting the game the wanted at first. I personally never wanted a crop system, a quest system, a creature generator system, a food system or many other things the team keeps adding to the game. Those were never meant to be in the project that was first presented to us 3 years ago (if not more). I'm aware that the team always aimed at adding everything they liked from different video games to Starbound in order to make their "dream game", it was always what Starbound was about, but the development process of a game shouldn't be like that. Real objectives are necessary in order to keep a somewhat reliable finish date and keeping wanting to add more just makes the project feel always less and less finished. I believe that's what disappointed me the most with Chucklefish.

The lack of clear line, the desire to always keep pushing new things and systems in the game. In its own way, it IS a good thing. But I feel like Chucklefish pushed that way too far. I've kept reading development posts about functions that I never wanted in the game (and that were never talked about either). Like musical instruments, agriculture, cooking, quests, tiered planets, character progression, monster part randomizer... I'm well aware that many of these systems are well liked by many players, that is not the point of my disappointment. My disappointment comes from the fact that more and more keeps getting added while nothing was ever finished in the first place, making everyhting feel like a giant mess of a game with far too much stuff compressed into Starbound. A "dream game" shouldn't be about adding every kind of game and mashing it together. For that reason, I've kinda lost hope in Tiy and Chucklefish. Even recently Tiy has tweeted: "Soooo much new stuff in Starbound, I should do a video to explain some of it." But Tiy, I love you guy, you have an awesome personality and all, but I do believe you've strayed somewhere. A game should have clear boundaries. Starbound had some at first, but now it clearly hasn't. Then again, maybe it was what you always aimed at with Starbound, to be bounded by nothing but the stars, to keep working on a project that keeps getting wider and wider, never reaching the impossible goal right there in the sky.

But that wasn't why I came here at first. I wanted a full, complete experience. Not a feeling that nothing will never be finished, always improving. I don't believe that's what a video game should be either. Your team is awesome and I love pretty much every single game Chucklefish has helped this far, I always have full confidence in the skills of your team, but for this very reason I'm not much interested into Starbound at all anymore. I'm way more interested into seeing what you guys will do with the pirate game you've been teasing. I want to see a Chucklefish game complete, not a neverending game software that keeps trying to mash more stuff into itself all the time. Please Chucklefish, I really want you to make a full game that is not drowning in a pool of functions most of us will never even want to touch.

I love you guys and I'm sorry if I hurt anyone, but I really had to express myself after all these years after all the hope I've had in this project.

The systems in place in stable were always placeholders, that were always going to be replaced with more robust and more in-depth systems when they had the time to work on them. Everything is connected to everything else, and so this process is time consuming.

A lot of people have discovered that Early Access is not a thing for them, and that's fine. You are watching a game being made in real time, and the reality of the situation is this:

Games take a long time to make, and the development process behind the scenes is always messy. You're watching the sausage get made, and it's okay to not like what you see. There is a plan, and we know what they're working towards! The fact that you feel disappointed about this is not something they can do much about. They have to focus on making the game the best it can be, and a game that everyone wants to play - not a game catered to one person's tastes.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Turtlicious posted:

Mining is a little dull

Mining at the moment is a little uneventful and a bit of a grind. We plan to remedy this by vastly increasing the number of underground encounters, dungeons and microdungeons you’ll encounter whilst mining. Many of these dungeons will contain some of the loot you’re looking for whilst mining and save you from simply tinking away at blocks for hours on end. We’re also going to increase the range of monsters underground to mix up the experience and look into benefits for sustaining existing mines.
Make mining faster holy poo poo

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

IronicDongz posted:

Make mining faster holy poo poo

That doesn't make the boring mechanic more fun, it just lets you do the boring mechanic less. Which isn't really a solution at all. If you have a bad mechanic, you either need to remove it or improve it.

I mean yeah they should make mining faster as well but that doesn't address the issue they're talking about there.

XboxPants fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 18, 2015

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Turtlicious posted:

Currently there’s very little reason to settle on a planet, given the utility of the ship and the amount of space it has available to it on upgrading. We plan to remedy this in a number of different ways. Firstly, we’re going to add a planet bookmark/teleportation system. This will allow you to get directly from your ship to a base you’ve set up on a planet instantly and without travelling to that planet first. Next there will be utilities and crafting resources that won’t function on your ship and will require an on planet base. Finally there will be alternative progression paths that directly require buildings of various kinds. The nomadic nature of settling in your ship is directly in support of the combat/adventure progression path.

Teleport bookmarks are good, breaking poo poo so it doesn't work in your ship anymore is bad.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Anyone who complains "I hit things too hard!!!" or "I mine too fast!" is a real piece of work

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'm an expert coder. starbound team should hire me. i'll loving make their god drat game tonight, !!!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i'm an expert coder. starbound team should hire me. i'll loving make their god drat game tonight, !!!

And then he was called "The Penecoder".

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

XboxPants posted:

That doesn't make the boring mechanic more fun, it just lets you do the boring mechanic less. Which isn't really a solution at all.

At this point in your post I thought you were agreeing with him, in that "when you very slowly mine into an underground dungeon, you'll find things like mineral nodes that give you lots of ore at once". You have to mine less, so what's the problem?

Anyway I know I had the most fun I've had in the game when I modded the manipulator to 10x10 and vaporized blocks. Fast mining is fun.
Yes, I know that was overmodded and not something I'm really advocating, but slow mining sucks holy cow just make it go faster is that so hard???

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
Carving out gigantic chunks of earth with a mining laser is actually pretty badass, so I disagree that sufficiently fast mining can't be fun. Not as fun as other poo poo but pretty amusing still.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

AHungryRobot posted:

Carving out gigantic chunks of earth with a mining laser is actually pretty badass, so I disagree that sufficiently fast mining can't be fun. Not as fun as other poo poo but pretty amusing still.

Eh, maybe you're right. I'm prepared to give on this one. I was thinking something along the lines of "sure fast mining is fun at first but it'll get boring eventually too", but upon reflection I can see how carving up terrain might just be an inherently enjoyable mechanic.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
lol chucklefucks can't ever get anything right

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Idiots posted:

Hey there's no reason to build on a planet, so lets change it so now there's no need to build on your ship....

loving idiots who have no idea how a game becomes a good game.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

AHungryRobot posted:

It is when you want to tear poo poo up, but if you want to get some ore and the best way to do that is to dig straight down, it is still going to be dull as balls. Now they're right that the best way to make mining less of a chore would be to make caves bigger and more plenty, with cool stuff like loot and dungeons underground so you would only need to dig every so often, but their cave gen has been poo poo since the first public build.

I still can't believe that the game has ended up worse since it went public. If you are a videogame designer and actually go "gosh, people are going through our content(read:bullshit timesink gear treadmill in a singleplayer game) too fast" you should kill you're self.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

AceClown posted:

Hey there's no reason to build on a planet, so lets change it so now there's no need to build on your ship....

loving idiots who have no idea how a game becomes a good game.
I swear to god it is cargo cult game development. Only understanding the trappings and elements of games they want to emulate, but lacking a fundamental comprehension of how to use those elements properly, leading to throwing a bunch of poo poo in a pile and being unable to even understand that it is poo poo.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

I dunno, rather, it sounds like you guys are loving morons

The mere notion of having structures that only work on planets is a sign that they don't even understand game design?

What about all the ideas that have been tossed about and gotten love in this thread before, like having structures on a planet that mine resources for you automatically? You're really gonna bitch if they add something like that and it only works on a planet, but not on your spaceship?

"Planetside-only structures" is not an insane concept, you are just retarded.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

mining is too drat slow, so let's make it more dangerous! :downs:

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

XboxPants posted:

You're right, but chucklefish are also retarded and you know they're gonna gently caress it up

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Smoremaster posted:

You're right, but chucklefish are also retarded and you know they're gonna gently caress it up

well sure

doesn't mean the idea is bad though

If the metric is "this idea, in chucklefish's hands, will result in a bad mechanic" then it's like you're saying ALL ideas are bad

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
It's definitely "my poo poo" to be locked in some fashion to one particular planet in a game with thousands of them that I could be exploring instead.

stuntwaffle
Mar 7, 2007

I wish Starbound was a dick so I could put it in my ass and mouth!

XboxPants posted:

The mere notion of having structures that only work on planets is a sign that they don't even understand game design?

What about all the ideas that have been tossed about and gotten love in this thread before, like having structures on a planet that mine resources for you automatically? You're really gonna bitch if they add something like that and it only works on a planet, but not on your spaceship?

Please don't troll the Starbound thread.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Personally I've never been into the "you should have to build on planets" idea, big custom spaceships which you put everything on are way more cool and more fitting of a space game.
The only difference building on planets would make is that for some utilities, you'd have to suffer through loading the planet each time you used them after hitting the Teleport Home button.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

XboxPants posted:

I'd be cool with autominers and the like but I get the feeling that won't be what we get and instead it will be some annoying thing where I can't smelt poo poo unless I'm in an O2 rich planetary environment or something.

There's a hundred million games where I can build planetside structures. I want to play a game that's all about My Awesome Spaceship. It just happens to be that the game I'm talking about ended up being Space Engineers.

IronicDongz posted:

The only difference building on planets would make is that for some utilities, you'd have to suffer through loading the planet each time you used them after hitting the Teleport Home button.

This is pretty much exactly the problem. Also I can't believe that we still don't have a way to change the teleport point for a planet yet.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I read that stuff to mean that there would be planet-only things you could build to progress tiers and poo poo without leaving one world if that's what you want to do.

OR you could stick everything in your ship and go on space adventures to new worlds to progress the tiers.

So you go with the one you find more enjoyable.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

edit: ^^ what Wee Tinkle Wand said

JerikTelorian posted:

I'd be cool with autominers and the like but I get the feeling that won't be what we get and instead it will be some annoying thing where I can't smelt poo poo unless I'm in an O2 rich planetary environment or something.

That doesn't mesh with their intended design for the game, though. They're trying to add new gameplay paths for the game, besides the more nomadic, spaceship based style that's basically how the game already plays, with another type being more build-based. But they're not removing the nomadic explorer path. Every path still needs to be able to access all the necessary utilities, like smelting. This is more like additional features. Right now building doesn't provide you with any benefit.

So no, they're not going to make a "you have to build on planets" thing. The entire point is to set it up so that you have options.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

wasn't this supposed to be a sandbox game? now it's basically railroading with multiple paths. and lol chucklefish still have no goddamn idea what they even want their game to be. what a bunch of loving morons

hurr durr move to london and pet the dog and redesign the combat system for the 10th time hurrrrrrr

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

It's not about the difference between planet structures and ship structures, it's that time and time again chucklefish go about things in a totally rear end backwards way.

Problem = People are skipping to desert planets to go sand mining because mining is boring as poo poo.
Best solution = do something to make mining more fun or more rewarding
Chucklefish solution = disable sandmining

They see that people are living on their ships and can't loving even ask a simple "why?" question when the answer is simple as poo poo.

There is no benefit to colonizing a planet over living on a ship and without a custom teleport spot you're forced to build in the exact spot you land in.

So why not do something like have NPC's come visit your planet settlements, or let the player make small mining bots that you need a base for them to operate out of, make some pissed off natives come and attack and try to drive you off. I know nerds well and if you say some poo poo like "we've decided that if you actually build on a planet once a week the space postman will come and deliver you some bullshit cosmetic items you won't get by living in space" and boom, everyone has an outpost.

Starbound is like a dude competing with another dude for the sen-pai and instead of going to the gym and bathing regular to make himself the more attractive option he just goes and cuts the other dudes face up so he's the more attractive option by default.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

XboxPants posted:

The game is called "Starbound"

Duane Walker
Sep 10, 2010
I haven't played this game since the summer. Does it still suck or can it be fun beyond building dick monuments on all the planets you encounter?

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
You can mess with nightlies and believe that there is some hope or play the same game you had played in the summer and believe that there is some hope.

There is no hope.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010
Don't worry, they've changed the font! A clear sign that everything will be okay.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

XboxPants posted:

This is always the right answer when dealing with goons.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
This thread is worse than Starbound.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Colonel J posted:

This thread is worse than Starbound.

This thread has given me more hours fun than starbound so um your wrong pal

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I picture all the star bound devs in a room together for several hours just saying "well.. Should we make it faster?" And then someone else going "how much faster..?" Followed my several more hours of silence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

Jackard posted:

The game is called "Starbound"

lol, you can't even build anything on stars, checkmate chucklefucks.

• Locked thread