Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

notaspy posted:

But we need those places to:

A). Stick it to the Russians
B). Increase our internal market
C). Keep the value of the Euro low
D). Spread democratic liberalism

E) Ensure a continual supply of basically slave labour for the western/northern European nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

notaspy posted:

But we need those places to:

A). Stick it to the Russians
B). Increase our internal market
C). Keep the value of the Euro low
D). Spread democratic liberalism

I kinda agree with the notion that the EU needs to stop expanding. They should've stopped with the 2004 run. The Baltics and Poland are doing fairly okay, but besides those, I'm not sure if there have been any major success stories. We need to focus on raising the median standard of living in the EU before taking on more countries. And there definitely need to be more stringent policies on eradicating governmental corruption in the new accession states.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

awesome-express posted:

I kinda agree with the notion that the EU needs to stop expanding. They should've stopped with the 2004 run. The Baltics and Poland are doing fairly okay, but besides those, I'm not sure if there have been any major success stories. We need to focus on raising the median standard of living in the EU before taking on more countries. And there definitely need to be more stringent policies on eradicating governmental corruption in the new accession states.

But if we stop expanding the Russians win. Do you want the Russians to win? awesome-express wants the Russians to win. awesome-express hates freedom.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Zephro posted:

Those Romania points are interesting. I do kind of think that EU enlargement has become a bit of a self-licking ice cream and that we've ended up admitting a bunch of places with pretty dodgy politics, finances or cultural practises into the Union that maybe we shouldn't have.
It's been that way since the 70s.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Zephro posted:

Those Romania points are interesting. I do kind of think that EU enlargement has become a bit of a self-licking ice cream and that we've ended up admitting a bunch of places with pretty dodgy politics, finances or cultural practises into the Union that maybe we shouldn't have.

Please point to a country that fits none of the above descriptions. Take as long as you need.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Ddraig posted:

I've been wanting to get a job with the local council in something for a while, but their vacancies are loving frustrating in that 99% of all advertised jobs are 'only available to current employees or contractors of Cardiff County Council"

Surely that's against some sort of labour law?

e: At this point I'd go for a road sweeper job to get my foot in the door but even those are only available to current employees.

Sign up for Cardiff Council's temping agency, Cardiff Works. When you're positioned somewhere you can apply for all the jobs.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jan 19, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Zephro posted:

I agree, they shouldn't have let the UK in

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Gilganixon posted:

I agree, they shouldn't have let the UK in

De Gaulle was in charge of France when this whole thing started. Just saying.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Dabir posted:

Please point to a country that fits none of the above descriptions. Take as long as you need.
No country is perfect at (x) therefore all countries are equally bad at (x)

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

For poo poo n' giggles, let's just get Ukraine in with no pre-accession infrastructure and government reform. Dirt cheap labor and hot women are a nice bonus. Take that, Putin :coolfish:

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 19, 2015

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

awesome-express posted:

I think they should have stopped before 2004

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Blue Star Error posted:

I think they should have stopped before 2004

That too. Or they should focus on one country at a time. Not sure how Greece managed to get through.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

awesome-express posted:

That too. Or they should focus on one country at a time. Not sure how Greece managed to get through.

They got into the eurozone by having the country's leaders and senior public servants lie through their teeth about the state of the economy and public finances. They're not all that bad as an EU member state, however.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

awesome-express posted:

For poo poo n' giggles, let's just get Ukraine in with no pre-accession infrastructure and government reform. Dirt cheap labor and hot women are a nice bonus. Take that, Putin :coolfish:

they also knock out solid Dota players

we are quids in

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

Didn't the Greeks hire Goldman Sachs to massage their books? I don't remember where I read this who knows if it is accurate enjoy this unsubstantiated rumour.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Phoon posted:

Didn't the Greeks hire Goldman Sachs to massage their books? I don't remember where I read this who knows if it is accurate enjoy this unsubstantiated rumour.
Yes.

Goldman also approached them again with another scheme smack bang in the middle of the crisis.

A few, sources, for you.

That last one is pretty lol.

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jan 19, 2015

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Phoon posted:

Yes in order to meet the criteria to enter the Euro. It has been admitted by the Greek government.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

LemonDrizzle posted:

UKIP, representing the country's best and brightest.

I actually ran across one of these at work a few weeks back - bloke totally believed that UKIP will have a majority in the next election. I started attempting to explain FPTP and just gave up.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Although to be honest, even if the kippers' gains are small (as they almost certainly will be), a Con/UKIP coalition is not as far outside the realm of possibility as we might hope. This does not look to be an election where anyone's getting a comfortable majority.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It'll really depend on how many seats they get. If they reach double digits they'll be in with a shot at a coalition, but shy of that I'm not sure they can bring enough to the table for Cameron to think them worth dealing with, because their demands are going to be insane either way, and I don't know if they have the total lack of spine that Clegg et al do, and be willing to forget all their policies in exchange for getting to do what Cameron says. Plus Farage would love it because he could say "Look, the White people want us in power, but we're still being kept out!" or some such bollocks.

Then again this is the Great British Publictm we're talking about, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we ended up with a UKIP/BNP coalition or something equally horrific.

e; I'm sorry, I of course meant "British people" not the "white people", my statements and those of numberless other party members at all levels in no way reflect the opinions of my party :v:

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Oberleutnant posted:

There should be a UKMT drinking game for the debates. The rule is you take a swig of whatever you're drinking every time a participant says something reprehensible or demonstrably false.

But I'll drown :ohdear:

Zephro posted:

Turns out domino theory is true, they just fingered the wrong ideology :suicide:

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Is it guaranteed that the ukips and the tories wouldn't work together though? They're pretty much the same ideologically, it's just that ukip reflects the more right-wing side of the tory party, so they already have natural allies (and these are the people Cameron is desperate to keep on-side as well). Their messages aren't any different - ukip wants to clear out immigrants and have an EU referendum, Cameron wants to clear out immigrants with less strident language and is constantly promising a referendum, even if he personally doesn't want to have one. Everything else is pretty much the same low-tax free-market bollocks

A coalition is amazing for Farage because it gives him more credibility and legitimacy than any amount of BBC coverage could ever manage. He gets to back tory immigration policy while being the PR firebrand for them, what a character. In fact the whole situation would be like a single party in power, pretending to be two separate parties so they can play good cop bad cop. Who needs the lib dems when the tories themselves can be the nice guys?

Cameron himself can spin a coalition as a good thing because nobody seems to care about his constant lies and contradictions and empty rhetoric. He could just talk about bla bla democracy and this is right, we can work together, the british people have voiced their concerns and everyone would go hmm yes. They have no principles to betray - maybe internally there'd be problems with the idea of sharing power, but when it's expedient (and maybe their best option of the lot) it would be an easier sell

The sticking point is probably the EU referendum, but Cameron keeps on throwing himself down that slippery slope with breathless promises - it seems like there's so much demand for it in the party that if Farage came along saying GIMME REFERENDUM they'd throw Cameron under a bus before they'd let him back out of an agreement sealing the deal

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dabir posted:

Did you sign up with an employment agency yet?

Metrication
Dec 12, 2010

Raskin had one problem: Jobs regarded him as an insufferable theorist or, to use Jobs's own more precise terminology, "a shithead who sucks".

Mister Adequate posted:

Then again this is the Great British Publictm we're talking about, I wouldn't be terribly surprised if we ended up with a UKIP/BNP coalition or something equally horrific.

I thought the BNP had disintegrated. They have no chance of getting an MP anyway.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

baka kaba posted:

Is it guaranteed that the ukips and the tories wouldn't work together though? They're pretty much the same ideologically, it's just that ukip reflects the more right-wing side of the tory party, so they already have natural allies (and these are the people Cameron is desperate to keep on-side as well). Their messages aren't any different - ukip wants to clear out immigrants and have an EU referendum, Cameron wants to clear out immigrants with less strident language and is constantly promising a referendum, even if he personally doesn't want to have one. Everything else is pretty much the same low-tax free-market bollocks

A coalition is amazing for Farage because it gives him more credibility and legitimacy than any amount of BBC coverage could ever manage. He gets to back tory immigration policy while being the PR firebrand for them, what a character. In fact the whole situation would be like a single party in power, pretending to be two separate parties so they can play good cop bad cop. Who needs the lib dems when the tories themselves can be the nice guys?

Cameron himself can spin a coalition as a good thing because nobody seems to care about his constant lies and contradictions and empty rhetoric. He could just talk about bla bla democracy and this is right, we can work together, the british people have voiced their concerns and everyone would go hmm yes. They have no principles to betray - maybe internally there'd be problems with the idea of sharing power, but when it's expedient (and maybe their best option of the lot) it would be an easier sell

The sticking point is probably the EU referendum, but Cameron keeps on throwing himself down that slippery slope with breathless promises - it seems like there's so much demand for it in the party that if Farage came along saying GIMME REFERENDUM they'd throw Cameron under a bus before they'd let him back out of an agreement sealing the deal

Oh no, I wouldn't guarantee that at all, I think on paper they make excellent natural allies with very few significant policy differences, as long as UKIP can rein in their more strident language. That said, UKIP are powered by precisely that strident language ("just common sense" "only telling the truth" "saying what everyone is thinking" and so forth) and they probably gain more than they lose whenever someone in the party commits a 'gaffe' and uses racial slurs or whatever. By coming into government they're going to have to play ball, and I don't think they really can, which means there's going to be a tipping point where the Tories decide it's not worth the hassle for the extra votes in the Commons. Cameron clearly knows better than to actually hold an EU referendum because we might vote for national suicide, but there's no way UKIP comes into the coalition without a firm agreement on that. As you say though, Farage can probably just go to the party over Cameron's head in that case.

Of course, this all hinges very much on all the numbers after the election, and it's possible that UKIP with single-digit seats could be Kingmakers, or that with a healthy double-digit number of MPs they are condemned to parliamentary irrelevance because someone else has a commanding majority. I wouldn't care to place wagers on exactly where my hypothetical "Nope too much trouble" point might rest, that's for sure.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Mister Adequate posted:

It'll really depend on how many seats they get. If they reach double digits they'll be in with a shot at a coalition, but shy of that I'm not sure they can bring enough to the table for Cameron to think them worth dealing with, because their demands are going to be insane either way, and I don't know if they have the total lack of spine that Clegg et al do, and be willing to forget all their policies in exchange for getting to do what Cameron says. Plus Farage would love it because he could say "Look, the White people want us in power, but we're still being kept out!" or some such bollocks.

e; I'm sorry, I of course meant "British people" not the "white people", my statements and those of numberless other party members at all levels in no way reflect the opinions of my party :v:

For UKIP to have a chance at coalition then the Tories still need to maintain or enlarge their current seat count, which is something that UKIP will prevent them from doing even before Labour takes some marginals.

What is depressing is that FPTP is the only thing stopping a completely batshit right-wing coalition right now. If we had PR then the Tories and UKIP would be by far the largest ideological grouping. FPTP is the only thing that means that a less-lovely Labour government elected with 33% of the vote is realistic. The political left in this country would be utterly hosed if the right was to abandon its irrational love of our broken plurality system.

twoot fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Jan 19, 2015

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Mister Adequate posted:

That said, UKIP are powered by precisely that strident language ("just common sense" "only telling the truth" "saying what everyone is thinking" and so forth) and they probably gain more than they lose whenever someone in the party commits a 'gaffe' and uses racial slurs or whatever. By coming into government they're going to have to play ball, and I don't think they really can, which means there's going to be a tipping point where the Tories decide it's not worth the hassle for the extra votes in the Commons.

I'm not really sure about that, the Tories and even Labour have had their share of people saying really terrible stuff, it just gets brushed off as bad apples or people being gauche for voicing it in public. UKIP in government would be like a watershed, and I have no doubt at all that they'd clean house if necessary to sustain this new legitimacy. And they'd still be 'telling it like it is' - that would really be the role of people like Farage in government. An attack dog for the government, but also a nasty element for the Tories to look good next to, someone who'll play the pantomime villain so they can look moderate in everything they do.

I mean that's the kind of role that's perfect for him, and the kind of thing he'd enjoy immensely, and the media and public would love it too. Like a more right-wing Boris whose special skill is 'gently caress immigrants and the EU' instead of general clowning. He'd be the only kipper in a post of any significance, but his demands are really only what the Tories want to give anyway, so it's almost all the ukip support and press for free

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

twoot posted:

For UKIP to have a chance at coalition then the Tories still need to maintain or enlarge their current seat count, which is something that UKIP will prevent them from doing even before Labour takes some marginals.

What is depressing is that FPTP is the only thing stopping a completely batshit right-wing coalition right now. If we had PR then the Tories and UKIP would be by far the largest ideological grouping. FPTP is the only thing that means that a less-lovely Labour government elected with 33% of the vote is realistic. The political left in this country would be utterly hosed if the right was to abandon its irrational love of our broken plurality system.

Yes but only if you think with a PR system everyone would vote the same. Greens would get a major boost if people thought it would get them seats and you'd probably get some sort of left coalition actually being not-worthless for the same reason.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
I guess at a very basic level the question is: why is everyone in the country such a vile piece of poo poo? And how do we fix them?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Regarde Aduck posted:

I guess at a very basic level the question is: why is everyone in the country such a vile piece of poo poo? And how do we fix them?

Ignorance, and a culture of fear, exacerbated by political and media scapegoats.

There isn't really an easy solution.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

namesake posted:

Yes but only if you think with a PR system everyone would vote the same. Greens would get a major boost if people thought it would get them seats and you'd probably get some sort of left coalition actually being not-worthless for the same reason.

While its true that the parties people vote for might shuffle around, I was thinking in terms of people voting for left/right. Green would probably become a proper force under PR, but their votes would come from Labour or Lib Dem. Overall that pool of available voters may not change much.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
UKMT: why is everyone in the country such a vile piece of poo poo?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KKKlean Energy posted:

Thatcher. That is always the answer given.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

Thatcher. That is always the answer given.

Ah, but why was Thatcher such a vile piece of poo poo?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Darth Walrus posted:

Middle class insecurity.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

twoot posted:

I hadn't really taken that into consideration but you're right, it's more likely UKIP eats Tory votes and both lose (which is why Cameron has suddenly found the virtue of allowing the Greens into the debates).

baka kaba posted:

I'm not really sure about that, the Tories and even Labour have had their share of people saying really terrible stuff, it just gets brushed off as bad apples or people being gauche for voicing it in public. UKIP in government would be like a watershed, and I have no doubt at all that they'd clean house if necessary to sustain this new legitimacy. And they'd still be 'telling it like it is' - that would really be the role of people like Farage in government. An attack dog for the government, but also a nasty element for the Tories to look good next to, someone who'll play the pantomime villain so they can look moderate in everything they do.

I mean that's the kind of role that's perfect for him, and the kind of thing he'd enjoy immensely, and the media and public would love it too. Like a more right-wing Boris whose special skill is 'gently caress immigrants and the EU' instead of general clowning. He'd be the only kipper in a post of any significance, but his demands are really only what the Tories want to give anyway, so it's almost all the ukip support and press for free

I think you might be right about this, actually, I was just thinking they may not be able to clean house depending on how well they can realistically predict and sensibly act upon seats they have a real chance of winning. They don't have safe seats to parachute their safe, restrained people into to ensure those are the ones who get into government, so they might end up with several 'blokes from down the pub' in which case good luck riding herd on that shower. Still, they'd probably get Big Nige to sit down personally with each one in turn and explain why it's very very important to not use racial slurs and what have you, so they might manage it. I think you're mostly correct on this, giving it some thought, and I may have been overstating the problems UKIP could face, especially as continuous horrendous statements from their existing gobshites has done little to discredit them as a group.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Darth Walrus posted:

There is no why. It is axiomatic.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

Ddraig posted:

I've been wanting to get a job with the local council in something for a while, but their vacancies are loving frustrating in that 99% of all advertised jobs are 'only available to current employees or contractors of Cardiff County Council"

Surely that's against some sort of labour law?

e: At this point I'd go for a road sweeper job to get my foot in the door but even those are only available to current employees.

I'm moving to Cardiff soon and this pisses me off no end every time I look on there :(

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Don't move to Cardiff, it's terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

Guavanaut posted:

Thought I'd wandered into Auspol for a second.

• Locked thread