Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated

Tae posted:

Morrigan basically prefers sex friend instead of the stuff that leads to and results in after sex. Her dialog tree is basically avoiding anything that a home-schooled logic person that sees how romance is, which is "useless."

She was certainly better then pretty much any romance options for male Shepard in ME1. Not that it was well done, but it's Bioware for you and not like most devs manage it any better. I didn't find DA:I or DA:2 options any better really, at least for regular male MC. As a matter effect I found options in DA:I worse from romance perspective, although from character perspective I found it more interesting overall then DAO. As a game and especially with matters to combat though, DAO was a lot better, IMO. Then again, I was one of those people who liked ME1 combat options a lot more then pretty much a TPS shooter ME2/3 have become (talking about PC here).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Don't talk poo poo about my wife, Morrigan.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

(Inquisition spoilers) Morrigan's romance really paid off in Inquisition when you see her again and ask her to get in touch with her husband. "He's going to think I'm worried about him. This will be insufferable."

Other than Morrigan and maybe Alistair I was never super attached to any of the Dragon Age romances. Cullen was alright in Inquisition, but he really just felt like Alistair 2.0, but with more Templar problems.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Alistair is straight up snarky and jokey from the second you meet him and doesn't let up until near the end. Cullen is far more serious and only delves into humor if you goad him into it. I don't think they're the same at all aside from being templars with similar hair styles.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Tae posted:

Alistair is straight up snarky and jokey from the second you meet him and doesn't let up until near the end. Cullen is far more serious and only delves into humor if you goad him into it. I don't think they're the same at all aside from being templars with similar hair styles.

I was goading him into it, all day erry day. The annals of Thedas' history will be filled with rear end in a top hat snarky heroes.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.
Argh why do all SRPGs do that dumb poo poo where the setup looks reasonably challenging but oh hey half the enemy force follows bushido and sits still until the rest have finished their "duels" (there are no duels, just mob beatdowns).

Seriously there is no reason a boss should sit still for 5 turns. During the final quarter of the game.

Please give me a challenge. Please try to win.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Regarding the SRPG thing, a friend of mine who really really REALLY loves Final Fantasy Tactics explained once that the enemy units in that game cannot see the entire grid of the battle, just within their field of vision (whatever that may be). So if the only enemy within their FOV is too high to reach, for example, instead of stalking other enemies four panels away or so, they just give up and stand there. Other SRPGs may be similar.

Byde
Apr 15, 2013

by Lowtax

Heavy neutrino posted:

Argh why do all SRPGs do that dumb poo poo where the setup looks reasonably challenging but oh hey half the enemy force follows bushido and sits still until the rest have finished their "duels" (there are no duels, just mob beatdowns).

Seriously there is no reason a boss should sit still for 5 turns. During the final quarter of the game.

Please give me a challenge. Please try to win.

I think it's because competent AI is probably too much for the processor/average user to handle.
For example, computers still can't beat pro players in Go due to how complex it is to process all the probable moves and find the best moves without frying themselves.

In comparison, something like chess is easy for a computer to outmatch any realistic human, see Deep Blue.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Or, y'know, it's because they don't want all the enemy units to rush you at once and both overwhelm you and crowd on one end of the map.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005
After a long delay I finally got around to finishing off Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete the other night. Upon finishing it I couldn't help but think that a remake could really deliver a great product, one not held back by the childish tone of the original. I started to go through all the changes I would make and then realized that I was basically describing the awesome Grandia II, so I guess I've already played it. If I could change one thing retroactively it would be the really terrible characters of Kyle and Jessica, and their abysmal relationship. Every time they spoke to each other I couldn't help but cringe. Kyle was alright, a fun loving kind of guy, but the writers really made Jessica an awful character, she's horribly unlikable. Nash was the most interesting character, he's a tool and owns it. Mya was a waste of time as a character and only served to fill out your party.

Unlike my last play through, where I was simply too underpowered to defeat the final boss, this time I breezed through him. On my last play through I was only a level 44 at the final boss fight, and more importantly was out of items to restore my magic...so I was seriously hosed. This time I was a level 50 and loaded with supplies and took great pleasure in stomping the lame rear end Magic Emperor into the ground. I was actually really surprised how much play time was left after the final boss was defeated, I expected a series of cutscenes but instead I had to go around and talk to a few more characters. Not sure it was worth it, but I appreciated the thought.

So now I move on to slew of other RPGs that I've been putting off for years. Currently I'm debating between:

Legend of Dragoon- Not going to happen, I've given it a few tries and just get bored late into disk 2.
Vagrant Story- I tried it once years ago and thought it was an interesting concept...but I remember something about the battle system really turning me off.
Grandia I- I'm not even sure when I bought this game, I'd only play it because I really liked Grandia II.
Shining the Holy Ark- I've only ever dabbled with this game but I've never sat down and really tried it for an extended period. The only real attempt I made at it I got bogged down in some swamp dungeon and never went back.

If anyone has some suggestions I'd be happy to take them into account.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
dont play any of those

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

isn't grandia good?

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Cake Attack posted:

isn't grandia good?

Grandia is good.

Variant_Eris
Nov 2, 2014

Exhibition C: Colgate white smile

Cake Attack posted:

isn't grandia good?

It's anime as hell, but what RPG isn't?

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

"Anime as hell" needs to be saved for poo poo like Hyperdimension Neptunia, not just "this game has some anime characters in it I guess"

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I think Vagrant Story is worth playing through once. I really like the story, but some of the game mechanics are pretty cumbersome. Probably worth keeping some FAQs handy for equipment forging/upgrading.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

SpitztheGreat posted:

After a long delay I finally got around to finishing off Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete the other night. Upon finishing it I couldn't help but think that a remake could really deliver a great product, one not held back by the childish tone of the original. I started to go through all the changes I would make and then realized that I was basically describing the awesome Grandia II, so I guess I've already played it. If I could change one thing retroactively it would be the really terrible characters of Kyle and Jessica, and their abysmal relationship. Every time they spoke to each other I couldn't help but cringe. Kyle was alright, a fun loving kind of guy, but the writers really made Jessica an awful character, she's horribly unlikable. Nash was the most interesting character, he's a tool and owns it. Mya was a waste of time as a character and only served to fill out your party.

Kyle and Jessica are actually one of the better written couples I've seen in a JRPG. Mind you good romance isn't a selling point of video games but their relationship in particular stands out. They practically have the same personality, both recognize their affection for each other, forgive each other for their shortcomings, and kick each other's asses when they gently caress up. But most importantly neither of them is domineering or submissive. They're both abrasive but neither Jessica nor Kyle holds power over their relationship or lords their station above the other. It's a very mutual relationship.

And that's loving rare because 9 times out of 10 the female is a submissive or broken character that you have to "fix" before they get together. Or the female has to overcome whatever misgivings she has about the male because of circumstances that happened in the beginning of the game, whatever.

Tales games are so guilty of this poo poo. I've only played a few but right now Kohaku in Tales of Hearts R is literally a broken character shuttled around like baggage. Even in the brief moment at the beginning of the game she comes off as feisty-but-cute anime girl.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Whoever recommended Tales of Xillia is pretty alright, a few hours in this already seems like a quality timesink even though the controls are a bit questionable

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

al-azad posted:

Kyle and Jessica are actually one of the better written couples I've seen in a JRPG. Mind you good romance isn't a selling point of video games but their relationship in particular stands out. They practically have the same personality, both recognize their affection for each other, forgive each other for their shortcomings, and kick each other's asses when they gently caress up. But most importantly neither of them is domineering or submissive. They're both abrasive but neither Jessica nor Kyle holds power over their relationship or lords their station above the other. It's a very mutual relationship.

And that's loving rare because 9 times out of 10 the female is a submissive or broken character that you have to "fix" before they get together. Or the female has to overcome whatever misgivings she has about the male because of circumstances that happened in the beginning of the game, whatever.

Tales games are so guilty of this poo poo. I've only played a few but right now Kohaku in Tales of Hearts R is literally a broken character shuttled around like baggage. Even in the brief moment at the beginning of the game she comes off as feisty-but-cute anime girl.

I'm almost done with Tales of Hearts R. The characters are pretty cliche, but they seem entertaining enough. Hisui kind of develops a relationship with Beryl similar to the one Kyle and Jessica have, but its greatly overshadowed by Kohaku and Kor's relationship.

SpitztheGreat
Jul 20, 2005

al-azad posted:

I'll assume that you've played a lot more RPGs than I have, but in a vacuum I can't say that Jessica and Kyle had a "good" relationship. I was particularly struck by a conversation towards the end of the game as you fly to the Althena's Fortress. Jessica says something about never hearing about the fortress in any of her classes to which Kyle says something like "That's because you always ditched class honey-bun." Ok, mild ribbing that wasn't really necessary considering that you're flying to the fortress of a god. But Jessica's response was an escalation unlike any I've heard recently. She responds to Kyle by saying "At least I went to school, you dumb bastard." Whoa, shots fired! Nash actually speaks up and calls them both children, which took the words right out of my mouth.

I'll give you that Jessica isn't submissive, and that is refreshing. However, they're both assholes and treat each other poorly. I wasn't rooting for them to get together and would have loved it if the adventure had shown them that they could live without one another.

But maybe I'm just not fun or understanding as I get older. Also, the game was originally released in 1993, so expectations have probably changed drastically.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Mill Village posted:

I'm almost done with Tales of Hearts R. The characters are pretty cliche, but they seem entertaining enough. Hisui kind of develops a relationship with Beryl similar to the one Kyle and Jessica have, but its greatly overshadowed by Kohaku and Kor's relationship.

hisui's romantic interest is the green hair girl whose name i forget, beryl's the painter kid

i want to point this out because someone early in ToH might have got the impression that the game goes in a weird direction

al-azad
May 28, 2009

At this point Beryl also has a thing for Kor which I'm sure never gets resolved. She's probably the strongest fighter in the party at this point but I don't know where she's going in the story.

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'll assume that you've played a lot more RPGs than I have, but in a vacuum I can't say that Jessica and Kyle had a "good" relationship. I was particularly struck by a conversation towards the end of the game as you fly to the Althena's Fortress. Jessica says something about never hearing about the fortress in any of her classes to which Kyle says something like "That's because you always ditched class honey-bun." Ok, mild ribbing that wasn't really necessary considering that you're flying to the fortress of a god. But Jessica's response was an escalation unlike any I've heard recently. She responds to Kyle by saying "At least I went to school, you dumb bastard." Whoa, shots fired! Nash actually speaks up and calls them both children, which took the words right out of my mouth.

I'll give you that Jessica isn't submissive, and that is refreshing. However, they're both assholes and treat each other poorly. I wasn't rooting for them to get together and would have loved it if the adventure had shown them that they could live without one another.

But maybe I'm just not fun or understanding as I get older. Also, the game was originally released in 1993, so expectations have probably changed drastically.

Kyle doesn't call her out on it and they're both consenting in their back and forth quibbling. It would be different if one of them was like "I don't appreciate you treating me like this" but they both like it and like each other for it. Kyle is an oaf and Jessica is brusque yet neither of them are abusive to each other.

Nash is right, they both act like schoolyard children.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

hisui's romantic interest is the green hair girl whose name i forget, beryl's the painter kid

i want to point this out because someone early in ToH might have got the impression that the game goes in a weird direction

I know Hisui likes Lithia (the green haired girl), but there are a few skits late in the game where he seems to like Beryl. Their personalities are very similar. I could be misinterpreting that, though.

According to Aselia (the Tales wiki), Beryl is actually 18. She's clearly a very immature adult, though.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

no stop don't make it weird i liked hearts a lot

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

no stop don't make it weird i liked hearts a lot

lol

I keep trying to play ar no surge and it's just weird I dunno if I can finish it.

Also this is awful

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

Byde posted:

I think it's because competent AI is probably too much for the processor/average user to handle.
For example, computers still can't beat pro players in Go due to how complex it is to process all the probable moves and find the best moves without frying themselves.

In comparison, something like chess is easy for a computer to outmatch any realistic human, see Deep Blue.

Final Fantasy Tactics managed to have a decent (with some flaws) AI without destroying the PSX's tiny little CPU (it was actually uncanny how good it was with timing, using your own spells against you, and using Reflect -- a status that you barely ever saw -- intelligently). Besides, if you're at the point where you're wondering if the platform's CPU can handle your AI, you've probably waaaaay overshot the difficulty level. I want a challenge, not a brick wall.

Erebus posted:

Or, y'know, it's because they don't want all the enemy units to rush you at once and both overwhelm you and crowd on one end of the map.

Isn't that the only way to have a fun, challenging SRPG, though? I don't like it when it's a pathetic, staggered series of 3-on-10 battles. Most fun I've had was usually blocking off chokepoints and desperately fighting for my fake anime characters' lives against overwhelming odds in hardmode Fire Emblem mods.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Where the gently caress is the story in Devil.Survivor 2

It just sort it of pops up on day six all at once and seems just kind of shoehorned in

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
No, that's pretty much how it is. People say DS2 has a bad Evangelion plot but the take away I had is that it didn't really have an actual plot at all for most of the game. It just kind of dicks around for 90% of the time with extraordinarily bland characters (besides Jungo) and winds up being kind of forgettable by the end. Good thing the gameplay is mostly still fun.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

No, that's pretty much how it is. People say DS2 has a bad Evangelion plot but the take away I had is that it didn't really have an actual plot at all for most of the game. It just kind of dicks around for 90% of the time with extraordinarily bland characters (besides Jungo) and winds up being kind of forgettable by the end. Good thing the gameplay is mostly still fun.

It was fun, I'll give it that. I went with the Hitler ending and now going on to twewy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

SpitztheGreat posted:

Unlike my last play through, where I was simply too underpowered to defeat the final boss, this time I breezed through him. On my last play through I was only a level 44 at the final boss fight, and more importantly was out of items to restore my magic...so I was seriously hosed. This time I was a level 50 and loaded with supplies and took great pleasure in stomping the lame rear end Magic Emperor into the ground. I was actually really surprised how much play time was left after the final boss was defeated, I expected a series of cutscenes but instead I had to go around and talk to a few more characters. Not sure it was worth it, but I appreciated the thought.

So now I move on to slew of other RPGs that I've been putting off for years. Currently I'm debating between:

Legend of Dragoon- Not going to happen, I've given it a few tries and just get bored late into disk 2.
Vagrant Story- I tried it once years ago and thought it was an interesting concept...but I remember something about the battle system really turning me off.
Grandia I- I'm not even sure when I bought this game, I'd only play it because I really liked Grandia II.
Shining the Holy Ark- I've only ever dabbled with this game but I've never sat down and really tried it for an extended period. The only real attempt I made at it I got bogged down in some swamp dungeon and never went back.

Shining the Holy Ark is like one of my favorite games ever. It's a mechanical sequel to Shining in the Darkness and it's a prequel to Shining Force 3 story-wise. I have a real soft spot for Camelot developed games though. It's a first person dungeon crawler and is balls hard at points but I still periodically go back and play it from time to time.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ZenVulgarity posted:

It was fun, I'll give it that. I went with the Hitler ending and now going on to twewy.

Go into TWEWY with an open mind. The protag is incredibly insufferable but there's a reason behind it and when the game hits its stride it keeps you going.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

SpitztheGreat posted:

I'm in a similar mindset with the Star Ocean series. I played through a good chunk of SO2 on the PSX back in the day but got burnt out on second disc when the plot started going off the rails.

I've always wanted to finish it one day, but I decided to try the PSP remake of the original Star Ocean first since it was remade with basically the same engine as the sequel.

So far I'm enjoying it since the plot is more grounded than SO2 and seems to have a better balanced mix of the Sci-Fi/Fantasy elements.

The only thing I don't like is having to consult guides and read up on all the recruitable characters so I don't screw up and lock myself out of getting the ones I want by making some seemingly random decision early on, but that seems to be a common thing with Star Ocean games.

Vakal fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jan 19, 2015

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

al-azad posted:

Go into TWEWY with an open mind. The protag is incredibly insufferable but there's a reason behind it and when the game hits its stride it keeps you going.

In skeptical about touch controls. I really don't like the touch screen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I loved the gameplay in TWEWY, they're pretty fun controls once you get used to them. I had to force myself to continue the plot at times because fighting various noises was just more fun. Helps that you can adjust the difficulty to increase your experience gains.

I'm playing Front Mission 5 and I'm not quite sure I get the point of the roguelike simulator. The beforeiplay wiki and other sources say that's where you should spend the majority of your time to grind for money, but when you die you lose everything? I figured it was going to be like the Item World in Disgaea where you can leave whenever and keep whatever you've gotten up to that point. I guess you need to find "escape codes" or beat special floors but I just don't see how it's possible with no way to heal when it's you against like 20 enemies. Do you at least keep experience on your attack styles like Assault?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Levantine posted:

Shining the Holy Ark is like one of my favorite games ever. It's a mechanical sequel to Shining in the Darkness and it's a prequel to Shining Force 3 story-wise. I have a real soft spot for Camelot developed games though. It's a first person dungeon crawler and is balls hard at points but I still periodically go back and play it from time to time.

It's a shame Saturn emulation is so bad in general, this is a game that could really, REALLY stand to be emulated to help get around the painful limitations of the console. That is to say, the game has atrocious framerate most of the time which really drags down the playability of it.

Pretty neat game with some really unique dungeons in it. Too bad about the Shining series these days.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

It's a shame Saturn emulation is so bad in general, this is a game that could really, REALLY stand to be emulated to help get around the painful limitations of the console. That is to say, the game has atrocious framerate most of the time which really drags down the playability of it.

Pretty neat game with some really unique dungeons in it. Too bad about the Shining series these days.

I played it on SSF and it ran really well. This was a couple years ago too. I don't know if Saturn emulation has improved any though.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Good A.I. isn't a technological limitation but a developer one. There have been plenty of games from yesteryears with fantastic A.I, its up to the developer how smart they want to make the enemy.

Anyway I'm currently playing Chrono Trigger and I've promised myself to finish it this time.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Main problem with Grandia I i've noticed in the brief time I've played it is that the load times are abysmal. Even going to the menu has load times. This should not be a thing in any RPG ever

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
By the way, if you genuinely want SciFi then you should play Opoona.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Yeah, Opoona is a pretty great. The game world is surprisingly detailed for a Wii game.