Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Verranicus posted:

1.23 probably appealed to the same people FFXI did, but FFXI came out before we had objectively better and more convenient options in the genre when it was okay for the game to be 99% boring rear end grind. I just don't see how people can think that would be acceptable now. But then, who am I to question LordDarksnake:

You mean Lord Darksnakex.

Because I guess "Lord Darksnake" was already taken or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Posting my recruitment code: Q6D5GXZ5

And as an incentive, if you roll on Gilgamesh and subscribe for 90 days, contact Chyea Chyea. I will hook you up with 10 million gil and a linkshell to talk about anime.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Fishious posted:

So yoshida was just on my server, he was followed by a mob that would make S rank marks blush and you could barely see his tiny lalafell under it. Seems he was mostly here to talk and stream with the FC NGC edofumi, afterwards they had a ceremony at the beach and he briefly joined their FC.
Why did it not even go through my head that you were on Tonberry the first time you posted about JP duty finder raid strats

Also my FC's house is righ t next to the beach they had that party at, I walked right past it as they conversed on Yell chat

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

BabyRyoga posted:

If you have any kind of lag at all, you should drop group. I suspect much of the time, at least one of the two DPSes who instantly dies every pull/every res are lagging, but they are too stubborn to leave and expect to be carried through, which is extremely unlikely in a public group with to gaols and all. Despite the outdated low DPS requirement, most groups abandon before echo stacks up.

Titan EX is a badly designed fight because it relies heavily on your link. SE knows this and they adjusted accordingly when they did later fights (Shiva) so that people whose connections get spotty aren't just hosed by it. When you can VPN to get your connection more stable it helps but "to do this fight either get a VPN or memorize the timings for skills in extremely outdated content and hope you don't get people killed anyways (you will)" is bad.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

regarding things in original FFXIV, check out the final boss of 1.0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khaigVygDl4&t=151s

For those who aren't aware, this fight has been re-imagined in the form of turn 9. I don't think you'll find a starker contrast between 1.0 and 2.0 than when you look at each game's fights side by side.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6xCtO-UApo

That's the most boring combat system I've ever seen. MMO Stockholm syndrome is a hell of a thing.

Popehoist posted:

Is there something I'm missing about doing my Atma relics? I equipped my Zenith weapon and spent 2 hours in lower la noscea yesterday, and nothing. Spent 2 and a half hours in central thanalan today, still nothing. Some of my FC-mates say they got all their atmas in about 8 hours. Am I just getting hosed by the RNG really hard, or is it possible I'm doing something to make the atmas not drop? My inventory has space, btw.

Welcome to the relic grind*. Please Look Forward to It.

*While the patch will change things for some later steps, I find it amusing that it took maybe half as much time to get my Kaiser Knuckles as it did to get my Nexus. Less than a week of playing to go from 115 to 125, though I think my worst atma was a drop after 12 or 13 runs, while I had 4 drop on the first run. Maybe 50-60 dungeon runs total for all 16. :feelsgood:

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

amusinginquiry posted:

Of course when people in this thread are willfully obtuse about what is valuable and interesting in video game and fight design and think:

I guess trying to have any actual discourse is a waste of time.

Vandes has to defend the hunt system because he dumped however many hours it took to get 500 S rank kills. Otherwise, he might have to admit that was a waste of time.

Hmm, this mentality sounds familiar but I can't put my finger on it.

amusinginquiry posted:

It's almost like things can have both good and bad aspects.

1.0 was a bad game with a few well-executed designs.
2.0 is a good game with a ton of wasted potential.

If I posted screenshots of my catgirl, highlighted the post with jokes about my pal greg and said "fracture" intermittently, would you guys like me?

Why is amusing getting so much hate here? He admits 1.0 was deeply flawed but wants to point out the good things Yoshi-P added after he took over. He's explicitly not saying we should go back to 1.0.

It's a worthwhile and interesting perspective even if you don't agree with it, and a far cry from the irrational stuff people link from the official forums.

The people saying he needs to gently caress off to the official forums are being babies.

PhilippAchtel fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2015

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I genuinely think the hunts are the best thing they added to this game because I could avoid relying on baddies to get poo poo done and just do a few hunts here and there and be capped. HOPEFULLY they continue to stay relevant by getting buffed for 2.5 so I can not do dungeons with baddies again

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

ilifinicus posted:

I genuinely think the hunts are the best thing they added to this game because I could avoid relying on baddies to get poo poo done and just do a few hunts here and there and be capped. HOPEFULLY they continue to stay relevant by getting buffed for 2.5 so I can not do dungeons with baddies again

Yeah, you're the guy who dumped hours upon hours for an in game achievement but turns around to berate "baddies" for wasting his valuable time in dungeons through suboptimal play.

:bravo:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

PhilippAchtel posted:

Yeah, you're the guy who dumped hours upon hours for an in game achievement but turns around to berate "baddies" for wasting his valuable time in dungeons through suboptimal play.

:bravo:

Feel free to name a better method of getting soldiery and poetics, or seals and all their items, than hunts when you get to the A and S ranks regularly. Only other things that come close would be blitzing T1-5 with a newbie for the soldiery bonus.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

Feel free to name a better method of getting soldiery and poetics, or seals and all their items, than hunts when you get to the A and S ranks regularly. Only other things that come close would be blitzing T1-5 with a newbie for the soldiery bonus.

What do you mean by "better"? Stones per hour?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

Evil Fluffy posted:

That's the most boring combat system I've ever seen. MMO Stockholm syndrome is a hell of a thing.

Anarchy Online was a compelling and well-designed game

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

I crave full 2.5 patch notes like nothing else right now.

Also I agree that it would be rad if hunts suddenly had soldiery/poetics in similar quantities to 2.3's myth/soldiery rate.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA7GGnyNwEs

Just a reminder that there are some people who want the world to go back to being like this.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Verranicus posted:

Just a reminder that there are some people who want the world to go back to being like this.

And of course, the comments are full of people defending this as good game design.

Jesus christ everything I see of 1.0 looks so stilted and robotic.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I like all the comments defending it by calling it "asset reuse to reduce size." :allears:

Also that had a rad backing track to it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
My attempt to get caught up in time for 2.5's release has failed miserably. Hope everyone isn't running new content all the time to the exclusion of everything else!

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Verranicus posted:

:wtc:

Even Blizzard knows you gotta at least drop a few bits of clutter on the ground to make your copy pasted bits look different. That's just lazy as poo poo.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My group hasn't put a ton of time into T12 yet, but we're making progress! I think we're close to being able to consistently reach phase 3. The main thing at this point is fine tuning our positioning and communication so we don't get boned if somebody with a brand also gets redfire, which sometimes leads to a cascade of accidental brand swaps and explosions. I'm not exactly sure how we're pushing out enough DPS to skip the third set of blackfires but still get six bennus before phase 3 starts, though.

I can taste that phase 4 cruise coming soon.

Also hooray new FC mansion :toot:

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
You will not survive phase 3 with 6 bennus.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

bonewitch posted:

You will not survive phase 3 with 6 bennus.

Yeah you gotta do what you can to at least get 5. Then you can caster LB to knock all the little Bennus life down. After that you might need a tank LB towards the end of the phase to survive the aoes. If you're barely scraping by before the sixth Bennu, you're gonna run into the enrage at the end for sure. It's a soft enrage and is survivable a bit.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

Thundarr posted:

My group hasn't put a ton of time into T12 yet, but we're making progress! I think we're close to being able to consistently reach phase 3. The main thing at this point is fine tuning our positioning and communication so we don't get boned if somebody with a brand also gets redfire, which sometimes leads to a cascade of accidental brand swaps and explosions. I'm not exactly sure how we're pushing out enough DPS to skip the third set of blackfires but still get six bennus before phase 3 starts, though.

I can taste that phase 4 cruise coming soon.

Also hooray new FC mansion :toot:

Have a talk with your DPS about gear/rotations, maybe asking you SCH to DPS as well if your WHM can pick up the slack for a bit. Your aim should be for getting only one set of Blackfires and 4 bennus. You can definitely clear with 5, but you'll need to be smart about timing your murder of the bennus in Phase 3 or you'll get burned to death. My static's first clear was when we finally pushed to 4 bennus.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

CrashCat posted:

Even Blizzard knows you gotta at least drop a few bits of clutter on the ground to make your copy pasted bits look different. That's just lazy as poo poo.

PS3 didnt have the ram for unique + large environments so Tanaka in his infinite wisdom opted for large dull maps over smaller more interesting ones. Oh and butts over client performance.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Oh and butts over client performance.

That's a fair trade.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
Something a little bit different this time:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/201033-SE-Please-Stop.-Dialogue-that-Presumes-My-Sexual-Orientation-Breaks-Immersion.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

12 pages. loving hell. Never mind that there are multiple times in the story where your character is clearly just playing along to get poo poo done, but suddenly one individual incident is clearly forcing views on the player and ruining their immersion :psyduck:

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I know you guys reassured me that it's RNG and I just need to ride it out but this is now 8 hours of FATE grinding without a single drop, not including my habit of throwing a single dot into any ongoing FATEs i run past to get participation counted.

Is there ANYTHING I could possibly be doing to gently caress this up and make it not trigger the drops? Using a companion? Leaving the fate early to run to the next one? (when it's guaranteed to still complete). Does partying or solo affect it? Times of day, weather, loving anything? I'm pulling my hair out here, and I really don't feel like going back and trying any more because I'm sure I've tripped some kind of glitch or not fulfilled some requirement for getting it.

Link of my gear, if it helps at all.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nope, it's nothing but RNG. Now imagine the drop rates are one quarter what they are now.

Please Look Forward To Ittm.

E: Assuming that you've completed the quest Up In Arms, obviously.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010

Popehoist posted:

I know you guys reassured me that it's RNG and I just need to ride it out but this is now 8 hours of FATE grinding without a single drop, not including my habit of throwing a single dot into any ongoing FATEs i run past to get participation counted.

Is there ANYTHING I could possibly be doing to gently caress this up and make it not trigger the drops? Using a companion? Leaving the fate early to run to the next one? (when it's guaranteed to still complete). Does partying or solo affect it? Times of day, weather, loving anything? I'm pulling my hair out here, and I really don't feel like going back and trying any more because I'm sure I've tripped some kind of glitch or not fulfilled some requirement for getting it.

With a chocobo name like "Thunderfart", you should be getting atmas much faster because holy poo poo I'm still chuckling like a loving idiot.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Popehoist posted:

This might sound dumb and obvious, but are you sure you're in the right areas? I spent around an hour doing FATEs at zone with no Atma.
The right zones are in your journal, in the description for the Atma quest.

Waldean
Apr 27, 2005

Popehoist posted:

Did you do the initial Atma quest?

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

"Immersion" has to be the most overused buzzword in games discussion.

If there's a game breaking bug that causes you to fall through the world, that's a serious immersion issue. My anime avatar doesn't react to situations as I would is not.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Popehoist posted:

Is there something I'm missing about doing my Atma relics? I equipped my Zenith weapon and spent 2 hours in lower la noscea yesterday, and nothing. Spent 2 and a half hours in central thanalan today, still nothing. Some of my FC-mates say they got all their atmas in about 8 hours. Am I just getting hosed by the RNG really hard, or is it possible I'm doing something to make the atmas not drop? My inventory has space, btw.

This is going to sound like a dumb question, but you DID do the quest Up In Arms, right?

edit: lmao beaten like crazy but it's a good question!

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

Popehoist posted:

I'm gonna have to ask. Have you completed "Up In Arms", the quest which enables Atma dropping for you?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

CrashCat posted:

12 pages. loving hell. Never mind that there are multiple times in the story where your character is clearly just playing along to get poo poo done, but suddenly one individual incident is clearly forcing views on the player and ruining their immersion :psyduck:

Man even straight ladies would check out Miqo'te beauties, catgirls be pretty. This weirdo is just overly sensitive and quick to take offense.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Waldean posted:

Did you do the initial Atma quest?

This has to be it. I decided to do the Atma line on a whim a month or so back and it took me maybe 3-4 hours, total, to get every single Atma.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

More balanced relic weapon questlines lol. Did we forget that Hamlet Defense was a thing?

I was way too late to the 1.23 party to actually do them, but I wanted to so I was pretty familiar with the requirements.

Basically, in order to get a relic weapon you had to do an array of things, but most weren't too bad. A few high end regional guildleves, some dungeon speedruns, nothing particularly hard and mostly a whirlwind of what endgame content there was, but with the glaring exception of needing 3 seals from each of the 3 hamlets. Hamlets were the last thing patched into 1.x that were mostly designed by Tanaka, though it assuredly went through revisions in the months it took for Yoshi-p's team to implement. They were based on the Crafters and Gatherers are People Too philosophy of 1.0 (another weird thing that hosed poo poo up that people like to forget) so doing a hamlet was an 8 person party (iirc?) with a couple gatherers, a couple crafters, a paladin, a white mage, and some kind of DPS I think (I never did them I may be wrong on the party composition here).

Now this sounds cool on paper, a battle event that everyone can participate in! Except the way it worked made it super dumb and boring. Here's a guide to it to give you a little bit of an idea of what was involved: http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Hamlet_Defense

But you don't just like, show up and do these, no that'd be too drat easy. First of all, all the hamlets had a roughly 2 day preparation period, and a 1 day battle period. You could only challenge the hamlet in the battle period at any given time.

Remember you need 3 seals for each hamlet, and the event is a party of 8. In order for a hamlet seal to guarantee a drop, the first step is someone in your party needs to be one of the top 3 provisioners on the server during the preparation period; it is kind of like GC turnins but you get hamlet points or some poo poo and being in the top 3 required millions of gil worth of crafted garbage. The hamlet also has to hit an overall readiness level based on how many supplies were given, so you pretty much had to be racing with a couple other people to flush gil down the toilet to participate at all. You could go in with a top 20 provisioner it looks like but only top 3 allowed for guaranteed seal drops if I recall right.

One of the most important things you needed were some crafters with decent gear (they need to survive hits) who had bothered to level a couple of specific classes to at least 45, no small feat in 1.0 (GSM and ARM if I recall) as well as a couple of others to like 25 or something for abilities that gave you no-questions-asked progress. This is because Hamlet has an absolutely loving absurd scoring system where you get a ridiculous amount of points if your crafters are using level 1 broken tools to craft, so basically their job was to craft poo poo the gatherers get by mashing guaranteed progress abilities over and over. So exciting!

I never got to actually do it so I don't know how the other quirks in the hamlet scores played out but looking at my earlier link you had to use a bunch of emotes at the right time and poo poo and it was reported to be very grindy and boring. At best, you had to do it 72 times to get your entire static 3x3 seals.

So yeah just remember this next time some 1.0 purist cries about light farming or whatever.

Edit: for bonus fun, check out this still-live database of 1.23 items. Enjoy trying to figure out how the hell itemization worked, because I loving played 1.23 and it didn't make any goddamned sense: http://ffxiv.mozk-tabetai.com/

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 19, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
My static was unable to run yesterday, which would have been our second night of T13, so I hopped into T13 as a replacement melee with a different group. Saw the final arena transformation once, right as we were all dying! The adds phase isn't nearly as bad as I was expecting it to be. As a DRG, I enjoy killing a Blood that spawns with physical vuln. before it's ever able to switch to magic vuln. :getin:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Popehoist posted:

Make sure you're doing FATEs in a zone that actually has Atmas. Eastern La Noscea, Northern Thanalan, South Shroud, Coerthas, and Mor Dhona do NOT have Atmas. I spent about 3 hours in East LN before I realized my mistake.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
I have the "up in arms" quest in my completed quests section under side stories. The one that lists all the locations. That's the one I need done, right?

Fister Roboto posted:

Make sure you're doing FATEs in a zone that actually has Atmas. Eastern La Noscea, Northern Thanalan, South Shroud, Coerthas, and Mor Dhona do NOT have Atmas. I spent about 3 hours in East LN before I realized my mistake.

I've mostly been doing middle LN and costa del sol.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Popehoist posted:

I have the "up in arms" quest in my completed quests section under side stories. The one that lists all the locations. That's the one I need done, right?

That and having your Zenith equipped, yes.

Looks like you're just getting the poo poo end of a bell curve. RNG is, and all that. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

TooManyUzukis posted:

Have a talk with your DPS about gear/rotations, maybe asking you SCH to DPS as well if your WHM can pick up the slack for a bit. Your aim should be for getting only one set of Blackfires and 4 bennus. You can definitely clear with 5, but you'll need to be smart about timing your murder of the bennus in Phase 3 or you'll get burned to death. My static's first clear was when we finally pushed to 4 bennus.

We cleared on Friday for the first time with a DPS who had never stepped foot in the battle and me as a 111 warrior with a 110 axe because our usual tank was out with work. 2 blackfires and 5 Bennus is still very doable. We had one or two deaths on the final phase and still beat the enrage.

Ideally yes, 1 blackfire and four bennus is best, but it's hardly required to clear.

• Locked thread