Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
get the MGS HD collection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

General recommendations for PS3:
Get PS+ and just play whatever games are free each month for a year

Too bad PS+ hasn't been good since 2013

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

There were a bunch of good PS3 games but I can't remember any of them now. 3D dot game heroes was cool, play that. Demon Souls if you're not a gigantic baby like I am. Ratchet and Clank games are good.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
it would be quicker to name HD collections to stay away from, most are decent but avoid Silent Hill HD completely.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Adam Bowen posted:

uh... someone get this negative mother fucker out of here... mods?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adam Bowen posted:

ps3 got a lot of great games in just the past 6 months. more like a drat moron than adam bowen imo

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Adam Bowen posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about bowen

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

VideoGames posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about bowen
about you

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

oh.

then its doubly untrue because ive been fabulous for years and with no signs of slowing down

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I really like the idea of someone being a full generation of games behind and just getting a PS3 right now, you get a gigantic game library and everything is 5 bucks

i got one last xmas and its replaced my 360 at this point, and there have been enough exclusives that I've still been finding new stuff to play ridiculously cheaply. got TLOU and GT6 bundled in, then UC 3 for free with PS+, then other stuff like MGS4 and heavy rain were like £4 a pop used its amazing

Adam Bowen posted:

uhhh i just got duke 3d, ducktales, deadly premonition and the HD hitman trilogy the past two months alone, you're dumb as gently caress

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

General recommendations for PS3:
Get PS+ and just play whatever games are free each month for a year

agreed forever, ive already got more games for my ps3 than my 360 after a year and almost all of that is from PS+

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
God of war is prettycool

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Ahundredbux posted:

God of war is prettycool
Look at this scorching hot take

FlyingCowOfDoom
Aug 1, 2003

let the beat drop
You all have any game music from your formative gaming years that instantly takes you back? The original EverQuest opening music and the forest music in Super Mario RPG do it for me, if I hear those I am instantly transported back in my mind.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

You all have any game music from your formative gaming years that instantly takes you back? The original EverQuest opening music and the forest music in Super Mario RPG do it for me, if I hear those I am instantly transported back in my mind.

road rash for the genesis, the music from the old 2d duke nukems

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

DING!
The mighty mighty bosstones is what I used to listen to when I played quake. The Sega opening voice gets me as does any sonic music.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

Anything using the Adlib card or the old tracker music that a lot of Epic games used for a while.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt8q3uF66Js
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdVnKYcYi3g

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Stux posted:

i got one last xmas and its replaced my 360 at this point, and there have been enough exclusives that I've still been finding new stuff to play ridiculously cheaply. got TLOU and GT6 bundled in, then UC 3 for free with PS+, then other stuff like MGS4 and heavy rain were like £4 a pop used its amazing

uhhh i just got duke 3d, ducktales, deadly premonition and the HD hitman trilogy the past two months alone, you're dumb as gently caress

agreed forever, ive already got more games for my ps3 than my 360 after a year and almost all of that is from PS+

a really old game, a $15 remake of an old game, a poo poo game, and a trio of really old games. amazing

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

a really old game, a $15 remake of an old game, a poo poo game, and a trio of really old games. amazing

deadly premonition is the best game of last gen sorry you have idiot thoughts

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

I forgot that game is le wacky XD XD XD goon bait

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Adam Bowen posted:

I forgot that game is le wacky XD XD XD goon bait

no its more that its twin peaks: the game, which is awesome and so it is also awesome. its not borderlands or saints row or something

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

what is so great about twin peaks, whenever i hear about it peopel are either making fun of it or jizzing everywhere about how deep it is

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Excels posted:

what is so great about twin peaks, whenever i hear about it peopel are either making fun of it or jizzing everywhere about how deep it is

its an interesting show

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

FlyingCowOfDoom posted:

First few stages in Sonic 1 for sure

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Excels posted:

Like every show with a central mystery, it's making it all up as it goes along, but it manages to be pretty fun and interesting while doing it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Excels posted:

It was the first TV show to be good and Agent Cooper is sexy as hell

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a dark comedy soap opera. the first episode introduces every character and they all cry to the exact same melodramatic music.

then an fbi agent shows up and everything gets weird/cool until they reveal the murderer and then you may as well stop watching because the show is about 10 episodes too long.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

Everyone play some good games to celebrate MLK day :toot:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

its a dark comedy soap opera. the first episode introduces every character and they all cry to the exact same melodramatic music.

then an fbi agent shows up and everything gets weird/cool until they reveal the murderer and then you may as well stop watching because the show is about 10 episodes too long.

Don't stop watching because the ending is really good and hosed up even if the 10 or so episodes preceding it are pointless. Even when the show is at its worst it's still the weirdest poo poo ever on network TV and worth watching for that alone.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Adam Bowen posted:

Don't stop watching because the ending is really good and hosed up even if the 10 or so episodes preceding it are pointless. Even when the show is at its worst it's still the weirdest poo poo ever on network TV and worth watching for that alone.

sure but the whole series plus movies isn't for the casual fan.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Yeah but it's only 30 episodes total, it's not like asking someone to commit to watching all of Voyager just to enjoy a few episodes worth of Seven of Nine titties

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
The insanely boring option of c&c music

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Eye of Widesauron posted:

Everyone play some good games to celebrate MLK day :toot:

I have a dream where you gently caress off forever

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Excels posted:

drat good coffee.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The REAL Goobusters posted:

drat good coffee.

Also: drat good cherry pie.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I'll ask here because I'm phone-posting and that makes searching more difficult:

As I understand the series, Metroid Fusion is the last (chronologically) game, and all the other ones of late have been prequels and interquels taking place before Fusion.

What's the reason why they haven't made a proper sequel? A dislike of Fusion? The fact that Fusion alters how Samus looks? I'm not well versed in the series...

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

MisterBibs posted:

I'll ask here because I'm phone-posting and that makes searching more difficult:

As I understand the series, Metroid Fusion is the last (chronologically) game, and all the other ones of late have been prequels and interquels taking place before Fusion.

What's the reason why they haven't made a proper sequel? A dislike of Fusion? The fact that Fusion alters how Samus looks? I'm not well versed in the series...

Fusion turns samus into a hybrid genetic freak with an ugly costume that they'd have to retcon and also is tied thematically with other m, the true black sheep of the series through the character of adam so from a concept perspective its understandable why they haven't gone back to continue its story.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Metroid is only popular in the West so Nintendo doesn't deem the series popular enough to make more games.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

MisterBibs posted:

Sakamoto doesn't like that people prefer the Prime trilogy to any of his games, and even went so far as to retcon them entirely from the "official" timeline in Other M (which plays out like Prime games never happened). He was also having a hard time accepting that his personal view of Samus' character did not line up with the majority, and got supremely asspained about it.

Needless to say Sakamoto is not in charge of Samus anymore, and Nintendo has assured people future titles will stick to the 2D and Prime formula in the future.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

to be honest though i am seeing a trend lately, where big-name directors will admit the "official chronology" of their series is simply too big to remain consistent. i think kojima outright stated recently that any future MGS games would probably be inconsistent with "the lore" of the series because he doesn't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Excels posted:

to be honest though i am seeing a trend lately, where big-name directors will admit the "official chronology" of their series is simply too big to remain consistent. i think kojima outright stated recently that any future MGS games would probably be inconsistent with "the lore" of the series because he doesn't care.
makes sense when you consider that the first MGS was supposed to be a reboot as if the previous two games never happened

• Locked thread