Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Reaper's Gale, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Reaper's Gale, actually.

She is not as fun in that one compared to the 2 last though.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'll take your word for it, never been a fan of her myself. While MT is probably my favorite book in the series, Shurq and Ublala are two people it could do without.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

anilEhilated posted:

I'll take your word for it, never been a fan of her myself. While MT is probably my favorite book in the series, Shurq and Ublala are two people it could do without.

Do without Ublala? Blasphemer!

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I like Ublala, but Shurq is just creepy.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008
I´m very slowly making progress reading through the series. I´m like a quarter through Memories of Ice now and I´m already looking forward to reading the Bauchelain and Korbal Broach novellas.
I´m also really missing Kruppe. I guess he´ll show up in MoI sooner or later?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, surprised you haven't run into him already.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Ynglaur posted:

I like Ublala, but Shurq is just creepy.

From another perspective, one could argue that Ublala is forced to have sex against his will with both Shurq as well as the 3 natives in MT.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Ublala wasn't forced to have sex with anyone. Shand, Rissarh and Hejun came onto him, Ublala replied favorably but found that their interest was only skin deep. They more or less took turns with him for sex but never bothered to spend time with him outside that or get to know him as a person, all of which was quite troubling and upsetting for a sensitive soul like Ublala. They certainly refused to leave off groping and pursuing him even after their treatment hurt his feelings, which is why he spent so much time hiding out in Tehol's building. From his first interaction with Shurq their relationship played out far differently. She didn't just pull him into a dark alley once she got a look at his Tarthenal warclub. In that first conversation on Tehol's roof she started rebuilding his confidence with those dares to jump quietly from roof to roof with her, and took him out on a fun date to rob Gerun Eberict. From what the reader sees of that night they didn't even have sex after or as part of that outing, Shurq feeds the ootooloo with help from Eberict's gardener after all.

Ublala is a kind, sensitive young Tarthenal half-blood, and the respect with which Shurq treats his emotions is nothing short of charming, though I find all her Midnight Tides scenes charming.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Iskaral Pust's mule - soletaken, familiar, god, mary-sue of SE??

It's pissing me off.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Biggest mystery of the of the Malazan universe. I'm not even kidding.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I'm hoping for D'Ivers donkeys. It would explain quite a bit.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
I wonder what sort of fan fiction Shurq has launched

Maybe I don't want to know.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
You know that hole in her skull? :getin:

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zeitgueist posted:

I wonder what sort of fan fiction Shurq has launched

Maybe I don't want to know.

You mean you don't want to find out just how many variations of sex-assassin attire exist?

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
Thanks thread for reminding me of the fake vagina creature.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Hand Row posted:

Thanks thread for reminding me of the fake vagina creature.

It's actually more of a fake ... uh, you know what, never mind.

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp
She already hits so many disparate kinks that I imagine writers have to go in the opposite direction where she becomes like a suburban housewife and has missionary sex with a high school sweetheart.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

Biggest mystery of the of the Malazan universe. I'm not even kidding.

The duelling scene in TtH between Kruppe and Pust is just amazing.
Two knights in shining armour on mighty horses duelling one another.
Oh, wait....

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Does anyone have a link for information on the tabletop campaign that came before the novels? Or does anyone here know much about it? I've always wanted to know the details--what system they used, how long it ran, which characters were player characters, etc.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
It's really scattered around the various interviews - IIRC, it was GURPS, they ran it on archeological digs or something. For characters, I remember ICE being Kellanved and SE Dancer; guaranteed to be more, though.
fakeedit: One of them was Rhulad, too.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 17, 2015

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
What loving lunatic rates anyone above Tehol & Bugg? They're the Calvin & Hobbes of the Malazan universe.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

It's really scattered around the various interviews - IIRC, it was GURPS, they ran it on archeological digs or something. For characters, I remember ICE being Kellanved and SE Dancer; guaranteed to be more, though.
fakeedit: One of them was Rhulad, too.

Yeah, it was GURPS and it makes sense given how the characters work. A lot of games try to balance the party, so you'l have fighters that are good at one thing and wizards that are good at a lot of things (but not at taking a hit). GURPS tends to evaluate character strength by narrative control, so a 500 point warrior is a real badass and a 500 point wizard can do some good magic.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Crokus's first meeting with Challice was so :3:

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

NovemberMike posted:

Yeah, it was GURPS and it makes sense given how the characters work. A lot of games try to balance the party, so you'l have fighters that are good at one thing and wizards that are good at a lot of things (but not at taking a hit). GURPS tends to evaluate character strength by narrative control, so a 500 point warrior is a real badass and a 500 point wizard can do some good magic.

Also I'm pretty sure neither SE or ICE played Karsa. He was played by some guy in their group.

Rabbi Tupac fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 20, 2015

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Was Kruppe somebody's GURPS character?

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

zeal posted:

Kruppe is the GM.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

zeal posted:

Kruppe is the dice in whatever RPG Erikson & ICE played.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Have they ever said which characters they used in the game and which are book only? How the hell did he even write decent books based off some rpg

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Tehol and Bugg are the best. Kruppe is a close second.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

So I finished of FoD for the second time, in preparation for third reread of DoD and TCG and since I wanted more stuff on the Shake.

Hypotheses:

Draconus has issues.
Gothos still rules.

So the Hust legion will resurrect in some way, and we know that since Rake sent them into Emurlahn to fight dragons as a side episode in DoD/TCG.

Will Dragnipur be forged in the Kharkanas series? Envy seems to young yet to get involved with Rake, which we know will happen before Rake faces Draconus. We also know that Rake when he won the civil war only had drunk Eleint blood, since he is described with claws by Endest Silann in TtH. If Dragnipur was present then, it should have been seen. We also know that Draconus manages to slay a number of demons and dragons before Rake takes over. Who slays Kadaspala by the way?

T'riss/Queen of Dreams went into the Vitr/Chaos, and it should be safely assumed that the second one should be Tiam, that will make an appearance soon and literally gently caress around with the Tiste.

There is a High King mentioned in FoD, and I wonder whether that is Kallor already?

Who was the Azathanai Old Man?

Also, Edur should be all those Tiste that got caught between the Liosan and Andi and will be a third part in the conflict? Scara Bandaris, Sheltatha Lore, Menandore and Sukhul Ankhadu all turn Ascendant in the struggle, and should play a major part somehow. Or maybe they just are those Soletaken that survives the battles.

K'Chain Che Malle should also make an appearance, due to what we know of the Shake and the start of Midnight Tides.

Forulkan are obviously Forkrul Assail, and it is mentioned in TCG that they have sacrificed their god, which should then be Grizzin Farl? He doesn't make an appearance in the main series (which admittedly not all Azathanai does anyways).

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Cardiac posted:

So I finished of FoD for the second time, in preparation for third reread of DoD and TCG and since I wanted more stuff on the Shake.

Hypotheses:
Will Dragnipur be forged in the Kharkanas series?

There is a High King mentioned in FoD, and I wonder whether that is Kallor already?

On my phone so I'll keep the scope narrow:

Pretty sure the High King they refer to is Kallor, and while it's possible we'll see the forging of Dragnipur in the series, said forging isn't finished until some point after Kallor is cursed by the divine triumvirate, which follows the bringing down of TCG. So there would probably need to be some time skipping going on for us to see Dragnipur actually forged - but I bet we at least see the beginning of said forging.

Why do you think it's safe to assume Tiam will be the next out of the Vitr, following T'ris?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Habibi, my understanding of the timeline is that - your first point - he has already started doing that thing.

Baudin
Dec 31, 2009
There have been a few differences in the chronology already in FoD from the remembrances of characters in the Malazan series. I'm fairly confident Dragnipur has already been started.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Habibi posted:

On my phone so I'll keep the scope narrow:

Pretty sure the High King they refer to is Kallor, and while it's possible we'll see the forging of Dragnipur in the series, said forging isn't finished until some point after Kallor is cursed by the divine triumvirate, which follows the bringing down of TCG. So there would probably need to be some time skipping going on for us to see Dragnipur actually forged - but I bet we at least see the beginning of said forging.

Why do you think it's safe to assume Tiam will be the next out of the Vitr, following T'ris?

Yeah, Kallor is the only one known as High King, but he can't be an Azathanai. It doesn't seem likely, and timeline-wise I have always seen him as later than the Tiste.

As for Dragnipur, it seems too early, but not impossible.

As for Tiam, Grizzin Farl says 2 Azathanai went to explore the Vitr and one is T'riss.
Tiam is the Mother of Dragons, and dragons are supposed to be close to Chaos. We also see 9 dragons break free of the Vitr at the end of FoD.
We also know that a lot of Tiste will become Soletaken by some form of interaction with Tiam, probably sex, and that dragons will play a part in what happens.
There also seems to be a difference in how Tiste become dragons, since Rake and Korlat/Orfantal are on different power levels.
It all seems to point to Tiam being a part of this, and she has never made an appearance in any of the books.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Finally doing the Malazan Re-Read Of The Fallen, just finished GOTM, quick Q:

Who saves Crokus and Apsalar from Serrat in K'Rul's belfry? Is it a Crimson Guard? (he mentions the Prince, which I assume is Kazz D'Avore)

Is this revealed anywhere or in the ICE books?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Doesn't Tiam show up whenever you get enough dragons in one place?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Cardiac posted:

Yeah, Kallor is the only one known as High King, but he can't be an Azathanai. It doesn't seem likely, and timeline-wise I have always seen him as later than the Tiste.

As for Dragnipur, it seems too early, but not impossible.

As for Tiam, Grizzin Farl says 2 Azathanai went to explore the Vitr and one is T'riss.
Tiam is the Mother of Dragons, and dragons are supposed to be close to Chaos. We also see 9 dragons break free of the Vitr at the end of FoD.
We also know that a lot of Tiste will become Soletaken by some form of interaction with Tiam, probably sex, and that dragons will play a part in what happens.
There also seems to be a difference in how Tiste become dragons, since Rake and Korlat/Orfantal are on different power levels.
It all seems to point to Tiam being a part of this, and she has never made an appearance in any of the books.

The Soletaken Tiste supposedly drank the blood of T'iam, and Rake drank first and deepest. Vitr is too close to vitae, i.e. blood, to be a coincidence that the Dragons came from there, and drinking Dragon blood turned a bunch of Tiste into Dragons.

If we're going to speculate, I'm speculating that T'iam is a place/thing and not a living being. Maybe it's what they call the gate to Chaos. But regardless, nobody seems to want to let Chaos run around unchecked, so maybe the Soletaken Tiste drank T'iam's blood (whatever that actually is) to bottle it up, and the Dragon abilities are a side-effect, rather than the main purpose. That fits with the mopey melancholy burden attitude the Andii have better, I think.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

rejutka posted:

Habibi, my understanding of the timeline is that - your first point - he has already started doing that thing.

Baudin posted:

There have been a few differences in the chronology already in FoD from the remembrances of characters in the Malazan series. I'm fairly confident Dragnipur has already been started.

It's possible, but was it alluded to in FoD (it's been over a year since I've read it)? Because going by the various conversations between Draconus, Paran, Nightchill, etc... in the main series, Dragnipur was forged for the [misjudged] purpose of keeping the Gate of Darkness out of Chaos' grasp. And since said Gate did not exist until Draconus gifted it to Mother Dark towards the end of Forge, I infer from that that it's unlikely the forging of Dragnipur has begun quite yet.

Cardiac posted:

Kallor is human for all intents and purposes, but IIRC (though I don't have a reference) was into his life-extending alchemies even before the curse made him immortal. Given that said curse was leveled before Dragnipur was completed, and hence before the culmination of the conflict between Rake/Draconus (a conflict that, at least from my impression, preceded the mass exodus of the Tiste from their newly created realms back into the world, as Draconus has no appearance or mention in the flashbacks to that time), it probably is exactly him.

quote:

She made a partial appearance in TCG, didn't she? Beginning to manifest as an enormous dragon? Been a while. And IIRC, didn't at least one dragon also break out of the Vitr at the beginning of Forge, except it was melted by the Vitr like most creatures?

The power level difference between Rake and the other Tiste soletaken is most likely a factor of Rake being the the First Son of Darkness rather than the mechanism by which they attained their dragon abilities. No one can quite throw around pure Kurald Galain like him, either (I also don't think any other dragon is shown even being able to breath KG - including Silchas Ruin).

All of that said, the mechanism does remain a mystery. Although a few allusions are made to mating, I thought most references to drinking Tiam's blood and gaining her powers have to do with killing her (after which she is reborn).

Infinite Karma posted:

The Soletaken Tiste supposedly drank the blood of T'iam, and Rake drank first and deepest. Vitr is too close to vitae, i.e. blood, to be a coincidence that the Dragons came from there, and drinking Dragon blood turned a bunch of Tiste into Dragons.

If we're going to speculate, I'm speculating that T'iam is a place/thing and not a living being. Maybe it's what they call the gate to Chaos. But regardless, nobody seems to want to let Chaos run around unchecked, so maybe the Soletaken Tiste drank T'iam's blood (whatever that actually is) to bottle it up, and the Dragon abilities are a side-effect, rather than the main purpose. That fits with the mopey melancholy burden attitude the Andii have better, I think.

Rake drank first, but IIRC Silchas Ruin actually drank deepest. T'iam is referenced as a living entity throughout the main series, so I don't know that place/thing makes sense. It's possible the Vitr has something to do with dragons, but didn't dragons come from their own warren (Starvald Demelain)? Chaos exists between the warrens, though, so it's possible the Vitr contained the original gate to Chaos / Starvald Demelain or something to that effect. I don't think the Tiste and other draconean soletaken (Draconus, his daughters, Olar Ethil, and so on...) drank her blood for anything but the power it granted. And the melancholy nature of the Andii has to do with their indefinite lives, lack of purpose, abandonment by their deity, not anything to do with dragons.

Loving Life Partner posted:

Finally doing the Malazan Re-Read Of The Fallen, just finished GOTM, quick Q:

Who saves Crokus and Apsalar from Serrat in K'Rul's belfry? Is it a Crimson Guard? (he mentions the Prince, which I assume is Kazz D'Avore)

Is this revealed anywhere or in the ICE books?
Yes to both.

Actually, I thought the identity of said Crimson Guard was revealed within GOTM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Pretty sure in MoI Draconus observed that he had been forging a sword since before Dark.