Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

colonel_korn posted:

Fight you are a bad

e: lol at the guy bouncing up and down as 30-25 and 30-26 scores against him are announced.

Then he limps out of the arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

In other news, Gabi Garcia is apparently trying to get down in weight for her MMA debut in March, which will apparently be at women's middleweight (does this even exist?)

:stare:

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

colonel_korn posted:

In other news, Gabi Garcia is apparently trying to get down in weight for her MMA debut in March, which will apparently be at women's middleweight (does this even exist?)

:stare:

Not really. Maybe she can go to Japan and see if Deep/Jewels is still doing openweight fights. Or just fight George Lucas' daughter

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

LobsterMobster posted:

Not really. Maybe she can go to Japan and see if Deep/Jewels is still doing openweight fights. Or just fight George Lucas' daughter

Well apparently she's signed to Jungle Fights but no indication on who she might fight.
She was supposed to make her debut in Japan last year but backed out when she found out they wanted her to fight Megumi Yabushita, who's 42 and 135 lbs.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
poodles are smart lazy dogs so i can only assume that lady is cool for owning one. that's my take away from that photo

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

colonel_korn posted:

She was supposed to make her debut in Japan last year but backed out when she found out they wanted her to fight Megumi Yabushita, who's 42 and 135 lbs.

Jesus Christ. That's like she signed up to do MMA and they tried to get her to play the villain in a televised snuff movie.

edit:
God, if I found the right Megumi Yabushita, she's even 19-22 on top of everything. They wanted her to murder an elderly Japanese can fighting up four entire weight classes.

Schenck v. U.S. fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jan 18, 2015

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Reminder that in a few minutes, JAKE SHIELDS will be fighting the guy the UFC cut for having a brain hemorrhage and a burst testicle

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

LobsterMobster posted:

Reminder that in a few minutes, JAKE SHIELDS will be fighting the guy the UFC cut for having a brain hemorrhage and a burst testicle

Burst testicle? I must know more.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

Burst testicle? I must know more.

Accidental nut shot during training

He was out basically a year to recover from everything, so the cut looks super lovely.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Well that's a thing.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
...somebody make some noise?

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

JAKE SHIELDS

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

JAKE FUCKIN SHIELDS

EMBRACE THE AISH

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

LobsterMobster posted:

JAKE FUCKIN SHIELDS

EMBRACE THE AISH

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Once on the ground it was all over.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

has earned the privilege of getting his leg ripped off by a man with the mental capacity of a child.

Sprecherscrow
Dec 20, 2009
Shields vs. Palhares is actually very interesting. No idea who takes it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Sprecherscrow posted:

I expect a good performance from Shields because they'll shoot him if he loses.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I think the key to Shields being successful against Palhares will be grappling aggressively and actually trying to put him on his back. Having good TD defense is kind of meaningless against Palhares because he's perfectly happy to shoot and then just fall back to guard and snag a leg if the takedown gets stuffed. Whereas if Shields shoots on him and takes him down, his options are a lot more limited. Like he probably has a decent armbar off his back but it's not nearly as dangerous as the leg attacks.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

colonel_korn posted:

I think the key to Shields being successful against Palhares will be grappling aggressively and actually trying to put him on his back. Having good TD defense is kind of meaningless against Palhares because he's perfectly happy to shoot and then just fall back to guard and snag a leg if the takedown gets stuffed. Whereas if Shields shoots on him and takes him down, his options are a lot more limited. Like he probably has a decent armbar off his back but it's not nearly as dangerous as the leg attacks.

Just do what Belcher did

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Sprecherscrow posted:

I'm legitimately excited to see that. My guess is that Palhares's power and strength will allow him to take control initially, but if Shields can survive he's an amazing scrambler and he's really stifling from the top. The guy went to the mat with Demian Maia and plain shut him down. Palhares tends to fold mentally if he can't destroy a knee right away, so I can see Shields surviving, working his way to the top, and either riding Palhares out or even submitting him if he gasses/gives up hard enough.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

If Shields/Palhares fought like next week, I'd put money on Shields, dude is legit and got cut for bullshit reasons + Palhares is a way more "flawed" fighter imo

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Palhares is going to cripple him most likely

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Palhares is dangerous until he gets punched, the most satisfying moment of Marquardt's career is when he escaped a leg lock, Palhares immediately went to complain to the ref about cheating, then Marquardt punched him a lot to a stoppage.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
i am incredibly nervous about that fight

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

1st AD posted:

Palhares is dangerous until he gets punched, the most satisfying moment of Marquardt's career is when he escaped a leg lock, Palhares immediately went to complain to the ref about cheating, then Marquardt punched him a lot to a stoppage.

I liked Maia trying to stand with Nate and getting punched into orbit better.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

1st AD posted:

Palhares is dangerous until he gets punched

On the other hand, AISH!

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Brazilian organization XFC started this year by cutting 15 fighters including two champions

Deivison Ribeiro (FW champ), Pearl Gonzalez (FlyW champ), Ryan Thomas, Eric Reynolds, Cortey Casey, Andrea Lee, Stephanie Skinner, Angelica Chavez, Andy Nguyen, Dave Courchaine, Daniel Swain, Jeremy Severn, Stephen Bass, Ladarious Jackson and Dejuan Hathaway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TheCool69 posted:

Brazilian organization XFC started this year by cutting 15 fighters including two champions

Deivison Ribeiro (FW champ), Pearl Gonzalez (FlyW champ), Ryan Thomas, Eric Reynolds, Cortey Casey, Andrea Lee, Stephanie Skinner, Angelica Chavez, Andy Nguyen, Dave Courchaine, Daniel Swain, Jeremy Severn, Stephen Bass, Ladarious Jackson and Dejuan Hathaway.

If that's Andrea "KGB" Lee, maybe these cuts aren't all dead-weight cuts, but rather releasing fighters so they can move on to other stages.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/Ben-Askren-to-Defend-One-FC-Welterweight-Title-Against-Luis-Sapo-Santos-in-April-80529

quote:

Ben Askren is set to defend his One Fighting Championship welterweight belt against Luis Santos at an as-yet-unannounced event in April.

Sources close to the bout confirmed the news to Sherdog.com on Monday. The card will take place in Manila, Philippines, although the date has yet to be officially announced.

Askren, 30, has competed twice for One FC since departing Bellator MMA. “Funky” defeated Bakhtiyar Abbasov via arm-triangle choke at One FC 16 “Honor and Glory” before finishing Nobutatsu Suzuki at One FC 19 “Reign of Champions” and laying claim to the title. The Roufusport standout has yet to taste defeat in his mixed martial arts career.

Santos, 35, has 71 professional fights under his belt since 2000. Also a Bellator veteran, “Sapo” lost consecutively to Ben Saunders and Ryan Ford before going on a seven-fight tear -- winning six via first-round finish -- and earning his shot against Askren. Most recently, Santos defeated Abbasov in his One FC debut.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

quote:

Scott Coker went to Japan late last month in part because of one man: Fedor Emelianenko.

The Bellator MMA president was in attendance at the Inoki Bom-Ba-Ye show in Tokyo on New Year's Eve knowing the potential of speaking to Emelianenko about returning to the United States to fight for his organization. Coker didn't get the answer he was hoping for.

"He's made it very clear he doesn't want to fight right now," Coker said Friday night after Bellator 132 in Temecula, Calif. "He didn't say he never wants to fight. He just said right now."

Emelienenko did leave the door open, as Coker said. And Bellator would obviously be interested. The Russian legend fought for Coker under the Strikeforce banner and the two have a good relationship. Coker said his visit with Emelianenko was more of the social variety anyway. Emelianenko had his wife and kids with him at the event.

"We caught up," Coker said.

Coker said Emelianenko is very busy with his job as the ministry of sport in Russia. Basically, Fedor is running the country's MMA program for youths. Though he is just 38 years old, Emelianenko doesn't have current designs to return to the cage.

In late November 2012, UFC president Dana White has said that Emelianenko and the UFC were in deep negotiations about a fight between him and Brock Lesnar at Cowboys Stadium in Dallas. But the entire thing fell through when Emelianenko's father died. He has not expressed a desire to come back since then.

Emelianenko (34-4, 1 NC) is regarded as one of the greatest ever in MMA -- and perhaps the best heavyweight of all time. He is a former PRIDE heavyweight champion and did not lose a fight between 2001 and 2009, a stretch of 28 consecutive victories.

Fabricio Werdum broke Emelianenko's decade-long winning streak when he submitted him with a triangle choke in 2010 in Strikeforce. Emelianenko lost two in a row after that and departed the organization. The soft-spoken Russian closed his career with three straight wins against Jeff Monson, Satoshi Ishii and Pedro Rizzo with the latter coming in June 2012.

Or did he close his career? Coker would not entirely rule out a potential return for "The Last Emperor."

"You never know," Coker said.

Oh Scott Coker, never change

Bushmeister
Nov 27, 2007
Son Of Northern Frostbitten Wintermoon

I had to go check Fedor's record because I apparently forgot that the Bigfoot mauling ever happened and noticed this hilarious piece of sour grapes. Wikipedia's MMA community is great.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
Dave Herman got arrested after a police chase.

http://mmajunkie.com/2015/01/ufc-and-bellator-vet-dave-herman-arrested-after-police-chase?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

quote:

According to an incident report issued by the Dekalb County Sheriff Department, Herman was speeding on I-69 with no headlights or taillights on. When officers attempted to pull him over, Herman initially refused to pull over before finally stopping at a gas station, the report states.

According to the report: “David exited his vehicle and approached Officers in an aggressive manner. David was given multiple warnings to get on the ground and failed to comply. David had to be tased in order to be taken into custody. An infant and adult female were also present in the vehicle.”

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Heh, sweet.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Dave Herman Owns.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Herman could have been saved had he been pushed into rehab

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

King Mo vs Cheick Kongo on feb 27th lol

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
apparently Thompson turned down the fight

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

TheCool69 posted:

apparently Thompson turned down the fight

Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freud mayweather
Jan 29, 2009

Yuriy posted:

King Mo vs Cheick Kongo on feb 27th lol

I sure would love to see the fallout if Kongo manages to land cleanly on Mo.