Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

nielsm posted:

There is no such thing as a "position profile", but there are the margins in styles. Those definitely control the distance from picture edge to the text, letting you (somewhat indirectly) position things.
You were right, it seems that margins in the style manager was the way to go. I just was trying to change it by too small of an increment; needed to make much larger changes. But thanks again for the assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Anyone have a recommendation for an SD recorder that actually deals with the weird, non-4:3 ratios that a lot of older games tend to use?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I assume you mean stuff like 240p and whatever the PS2 happens to be able to output?

Or are you talking about the anamorph 720x480? Cause everything should handle that correctly.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
It's a PS1-era game which does the "gameplay is at a different resolution from FMVs and menus and whatnot" thing.

I've got a Happauge USB2 which can grab the system's BIOS and the game's FMVs, but it completely shits out on the actual gameplay.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Analog TV signals have the great advantage that they always run at the same number of lines and scan frequencies. Regardless of what the game and console does for storage and rendering resolution of gameplay, FMVs etc an analog US NTSC signal will always be the same. Digitized it becomes 720x480 pixel 59.94 hz and you can then process it from there.
A really good grabber might then be able to let you control the horizontal sample rate which might improve quality somewhat if the console outputs at an uncommon rate too, but the number of lines is fixed.

Can you post a sample of what you mean by it crapping out?

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

Just a blank screen.

I can set it to "unknown" mode instead of NTSC and get some beautifully-scrambled video, but then it won't let me record, saying that it's copy-protected.

Which is pretty weird for an S-Video connection.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Sounds like Macrovision or something. No idea why a game would produce a signal with that.

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum

nielsm posted:

Analog TV signals have the great advantage that they always run at the same number of lines and scan frequencies. Regardless of what the game and console does for storage and rendering resolution of gameplay, FMVs etc an analog US NTSC signal will always be the same.
You'd think that, but in reality, the signal output by older consoles tends to be just slightly off.

Having tried recording a PS2 playing a PS1 game via component cables hooked to an AverMedia card, I can tell you it only worked like half the time.

Sadly I don't have a solution other than "emulation." It turns out "240p" is a real thing that doesn't quite work with capture devices.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

It does the same thing when I take down the Saturn and test it with Mario 64, so I'm pretty confident that it's just a problem with the capture device.

EDIT: Problem with emulation is that very few people seem to want to make a working Saturn emulator.

Accursed Walrus
Sep 4, 2011

Do The Mario
Edit: Ignore this post, solved itself.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!
So I want to do a live session for one of my videos and I was planning on using Skype's screen sharing feature to show the video to the commentators. Can someone let me know what kind of up/down speeds I would need to make this feasible?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GMArcturus posted:

So I want to do a live session for one of my videos and I was planning on using Skype's screen sharing feature to show the video to the commentators. Can someone let me know what kind of up/down speeds I would need to make this feasible?

Why not just give it a shot? Faerie Fortune does that with me and other co-commentators for Ocarina of Time and we usually don't have too much trouble with it as long as the internet connection's stable. For the record, she's in England while her co-commentators so far are all US-based.

ArctheNomad
Dec 30, 2012

Did you ever beat Canary Mary? No! I haven't even PLAYED Bioshock Infinite!

ChaosArgate posted:

Why not just give it a shot? Faerie Fortune does that with me and other co-commentators for Ocarina of Time and we usually don't have too much trouble with it as long as the internet connection's stable. For the record, she's in England while her co-commentators so far are all US-based.

I'm also wondering if it is viable because I am recording from a console with my Hauppauge instead of the way that Faerie Fortune is getting her recordings. This would mean my co-commentators would be getting the video from the recorders screen which still has a small delay. I'm just curious if that would make any difference.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
You could always just use something like hitbox. Your guests would most likely only be behind by a few seconds which is most likely what they would get with Skype. Just don't use twitch because that has horrible lag for what you are looking for.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008

nendymion posted:

You could always just use something like hitbox. Your guests would most likely only be behind by a few seconds which is most likely what they would get with Skype. Just don't use twitch because that has horrible lag for what you are looking for.

The added benefit is that they also get sound if they want it.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
Does anyone have any experience with Blender for video editing and encoding? I've been having reasonable success with it but I've run into a bizarre problem when I'm exporting my final product. There won't be any technical issues with quality or anything, but the video length of the exported clip is over 13 hours in length, with the video simply repeating over and over. It's more than a little bit irritating and I can't really think of why this has started happening after a period of perfectly functional encoding. I'm looking in to alternative programs to use, but if nothing else for my own curiosity I was wondering if anyone could maybe shed some light on this.

This is a screencap of the exportation settings I'm using, if it helps: http://i.imgur.com/wKA2cGV.png

Mesothelioma
Jan 6, 2009

Your favorite mineral related cancer!
I have a Black Magic Intenisty Pro should I be using the default software provided for recording video? Also, what codec should I be recording with? I'd like to capture in 60fps and these huge file sizes are going to the death of me.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib
I'm not one to normally ask for tech advice, as I like to think I can research well enough to find answers. But I'm running into a situation here that I hope someone has some experience with to help a fella out.

I occasionally stream gameplay from the "share" function via PS4, normally on high quality. Checking my upload speed netted me 16 Mbps so I am doubting that's an issue off the jump (I am using a Powerline Ethernet connection, FYI, and the only change is that I installed a 2TB hard drive in the console).

The problem is even when I lower the quality of my broadcast, it still lags and buffers on my fiancé's connection which is roughly 15-20 Mbps download. Other streams on Twitch and other streaming services like Netflix, YouTube and such have no buffer whatsoever on that end.

Research has given me no solid answers; the most I've gotten as even a theory is that Twitch itself buffers and lags streams of non-partnered and low viewer count channels. Having seen this issue a few times when watching a friend of mine stream, it does lend credence to the theory. I'm trying to narrow down whether it's the PS4 hardware, Twitch servers, or if my upload still isn't fast enough.

Going via capture card is not an option as my lone computer is a netbook...not powerful enough to stream anything on it. Upgrading my computer is also highly unlikely at the moment.

Any ideas here?

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
To answer your question about twitch lag. Yes it is their servers. There is an intentional lag up to 30 seconds that they have put in place. It was mainly put there to prevent screen looking on dota. Which in itself is a stupid reason to force mandatory lag on everyone.

As for the buffering, it may be that the computer that's viewing the stream isn't powerful enough to handle an HD stream. Some viewers will actually have the stream stutter and buffer a whole lot if their system can't handle it along with it taking a good chunk of their bandwith for those who don't have good internet.

There's no documentation that I can find at the moment explaining what the quality settings stand for so I can't make a recommendation to you.
Hopefully this helps.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
I have a question semi-related to LPing. Is there any way for me to stream my gameplay just to one person without having to use Twitch or something else? The main concern is delay.

I've seen some videos like the Slowbeef & Woolie play Alien Soldier video where it's two people in different countries, the game is being played live and there's no 4 second delay.

Kaptain K fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jan 25, 2015

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaptain K posted:

I have a question semi-related to LPing. Is there any way for me to stream my gameplay just to one person without having to use Twitch or something else? The main concern is delay.

I've seen some videos like the Slowbeef & Woolie play Alien Soldier video where it's two people in different countries, the game is being played live and there's no 4 second delay.

You can use Skype Screen Share combined with Voicemeeter or VAC to stream with little lag. Hitbox and Instagib are also two streaming services with less delay than Twitch.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

You can use Skype Screen Share combined with Voicemeeter or VAC to stream with little lag. Hitbox and Instagib are also two streaming services with less delay than Twitch.
I've tried Skype and the loss of video quality kinda makes it unusable (unless there's a way to get around that I don't know about).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Kaptain K posted:

I've tried Skype and the loss of video quality kinda makes it unusable (unless there's a way to get around that I don't know about).

Do you need it to be really high quality though? I mean as long as the other party can see it, you shouldn't need to worry.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

Do you need it to be really high quality though? I mean as long as the other party can see it, you shouldn't need to worry.
Well I have ambitions of streaming modern PC games; it's not quite the same viewing experience without all the graphical bells and whistles and some games are no fun to watch if they're not 60fps.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

If you're doing commentary, you don't need to stream in 1080p60fps. It detracts from the initial viewing experience, sure, but they can always watch the final video if they really need to see the ultra high quality footage. Streaming such high quality footage is very demanding on bandwidth so you might be gimping their video quality more than a low quality stream by forcing such a huge thing into their network. Alternatively, if you absolutely need them to see it in high quality, just do your commentary in post and send your co-commentators a 1080p60 encode of your video to talk over.

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

If you're doing commentary, you don't need to stream in 1080p60fps. It detracts from the initial viewing experience, sure, but they can always watch the final video if they really need to see the ultra high quality footage. Streaming such high quality footage is very demanding on bandwidth so you might be gimping their video quality more than a low quality stream by forcing such a huge thing into their network. Alternatively, if you absolutely need them to see it in high quality, just do your commentary in post and send your co-commentators a 1080p60 encode of your video to talk over.
I'm not actually trying to put together an LP, like I said the problem I have is only tangentially related - I just figured LPers would be have the answers I need. I really just want to stream for fun, the same fun of someone watching you play a game in person except not. I know my expectations are probably too high but I have to at least ask.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

nendymion posted:

To answer your question about twitch lag. Yes it is their servers. There is an intentional lag up to 30 seconds that they have put in place. It was mainly put there to prevent screen looking on dota. Which in itself is a stupid reason to force mandatory lag on everyone.
:psypop: Lag is consequence of switching internal processing from RTMP to HLS. Stream cheating in games is avoided by just setting a manual delay on stream.

ShadowedFlames posted:

I occasionally stream gameplay from the "share" function via PS4, normally on high quality.

You may want to stream on medium. Also what nendymion said, about bad computers. Moreover, "15-20" roughly is fairly vague measure, and their connection to Twitch may or may not be the same speed (and same for you, by the way).

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Kaptain K posted:

Steam recently put the Sharing feature into general availability. It allows you to use Steam to stream your games, and you can choose who can get to watch it: Friends on request, freinds always, anyone always.

I haven't actually tried it, don't know how well it works.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib

kalstrams posted:

You may want to stream on medium. Also what nendymion said, about bad computers. Moreover, "15-20" roughly is fairly vague measure, and their connection to Twitch may or may not be the same speed (and same for you, by the way).

That's the sort of thing I was looking for. Thank you; I'll see if that works next time.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If you want to stream without a bad delay just use Hitbox. It can be a bit glitchy but the delay's only 5-10 seconds, as opposed to Twitch's 30+.

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Fallen Rib
I don't mind the thirty second delay; since I'm really only streaming to spend time online with my fiancé when I can't be up there the delay isn't a priority. It's the buffering that irks me, especially when he misses a full minute or so due to the buffer.

Also, my only options presently are Twitch and Ustream since I can only use the innate PS4 functions.

Touchfuzzy
Dec 5, 2010
So I haven't really been keeping up on codecs lately; has anybody heard or seen any new codecs pop up/being worked on, or is it still Fraps/Lagarith/UT-Video?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I recently upgraded my monitor to a 2560x1440 without realizing it would not work with my Avermedia Live Gamer HD. Is there a <100$ solution to this problem? If not, what is the best software to capture this stream?

Xenoveritas
May 9, 2010
Dinosaur Gum
Set the game's resolution to something AverMedia can handle? Lower your desktop resolution?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I have a 1440p monitor too and my Elgato only does 1080p max, so I find that the best option is just to drop it down to 1080p when I need to record something and can't fullscreen it to my 1080p monitor.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I'm having a weird Dxtory issue. The file FPS is way lower than what it claims on the overlay. The right number should be the FPS of the video file, right? With the Dxtory codec it was at about 60|40, but the video was crawling and stuttering. I decided to install and use Lagarith, and that claims 60|60, but again, the actual video written to file is running at more like 17 (with total audio desync as well), despite what it says the video write speed is while recording. I eventually downloaded FRAPS (since I bought it years ago), and it records perfectly fine. I can use FRAPS if I need to, but since Lagarith has less huge file sizes, I'd prefer to use it if I can.

I thought it might be weirdness with WC3 being old, but I opened up Borderlands 2 and it had the same issues. Dxtory claimed it was recording around 60, but the video was around 20. It doesn't seem like it's write-speed bound if FRAPS is recording just fine, and my CPU is like 6 cores overclocked to slightly over 4GHz so I doubt it's CPU resources.

Edit: Er... NM, apparently it's actually my media player, VLC or Windows Media Player play it correctly, PotPlayer does not.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 28, 2015

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

There should be giant red letters in op that spell out "do not use lovely media players". Seriously, it looks like video player guide will have it auditory.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

kalstrams posted:

There should be giant red letters in op that spell out "do not use lovely media players". Seriously, it looks like video player guide will have it auditory.

Eh, I find PotPlayer is usually better than the others, but I guess not for this.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Hey guys,

this is the first time I want to LP something more advanced than a GBA game and I'm just trying to suss out how to actually record the video. I have had good experience with OBS for races in the past, so I wanted to use this, and I understand it mostly so that is good, but I am running into a problem which I don't know if I can even solve. If I record the game at my monitor's full resolution, it looks fine (I think), but is really choppy. But that's 1920x1080, so too much anyway.
If I record at half resolution, the game runs fine, but looks really grainy. I have been following this guide, but most of the optimization options are meant for streaming, so I don't really know which knobs to twist.

The imho important settings look like this:

Any simple solutions (I am fine with "use a different program you moron" as a suggestion) or am I plain hosed because my system is too weak? I can try on my not-a-laptop computer too, maybe that will fix things, but I'd prefer to use this one and I'd think it's powerful enough (I actually have no idea of computers).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
With that low of a bitrate, it's probably your computer. But if you can, try recording to an internal drive that's not running your OS or your game (HDD or SSD doesn't really matter). That fixed a lot of my issues.

3000 bit rate probably isn't going to look pretty no matter what, though. 5k is what I usually see as the recommended baseline for recording, I'd go around 10k or 15k if you can handle it. If you can't 3k is acceptable (it'll just look like a stream rip, people can deal).

Going with FRAPS or Dxtory is probably better though. And yes, I'd recommend recording on a desktop rather than a laptop if it's beefier.