Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

RatHat posted:

Still waiting to see if the Zeref=Romeo sent back in time(the kid in Fairy Tail) theory turns out to be true.
I will laugh until I die if this is true because Romeo does kinda have a lot of visual design in common with Zeref and we've already seen time travel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Monaghan posted:

ultear is technically alive, though extremely old.

Pretty sure the implication was that she died at the end of that chapter though, not just that she stayed old. Anyways, loved this chapter, if for nothing else other than Igneel's death being a reversal of the usual thing in movies where two characters slash each other, it shows the villain first like he won and then zooms out to show the hero was the one who really won.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So uh, seems we're gonna have another timeskip, this time of a year, and one that the characters will actually experience.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Etherius Natsu Dragneel

:psyboom: WHAT

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

EvilTaytoMan Feb 28 2014 posted:

Crazy plot speculation:
END is actually Natsu/someone from the guild/someone we've met before.

Lol

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Well END's identity is no big surprise but all in all I thought the Tartarus arc was pretty drat good.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
Man I sure am glad Wendy had her little moment where she cut her hair!

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Goddamn it did he really plot device Wendy's hair back.

Not even hair can die in this drat manga.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rodyle posted:

Etherius Natsu Dragneel

:psyboom: WHAT

Etherious it's the name of the type of Demons that come from the Books of Zeref.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
This is looking more and more like time travel fuckery.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Thoren posted:

Ha, yeah I laughed at that. She's better with long hair, but yeah he totally ignored the traditional "girl in a shounen manga dramatically cuts her hair to show growth" trope. END's identity is no surprise to me, I had assumed as much. It'll be interesting to see a proper "everyone goes off and trains" arc, since there really hasn't been much training at all, just random power-ups from Natsu eating one thing or another.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Thoren posted:

hey igneel died last chapter, along with other dragons that's.... something?

NowonSA posted:

Ha, yeah I laughed at that. She's better with long hair, but yeah he totally ignored the traditional "girl in a shounen manga dramatically cuts her hair to show growth" trope. END's identity is no surprise to me, I had assumed as much. It'll be interesting to see a proper "everyone goes off and trains" arc, since there really hasn't been much training at all, just random power-ups from Natsu eating one thing or another.

Actually I hope they just do a timeskip. One thing I like about this series is that there's no goddamn training arcs.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Monaghan posted:

hey igneel died last chapter, along with other dragons that's.... something?

Nope, the dragons have been dead for years if not centuries and it was only their ghosts that were living inside the Dragon Slayers. So Igneel died before the comic even started, perhaps you could go so far as to count the dragons disappearing as their death, which makes it a flashback death and not covered by the no deaths rule.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Gyges posted:

Nope, the dragons have been dead for years if not centuries and it was only their ghosts that were living inside the Dragon Slayers. So Igneel died before the comic even started, perhaps you could go so far as to count the dragons disappearing as their death, which makes it a flashback death and not covered by the no deaths rule.

How did ghosts the raise the Dragon Slayers? I got the impression that was not a two week or even two month summer camp, but that they actually raised them as surrogate parents for years.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Zogundar posted:

How did ghosts the raise the Dragon Slayers? I got the impression that was not a two week or even two month summer camp, but that they actually raised them as surrogate parents for years.

Same way the ghosts just went and destroyed Face while fighting Achnologia. They had a Spawn style energy meter that was all but one E when they disappeared 7 years ago? I'm sure if Fairy Tail friendships hard enough they'll find a way to talk to dragon heaven.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just glad we finally got an explanation for that spell preventing old people from leaving the guild hall was finally explained away. (and in a relatively not bullshit way!)

Also hopefully the time-skip is gonna actually have something resembling an impact on the story. I don't think the last one actually did anything?

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I'm just glad we finally got an explanation for that spell preventing old people from leaving the guild hall was finally explained away. (and in a relatively not bullshit way!)

Also hopefully the time-skip is gonna actually have something resembling an impact on the story. I don't think the last one actually did anything?

Not really. At least this time it looks like Makarov is gonna step down and let others take over for him. Maybe he'll let someone from the group that got older get some relevance in future arcs too.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Monaghan posted:

Actually I hope they just do a timeskip. One thing I like about this series is that there's no goddamn training arcs.

I suppose in fairness, when everyone has magic powers that obey no consistent system or rules aside from "Normal magic users have X amount of magic power, and they use it to perform magic" there isn't a lot of room for a compelling training arc. They can't exactly learn the names of their weapons or different chakra natures. Most characters are going to get a pretty major powerup though, as they always do after any amount of time, and I'd rather see it happen than get it after the fact.

I think the One Piece training/time transition before they entered the New World is probably the best done training arc in recent memory, in that it established a little bit of the new powers and knowledge everyone was gaining, but still left plenty of surprises for when the gang did get back together and resume owning just about everyone. I mean, no surprise that One Piece owns since it's the best Shonen manga right now, but I'd love something similar to that.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It is clearly time for guild master Lucy.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

SatansBestBuddy posted:

I don't remember this problem at all. Any idea what chapter it's from?

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Well the latest chapter sure was something. :staredog:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

|Ziggy| posted:

I don't remember this problem at all. Any idea what chapter it's from?

It was when Laxus tried to murder everyone into making him the guild leader.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Can anyone comment on how the anime is doing? I never got far in the manga, and stopped watching the show around episode 50 maybe? It was right at the arc where FT teams up with some other guilds for some mission and it introduced the PARRRFUMMMME guy. I'd like to get back into this series but I'm not sure if I should binge on the show or just plow through the manga.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Kingtheninja posted:

just plow through the manga.

This.

You can read way faster than you can watch TV, so if you want to catch up quickly this is your best bet.

Also I remember watching a couple episodes of the anime and really hated those spell circle things that made it look like they were summoning something with every attack. The manga just has them punch people and it's much better for it.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Kingtheninja posted:

Can anyone comment on how the anime is doing? I never got far in the manga, and stopped watching the show around episode 50 maybe? It was right at the arc where FT teams up with some other guilds for some mission and it introduced the PARRRFUMMMME guy. I'd like to get back into this series but I'm not sure if I should binge on the show or just plow through the manga.

I'd pick the manga, but that's because I can get through about a volume of chapters in the time it'd take to watch one episode. And right now, if you have a Crunchyroll account, you can read all of FT from the start. At least for the next few months.

Edit: Read the manga, and if there are any fights you want to see in motion, look online (meaning Crunchyroll/Funimation's videos, no :filez:) for the corresponding episode.

Kuroyama fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Jan 20, 2015

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Kuroyama posted:

Not really. At least this time it looks like Makarov is gonna step down and let others take over for him. Maybe he'll let someone from the group that got older get some relevance in future arcs too.

I'm actually interested in Laxus's development, since if Fairy Tail is disbanding, I'm wondering if he'll try to revive it, or something.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

Right now the anime completed the grand magic games arc, animated some of the .5 chapters, and is now completing a filler arc.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
So what is etherias again? Means poo poo all to me.

Thoren
May 28, 2008
Fairy Tail doesn't even exist as an anime to me.

In my mind Happy is still white.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
He's blue in all the color spreads though?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

So what is etherias again? Means poo poo all to me.

I mentioned it earlier on the page. Etherious are a subspecies of Demons that were created from the books of Zeref.

All the Nine Demon gates had a 2nd form known as Etherious form as well.

|Ziggy|
Oct 2, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

I mentioned it earlier on the page. Etherious are a subspecies of Demons that were created from the books of Zeref.

So Natsu is gonna turn into a dragon to beat up on Acknologia. I'm ok with this.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Thoren posted:

Fairy Tail doesn't even exist as an anime to me.

In my mind Happy is still white.

The only thing more wrong than caring about Happy is caring about Charlotte. The only good exceed is Pantherlily.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

MonsterEnvy posted:

When was this explained?

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

All kitties are good hth

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Jose posted:

When was this explained?

Mard Geer explained it soon after his first appearance. That the members of Tartarus are Etherious, Demons born from the book of Zeref. All the Demons that transformed after he explained it called the transformation Etherious form.

|Ziggy| posted:

So Natsu is gonna turn into a dragon to beat up on Acknologia. I'm ok with this.

Nope he is going to turn into a Demon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nope he is going to turn into a Demon.

No reason a demon can't also be a dragon.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

NowonSA posted:

I suppose in fairness, when everyone has magic powers that obey no consistent system or rules aside from "Normal magic users have X amount of magic power, and they use it to perform magic" there isn't a lot of room for a compelling training arc. They can't exactly learn the names of their weapons or different chakra natures. Most characters are going to get a pretty major powerup though, as they always do after any amount of time, and I'd rather see it happen than get it after the fact.

I think the One Piece training/time transition before they entered the New World is probably the best done training arc in recent memory, in that it established a little bit of the new powers and knowledge everyone was gaining, but still left plenty of surprises for when the gang did get back together and resume owning just about everyone. I mean, no surprise that One Piece owns since it's the best Shonen manga right now, but I'd love something similar to that.

I'd love that too but Fairy Tail is consistently disappointing when it comes to fighting abilities of the characters. It will probably be the same punch with a new name, as it usually is.

Kuroyama
Sep 15, 2012
no fucking Anime in GiP

Comic posted:

I'm actually interested in Laxus's development, since if Fairy Tail is disbanding, I'm wondering if he'll try to revive it, or something.

It'll either be A: Everyone rejects Makarov's disbandment order, and make someone else (probably Laxus) the new master. Or B: Someone (probably Laxus) starts a new guild that's Fairy Tail in all but name. It might even have the name, depending on the rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fairy Tail Zero's newest chapter has some interesting implications for the main series. Or at least I'm really curious to see what comes next.

• Locked thread