Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Having a father for an attorney, worked in his office and researched it pretty heavily, my understanding is that the generally, unless you deal with specific aspects of engineering that could be exclusive or things that require clearacnce and are state secrets, non-compete clauses are nearly universally unenforceable. In food service, it's like, ludicrous.

Depends on your state. Recipes, supplier contracts, customer lists, techniques -- all of these could be trade secrets, if not to the extent of full trade secret protection, but to the point of enforcing a limited (in time and scope) noncompete. I say this as a lawyer, but please don't rely on this as legal advice.

ETA: Also, don't confuse an employer's ability to fire you for working another job (basically unlimited) with their ability to enforce a noncompete agreement (extremely limited depending on state).

Test Pattern fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jan 19, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.

Steve Yun posted:

How many of you have noticed asian customers requesting their steaks well done more often than other ethnicities

I spent a few years managing a 24-hour diner, and for me it was the exact opposite. Big group of Asians at 3am? It's gonna be rare steaks and up eggs all night long.

MrDude
Jun 23, 2011
As a buffet cook that frequently carves, my life is staring into guests' eyes as meat transitions to shards of charcoal. I get plenty of compliments, my technique is to wait until the air feels particularly dry as moisture desperately tries to force its way back into the meat. It never does

Better than the premium restaurant at our property though, where the cheapest steak is $50 and they get regular requests for well done with ketchup still

Wroughtirony
May 14, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

How many of you have noticed asian customers requesting their steaks well done more often than other ethnicities

Steve you know better.

The rest of you- we are not going to have a discussion of steak done-ness and race.

To add: I once had a dude send back a steak that he had ordered well done because it didn't have any pink in it. His words, which will live forever in my soul: "I wanted it WELL DONE!, like DONE WELL- COOKED PROPERLY. A proper steak should be red in the middle with pink toward the edges!"

"So, medium rare?"

"No! I don't want a rare steak, I want it WELL DONE. Red in the middle and pink toward the edges. WELL DONE."

ascendance
Feb 19, 2013

Wroughtirony posted:

Steve you know better.

The rest of you- we are not going to have a discussion of steak done-ness and race.

To add: I once had a dude send back a steak that he had ordered well done because it didn't have any pink in it. His words, which will live forever in my soul: "I wanted it WELL DONE!, like DONE WELL- COOKED PROPERLY. A proper steak should be red in the middle with pink toward the edges!"

"So, medium rare?"

"No! I don't want a rare steak, I want it WELL DONE. Red in the middle and pink toward the edges. WELL DONE."
My father in law will only eat steaks well done. It makes me sad.

But he was poor growing up, and only ever bought like cheap lovely cuts of steak from the supermarket (round steak or whatever).

So... I won't loving make steak for him. It just makes so much more sense to make something like brisket or pot roast. Basically, something filled with collagen and cooked slow for a long period of time.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god

Wroughtirony posted:

Steve you know better.

"So, medium rare?"

Ideally medium rare is a uniform interior color but whatever.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Wroughtirony posted:

Steve you know better.

:colbert: It's steak done-ness demographics

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Hopefully this is the right place for this...

I'm getting married soon, and our reception is going to be at a restaurant that's opening between lunch/dinner services (3-7) for just us.

They've quoted us a $500 flat fee (to pay the waiters and cooks, etc.) and then we'd pay menu costs for whatever we eat and drink.

How would we tip in this situation?

Looking at 35 people, probably $3500 - $4000 total at the end of the night.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

For a party of that size, and given they are opening just for you, I would think gratuity would be factored in. I would ask the manager to confirm, but its rare in my area for large parties to not have gratuity added automatically.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Ah cool. Would you tip on top of that - ie: give each of the waiters $20 in cash or something?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
depends on what the grat is, how generous you are, and how good they are, no?

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

Ah cool. Would you tip on top of that - ie: give each of the waiters $20 in cash or something?

I never expect it or think anyone's a dick who doesn't tip extra on parties like that (except for the lady who made me monkey climb all over the bar for half an hour getting her stupid baby shower decorations up), but sometimes people do, but usually its people who come to the restaurant regularly that we're all on first name basis's with.

Psychobabble
Jan 17, 2006

I'm getting married soon, and our reception is going to be at a restaurant that's opening between lunch/dinner services (3-7) for just us.

They've quoted us a $500 flat fee (to pay the waiters and cooks, etc.) and then we'd pay menu costs for whatever we eat and drink.

The market and the number of staff would dictate the tip. If you do, don't forget to include the kitchen. Most servers will walk out with a couple hundred dollars for those four hours of work, while the back of house get stuck working an extra four hours at minimum wage.

Hell, you want a good party tip the kitchen before it even starts.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

It's pretty standard for something like that to have a 15-18% gratuity on the bill automatically. As others have said, if you think the service or the food was really good, no one's going to say no to an extra tip, no one would really expect it though. In lieu of a tip for the kitchen, you can always talk to the manager and see if you can buy them a round of drinks or something - it sounds like they might have to do dinner service yet after your reception, but they might let you buy a round for after their dinner service is done. Nothing makes kitchens happier than free booze.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Bring in a case or two of good beer for the kitchen, or a bottle or two of decent whiskey. Those guys would make sure the food is absolutely perfect.

Gratuity will be included, and those servers are going to walk with a few hundred each. Each cook will make about 30-40bux for coming in early, prepping your reception, and cooking it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

When I used to work at a BBQ spot people would order well-done steak and it blew my mind cause we had a 12-hour brisket that was sure loving well done but also tender and delicious. I think part of the problem is that the phrase "well done" seems a bit like "cooked properly". I wish the term were something like "extremely done" or "very cooked" or something instead.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenning posted:

When I used to work at a BBQ spot people would order well-done steak and it blew my mind cause we had a 12-hour brisket that was sure loving well done but also tender and delicious. I think part of the problem is that the phrase "well done" seems a bit like "cooked properly". I wish the term were something like "extremely done" or "very cooked" or something instead.

I've worked at more than one place where the servers were required to confirm every order with a description of the steak - "no pink at all, then?" "red and juicy in the middle?" - for that reason.

Chalk is Cheap
Mar 29, 2005

You know, Maine has a really cool underground hip-hop scene...
I've decided use a variation of a Bearnaise for my valentine's day specials this year. I'm a little worried about it breaking halfway into service. Are there any cool new techniques for holding emulsions longer or should I just have extra reduction done ahead of time and plan on remaking it after a few hours?

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
The boss man had a problem getting his order complete through Sysco today. My boss and our business manager call up our Sysco representative and...

"Hi, this is Joe and JoJo with Institutional Kitchen and we're having a problem with our order."

"I can't deal with this right now I'm feeding my chickens."

*click*

Like...this literally happened.

Rockzilla
Feb 19, 2007

Squish!

Chalk is Cheap posted:

I've decided use a variation of a Bearnaise for my valentine's day specials this year. I'm a little worried about it breaking halfway into service. Are there any cool new techniques for holding emulsions longer or should I just have extra reduction done ahead of time and plan on remaking it after a few hours?

I've never tried it with bearnaise but a half teaspoon of xanthan gum blended into a couple of litres of beurre blanc makes it unbreakable.

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!
Also we just hired a new part-timer and I've never met anyone so bad at first impressions. We have the part-time employees do 8 hour shifts their first few days to get them acquainted with everything. This guy walks in first thing in the morning.

Boss: Oh, hey you must be Joe!

Joe: Yeah, I hope you're not expecting me to work a whole shift.

Followed almost immediately by "so when do we get paid?"

Granted he just got off his other job and he was apparently pretty tired. But gently caress man why even apply for the drat job in that case.

This place is in the loving twilight zone I swear it.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

AwwJeah posted:

The boss man had a problem getting his order complete through Sysco today. My boss and our business manager call up our Sysco representative and...

"Hi, this is Joe and JoJo with Institutional Kitchen and we're having a problem with our order."

"I can't deal with this right now I'm feeding my chickens."

*click*

Like...this literally happened.

A man's gotta have his priorities.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Hauki posted:

A man's gotta have his priorities.

And know his limitations.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

AwwJeah posted:

Also we just hired a new part-timer and I've never met anyone so bad at first impressions. We have the part-time employees do 8 hour shifts their first few days to get them acquainted with everything. This guy walks in first thing in the morning.

Boss: Oh, hey you must be Joe!

Joe: Yeah, I hope you're not expecting me to work a whole shift.

Followed almost immediately by "so when do we get paid?"

Granted he just got off his other job and he was apparently pretty tired. But gently caress man why even apply for the drat job in that case.

This place is in the loving twilight zone I swear it.

Not to say that's a great attitude, but honestly that sounds like a problem with your place's scheduling practices more then anything. Flip the situation around and look at it from his perspective - what kind of first impression are you guys making on him about the work environment there when he was hired on with full knowledge that this was a part time second job and on his very first day he's scheduled to work eight hours after already being tired from working another job? If the guy is already physically and mentally tired from working once that day then he's not going to benefit much more from working eight hours versus four, and management should probably be more flexible with their scheduling policies.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Hi thread.

Just finished our company wide winter vacation, nobody has really started working yet. Come work in the wine biz, this is ridic.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Turkeybone posted:

Hi thread.

Just finished our company wide winter vacation, nobody has really started working yet. Come work in the wine biz, this is ridic.

You're not nearly as fun when you're not miserable.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

Turkeybone posted:

Hi thread.

I've actually recently started looking into working for one or two of the wineries in my area that have restaurants in-house. Kinda liking what I see.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I really have to find a part time serving gig. I'm at 35 hours right now, but the way the schedule is set up I have off from Tuesday at 4 till Friday at 5. That is way to much loving downtime for me...

I've got all the experience needed / know the computer systems most places use here / etc etc.

But, I'm having a motivational problem going out looking, not many places are hiring, and Spring / Summer will be here soon when all the beach stores start hiring. I'm stuck.

Well hopefully something turns up. Looking tomorrow!

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Turkeybone posted:

Hi thread.

You hiring?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
Kind of always hiring -- sales is a whole different beast than just being an excel monkey.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
[ASK] me about having people run out of a product I represent while your company was on shutdown. Or having to reschedule meetings because the F&B directors of major accounts were busy trying to rejigger their costs for a week because they couldn't get product to keep on menus.

Motherfucking union contracts, loving up all my poo poo.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Anyone in the San Antonio area looking for a part time job?

Must have experience in a kitchen, lol.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I'm going to be in San Antonio tomorrow through Sunday for PAX. Is your place anywhere near the river walk Errant?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I'm going to be in San Antonio tomorrow through Sunday for PAX. Is your place anywhere near the river walk Errant?

No pretty far outside. Although if you want to meet up for lunch Saturday I can show you the Pearl. It has some delicious places.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

No pretty far outside. Although if you want to meet up for lunch Saturday I can show you the Pearl. It has some delicious places.

Don't quite know our schedule for Sat, but I think we can make room for lunch, PMed you my number.

Iggore
May 6, 2009
I dont know if this is the thread to talk about it, but here goes:

I just finished a season working in logistics for a cruiseship line, specifically procurement for the restauration department, and things were so bad and disorganized that I have to wonder if this is the norm in that sort of industry.

Corporate would hammer at me with how important stock control and proper inventorying is, while giving me no tools and methode on how to do it. Their management software is outdated by over a decade. And in restauration and bartending, your goods (mostly alcool) fly by very quickly and through a lot of indifferent (and sometimes malicious) hands. If you dont have iron-like management discipline and tight oversight of operations, control is impossible, so you have to be prepared to have a high tolerance for disparities in your stock. That compagny had neither.

In the past 6 years they had 4 new directors (the one I worked under this season was new, and also lost his job/quit) and the guy I toke over from left in bad terms. So I was trained by someone from corporate who never actualy worked in restauration. "Here's how to do stock reception, here's how to order stuff. Good luck". Except that this was just 1/5 of my responsabilities. I learned the rest on the fly.

My salary: "you're gonna get paid a bit more than a busboy, but thats because you'll have the opportunity to do unlimited hours!". Indeed. I literally did 22h-23h shifts once or twice every week.

Also; "you're responsible for stock management, and in charge of the monthly inventorying, but we wont show you the results of it until the season is over. Also we're gonna judge your performance on that above anything else."

Its as if restauration compagnies arent really the best at management, unless your Disney.

e: the way the rest of the staff was treated wasnt really better.

Iggore fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jan 24, 2015

Invisible Ted
Aug 24, 2011

hhhehehe
One of our sous chefs tasted something with a spoon and then immediately started plating with it, then proceeded to tell me it was because we didn't have designated tasting spoons. Can someone tell me I'm not stupid for thinking this is nonsense?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Invisible Ted posted:

One of our sous chefs tasted something with a spoon and then immediately started plating with it, then proceeded to tell me it was because we didn't have designated tasting spoons. Can someone tell me I'm not stupid for thinking this is nonsense?

Yeah that's nonsense and I can explain it with grammar.

The root form of "designated" is "to designate". The usage "the spoon is designated" is a passive construction of that infinitive verb form used as an adjective in the grammatical object, with "spoon" acting as the "deep" object to the passive verb in that phrase. The active construction would be "designate(s) the spoon." Of course, any verb needs a subject, so you can just choose any worthwhile noun: "we designate the [tasting] spoons."

And that grammar problem is the only thing that's stopping regular spoons from being "designated" as tasting spoons.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Not only nonsense, but a violation of health code everywhere that has one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe

CommonShore posted:

Yeah that's nonsense and I can explain it with grammar.

The root form of "designated" is "to designate". The usage "the spoon is designated" is a passive construction of that infinitive verb form used as an adjective in the grammatical object, with "spoon" acting as the "deep" object to the passive verb in that phrase. The active construction would be "designate(s) the spoon." Of course, any verb needs a subject, so you can just choose any worthwhile noun: "we designate the [tasting] spoons."

And that grammar problem is the only thing that's stopping regular spoons from being "designated" as tasting spoons.

This is a fantastic answer, but what you should probably just tell him is that he's a disgusting loving slopshow that shouldn't ever be allowed to touch food again. He's a lazy twat that's trying to explain away his laziness, there's no way anyone that can figure out how to tie their shoes can't come to the conclusion "get TWO spoons!" all on their own.

• Locked thread