Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

sort of, but in a less powerful state. In ff12 you could only reverse status items; in ffta2 you can throw any item at all. I remember beating the final boss by shoving x potions down it's throat until it died.

You can do that with the Nihopaloa too, it's just not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The ffx remaster is really, really sharp, it's really impressive how good that game still looks even now

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Levantine posted:

I really like Tabata. The more I read his interviews the more he comes off as super enthusiastic and invested in his products.

While he's enthusiastic, Tabata comes off very realistic about his game's limitations. He's clear about Noctis being the only playable character, the car not being able to go everywhere like in GTA, and the amount of game length they're targeting. Nomura's concept and promises for Versus seemed well beyond the scope of any previous Square-Enix title, especially without live playthroughs of the game to back up the claims. There was third-person shooting, multiple playable characters with unique abilities, environmental hazards, hijacking enemy Magitek armor, and much more. Many of these elements, such as the over the shoulder shooting, seemed well beyond the expertise of the Kingdom Hearts development team.

I think we would have had Final Fantasy Versus XIII on Crystal Tools by now if it had been a Kingdom Hearts 2 style 'go through a narrow corridor/fight enemies with melee in a square room/press x to win/rinse and repeat' type of game. However, it ended up incorporating a lot of elements that went beyond the scope of any Square-Enix game before it. Similar to Metal Gear Rising's original concept, I wouldn't be surprised if the original developers struggled to make a set of interesting ideas into a shippable game that was enjoyable to play. Tabata's FFXV feels like the most ambitious FF title yet that is still aware it needs to temper fans' expectations.

Toxxupation posted:

The ffx remaster is really, really sharp, it's really impressive how good that game still looks even now

A lot of work went into the remaster since they had lost tools and assets from the original games' development. The Chinese branch of a 3D art company called Virtuos was hired to help them with the remaster. From announcement to shipped product, the remaster took longer to make than the development time of the original Final Fantasy X game.

Fun fact about the remaster, in the expanded credits someone named Vincent Hamm is listed under Special Thanks. Vincent Hamm is also the name of yaz0r who is a fan of Final Fantasy and a hobbyist programmer. Back in 2005, he made a a program that let you extract and view models from Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. It looks like the development team for the Remaster used a fan made program to help them make the game.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Sunning posted:

Bonus, Interview with Wan Hazmer about designing FFXV: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2pFUJLx55c

He seems as excited as Tabata. But yeah, cool interview. Not many new details, but their process is interesting.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Sunning posted:

I think we would have had Final Fantasy Versus XIII on Crystal Tools by now if it had been a Kingdom Hearts 2 style 'go through a narrow corridor/fight enemies with melee in a square room/press x to win/rinse and repeat' type of game. However, it ended up incorporating a lot of elements that went beyond the scope of any Square-Enix game before it. Similar to Metal Gear Rising's original concept, I wouldn't be surprised if the original developers struggled to make a set of interesting ideas into a shippable game that was enjoyable to play. Tabata's FFXV feels like the most ambitious FF title yet that is still aware it needs to temper fans' expectations.

Even with Lightning Return's new battle system, they kept battles separate from the main world. The engine most likely wasn't up to the task, and would probably have never got FFXIV 1.0 running on the PS3 like they originally intended.

One of the reasons I was looking forward to FF Versus XIII so much was because I wanted a Kingdom Hearts game that didn't feel so held back by the hardware, which have all been on PS2-equivalent systems for the last 13 years. Even if FFXV feels more like a Type-0 successor than a Kingdom Hearts one, at least there's a proper PS4 entry in the works. I also look forward to seeing you write about how much of a distaster that game's development has been, if we get more info eventually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sunning posted:

Fun fact about the remaster, in the expanded credits someone named Vincent Hamm is listed under Special Thanks. Vincent Hamm is also the name of yaz0r who is a fan of Final Fantasy and a hobbyist programmer. Back in 2005, he made a a program that let you extract and view models from Final Fantasy X and Final Fantasy X-2. It looks like the development team for the Remaster used a fan made program to help them make the game.

Lol

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.
It boggles my mind that Final Fantasy Versus XIII hasn't been released yet. I remember first hearing about it from E3 2006.

What a clusterfuck that nine years' development time must have been.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

CottonWolf posted:

He seems as excited as Tabata. But yeah, cool interview. Not many new details, but their process is interesting.

It's good to see young lions moving up in the company. A few years ago, it seemed like it would take Kitase or Nomura retiring to get the company to greenlight big budget projects headed by new talent.

That loving Sned posted:

Even with Lightning Return's new battle system, they kept battles separate from the main world. The engine most likely wasn't up to the task, and would probably have never got FFXIV 1.0 running on the PS3 like they originally intended.

One of the reasons I was looking forward to FF Versus XIII so much was because I wanted a Kingdom Hearts game that didn't feel so held back by the hardware, which have all been on PS2-equivalent systems for the last 13 years. Even if FFXV feels more like a Type-0 successor than a Kingdom Hearts one, at least there's a proper PS4 entry in the works. I also look forward to seeing you write about how much of a distaster that game's development has been, if we get more info eventually.

I don't think we'll ever get the full story of what went wrong with Versus. Square-Enix just isn't very comfortable talking in-depth about their development problems, especially if the people involved are still working at the company. Tabata has been very diplomatic when asked about the delays and development problems surrounding Versus/FFXV in the past. Even the post-mortems of FF12 and FF13 at Game Developer Magazine left more questions than they answered. We were lucky to get a full breakdown of what went wrong with FFXIV 1.0 from Naoki Yoshida.

I wouldn't be surprised if the game might have cost tens of millions prior to the reboot. The CGI alone would have cost a fortune. I imagine a lot of the CGI had to be redone or thrown out due to characters being redesigned or the script undergoing rewrites. There were probably writedowns associated with it in the books but FFXV is probably up there with A Realm Reborn as one of the most expensive projects in the history of the Japanese game industry.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Sunning posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the game might have cost tens of millions prior to the reboot. The CGI alone would have cost a fortune. I imagine a lot of the CGI had to be redone or thrown out due to characters being redesigned or the script undergoing rewrites. There were probably writedowns associated with it in the books but FFXV is probably up there with A Realm Reborn as one of the most expensive projects in the history of the Japanese game industry.

You would think Square would have learned a thing or two about not pouring money into money losing projects, but apparently not??

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

i just tried ff14 for a couple of hours. i don't know what to say. I've never seen such a clusterfuck of a HUD in a game before, and i have no idea whats going on. is this standard for mmos?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

i just tried ff14 for a couple of hours. i don't know what to say. I've never seen such a clusterfuck of a HUD in a game before, and i have no idea whats going on. is this standard for mmos?

Yes

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

I had never played an MMO before I did the free trial of FFXIV, and it seemed intelligible to me.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

morallyobjected posted:

I had never played an MMO before I did the free trial of FFXIV, and it seemed intelligible to me.

i understand most of it. its just ugly. and the map is bad.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

It seemed really basic and straightforward to me. Were you playing the PC version or the PS3/4?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Levantine posted:

It seemed really basic and straightforward to me. Were you playing the PC version or the PS3/4?

ps4 free trial. i guess it might be easer to deal with if you have a proper mouse.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

how much of this mess do you need to pay attention to?

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In that screen, a good two thirds at least. But when I last played FFIV didn't have such extensive addon support so you probably wouldn't have access to such improvements anyway. But when you get to endgame you will start doing strange, ugly things to your UI to shave the seconds off your response time ...

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

triplexpac posted:

You would think Square would have learned a thing or two about not pouring money into money losing projects, but apparently not??

The development structure in Square revolved around giving designers, writers, and artists a lot of creative freedom and money to fulfill their vision (as long as it was a FF game). They'll often work on finishing touches for art assets before the script was finalized or the minute to minute gameplay was nailed down. So a lot of stuff in development went wrong due to poor planning or a lack of a shared vision. There wasn't a history of agile development or heavy prototyping. For that matter, Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within went severely overbudget because they animated the movie without finished storyboards which led to a number of fully rendered shots being dropped from the final cut.

The developers preferred to play it by the ear when making the games. The Final Fantasy games on PS1 cost tens of millions to create. I wouldn't be surprised if much of that money was due to CGI and churning out assets that would largely be thrown out. We saw this system start to break down near the end of the PS2 era. Even with a string of troubled projects, their business is based around developing and shipping big budget games since they are a publically traded company that has to show reliability and growth.

However, I think they're at the end of their rope. The future of Final Fantasy as a big budget console series depends on the success of FFXV. The new management is already pushing console-style FF games on mobile platforms, such as Final Fantasy Legends: Crystals of Time, Final Fantasy: Brave Exvius, and, most notably, Mevius Final Fantasy. Even if console development ends in Tokyo, they still have Eidos to make AAA games for them.

Sunning fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 19, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also in practice pretty much nobody actually uses a UI that cluttered in any MMO.

XIV's UI is really good and at least on PC it's freely customizable from the settings as well.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ps4 free trial. i guess it might be easer to deal with if you have a proper mouse.

I played it on PS3 for a couple of months and really liked the pad controls. You 100% need a USB keyboard though

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Kanfy posted:

Also in practice pretty much nobody actually uses a UI that cluttered in any MMO.

XIV's UI is really good and at least on PC it's freely customizable from the settings as well.

You can change it all on consoles as well. It's well worth going into the HUD editor and reducing the size of some stuff like the Quest/Duty list.

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

So whats the consensus on FFXIII for the PC? Should I be using this GeDoSaTo tool after they have released the 1080p patch last month? I have a decently powerful PC(overclocked 2500k, gtx770), just wondering how well it's going to run.

Devil Wears Wings
Jul 17, 2006

Look ye upon the wages of diet soda and weep, for it is society's fault.

Slider posted:

So whats the consensus on FFXIII for the PC? Should I be using this GeDoSaTo tool after they have released the 1080p patch last month? I have a decently powerful PC(overclocked 2500k, gtx770), just wondering how well it's going to run.

I have a similar setup to yours and it still dips under 30fps at times, sadly. It's a serviceable port but I wish it were optimized better.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't remember the Seymour fight at Gagazet giving me this much trouble the first time I played the game. I can deal with the Zombie/Full-Life combo fine but Cross Cleave always kills at least one party member and then it all just goes downhill from there.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Slider posted:

If you run it above 720p using the provided options, there's a bug where enemy info won't be displayed. I don't think that bug happens if you use GeDoSaTo, and I'm not aware of there being any downsides to it. So, yeah, probably do that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

kirbysuperstar posted:

You can change it all on consoles as well. It's well worth going into the HUD editor and reducing the size of some stuff like the Quest/Duty list.

Yeah, I was going to say. I always shrank the scale of the UI and moved things around. FFXIV really got a lot right out of the gate (of 2.0).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

I don't remember the Seymour fight at Gagazet giving me this much trouble the first time I played the game. I can deal with the Zombie/Full-Life combo fine but Cross Cleave always kills at least one party member and then it all just goes downhill from there.

When in doubt, pre-charge all your aeon overdrives and then just bust them out one after another. Perfectly valid cheese strategy for almost any boss in FF10 that's being a brick wall to you.

Barring that, Cross Cleave is heavy physical damage so bring characters with good defense and HP, keep their HP up, and obviously use Protect.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

Just poison the fucker.

EDIT: Wiki says you can silence him too with Wakka.

It takes some getting used to, but it's actually a really neat interface, especially for an MMO. Make sure to fiddle with skill bar placement and size, that usually improves the experience a lot.
The map is pretty good for the most part, but like most MMO maps it has a problem with vertical spaces. This is most notable in the Shroud. But hey, on the other hand the maps are pretty small by MMO standards, so you'll probably memorize them before long.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jan 20, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SSNeoman posted:

so you'll probably memorize them before long.

Except for the Sylphlands. Jesus gently caress.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Basically none of it. That's a shitload of mods opened up to try to make the screen look as cluttered as possible, and not a single one of them is necessary in the slightest. If you're an insane sperglord raider trying to get worldfirst raid kills you might need some mods, but nothing like that screenshot.

FFXIV is a really decent MMO but it does have a pretty bad UI, you're not wrong about that. It's not excessively bad by MMO standards though.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

I find most mmo interfaces to be annoyingly cluttered because they give you a bajillion abilities and let you customize it like crazy. I've recently bought the ps4 version and while the cross hotbar is more visually appealing I'm having a hard time adapting to the controller controls. I keep having to look at my hands and poo poo which feels stupid considering I've been gaming since the loving Atari home console in the mid 80s.

I'll probably just cave and get a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse so I can pay it like I do on PC. What would be really cool is if someone knew a way to import my hotbar layout from PC so I didn't have to redo it.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I feel like the sylphlands is the last vestige of 1.0 in the game. A lot of winding tunnels and that impenetrable mess in the northeast. The number of times running in there to try to get to melt :smithicide:

Also I don't like the map but can't immediately think of a game with one that I like better. Elder scrolls / GTA / sleeping dogs / other open world games like that maybe.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Once you do enough of those drat Sylph beast quests, that place will be burned into your memory.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

New Final Fantasy 14 patch, new Final Fantasy music!

https://soundcloud.com/ffxivunnoficial1/world-of-darkness-bgm-2
https://soundcloud.com/ffxivunnoficial1/world-of-darkness-boss-3
https://soundcloud.com/ffxivunnoficial1/battle-on-the-big-bridge-original

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so
Christ. That alarm that sounds in Chapter 9 of Final Fantasy XIII does not stop until like the end of the chapter plus they have you fight Flanitors which have their own annoying alarm. Square...Please.

:negative:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Christ. That alarm that sounds in Chapter 9 of Final Fantasy XIII does not stop until like the end of the chapter plus they have you fight Flanitors which have their own annoying alarm. Square...Please.

:negative:

This is the part of the game where you turn off the ingame sounds and turn on some bitching tunes, my friend

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

forbidden lesbian posted:

This is the part of the game where you turn off the ingame sounds and turn on some bitching tunes, my friend

Aha - like some Crystal Castles, maybe? Magic Spells or Empathy? I typically resort to drowning out Hope or Snow but mostly Snow with music.

Speaking of music, what was Nobuo Uematsu's last FF?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

deadlyrhetoric posted:

Aha - like some Crystal Castles, maybe? Magic Spells or Empathy? I typically resort to drowning out Hope or Snow but mostly Snow with music.

As in, the last one he was the only composer for or the one he last provided music for? Because the latter is 14, the former is 9.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

deadlyrhetoric posted:

The Last Story. Alternatively, FF X, but then, The Otherworld.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Some new DLC for Theathrythm Curtain Call is coming up, here's a hint: