Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

even better, they actively help to perpetuate and grow the conditions that make them successful!

*(for absolutely terrible values of "better")

tbf this is pretty much the ideal capitalist business model.

uber is as american as gently caress. just a big 'ol red white and blue star spangled boner right up the rear end of the american people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

infernal machines posted:

uber is as american as gently caress. just a big 'ol red white and blue star spangled boner right up the rear end of the american people

wisdom

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the magic of the whole thing: employment in the u.s. is so precarious for so many people, there's an effectively unlimited supply of desperate people who have super nice cars they cannot really afford

unless something very fundamental changes in the next few years, uber doesn't have to worry about burning through the pool of potential drivers. new people join the body of the precariat every single day

somebody needs to invent a time machine and murder everybody responsible for just-in-time scheduling

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

duTrieux. posted:

somebody needs to invent a time machine and murder everybody responsible for just-in-time scheduling

you can blame the japanese for that one (and deming)

tbf deming would probably hate most capitalists these days too

quote:

Deming's Seven Deadly Diseases

The "Seven Deadly Diseases" include:

Lack of constancy of purpose
Emphasis on short-term profits
Evaluation by performance, merit rating, or annual review of performance
Mobility of management
Running a company on visible figures alone
Excessive medical costs
Excessive costs of warranty, fueled by lawyers who work for contingency fees

"A Lesser Category of Obstacles" includes:

Neglecting long-range planning
Relying on technology to solve problems
Seeking examples to follow rather than developing solutions
Excuses, such as "our problems are different"
Obsolescence in school that management skill can be taught in classes[31]
Reliance on quality control departments rather than management, supervisors, managers of purchasing, and production workers
Placing blame on workforces who are only responsible for 15% of mistakes where the system designed by management is responsible for 85% of the unintended consequences
Relying on quality inspection rather than improving product quality

Low-Pass Filter
Aug 12, 2007
I had to look up what just-in-time scheduling was, thought it was an anroid thing.

:smith:

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
late but go gently caress yourself valeyard :toot:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

so uber has begin recruiting in erie pa

and im actually not mad because holy hell the cabs in my hometown are turrible. they will not pick you up from a bar. if they do pick you up, it will take them from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to show up. the cars are all old and dirty. if you don't pay cash, they will bitch you out before producing a card-imprinting machine and then hand you a clipboard where you personally write in your name, origin and destination, fare, and tip. half the time if you have something in the trunk, they will drive away with it before you flag them down again. they are also pretty expensive considering the area and the only company in town.

Meat Beat Agent
Aug 5, 2007

felonious assault with a sproinging boner

theflyingexecutive posted:

half the time if you have something in the trunk, they will drive away with it before you flag them down again

never close your door before opening the trunk

everything else is poo poo though

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Low-Pass Filter posted:

I had to look up what just-in-time scheduling was, thought it was an anroid thing.

lol at this literal childe who's unaware of the previous century's second greatest logistic innovation

gently caress yo warehousing

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FrozenVent posted:

lol at this literal childe who's unaware of the previous century's second greatest logistic innovation

i think they're referring to the trend of companies changing part time workers' schedules with little notice beforehand

but otherwise yes, it's pretty nice in a factory or shipping setting

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

FrozenVent posted:

just-in-time-scheduling is not just-in-time-logistics you idiot

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

Condiv posted:

tech

bubble

flakeloaf posted:

i am confused

this means someone with a dead battery paid eighteen hundred dollars to a jitney service to travel eighty miles?

and such a small image lol

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lol if you schedule anything smaller than an FEU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

so uber has begin recruiting in erie pa

and im actually not mad because holy hell the cabs in my hometown are turrible. they will not pick you up from a bar. if they do pick you up, it will take them from 45 minutes to an hour and a half to show up. the cars are all old and dirty. if you don't pay cash, they will bitch you out before producing a card-imprinting machine and then hand you a clipboard where you personally write in your name, origin and destination, fare, and tip. half the time if you have something in the trunk, they will drive away with it before you flag them down again. they are also pretty expensive considering the area and the only company in town.

maybe erie should have anything worth doing

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

basically

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

maybe erie should have anything worth doing

hey there's a shipyard there

and also uh

yeah so fishmech was right

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

FrozenVent posted:

lol if you schedule anything smaller than an FEU

A what

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Fishmech Endorsed Unit

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
also erie used to be famous for needlessly gouging travelers, so i guess uber and the current taxi company are carrying on a proud tradition

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I await the sweet embrace of death and you should too

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

also erie used to be famous for needlessly gouging travelers, so i guess uber and the current taxi company are carrying on a proud tradition

it was the focus of a chapter in a book about places that benefitted from doing things in an obtuse, backwards way

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

it was the focus of a chapter in a book about places that benefitted from doing things in an obtuse, backwards way

link book ty

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

that's the magic of the whole thing: employment in the u.s. is so precarious for so many people, there's an effectively unlimited supply of desperate people who have super nice cars they cannot really afford

unless something very fundamental changes in the next few years, uber doesn't have to worry about burning through the pool of potential drivers. new people join the body of the precariat every single day

eventually some other Next Big Thing will arise to become the vcs' next darling and lure away all of uber's drivers with exorbitant rewards only made possible by a ridiculous supply of free money, the same way uber did against lyft. uber doesn't really have any unique skills or technologies that other companies can't copy, and their patent applications probably aren't rock-solid enough to stop anyone with funding from muscling in on their territory

the general business model will live forever, but uber itself is dead as soon as it stops being the hot new thing, or as soon as someone else in the "exploit poor people as contractors for poo poo wages" industry comes up with a better marketing department than uber's

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they do have a slight competitive edge re: a complete and utter lack of even the most basic morals and their willingness to build an entirely criminal enterprise

it won't save them when the money butterflies flutter off but it will keep them in the money for slightly longer than the usual flavour of the month

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

yes but what is your opinion on just in time compiling

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

carry on then posted:

yes but what is your opinion on just in time compiling

also poo poo

at least .net is and frankly lol @ java anything

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Low-Pass Filter posted:

i googled this and it made me angry. thanks

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

places that benefitted from doing things in an obtuse, backwards way
yospos bithc

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Nintendo Kid posted:

link book ty

cant find it atm

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

lol i love it when people express such joy at having their biases confirmed

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

they do have a slight competitive edge re: a complete and utter lack of even the most basic morals and their willingness to build an entirely criminal enterprise

it won't save them when the money butterflies flutter off but it will keep them in the money for slightly longer than the usual flavour of the month

lol if you don't think anyone who might possibly be competing with them isn't just as bad

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Main Paineframe posted:

lol if you don't think anyone who might possibly be competing with them isn't just as bad

i suppose i missed the part where it was revealed that lyft and sidecar have literal dossiers on unsympathetic press and use their built in metrics to stalk and harass anyone their management deems worthy

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

i suppose i missed the part where it was revealed that lyft and sidecar have literal dossiers on unsympathetic press and use their built in metrics to stalk and harass anyone their management deems worthy

it was, at least for lyft. it just got less press because no one cares about lyft, and people care even less about sidecar so i don't think anyone's even paying attention to them yet

quote:

Hate to break it to you, but as a journalist who has covered the technology industry for a decade, I can tell you this kind of tracking happens regularly, particularly with early-stage companies. It happens to journalists, and it happens to regular users, too.

For the record, Uber has never presented my personal data to me. But I can recall multiple times when an executive from Lyft, a rival service, punched up my trip log and told me about it. After my very first trip with Lyft, one executive told me the name of the driver who brought me to the cafe where we met.

Asked about the company’s privacy protocol this week, a Lyft spokeswoman said she does have tools to access journalists’ accounts, but she has never used them unless the person is present and has given permission. She said she would look into earlier policies, but has not yet replied to multiple follow-ups.

Lyft appears to be shuffling around its disclosures on privacy this week. The company’s terms of service, which were updated on Wednesday, no longer include its privacy policy. A prominent “privacy” link at the bottom of its site goes to those same terms of service that no longer contain the extensive privacy policy. (See update below.)

Main Paineframe fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 20, 2015

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

lyft had a fair bit of backlash in the summer. a bunch of drivers had a bonfire on ocean beach and burned the mustaches

come to think of it i haven't seen a lyft car in probably 2-3 months now

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

well, like i said, i missed it.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

lyft had a fair bit of backlash in the summer. a bunch of drivers had a bonfire on ocean beach and burned the mustaches

come to think of it i haven't seen a lyft car in probably 2-3 months now

I haven't seen one ever. Thanks, city government.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

well, like i said, i missed it.

it was easy to miss. lyft doesn't get half as much press as uber, since uber is the Future of Travel and lyft is doomed. tons of companies do that poo poo though, especially in the tech startup industry where user data is the only really valuable thing they might have. uber was just dumb enough to get caught saying it

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sidecar ahsn't doen anything terrible as far as I know but they let drivers set their own pricing which leads to inevitable race to zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

FWIW, if you want a decent read of a tech_bubble.txt with funny pictures, feel free to enjoy this.

• Locked thread