Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Yeah my generation did things that were just as lovely as jumping on car hoods, just different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceRangerJoe
Dec 24, 2003

The little hand says it's time to rock and roll.
I'm doing a new head gasket on my E36 soon. Does this kit seem fine? Victor Reinz is an OEM supplier, right? If I'm not going forced induction, is there any reason to spend more on something fancier?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-S52_3.2L/Engine/Gaskets_-and-_Seals/ES2637182/

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

revmoo posted:

Yeah my generation did things that were just as lovely as jumping on car hoods, just different.

Remember when kids thought egging random cars on Halloween was a totally hilarious prank?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

My friends did a lot of "squishy balling", basically take a new roll of toilet paper, dunk in a bucket of water, and throw from moving vehicle at whatever and watch it explode. Maybe I was just a square or something but I never found a lot of satisfaction screwing with other peoples poo poo. Ask me about the time I came out of my high school girlfriends house to find a costco bulk-sized amount of mayonnaise poured in through my vented sunroof of my E28 directly into the drivers seat :arghfist: jumping on the hood of someones car deserves being called out for being a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Someone did this to one of my guest's cars, and all the panels had to be replaced. I feel your pain, but I feel like I should let you know that dumbass white kids do this too.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Do any of you guys want my old Lux V4 bulbs or my ZCP wheels? I have a fresh set of R888s on the ZCP wheels but they all need light reconditioning.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 19, 2015

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Powershift posted:

Remember when kids thought egging random cars on Halloween was a totally hilarious prank?

Back when I was in highscool some kids kept egging every house/car on the block. My neighbor was painting his house, and became their primary target. The cops asked if they could use our yard for a sting and parked a cruiser in my backyard and another on the side of the house. Like clockwork the kids showed up after the local HS football game. Sirens and lights flip on, and I look out my window to see a kid throwing eggs at the cop car, and then at a cop who ran from my backyard and tackled the kid. Ended up being the local pastor's kid, they sold their house and moved the same month.

Other interesting things that happened in that house... Like the time an expedition full of drunk and blindfolded cheerleaders flipped 6 times going past my house as part of a hazing ritual (everyone was ok) or the time a girl who was high on ecstasy crashed through my neighbor's fence and wrapped herself around a tree (not such a happy ending)

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The lux are h8? How much? Trying to decide if I want to get the v5 or not.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My friends did a lot of "squishy balling", basically take a new roll of toilet paper, dunk in a bucket of water, and throw from moving vehicle at whatever and watch it explode. Maybe I was just a square or something but I never found a lot of satisfaction screwing with other peoples poo poo. Ask me about the time I came out of my high school girlfriends house to find a costco bulk-sized amount of mayonnaise poured in through my vented sunroof of my E28 directly into the drivers seat :arghfist: jumping on the hood of someones car deserves being called out for being a gigantic rear end in a top hat.

Around here it was shaking up cans of soda and throwing them at things as you drove by, watching the can explode as it hit the car/house/sign you tossed it at.

That and stealing hood ornaments off cars to wear on a chain as a necklace.

Kids are always horrible little shits.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I'm doing a new head gasket on my E36 soon. Does this kit seem fine? Victor Reinz is an OEM supplier, right? If I'm not going forced induction, is there any reason to spend more on something fancier?

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E36-M3-S52_3.2L/Engine/Gaskets_-and-_Seals/ES2637182/

Get the genuine BMW gasket.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Crosspostin' this but RIP E30
http://imgur.com/a/DuvzU

Somehow I escaped with some sore hips and a cut on my right hand

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

drat, how hard did you get hit?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Holy gently caress, are you lucky. Imagine if it was an f-150 or something.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

rscott posted:

This right here is why we drive BMWs. It sucks that you got hit, but I am glad you are okay.
I know someone who rolled a five series a few years ago, and the guys who rescued him said that most any other car would have been a death sentence in that accident.

Drive safe everyone, and love your cars.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Tab8715 posted:

drat, how hard did you get hit?

speed limit was 40, I'm guessing it wasn't much slower than that

Viper_3000
Apr 26, 2005

I could give a shit about all that.

rscott posted:

God drat. I'm always impressed with how well even old BMWs protect someone in crashes. Glad you got away with scrapes and bruises.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Glad you're okay, rscott. I'll hug the imola e30 for you tonight.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Crustashio posted:

Get the genuine BMW gasket.

Why?
I've put +30psi through a victor reinz gasket with no issues. Just follow the head loosening and torquing sequence, and check it for flatness when you take the head off.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

http://greenville.craigslist.org/cto/4812362639.html

Hellrot e39 540iT, with 6 speed swap. Rebuilt title because of loving course it does. Any thoughts on this, or the price? Seems a little high for a branded titled vehicle? But then this is not a car you could even buy with a manual new, I dunno how often swapped ones pop up or how much they go for.

Shogunner
Apr 29, 2010

Ready to crash and burn.
I never learn.
I'm on the rapetrain.

angryrobots posted:

Hellrot e39 540iT, with 6 speed swap. Rebuilt title because of loving course it does. Any thoughts on this, or the price? Seems a little high for a branded titled vehicle? But then this is not a car you could even buy with a manual new, I dunno how often swapped ones pop up or how much they go for.

That's going to get expensive quick.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
probably needs shocks and bushings all over, E39s eat bushings for breakfast, lunch and dinner

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006
If you'll gather round me children...
Not for 9900 (salvage title, gross, and that last picture is all kinds of bad), but maybe half that. Could be fun.

And why can't you see the front seats? This is a bad listing, I'd wager.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

angryrobots posted:

gently caress. I need it. I nearly flew out to grab a similar car with full m5 swap, ACS typ 2s, just without the 6 speed swap. TiAg on black though. This is...oh boy. Why he didn't do the chains/guides when he was doing the vcgs I have no idea. This is just stupid enough an idea to entice me. But I am also someone who wouldn't mind the maintenance costs on a m70 powered 850ci.

oh, hey, had it bookmarked.
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1747171-TiAg-540it-AZ

SuperDucky fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jan 20, 2015

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006

SuperDucky posted:

gently caress. I need it. I nearly flew out to grab a similar car with full m5 swap, ACS typ 2s, just without the 6 speed swap. TiAg on black though. This is...oh boy. Why he didn't do the chains/guides when he was doing the vcgs I have no idea.

oh, hey, had it bookmarked.
http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1747171-TiAg-540it-AZ

That isn't a full m5 swap... ?

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

That isn't a full m5 swap... ?

Sorry, meant only on the body kit.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Pretty Boy Floyd posted:

Not for 9900 (salvage title, gross, and that last picture is all kinds of bad), but maybe half that. Could be fun.

And why can't you see the front seats? This is a bad listing, I'd wager.

You mean of the wreck damage? He -claims- they straightened out the bumper supports, didn't have to cut anything. I'll ask for pictures of the front seats.

By bad listing you mean scammer? He's texting me, pretty sure it's real. I asked about the timing guides and VANOS, neither have been serviced since he owned it which is odd since he paid a BMW specialty shop to do other service.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
My dream is to use my cheap beater540i/6 as a donor for a wagon.

Hellrot is a cool color but it's too much red for a wagon. Also ditto on the price being too high for a salvage title.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
The shop diagnosis for my e61 is DISA valve (not sure which one, guess Ill have to start poking it myself) for the rattling, and bad wiring harness for the lift gate. I don't mind doing the outside DISA, but the one where you take the manifold off sucks. The quote was for 1k and half a day, so im betting its the inside one. now to find a tutorial somewhere...

The wiring harness is another bitch. cost of having a wagon I guess.

mincedgreen
Mar 14, 2009
Considering buying a 120i, any advice/comments?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

angryrobots posted:

You mean of the wreck damage? He -claims- they straightened out the bumper supports, didn't have to cut anything. I'll ask for pictures of the front seats.

By bad listing you mean scammer? He's texting me, pretty sure it's real. I asked about the timing guides and VANOS, neither have been serviced since he owned it which is odd since he paid a BMW specialty shop to do other service.

Those frame horns are bent bad. At half the price it's still too much, that's asking for trouble.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I don't know how I forgot to mention this in my last :arghfist: drat prankster kids :arghfist: post but I think I can top just about any teenage prank gone wrong story. TL;DR some kids decided it would be a super funny idea to stretch a shitload of sheets of plastic wrap around some trees at night across a 50mph highway so that cars would hit it & think they hit a person/animal/???. I was casually minding my business walking down the street, winding down from some LSD I had taken earlier when I see a motorcycle go down the road, hit the plastic wrap, and launch the driver stupidly far. Turns out the guy on the bike was a friend of mine and he ended up having most of his skull replaced with steel plates, and massive brain damage/memory loss. We had been friends for our entire lives and he forgot who I was after the accident.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

mafoose posted:

Why?
I've put +30psi through a victor reinz gasket with no issues. Just follow the head loosening and torquing sequence, and check it for flatness when you take the head off.

An extra 60 bucks for a factory headgasket on a job you only want to do once is worth it IMO. I've read failure stories of the VR gasket and while they might be user error, I wouldn't chance it. I've got VR gaskets all over my m3 but for a HG I'd want to minimize risk of doing it again.

Brock Landers
Jul 28, 2004

You're a donkey. I like that.

HEY VAPER posted:

I don't know how I forgot to mention this in my last :arghfist: drat prankster kids :arghfist: post but I think I can top just about any teenage prank gone wrong story. TL;DR some kids decided it would be a super funny idea to stretch a shitload of sheets of plastic wrap around some trees at night across a 50mph highway so that cars would hit it & think they hit a person/animal/???. I was casually minding my business walking down the street, winding down from some LSD I had taken earlier when I see a motorcycle go down the road, hit the plastic wrap, and launch the driver stupidly far. Turns out the guy on the bike was a friend of mine and he ended up having most of his skull replaced with steel plates, and massive brain damage/memory loss. We had been friends for our entire lives and he forgot who I was after the accident.

Jesus that's terrible. Did they catch the kids who did it and did they get charged with something?

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Brock Landers posted:

Jesus that's terrible. Did they catch the kids who did it and did they get charged with something?

Not that I'm aware of. I'd like to think that someone somewhere feels some sort of guilt about what they did to this guy, but based on previous life experiences I know that probably isn't the case.

It was pretty hosed up because I was too high to even register what had happened until the firetruck/ambulance sirens came on (luckily this happened so close to the fire station that they also probably saw it happen) and I didn't find out until the next morning that the victim was my friend. I just kind of walked by the scene, sat down on a park bench in an open soccer field overlooking it, and watched the chaos.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 20, 2015

Pretty Boy Floyd
Mar 21, 2006

angryrobots posted:

It's a '99 and the front end of the frame got destroyed. I'm not saying it's not real, but it's probably a lot like that time where I went to see an '04 e46 black on black 325it with a five speed and decked out options only to get the dealer's inspection report that had CELs out the wazoo on it.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Viper_3000 posted:

God drat. I'm always impressed with how well even old BMWs protect someone in crashes. Glad you got away with scrapes and bruises.

Indeed (from two and a half years ago, still miss that E36.) Walked away with just a mark from the seat belt.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

blindjoe posted:

The shop diagnosis for my e61 is DISA valve (not sure which one, guess Ill have to start poking it myself) for the rattling, and bad wiring harness for the lift gate. I don't mind doing the outside DISA, but the one where you take the manifold off sucks. The quote was for 1k and half a day, so im betting its the inside one. now to find a tutorial somewhere...

The wiring harness is another bitch. cost of having a wagon I guess.

It's not completely awful, I swapped manifolds to add the disa one to my 325, and will be repeating it for my 328.

This is a decent overview: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=801310 and there's one on the z4 forum I can dig up later. The only real risk is breaking one of the vacuum hoses, or not having then reseat correctly.

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
I only bought the outer one for now, and that one looks like I don't have to take the manifold off.
Hopefully thats the one making noise, the shop mentioned it was the "outer" valve.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Don't know about the newer DISA stuff, but on the M54 motor you can, in most cases, test and isolate the DISA noise by just unplugging power to the DISA unit at idle. If the rattling stops when you unplug it, then you just identified the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

HEY VAPER posted:

Condolences, but he should have worn a helmet.